Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Fragments and Feedback for Books » chapter 5

Author Topic: chapter 5
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Catherine had her husband, John, home and to herself. The two of them sat at the kitchen table talking in low voices when footsteps crossed the porch. The front door opened, letting in a blast of freezing air.

John gripped Catherine's arm. A neighbor would have knocked. "I'll see what's wanted," he told her.

"I'm coming with you."

In the living room, the fireplace embers glowed, revealing two Guardians near the door. In contrast to the black hair, their white skin showed up eerily. The one on the left turned his head toward Catherine. His eyes caught the faint firelight and reflected it all silver-like. She recognized him by the blueish line on his throat: Scar.

Any comments?
Is anyone willing to read the rest of the chapter?

[ July 01, 2013, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Kathleen Dalton Woodbury ]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl F
Member # 10040

- posted      Profile for Carl F   Email Carl F         Edit/Delete Post 
The first sentence feels odd, to me.
Perhaps; John was home at last and all Cathrine's.
or; Cathrine and John sat at the kitchen table, holding hands and talking in low voices. She had him to herself at last. Footsteps crossed---
"showed up" would be better as 'glowed,' "made an eery contrast', something with more class.
'His name was Scar.' then give us some context to know how she knows him. Was she afraid?
Sure, send me the chapter. I'll do what I can.
Carl

Posts: 34 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm...I have pretty much (almost certainly)decided not to open with John and Catherine. That IS the beginning of chapter 5 although it does open a new part of the story.
I have returned to fixing on the original beginning.
However...hmmm...I'm going to send you chapter 5 for comment. No one has yet seen anything much past chapter one, and I am curious. Would you mind looking at chapter one, too? Compare them perhaps?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.