Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Other Novel - (start of )- thank you for suggestions

Author Topic: Other Novel - (start of )- thank you for suggestions
Gisele9
Member # 6528

- posted      Profile for Gisele9           Edit/Delete Post 
It was quite ironic the Streets were playing ‘dry your eyes mate’ on the radio when she dumped me. I know I should have been listening to her final goodbye speech, , but when I went to touch her and the lyrics were ‘he tried to pull her close out of sheer desperation’ … it was just all weird.

I watched her drive off in her Peugot and indicate at the end of Clapham High Street. This was another bizarre thought, but it looked weird that she was indicating, kind of cruel. She was driving away thinking she’ll never ever see me again and then thought of indicating. Maybe I’m reading to much into that, though.

So, for some random unknown reason, I’m walking around St. Johns Wood. Don’t ask me why, I’ve never been anwhere posher

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited September 29, 2007).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like an interesting beginning to me. Your character seems to have interesting insights, which I like. "Indicating" is an odd word to me, but I think that might be a Britishism?

The switch at the end to present kind of threw me off, since I had assumed the previous events were contemporaneous. Also, I never buy the "For some reason"... if he or she wandered there, he or she wandered there. If he or she was transported there, he was transported there.

Which brings me to...

What genre is this? There's no indication of speculative elements except, perhaps, the odd coincidences. I'm not critiquing the fact that it's not speculative, I just like to know so I don't start trying to read fantasy/ sci fi in between the lines.

(Oh, right, forgive my manners. Welcome to Hatrack! It's nice to see people dive right in.)

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited September 29, 2007).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Gisele9, and welcome to Hatrack, where my advice is usally confusing!

I like this, there's just a couple of things I think I would change.

quote:
So, for some random unknown reason

I would go for either one or the other. For some random... or: For some unknown...

quote:
but it looked weird that she was indicating,

it seemed weird, or: it was weird? But I like this sentance, I like this.

annepin, what would you call 'indicating?' Singalling? Yes, it is British.

Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, "signaling". "Signaled left" or "put on her turn signal." I think it's pretty easy to figure out, though, what's going on.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume this is a different story from the one you posted the 2nd chapter start for?

quote:
It was quite ironic the Streets were playing ‘dry your eyes mate’ on the radio when she dumped me. I know I should have been listening to her final goodbye speech, , but when I went to touch her and the lyrics were ‘he tried to pull her close out of sheer desperation’ … it was just all weird.

I'd start with the fact of the song, then say "Ironic." Some weird punctuation going on here. Pretend you reader doesn't listen to this music, and don't know anything other than what you put on the paper. For example, I have no idea what era or stereotype you may be trying to convey by citing "The Streets" and "Dry Your Eyes Mate." For all I know, you made them up.

Also, I'm being lazy and assuming your POV character is male, but in today's interestingly configured society, you might want to specify gender. And try to give us someone's name. She's breaking up with POV character. It'd be easy to slip in some vocative interjection on her part to give us the name.

quote:
I watched her drive off in her Peugot and indicate at the end of Clapham High Street. This was another bizarre thought, but it looked weird that she was indicating, kind of cruel. She was driving away thinking she’ll never ever see me again and then thought of indicating. Maybe I’m reading to much into that, though.

If I was sufficiently well-traveled, I probably know that in Australia (I'm presuming) 'indicate' means what 'signal' means in my neck of the woods. Avoid the need to translate by saying "the indicator lights blinked as she approached the end of Clapham..."

I didn't get the cruelty in her indicating. For most people it's either habit or they don't indicate. Doesn't matter that no one would see but him. He could interpret it as cruel, but then you have to explicitly go into his preception that he's the only one who can see the lights, that she seems to be doing this on purpose, "Right turn, away from you, chap..." Whatever.

quote:
So, for some random unknown reason, I’m walking around St. Johns Wood. Don’t ask me why, I’ve never been anwhere posher

I don't know St. Johns Wood is posh. So why is a girl driving a Peugeot recently hooked with a guy who presumably is a low life? And why would she dump him in the middle of a strange neighborhood at night? (These are not necessarily questions that make me want to read on.)

Meh. OK, but it doesn't draw me in.

[This message has been edited by meg.stout (edited September 30, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by meg.stout (edited September 30, 2007).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bobbieanne
Member # 6277

- posted      Profile for bobbieanne   Email bobbieanne         Edit/Delete Post 
I love this part: "I watched her drive off in her Peugot and indicate at the end of Clapham High Street. This was another bizarre thought, but it looked weird that she was indicating, kind of cruel. She was driving away thinking she’ll never ever see me again and then thought of indicating. Maybe I’m reading to much into that, though." Without saying "I was hurting," you're really showing it there. Now I feel it, too. Generally this is well written. I like the flow very much. You do use "weird" in paragraph one and two. I'd read on.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.