Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Crucible and Cauldron - 95,000 words

Author Topic: Crucible and Cauldron - 95,000 words
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
Title: Crucible and Cauldron
Length: 95,000 words (first draft)
Readers?: Yes, please!

Marta giggled as the swing hung at the point where she floated. The man in the white and gold cloak had drawn a few more steps closer. She could only see him when the swing hit the highest point and she could see the road at the bottom of the hill their house sat on.

"Feels like I'm flying," she yelled.

"You're going to fall and break your head," her older sister Rosa said. "Come here and read this to me." She sat closer to their house, bent over the story book Father had given her a few minutes ago.

"I'm going to jump. Bet I can make it to the road."

"Don't!" Rosa shouted.

"Here I go!"

Thanks to Deb for reminding me to post this. This is the first 13 from my recent novel. It'll be ready to send out in a week or two if anyone is interested. You don't have to read the whole thing, just a few chapters is fine, too.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 04, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Hook!

Well done.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
count me in!
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Marta giggled as the swing hung at the point where she floated. The man in the white and gold cloak had drawn a few more steps closer. She could only see him when the swing hit the highest point and she could see the road at the bottom of the hill their house sat on.

Intriguing, but I'm wishing I had more information on the genre, timeframe, planet/country, etc.

quote:
"Feels like I'm flying," she yelled.

"You're going to fall and break your head," her older sister Rosa said. "Come here and read this to me." She sat closer to their house, bent over the story book Father had given her a few minutes ago.

I'm wishing I had something to pin their ages.

quote:

"Don't!" Rosa shouted.

"Here I go!"

On the initial read I got the impression that Marta can actually fly...

Send me the first 1000-2000 words if you'd like.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeffBarton
Member # 5693

- posted      Profile for JeffBarton   Email JeffBarton         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to take a look at it.
Posts: 243 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too.
Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

I have an important job interview in a couple hours. When I get back, I'll start sending it out to those who requested. Thanks for the offers.

Meg, thank you for the feedback. Good points. I can work the ages in easily enough (their on the next page, but it's easy to move them up.) I'm not sure how to work in information on the genre and so forth, but I'll see what I can come up with. (Just FYI it's a Fantasy version of Early Modern Italy.)

Quick question, though: what part gave the impression that Marta really could fly? (She can't ... yet. It's actually a bit of sublte foreshadow--but maybe not subtle enough?)

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi lehollis,

It was the phrasing of "the point where she floated." I would have characterized that as the top of the arc or the point where she became weightless or something. "She floated" spoke of active floating, and I had to read it a couple of times to realize that wasn't what you meant to imply (yet).

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Thanks Meg!

Interestingly, I used "the point where she became weightless" in the original, but I changed it because I used the same phrase on the following page and I didn't like the repeat. I'll see what I can do.

debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
maybe it would be clearer if you used the weightless bit on the first mention, and floated on second, as by that time you would already have made clear what you mean.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

Okay, emails are sent to those you indicated interest.

Like I said, this is just the rough draft. Grammar will be rough, especially. I'm more interested in impressions on the general story, to be honest--but any feedback, any at all, is greatly welcome.

hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Good beginning. I would leave out the last sentence because it draws away from the tension you first presented with the mystery man.

-Here is my quick edit

quote:
Marta gripped onto the swing, and giggled as she briefly hung in the air. She saw a man in a white and gold cloak. He was at the bottom of the hill. And he was getting closer.

Feels like I'm flying," she yelled.

Rosa, her older sister, glanced up from her book. "You're going to fall and break your head."

Marta giggled again and continued to swing higher.

Rosa frowned. "Come here and read this to me."

"Don't!" Rosa shouted.

"Here I go!"

I progressively shortened the sentences in the first paragraph, to try to build tension. It's just my style preference for adding tension without being too intrusive.

[This message has been edited by hteadx (edited October 07, 2007).]

Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.