Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » Naoque's Darkness

Author Topic: Naoque's Darkness
Nicaria_ Black
Member # 8401

- posted      Profile for Nicaria_ Black   Email Nicaria_ Black         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry I have re written my first 13 lines and pasted it farther down ^_^

[This message has been edited by Nicaria_ Black (edited January 04, 2009).]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArachneWeave
Member # 5469

- posted      Profile for ArachneWeave   Email ArachneWeave         Edit/Delete Post 
You have written Chapter 3 at the top there. If that's what you think works best for the 13 lines here...you may need to reconsider where your story really begins.

I'm one of the many writer who has discovered one of their manuscripts had three chapters at the beginning that didn't belong in the novel, so don't despair if you realize your true beginning is later.

Another odd thing is that I would not at all think from this that the story had been going on so long. So much exposition, and basic description. It's a bit uninteresting, but is even less promising for the story being exciting once you get into it. Why no action yet?

Just some questions that come to mind on reading this.

Posts: 218 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicaria_ Black
Member # 8401

- posted      Profile for Nicaria_ Black   Email Nicaria_ Black         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry I was going to make it chapter three but decided that Landers wasn't my actual main character I forgot to change it so sorry I could only post 13 lines but to make it simple Lander is having dreams about hearing Naoque thank you
Posts: 22 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in stories that feature anti-gravity, but this one needs some work.

What's "GS"? It's hard to get engaged with the story when one doesn't know.

Landers presumably knows who "they" are, and it would be more engaging to tell us than to withold -- for me, tension in a story comes from what the MC doesn't know, not what the narrator knows and chooses to withold.

MC spends about four sentences getting out of the door and down the hallway: I think you could edit that down substantially or even eliminate it, and get to the action -- I became interested when he got to the gravity chamber.

But I lost my willing suspension of disbelief when the idea of gravity holding him to a star surfaced. If this is possible in your story, I need to build belief in the possibility. (Do you really need the qualifier about holding him to a planet or star? We all know what gravity does, and by eliminating such redundancies you can get more from your 13 lines, and engage the reader more strongly by delivering value with each word.)

I note from your note that this is actually a dream sequence, a cliche opening that will likely make the story hard to sell.

Finally, the story feels uninteresting because the narrator seems to have little interest in it: poor sentence structure, weak punctuation and a spelling mistake that gives one pause, until one realizes it's a mistake -- deify should be defy. Such problems usually deter people from critiquing stories, because they're simply too hard to read and make sense of.

Hope this helps,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicaria_ Black
Member # 8401

thank you I'll try to make it more intersting

Nicaria_ Black
Member # 8401

I decided to take some advice and put more intrest in to my story and more action I'm more pleased with this beginning then the first please tell me what you think...

Chapter one: Galaxy Station

Hyten Landers sat on his bed staring in to the darkness. A white orb hovered over the top of the door. It launched a red laser that scanned the whole room before stopping on his forehead, “Landers, Hyten: Age: 18, Years attended at the GS: 5.” The red beam retracted and a blue laser took its place, “Battles won in the Anti Gravity Chamber 126.” The white orb rotated to the other side of the room and the laser turned green. “Battles lost in the Anti Gravity Chamber, Zero.”
The orb opened and released three other orbs that scattered acrossed the room and three new Lasers latched to his neck. “ State what the GS is?”
Landers glared at the white orb, the wrong answer could mean his death. “The GS, Also known as the Galaxy Station is a space

[This message has been edited by Nicaria_ Black (edited January 07, 2009).]

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, what a difference! Now, I'm interested: I can feel some sympathy for Landers, guess that he'd like to be free and that this is his story, and I know something of his environment.

I'd suggest a couple of small changes:

"that scanned the whole room before stopping on his forehead"

And

"The orb opened and released three other orbs that scattered across the room"

But they're minor, easily corrected in a subedit. I'd encourage you to write the story with this kind of energy and focus, and edit such small things afterwards.

Good luck with this,
Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicaria_ Black
Member # 8401

Thanks again that sounds better ^_^
JASU
Member # 8406

- posted      Profile for JASU   Email JASU         Edit/Delete Post 
As a late arrival, I missed the first posted version, but this one pulled me in immediately. Clean imagery and focused action kept my attention all the way through.

Taking the first thirteen lines at face value, I only paused to wonder why the orb would ask a life or death question that seemed so general and easily answered? Even so, I would like to read more.

-SU

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also arriving late on this one, and the rewritten version definitely pulls me in. I only have one complaint that someone has yet to speak of.

quote:
It let out a red laser that scanned the whole room before stopping on his forehead

The bolded here feels a little bit passive to me. It feels as if the object is just trudging along without a care in the world, and then decides to "let out" some lasers. Perhaps it could be more aggressively worded, to show the nature of the situation?

For example: "It shot out", "Lasers burst from...", etc..

It's nothing big, but small things can make all the difference

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicaria_ Black
Member # 8401

thanks I felt like that line was missing something thank you for showin what it was ^_^
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad I could help.
Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.