Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Valiant

Author Topic: Valiant
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't exactly a novel--more like a novella. But here it is:

Spcae Opera, unfinished. Just need comments on the first 13 for now.

Valiant

1. The Death

There’s no sunlight in space.

Valiant watched the stars wink at him as the blood drained from his veins. He couldn’t hear anything but the fading beat of his heart and the sigh of the woman biting his neck.

No sunlight in space. Perfect place for vampires.

What was her name again? His mind was fuzzy. He’d drunk too much. Things grew still. Dark.

The woman with the curves and the long dark hair bit him. She smiled and kissed him like she was starving. Well she was, but not for what he’d assumed.

2. Before

“How many’d you get, Val?”

Valiant turned to his wingman, Ben. “Ten. Record low.” That last one had come right at him. Too easy. This war was getting boring.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 27, 2007).]

Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
Having a hard time figuring out who, what, when, where, how, and most importantly, WHY here.

Kinda vague and lacking a hook, Pixy.

The numbers sort of remind me of more an instruction sheet rather than the unfolding of a tale.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
it's a little odd for the setup, but intriguing. I think the no sunlight angle needs a little work. It's not that there's no sunlight, but depending on whether or not they are close to a star/planet, it is not defuse, bouncing all over the place, filling up every nook and cranny. Or is it that the vampires are from earth and only earth's sun affects them?

also the line "The woman with the curves and the long dark hair bit him. She smiled and kissed him like she was starving. Well she was, but not for what he’d assumed." seems like she goes for the throat and then backs off. how about
"The volupuous woman with the long dark hair bit him, then smiled and tenderly kissed the wound she had just inflicted, then bit him again, as if she was starving."

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
There’s no sunlight in space.

My first thought was, "Sure there is--how else would it get to the surface of various planets?" Then you have him looking at stars--a testament to the fact that sunlight does pass through space. By the time I figured out what you really meant--that it's safe for vampires--I was already totally sceptical about the story.

It actually sounds like a cool premise: vampires in space. However, I don't care a lick about Valiant and have no reason to invest myself in caring about him since you clearly state that he dies. Since he's your title character and POV, I figure that he's also the main character.

Perhaps it might be better to drop the first "There’s no sunlight in space" thought or start with them going to the bar instead?

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe, with all these knowledgeables quibbling with 'no sunlight' you should make a reference to "day" instead of sun.

I, for one, think you've effectively opened your premise. Why go back, though? If you're more interested in the war side of it, by all means--just make it a little more interesting. That he's bored, and so far has no other personality as we can tell, does not make us want to go on with the book, though. What's going to happen now he's a vampire? That's not enough of a problem (in this vamp-sated age) to make someone go on, unless you show us all the complications pretty soon

I have to work hard to get enough suspense into my beginnings, so I speak from bitter experience: you've got all the raw stuff here. But you need to bring it forward quickly.

I wouldn't know, but I think Bored In Space has probably been done to death.
And with vampires, I think it's the mood evoking that readers love to find.
Fun concept! Don't let it slip your fingers.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

1. The Death

There’s no [sunlight<--Maybe daylight..] in space.

Valiant watched the stars wink at him as the blood drained from his veins. He couldn’t hear anything but the fading beat of his heart and the sigh of the woman [biting<--Is she masticating, or was it just one bite? IMHO - "Sucking the bite in"] his neck.

No sunlight in space. Perfect place for vampires.

What was her name again? His mind was fuzzy. He’d drunk too much. Things grew still. Dark.

The woman with the curves and the long dark hair bit[She's a biter! I think this goes beyond vampirism. ] him. She smiled and kissed him like she was starving. Well she was, but not for what he’d assumed.

2. Before

“How many’d you get, Val?”[This threw me at first.

Valiant turned to his wingman, Ben. “Ten. Record low.” That last one had come right at him. Too easy. This war was getting boring.

“So, you going to The Pond? I need a drink.”

Overall, I like it. It's just structured a little wierd.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PatEsden
Member # 3504

- posted      Profile for PatEsden           Edit/Delete Post 
Besides the sunlight/daylight thing, this beginning totally hooked me.
Posts: 295 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ValleyPastor
Member # 5467

- posted      Profile for ValleyPastor   Email ValleyPastor         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it as a whole.

Would substitute "daylight" for "sunlight."

Maybe something like "woman whose mouth was at his throat" instead of "biting his neck." "Biting" is too easily interpreted as repeated action.

"Woman with the curves" is great. But did she bite him, then kiss him, or was the kiss first and then the bite? I don't picture the vamp beginning to feed and then letting go for a kiss.

Who names their kid Valiant? Even as a nickname it seems more like knights & dragons than space. Do we find out how he got saddled with it?

"Record low": When we're speaking of "getting" things in war, isn't higher usually better?

I like Space Opera, and space vampires have interested me ever since Moore's "Shambleau." I'd read more.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pixydust
Member # 2311

- posted      Profile for pixydust   Email pixydust         Edit/Delete Post 
These are all great comments. Thanks! I'll be back soon with a new opening.
Posts: 811 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I'm not much into modern vampire tales, so I had no idea that Valiant might be coming back as a vampire (like ArachneWeave assumed). I vaguely thought that something special (beyond feeding on him) would be necessary for that. (After all, if every feeding produced a vampire, it wouldn't take very long before all spacers--and earthlings!--were vampires.)

I just looked "vampire" up on Wikipedia. Very interesting. I guess I'm not totally out of it. To quote: "This theory...that a single bite turns the victim into a vampire...is not generally the case in most vampire lore."

[This message has been edited by DebbieKW (edited May 28, 2007).]

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.