Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » ONE HUNDRED HOURS TO KILL A DEAD MAN

Author Topic: ONE HUNDRED HOURS TO KILL A DEAD MAN
pilot27407
Member # 7992

- posted      Profile for pilot27407   Email pilot27407         Edit/Delete Post 
Dry mouth and sweaty hands, what an odd combination, thought Avi Rauch, as he propped his hot, throbbing back against the cold comfort of the gray concrete wall.
He shook his head to clear his mind, and salty sweat drops, mingled with ruby red beads of blood, trickled down the tip of his nose and chin, then fell with agonizing slowness and splatter on the cement floor. Deep inside he knew it wouldn’t be long now.
They undoubtedly would kill him soon as there was nothing left to tell.
Through all that excruciating pain which they inflicted upon him, in long hours of bestial torture, he only felt the exaltation and gratification of a mission accomplished.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited May 18, 2008).]

Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, is this from a novel or a short story?

I don't think it belongs here, so I need to move it to the correct Fragments and Feedback area.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Catchy title though!
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pilot27407
Member # 7992

- posted      Profile for pilot27407   Email pilot27407         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a 140,000 words novel, the hunt for Saddam,... but it's not welcomed in novels,... that's OK.
Posts: 8 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a 140,000 words novel, the hunt for Saddam,... but it's not welcomed in novels,... that's OK.

It's not welcome in novels? Have you posted it in the F&F for Novels yet? I don't see it anywhere. I'm not certain the subject matter would be of particular interest to me per se, but your writing is competent and some people would likely be interested.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

If the wolfe says it's good that means something, since he isn't the kind of chap who hands out nothing but cotton candy.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyraxis
Member # 7990

- posted      Profile for Pyraxis   Email Pyraxis         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, I first read the guy's name as Avi Raunch, so I did a double-take when I got to "hot, throbbing..."

Sick thoughts aside, though, I'm somewhat hooked because I want to see the poor guy escape, but the use of adjectives and alliteration feels grating: "hot, throbbing", "cold comfort", "grey concrete", "ruby red beads", "slowness and spatter". It might also help to break up those first two sentences into several.

I would change "Through all that excruciating pain which they inflicted upon him" to "Through all the excruciating pain which they had inflicted upon him", otherwise it sounds like it's happening currently, instead of before the point where he's slumped against the wall.

Posts: 188 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pilot27407
Member # 7992

Thanks guys and gals,... sorrry... ladies and gentelmen.
One question. If I would like to submit more, a full chapter per ex... where and how could I do it?

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

On Hatrack, in general, you submit the first thirteen lines of whatever you've got. If you're looking for readers to tackle more than just the first thirteen, say a complete short story, a first chapter or two, whatever, then mention that you're looking for readers, and tell people approx. what kind of committment they're looking at (4,000 words, 20 pages, whatever).

Anyone interested will let you know, and then you can email those people the pertinent sections. You can find their email address in the middle of the three buttons at the top of their post.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pilot27407
Member # 7992

Got it. Thanks wolf.
Zero
Member # 3619

Or you could switch out the main character's name and post the rest of the story in separate 13 line instances. So long as you know people will be evaluating each piece as the "beginning" of the story. You could discard those criticisms and focus on those who critique your grammar and style.

Of course, I'm only kidding.

Or am I...

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited May 21, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Zero, if you don't like the way I am doing things, you don't have to stay.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

Kathleen, if you don't understand my humor you don't have to read it.
pilot27407
Member # 7992

where could i post a synopsis for critique?
it's more than 13 lines

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

A synopsis can be posted here as well. I believe that a synopsis can be in excess of 13 lines, though for obvious reasons a shorter synopsis is better than a multi-paged synopsis.

Jayson Merryfield

pilot27407
Member # 7992

I'm trying, but it gets cut to 13 lines.
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Your synopsis gets cut at 13? You should be able to open a new thread, and proceed from there, just be sure to list it as a synopsis.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited May 22, 2008).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.