Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » The Immortality Virus

Author Topic: The Immortality Virus
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been a long time since I've used Hatrack's critiquing forums, but I need a little help with a novel I'm close to completing and I need it from a pair of eyes that hasn't read all or most of the story before. All the usual suspects have read it and one of them suggested adding a new opening scene. So I've played around with this new opening but am not sure if it works. I really want to make sure that the reader leaves this scene with the right impressions of my main character and the world in which she lives.

So, if anyone has a few minutes, this is short -- not quite 1,200 words. The novel is called "The Immortality Virus" and is about a search for a man who changed the world by stopping the aging process.

I'm not a big first-13 person when it comes to novels, but here are a couple of paragraphs to give you a taste for my writing style. If anyone is interested in reading the 1,200-word scene, let me know!

####

Grace could still turn around and go home. No one would stop her, least of all the burly security guard who had dozens of people to scan through and thousands of street urchins to keep out.

“You got business here?” the security guard asked.

She nodded and stepped forward, holding out her left wrist for him to scan. The scanner showed green and the security guard waved her through a set of thick metal doors which stood open for the stream of morning employees and visitors. Her legs seemed to move on automatic, carrying the rest of her with them through the open jaws of the building and into its rocky depths.

Rocky? Her mind snapped back to the present and drank in the unexpected sight. Before her yawned a majestic cavern,

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 25, 2008).]

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the writing and would love to read over some of it.

I have a bit of a busy schedule so cant promise a quick turn around, but send what you like!

Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stammsp
Member # 8000

- posted      Profile for stammsp   Email stammsp         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the intro! I'll gladly read the rest and give you any input I can.

Gina

Posts: 74 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a look-see, if you like.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 1646

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone! I'll get that piece ready to send out today.

Posts: 3567 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also be happy to take a look. I like the intro.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.