Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Stone of Rebuilding - Trying Again

Author Topic: The Stone of Rebuilding - Trying Again
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
I am trying to put together my query package, and want to make sure I have a good first 13. This is a very reworked version of the last first 13 I submitted. Thankyou to those who commented last time and hopefully this is an improvement.

“Happy New Year,” Gavin closed his eyes and found Elli May’s lips on his own.
Screams snapped the kissing couple back to reality.
Gavin opened his eyes and realised he could not tell the difference.
There were no lights; the music was playing too fast. People were still screaming. Irrational panic suddenly bloomed within him. And then five flames flared into being. They lit the room in an eerie way that Gavin though was much worse than complete darkness.
Then Gavin realised one of the flames was floating on the palm of his hand…
But it was not a flame, it was the sun, and it was not on his

Let me know if you would read on,

Grant John

PS Slightly reworked version below.

[This message has been edited by Grant John (edited November 15, 2007).]

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

My take:

quote:

“Happy New Year,” Gavin closed his eyes and found Elli[e?] May’s lips [on his own.<--Weird phrasing. Maybe: with his?]
[Screams snapped<--[Distracted me. I paused to go, huh? Screams snapped? Maybe: Screams disrupted the kissing couple.] the kissing couple back to reality.
Gavin opened his eyes and realised he could not tell the difference [The difference between what and what?].
There were no lights; the music was playing too fast[Like someone speeded it up?]. People were still screaming.<--[Why? What kind of screaming? For the blackout? For the performing band? Is a killer running through the crowd with a chainsaw?] Irrational panic suddenly bloomed within him.<--[Huh? What's he thinking that's "irrational" and "panicked"? Feeling?] [And then<--I don't think you need these two words. F]ive flames flared into being.[Where? In the middle of the floor? Hovering outside the windows?] They lit the room in an eerie way that Gavin though[t?] was much worse than complete darkness.
Then Gavin realised one of the flames was floating on the palm of his hand… [How does he notice the flames, but not know one is in his hand?]

There are a few flaws, which I haven't pointed out:

1) What happened to Elli[e] May?

2) I only know that is a room when you say "They lit the room in an eerie way". It's too vague to formulate a picture. That seems to be a common problem: The band is playing too fast? How? For his taste? What kind of music are they playing? And wouldn't the lights being out (so that--I'm assuming--Gavin can't tell the difference between his eyes being open and closed) affect the band's timing, rhythm, cues, and the overall playing of their instruments and approaching the microphones? What gives Gavin the impression that the light is "eerie"?

3) Though the last line has a hook, it comes from out of the blue--no pun inteded--and seems extremely disjointed. While I might a read a page, based on exploring the idea of sun floating on the palm of his hand, it would be tentatively.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hariolor
Member # 7048

- posted      Profile for Hariolor           Edit/Delete Post 
IB hit alot of the stuff I noticed as well,

quote:

“Happy New Year,” Gavin closed his eyes and found Elli May’s lips on his own. is he surprised that she's kissing him? "found" seems to imply he wasn't expecting the kiss, to me
Screams snapped the kissing couple back to reality.I'm with IB here, I understand what you mean but maybe this could be phrased more clearly.
Gavin opened his eyes and realised he could not tell the difference. again with IB here, maybe rephrase this too
There were no lights redundant with your last statement, no?; the music was playing too fastThis is the first mention of any sort of music. People were still screamingthey were screaming before? since when?. Irrational panic suddenly bloomed within himpanic, in this circumstance, might not be irrational...not sure equating panic with a flower (bloom) is the best WC. Andpersonal peeve - I hate sentences that start with "and" unless it's an intentional stylistic choice then five flames flared the alliteration here throws me off a little from the action into being. They lit the room in an eerie way that Gavin though was much worse than complete darkness.maybe show us what he's thinking, instead of telling us?
Then Gavin realised one of the flames was floating on the palm of his hand…makes me wonder how large these flames are, and why is his palm facing in an orientation that lets a flame float on it? nitpicky, i know, but I don't usually walk around palms-up
But it was not a flame, it was the sunthen why tell us it was a flame?, and it was not on his

I think the premise is very intriguing, and there is definitely a hook present. What I think this could use is some polishing up, because I'd like to keep reading to find out what's going on, but as a reader I'm being jerked in too many directions at once, especially for the first 13 of a story. Maybe it would help to get more intimate with Gavin's thoughts and his perception of what's going on. it should be a really exciting scene, but it's falling a little flat right now for me.

Hope that helps, keep at it!

Posts: 26 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban
Member # 7066

- posted      Profile for Caliban   Email Caliban         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,
I would agree with asking where the Elli went. Beyond that I was definitely hooked. I realy liked the imagery of the sun in the palm of his hand that was not his own. Very intriguing.

[This message has been edited by Caliban (edited November 14, 2007).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a slightly reworked version, hopefully this smoothes out a few chinks.

“Happy New Year,” Gavin closed his eyes and felt Elli May’s lips touch on his own.
Screams ruined the moment.
Gavin opened his eyes, before realising that he could not tell the difference.
There were no lights; the CD player was playing the music backwards. People were still screaming. Elli May was no longer in his arms. He reached out in her general direction before five flames flared appeared in the utter darkness. The sudden light blinded Gavin for a second.
Then he realised one of the flames was floating on the palm of his hand…

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.