Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Heinlein Centennial (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Heinlein Centennial
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Is any one here going to be entering? If so we could start a group. The deadline is June 1st. We can organize once we see if anyone is interested.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
What's this about? Is there a premise? A website with more info?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
We've discussed it before on Hatrack. My big question is: "Reflecting the spirit, ideas, and philosophies contained in the works of Robert A. Heinlein"--what does that mean?
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds pretty open to me. I figure if it's sci-fi they'll probably take it. Wikipedia looks like they have some general info on what the story might need to include. Sounds like fun. I might jump in on this. Have a sci-fi that could use a little work, but that just might fit in with this contest. And hey, no entry fee. Can't balk at that.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisOwens
Member # 1955

- posted      Profile for ChrisOwens   Email ChrisOwens         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true. Seems all I churn out is fantasy. I guess a pro could control their creative process instead of allowing it to control them.
Posts: 1275 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

My guess is that they are looking for Sci-Fi that is reminicent of the whimsical, wonder inducing, style that Heinlein had-- Not hard science.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I doubt if they're looking for writings that are exactly like Heinlein's stuff...besides, Heinlein's stuff varied considerably over the years and most of it doesn't much look like anything eles in his oevere. (If that's how that's spelled.)

Sounds like an interesting contest, though...good luck, you guys.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Heinlein's works pre-dated my interest in Sci-Fi. I read Job: A comedy of justice when it debuted but little else. I am familiar with Starship Troppers and much of his other work is well known.
Is Job a good indication of his style? Is there another author that you could compare him to? Harry Harrison, for example?
I got a couple of things in mind, but I would like to comply with the spirit of this competetion.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Job is a good example of his style, but not the best by far. It is hard to compare his earlier works with anything else. He and Asimov brought me into the Sci-fi world with titles:
Have Spacesuit will travel
Starbeast
The red hills of Mars
Farnhams Freehold
and Asimov's
I, Robot
Caves of Steel

If I were to compare him to anyone it would be early Asimov, although Asimov and Clarke were more "Hard" in the Science Dept.

I would recomend sampling some more of his works- even if you don't enter the competition. It is classic.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Job is representitive of Heinlein's "late" period---say, from Friday to To Sail Beyond the Sunset---that is, to the bitter end. Heinlein, apparently, liked to "mix it up"---experiment with and publish different kinds of storytelling. (I only enjoyed the second half of Job and To Sail---nothing much of any of the others.)

But I wouldn't start with them. I'd start either with his 1950s work---either his so-called "juveniles," or his adult novels. There are a dozen or so of the former---you should be able to find Red Planet or Time for the Stars or Space Cadet, recently back in print, or maybe a few others. For the adults, try Double Star or The Puppet Masters. (Beware when reading the latter---a great deal of it has been borrowed or ripped off in later SF and horror, books and movies.)

If you do get hooked---it's likely---you'll want to move on to his other stuff, from his 1940s shorter work through his Sat. Eve. Post-era shorts to his later and longer work like Stranger in a Strange Land. Save everything after Stranger for the end.

Comparing Heinlein to anyone...well, it's hard to say, 'cause he's influenced so many people in the SF field. I wouldn't compare him to Asimov and Clarke. Perhaps Spider Robinson might be a good bet (he recently completed a Heinlein juvenile from an outline left behind---I must really read it one of these days), though Robinson was influenced maybe as much by Sturgeon as by Heinlein...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

So how many are definately in?
snapper
Member # 7299

If I am welcome, I'd love to participate. So that would be one yes.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Of course you are. I have never organized something like this. What is the typical protocal?
snapper
Member # 7299

We can use the WOTF model. First list who is in.

Bent Tree
Snapper

If anyone else wants in paste these names onto your post and add your name.
We need to set some deadline dates. One is for early, first draft crits and a second for line crits. Whoever wants in agreeds to crit everyone else's submissions. How about these dates for deadlines to send your stories out to be reviewed.
April 7th first drafts
May 7th line crits

Should give us enough time to write, crit, fix, and send something by the June 1st deadline. What do you think?

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Can we add an early date for outline/summary/plot critique, or is it not Kosher? I would hate to develop a seriously flawed idea. I am a newbie.
snapper
Member # 7299

That sounds fine to me, although that is generally what we do for the first crit. We could move that up if you like or you can just send me what you got whenever its ready. I already have something that is in the first draft stage. I need to make some changes and do a better editing job on it, so I should be ready before april anyway. I'm open to whatever you want to do.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I'll just shoot you an email with the two Ideas I have. Mabey you can help me chose.
snapper
Member # 7299

Send them away. I'll help anyway that I can.
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I might try to give this a go. I've been kicking around a story idea for a while that might work.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I know, I'm monstrously late (Only joined Hatrack today), but I would still like to be in on this group. Wouldn't be surprised ya'll said no.

I know a lot about Heinleine and have, since this morning, created a complete storyline and written 700 words toward that story.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Hey Guys. So Far it is only Snapper and I. The deadline is June 1st, so there is plent of time. We have been busy with WOTF. I don't even have my first draft done. You have been added to the list. Stick to the dates. They are important.

Bent Tree
Snapper
Kahlan
Patrick James

If anyone else wants in paste these names onto your post and add your name.
We need to set some deadline dates. One is for early, first draft crits and a second for line crits. Whoever wants in agrees to crit everyone else's submissions. How about these dates for deadlines to send your stories out to be reviewed.
April 7th first drafts
May 7th line crits
Postmarked Manuscripts before June 1st

If anyone finnishes there drafts early, and wants an earlier crit in addition to the first draft crit on April 7, feel free to send them to me. Welcome guys...Happy writing.

Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone wants to send their ms., to me go right ahead, though I warn you; I have never critiqued before.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. I'm thinking about finishing the clean-up on my honorable mention and sending it in to this one.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

quote:
If anyone wants to send their ms., to me go right ahead, though I warn you; I have never critiqued before.

You will find it also helps your writing. It makes you more critical of your own work. Try a few in F&F before April.

quote:
Yeah. I'm thinking about finishing the clean-up on my honorable mention and sending it in to this one.

Just paste in when you decide. I look forward to your crit if you decide to join, especially first draft.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Bent Tree
Snapper
Kahlan
Patrick James
KayTi

I am definitely in. I have a story from last year that's already written that is a great fit, so I am planning to enter it, but it needs more eyes on it.

I am a huge heinlein fan, though I did not read many of his YA stuff, in fact somehow missed it.

My all time favorite and the one I recommend to most people is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. I have used it as inspiration for my YA NANO novel project last year, that needs my attention now that I think of it. Great story.

I would say the things about Heinlein that set him apart are general optimistic plots, liberal sexual practices (some would find these disquieting, I think they get more out there in his later works), importance/role of family, adventurous main characters, strong females but somehow still in somewhat stereotypical female roles (remember he wrote much of his stuff in the 50s and 60s I believe.) He did a lot of near-earth or earth-set sci-fi (moon, stranger in a strange land). He did some alternate universe stuff (farnham's freehold).

OK, there's more, but that's a start of my personal brain dump about heinlein. There are often cats in his books. Redheads too. Cloning. Meaning of death. Delaying of aging. Long-life. Family. Lots of family (as I scan my bookshelf I keep lighting on the fact that family seems a theme in every single book...)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Glad to have you KayTi. Farnhams Freehold is one of my favorites as is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I enjoy his love of cats. The way he characterizes them is second to none. Although I am allergic, so I haven't had the opportunity to befriend many. I too have an affinity for redheads, so I can appreciate his taste and descripions of them.

I grew up on his YA; to me it was an awe inspiring introduction to sci-fi. Without it, I would not have been sucked into the genre.

Since your piece is done, feel free to send it over if you want an early look.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I'm thinking that I'd like to at least try to get in on this contest. My next WotF story is coming along well enough that I think I'll have time to adapt an older story of mine to this contest nicely. So, count me in. Here's a new list of participants:

Bent Tree
Snapper
Kahlan
Patrick James
KayTi
WriterDan

And thanks for all of the Heinlein info KayTi. Have only ever read Stranger/StrangeLand of his before.

Jump in IAB!

Probably won't have my first draft done before the first deadline though. Still have polishing to do on my WotF entry for this quarter. So, see you all then.

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited March 14, 2008).]

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Does anybody know what usually wins these competitions?

Short and sweet 5,000 words or less.

Long and involved Max. 15,000.

Anyone have any examples?

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Word count doesn't matter at all, other than how well the story is told. It would be an issue if it were 10k and could have been written more concisely at 7k.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I just finished a rough draft. How is everyone doing on theirs?
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Whole story outline complete. I have stalled out at 3,000. I'll pick it up agian and get another 2,000 words in today, though.
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have plotted it, but haven't written anything down yet. Last week was insane at the office, and the weekend was consumed by the NCAA tournament. With the transactions publicly announced and my alma matter out of the tournament, I guess I now have some time to get moving.
Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I am nearly finished with my draft. How is everyone else doing?

Editing to say my draft is done and I'm willing to send it out to whoever is ready.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 30, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Send er along Snapper, You already got a peek at mine.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

One week til first drafts are due. Better get writing people.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm cheating and using my last WotF entry. All I have to do is trim the hell out it, and add a little more.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Sounds VERY familiar there, IAB. Pretty much exactly what I'm doing.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

My first, rough, draft is done. If anyone wants to send me theirs, they may.
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Send it over. I will also send you mine.
snapper
Member # 7299

I've sent my first draft to two people, are the rest of you ready?
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I will be, probably on Tuesday. I'm a trade show and contest now. (My works has already won two more awards--bringing the total to 149--and the major contest day hasn't even arrived yet. It's tomorrow.)
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I am set to recieve. Send them if you got them. You gotta enter to win.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I've returned from my show (won 6 more awards--bringing the total to 154), and can begin exchanging stories now.
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey Khalan and KayTi,

Are you still in this? Kay, I need your address if you are. I haven't received anything form WriterDan, KayTi, or Khalan.
IB are in this? Are you planning on submitting and critiquing?

Fill me.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Sorry all. For some reason thought that today was the day of our deadline instead of yesterday. Anyhow, I'll send the first draft of my story out later on. The beginning still needs some work, but a deadline is a deadline. Looking for everyone else's stories. Bring em on!

[This message has been edited by WriterDan (edited April 08, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Hey, IAB. What are all those awards you're winning? Need some more input so I can feel the appropriate amount of jealousy. Sounds like you did quite well regardless of what they were for. Congrats.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

quote:

*1*Are you still in this? Kay, I need your address if you are.

*2*IB are in this? Are you planning on submitting and critiquing?

1) KayTi is phonetics for K.T., not Kay.

2) Yes. I'm in. I have already critiqued and returned Bent Tree's and WriterDan's. I'll send mine out to you, shortly.

quote:

Hey, IAB. What are all those awards you're winning?

If you'd really like to know, read my blog (or follow the link to my new blog). And thanks.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 09, 2008).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Cool blog. Sounds like your a regular artist. Have you ever thrown anything into the Illustrators of the Future contest? There have been a couple double winners in the past (writer and illustrator). Do you have a posting of some of your work? Couldn't find one from the links on your blog for one. What I saw looked pretty cool. I've always wished that I could draw. But, alas.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Both of my blogs link to Flash Fiction Online, and I'm the artist there.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited April 10, 2008).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.