Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Birth of the Dragon New Opening

Author Topic: Birth of the Dragon New Opening
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been looking for a way to tie several rather disjointed bits of narrative together, and also to hint at good things to come. How does this strike you?
In the dark, a child's laughter sparked and echoed off the cave walls, and a dragon stirred and opened one gleaming eye. It had been a long winter in hell that he had been caught between sleep and waking, imprisoned by his own ennui and overly sated appetites. But new game had begun to stir; a new pawn to be thrust across the world board. Nurtured carefully along and played well, this pawn would confound both his old mates and his most bitter enemies, and rejuvenate the Dragon's lust for blood and death.
A long, forked tongue snaked out to taste the winds of change. Soon, he would call his most useful servant, and begin to set the pieces in motion.

When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited October 03, 2007).]

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited October 04, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the dark, a child's laughter sparked and echoed off the cave walls, and a dragon stirred and opened one gleaming eye. It had been a long winter in hell that he had been caught between sleep and waking, imprisoned by his own ennui and overly sated appetites. But new game had begun to stir; a new pawn to be thrust across the world board. Nurtured carefully along and played well, this pawn would confound both his old mates and his most bitter enemies, and rejuvenate the Dragon's lust for blood and death.

I know you know enough to understand the cost and return on not naming characters early, and since the italicized part appears to be a prologue, I think it is fine.

However, I was confused by one switch. It moved from "a dragon" to "he". So it goes from generic and non-specific, to specific. That threw me off, because I wasn't sure who the "he" referred to in the second paragraph.

"Gleaming eye" bothered me because you specify that its in the dark. I guess things in the dark could gleam, but it usually implies a light somewhere for the gleaming to happen. Does that make sense? I guess it depends on how dark it is.

And as a matter that is strictly style, laughter and sparked didn't match up well for me. I guess I prefer descriptions that match--visual with visual, auditory with auditory. As I said, though, that's more of a matter of style and preference.

quote:
A long, forked tongue snaked out to taste the winds of change. Soon, he would call his most useful servant, and begin to set the pieces in motion.

Winds of change brought the old Scorpions song to mind

quote:
When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language of horses. The strong, spare music of their speech had flowed around him everywhere except the chambers of his Father's castle.

I think "very" is somewhat subjective, not really adding much to the description of small boy.

So when he was young, he was around a lot of horses all the time, except when he was in his father's castle? If that's correct, I don't have a problem with the last line. That's the impression it gave me.

These are small nits. None of these break the story. It's a good opening. The prologue promises us a dragon, which has lots of potential for fun, and a child in a cave, which is scary, and then the beginning of an interesting character.

[This message has been edited by lehollis (edited October 03, 2007).]

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Lehollis, you just gave me the dragon's name. Scorpyos. Scorpios? Being a scorpio myself, that seemed just too good to pass up. Thanks, and thanks for the comments. Of course, you know dragons glow with their own inner fire, right?
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I have a character named Scorpios, Deb. He is the king of Pantroth's realm--remember?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Dang! Forgot. Sorry! Help me riff a couple?
deb

lehollis
Member # 2883

quote:
Lehollis, you just gave me the dragon's name. Scorpyos. Scorpios? Being a scorpio myself, that seemed just too good to pass up. Thanks, and thanks for the comments. Of course, you know dragons glow with their own inner fire, right?

I'm glad my musings actually led to something. In honor of the dragon, I've got The Scorpions playing on my iTunes now

Interestingly, some scorpions do glow under a blacklight.

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Scorbo? Scorbys?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Asmodeus
Asmodai
Mortus
Nergal
Azrael
Skalla
Sirrush
Zu
Abraxas
Ahkehku
Apophus
Eingana
Manasa
Nithgor
Typhon
Vermithax

Later on, I might have time to get you more...

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy dragon: Scorch. Girl dragon: Cinder

Q, Casper, Rodham?

I'm not good at this. Never mind.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

next to IAB, we all look like amateurs!
bobbieanne
Member # 6277

- posted      Profile for bobbieanne   Email bobbieanne         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have some Vermithax in my medicine cabinet. I'm partial to Mortus and Skalla myself. Or is this not up for a vote? That first sentence alone, by the way, is enough to make me read on.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

i was thinking about the . . .skakxis? skexxis? they were from Henson's dark crystal. I always kind of liked the word.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Skekses is the official spelling. However, I like the look of "Skexxis": I read it as "Skeck-Sis" (rhyming with "Nexus") not "Skeck-seas".

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 04, 2007).]

meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In the dark, a child's laughter sparked and echoed off the cave walls, and a dragon stirred and opened one gleaming eye. It had been a long winter in hell that he had been caught between sleep and waking, imprisoned by his own ennui and overly sated appetites. But new game had begun to stir;

I like this, although as always I'm itching to rearrange words...

quote:
...a new pawn to be thrust across the world board. Nurtured carefully along and played well, this pawn would confound both his old mates and his most bitter enemies, and rejuvenate the Dragon's lust for blood and death.

You've gone all omniscient on me here. I'd prefer a flicker of dragonish tongue and hint that the scaly beast is deeply satisfied with this development, beyond the mere satisfaction of sating his hunger.

quote:

OK, so I wanted the tongue just a moment before it magically appeared. The business of "most useful servant, and begin to set the pieces in motion" is omniscient again.

quote:
When he was a very small boy, Draga had understood the language of horses. The strong, spare music of their speech had flowed around him everywhere

I assume Draga is the little boy the dragon was salivating over in the prior piece, but it would be nice to tie these two together somehow.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Syxx? Reminds me of Nikki - that's out. Skixys? Skexes, Skexys.
lehollis
Member # 2883

Might want to steer clear of Sexxi, though
debhoag
Member # 5493

that's the wicked witch!
dienstag
Member # 5696

- posted      Profile for dienstag   Email dienstag         Edit/Delete Post 

In the dark, a child's laughter sparked(1) and echoed off the cave walls, and a dragon stirred and opened one gleaming eye.(2) It had been a long winter in hell(3) that he had been caught between sleep and waking, imprisoned by his own ennui and overly sated appetites. But new game had begun to stir; a new pawn to be thrust across the world board. Nurtured carefully along and played well, this pawn would confound both his old mates and his most bitter enemies, and rejuvenate the Dragon's lust for blood and death.
A long, forked tongue snaked out to taste the winds of change.(5) Soon, he would call his most useful servant(6), and begin to set the pieces in motion.

(1) I don't really think of laughter sparking.
(2) I love the one eye opening and lighting up the cave. Nice visual.
(3) I'd add a period and start a new sentence with "He had been...
(4) First, the pawn is thrust, then he is nurtured. It contradicts itself.
(5) Like lehollis said, the Scorpions song. That's the first thing I thought.
(6) Very interesting. I can't wait to find out who the servant is and the rest of the story for that matter. Good job.

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

Q)can you see a laugh in the dark?
A) Only if you use rembrandt and a black light.

BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
lol, deb.

Ooh, this is turning into a novel.
For the first thirteen, you've got a couple of your lengthy sentences there that would have much greater impact if you shortened some of them.

A[/i} child's laughter sparked and echoed off the cave walls[i]. In the dark, a dragon stirred and opened one gleaming eye. For a long hellish winter, he had been caught between sleep and waking, imprisoned by his own ennui and overly sated appetites. But new game had begun to stir; there was a new pawn to be thrust across the world board. Nurtured carefully along and played well, this pawn would confound both his old mates and his most bitter enemies, and rejuvenate the Dragon's lust for blood and death. nice; I like this look inside the dragon's head, so we know what it really thinks and not just what it tells Draga later.

Very nice. Be sure to keep me in mind when you need readers (not that I haven't bugged you a bunch about this already).

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

My goal to day is to read the material i've received from a couple of friends and get it back to them by noon, buy some new sheets and vacuum the house, and then finish the Draga chapter by the end of the day. I'll send it to you tonight, bored crow.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.