Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Those Who Have Fallen (Working Title)

Author Topic: Those Who Have Fallen (Working Title)
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the first 13 of my novel that i need more motivation to write. I love the idea but i've been busy lately. I've already posted this, so you may have seen it before, but I am looking for someone willing to read what i have. Its not very long, just over 4000 words. Let me know, please and thanks. And feel free to comment on the first 13.
----------------------------------------------------

It was war, or so many had imagined. The children ran around the village, throwing rocks and clashing sticks as if swords. They could be heard chanting, their feeble war cries resonating in the fine air. These were just games though, causing no harm to anyone’s well being. Just years before their brethren had done the same, for they spawned the interest. Alex and Adrian are their names.
They clashed swords at the break of dawn every day, swiftly maneuvering around Mr. Dawson’s tree. Many watched from Dawson’s cottage or further North to the crops. Some wonder why they do so. Dawson himself says it came from their childish imaginations. Ulysses the Old would say it was in Alex’s blood to fight. For Adrian had always followed Alex in is

[This message has been edited by OlsenOlsen (edited October 20, 2008).]

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swordsman
Member # 8197

- posted      Profile for Swordsman   Email Swordsman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sentences that begin with "It was . . ." make me go arrgh. Probably editors too.

The tense shift in the last sentence of the first paragraph is jarring; might want to make it a paragraph unto itself, or change it. In the second paragraph I'm still unable to discern if Alex and Adrian are alive (or dead characters from the past).

[This message has been edited by Swordsman (edited October 20, 2008).]

Posts: 32 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
honu
Member # 8277

- posted      Profile for honu   Email honu         Edit/Delete Post 
OK the mind picture I get is of a place ...possibly Greece (the naming you use) where children reenact battles their fathers fought years before. The language is difficult for me to follow in that it seems broken or choppy....it seems like MC is Alex but I am unsure
Posts: 690 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
This has some very awkward language in it--I have a hard time reading something this rough, so I can't volunteer to read what you have. I will write out what it makes me think as I'm reading it--don't take offense, I'm trying to show you the effect the errors have on a reader.

It was war, or so many had imagined. The children ran around the village, throwing rocks and clashing sticks as if swords. They could be heard chanting, their feeble war cries resonating in the fine
[uh...this is just filler description: "fine air" doesn't mean anything by itself.]
air. These were just games though, causing no harm to anyone’s well being. Just years before their brethren
[because of the phrasing here, it sounds like *their brethren* is something other than just fellow human male beings. Why not something less misleading, like *their brothers* or *other boys*?]
had done the same, for they spawned the interest.
[The interest in what? This sentence doesn't work unless The Interest is an army division, mystical power, or some other specific phrase.]

Alex and Adrian are their names.
[TENSE makes no sense here. I understand the beginning as quasi past-perfect or something, and leaping into the present tense jars.]
They clashed [back to past here] swords at the break of dawn every day, swiftly maneuvering around Mr. Dawson’s tree.
[Okay, okay. Now I really think you're confused about what's going on yourself. "Mr. Dawson" screams Britisher or American middle class to me. Up till now, I've thought (because of the archaic grammar) that this was set way in the past.]
Many watched from Dawson’s cottage [does he hold many tea parties?] or further North to the crops. Some wonder why they do so. Dawson himself says it came from their childish imaginations. Ulysses the Old would say it was in Alex’s blood to fight. For Adrian had always followed Alex in is

I'm sorry, this reads as non-native English. If it is not your first language, you need to work more on basic grammatical matters. It's too hard to evaluate a story for itself when the language is unprofessional.
(If English is your native language, you *also* need to do this.)

Don't be down-hearted. I'm sure you can get better.

[This message has been edited by ArachneWeave (edited November 18, 2008).]

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Desmond Hodges
Member # 6884

- posted      Profile for Desmond Hodges   Email Desmond Hodges         Edit/Delete Post 
The language in the first sentence throws me a bit. Also I would like to see the sentence where you introduce Alex and Adrian starting an new paragraph. All that aside I think I would like to read more.
Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.