Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Fairy Tale Fantasy

Author Topic: Fairy Tale Fantasy
sephina
Member # 5596

- posted      Profile for sephina   Email sephina         Edit/Delete Post 
Stretched out in the shade of Grandmother Willow, Brink, the strongest of the trymphs watched as the wind stirred the tree’s branches. The moan and creak of the old woman’s wood, the clatter as the long tendrils bounced together and the shush of leaves in the strong breeze created the symphony Brink had come to hear. His moss colored skin gave the illusion he was just another of Grandmother’s root knees.
A sigh teased at the edge of the music. Brink sat up and in four hops he clung to side of a neighboring oak his fingers curled around the edge of the bark. He climbed the trunk and emerged among the top most branches. ‘Human,’ the sigh whispered again.

I am doing a rewrite of a couple of fairy tales, trying to mesh some of the elements of both together. This little section started as an aside and I decided to add it as the prologue. I write like I read a book for every room and mood, many projects started only one that has moved on to the second draft statis.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alye
Member # 5017

- posted      Profile for Alye   Email Alye         Edit/Delete Post 
The 'sigh' confused me a bit at first time I read it, but the second time I popped out of Skimmer Mode and reread it, it fit better.

The other part "Brink sat up and in four hops he clung to side of a neighboring oak his fingers curled around the edge of the bark." It didn’t work for me. You could leave out the 'sat up' as he would have had to gotten up to hop up a tree. And, 'four hops' why so precise? A ‘few hops’, works as well for me visually, but a precise number in a loose flowing prose felt off to me.

My take:
In a few hops, Brink climbed up the side of a neighboring oak. His fingers curled around the edge of the bark, as he clung.

A few grammatical mistakes, but that is the easiest to fix, just keep in mind it is the hardest mistake for a reader to get over.

I would read more if you like. I am a Fey buff so this is right up my alley.

Posts: 126 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
*has taken Alye's name*

This sounds cool. The line about his color throws me out of Brink's POV, though. You can probably streamline it, by referring to his consciousness of matching Grandmother Willow. You could possibly help us enter his psyche more already by framing the idea the way he's thinking, too.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and that also makes the reference to him as the strongest too prescriptive. Is this omniscient? I'm sorry if I'm off here. Omni is so rare, I wasn't thinking of it as a possibility.
Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sephina
Member # 5596

I reread the full prologue and I did write it in omniscient. I introduce the mother of the MC at the end of the prologue and then the rest of the story is in POV of the two MC's. I would be happy to send the first twenty pages for any to read with a story summary. Just give me a week I'm changing abodes and will be up to my neck in boxes this week.

Thanks for all the imput.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked it. I'd read on.
My one minor nit was the name "Grandmother Willow." I don't know if this is a big enough deal to care, but that was the name of a living willow tree in the Disney movie Pocahontas. Not a big deal, and since no one else mentioned it, most people probably won't notice.
I have a three year old daughter. That's my excuse.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hunter
Member # 4991

- posted      Profile for Hunter   Email Hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Do we need to know so early that Brink is the strongest of the trymphs? I don't know what a trymph is, so the fact that he's the strongest doesn't mean much to me. I like the little bits of description like his moss covered skin.

"Sigh whispered" I have a little problem with this. I'm not sure what's going on. And I don't think a sigh can whisper.

"Edge of the bark" - did you mean edge of the trunk? Or is he really small so that his hands curl around the ridges of the bark? Like I said, I don't know what a trymph is so you're gonna have to give me clues as to size, physiology (is he humanoid), and so on.

I like the scene overall. Brink is just kicking back listening to the forest sing and now a human has come to ruin it. I liked Grandmother Willow and her old knees. I think you could delete roots and readers would still get what you were refering to.

Posts: 83 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Grandma Willow didn't bother me although I also had the Disney moment. I also know that Native Americans have called willow trees that for far longer than Disney has been around.

The images and voice are very nice.

I'm not sure I need to know he's the strongest of the trymphs. I would like to know what they are.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, sounds very interesting - like someone told me before, there isn't enough fairytales. I am like you , many writing projects and some at various stages. Good luck with this and keep it up!

[This message has been edited by TMan1969 (edited June 28, 2007).]

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to read more. I like the tone, but you need to proofread more carefully. Here is a word by word criticism.

Stretched out in the shade of Grandmother Willow, Brink, the strongest of the trymphs(COMMA) watched as the wind stirred the tree’s branches. The moan and creak of the old woman’s wood(THIS DOESN'T QUITE WORK -- TRY "OF GRANDMOTHER'S WOOD" or "OF THE OLD WOMAN'S BRANCHES), the clatter as the long tendrils bounced together (COMMA) and the shush of leaves in the strong breeze created the symphony Brink had come to hear. His moss(HYPHEN)colored skin gave the illusion he was just another of Grandmother’s root knees. (GOOD, BUT TOO CLOSE TO TOLKIEN???)

A sigh teased at the edge of the music. Brink sat up and in four hops he clung to side of a neighboring oak(COMMA) his fingers curled around the edge of the bark.(GOOD. THIS GIVES HIS SIZE -- TINY) He climbed the trunk and emerged among the top most branches. ‘Human,’ the sigh whispered again.

This holds up well on second and third reading. Hint on punctuation, if a parenthetical phrase opens with a comma, it must close with a comma. I, to avoid the monster, hid. (2 commas.) But: I hid to avoid the monster. (no commas) Also a two-word adjective takes a hyphen. The three-toed sloth. A two-word predicate does not. The sloth had three toes.

Buy Strunk and White, The Elements of Style and read it from cover to cover. Then read it again. Then read it again.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sephina
Member # 5596

Thanks for all the imput. I am sitting at the library responding to this because we moved into a new home in the country and have had trouble getting internet access. I will send the first twenty pages to all who said they would be interested in about a week. Thanks, Julie B.
writeratheart
Member # 5758

- posted      Profile for writeratheart   Email writeratheart         Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked it and i'd deffinently read more
i'm curious as to what a trymph is?
well done, keep up the good work

Posts: 9 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.