Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Heinlein Centennial (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Heinlein Centennial
oliverhouse
Member # 3432

- posted      Profile for oliverhouse   Email oliverhouse         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw visitors coming from this link, thought I'd stop in and see who was linking. Thanks, IB.

Just so you know, the little images you see on the story are clickable -- hit them and you get a larger-sized version of the art, which always shows remarkable detail. My favorites are the ones from "The Desert Cold", "The Dyslexicon", and Hatrack's own DJVDakota's "I Speak the Master's Will".

Regards,
Oliver aka Jake

Posts: 671 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, but I don't post my email address. Anyone who has exchanged crits with me before, please feel free to send me a copy of your latest. I have to look at my story again and see if I need to update it...I am using an old story that I like but haven't had a chance to send out yet. I will send a copy to those I can find email addresses for. When I send mine, please take it as an invitation to return the favor.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Got stories from snapper, IAB, BentTree, and Patrick. In Phx for the weekend. Should be able to get those crits back by Wed. Still looking for stories from KayTi and Kahlan.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

OK folks, I sent out my draft to all of you just a minute ago (rich, my second message has the file actually attached, duoh!) Please holler if you didn't receive anything (but, you know, check your junk mail filters first or it'll just lead to a long annoying thing where I send you something and you say you didn't get it then I send you something again and you say you didn't get it and...)

I eagerly await your return stories.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Khalan
Member # 5950

- posted      Profile for Khalan   Email Khalan         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple of stories in my inbox, I promise to turn them back over the weekend.

As for my own, I'm behind the schedule I had hoped to keep, but such is the life of the corporate lawyer. I may miss out on getting an entry in, but I'm hopeful I may yet finish the draft before the contest deadline, even if I miss our internal ones.

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 

Reflecting the spirit, ideas, and philosophies contained in the works of Robert A. Heinlein.

Could someone define that a bit better for me.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
He was a Libertarian, governmental powers should be limited to military and police and NOTHING else, people have the supreme right to fail and no one should be "stolen" from to help prop that person back up, he believed in an "open marriage", polygamy was alright by him, any rules a group of consenting adults agreed to live by should be none of the governments business or anybody eles for that matter, he was a nudist, he carried a loaded model 1911 wherever he went, homosexuality was merely a preference(he didnt believe in religious compunctions against it or anything else, though he wasn't one.), he wasn't religious and beleived that the only "sinful" things were anti-survival, everything else was just fabricated nonsense. hmmm...

That's pretty much it. He was kinda weird huh?

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
He also ran for Congress on the Upton Sinclair EPIC ticket---for those of you who've never heard of it, in its heyday in the thirties it was very liberal.

Asimov, an ultra-liberal, took Heinlein for an ultra-liberal when he hung out with him in the early forties (war work in Philadelphia), and later on was somewhat shocked when Heinlein "grew conservative."

I don't know and can't vouch for how much Heinlein changed and evolved---or how much he stayed consistent and watched the world evolve around him. Likely it'll happen to all of us, too---it's happened to me over the years. Just be wary of pinning Heinlein down to one set-of-beliefs or another...or one political "side" or another...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest you look at this site to get an idea of what

quote:
Reflecting the spirit, ideas, and philosophies contained in the works of Robert A. Heinlein

means.

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/

I believe that Mr. Heinlein stories were more about the fictional societies in a Sci-Fi setting rather than the Science fiction that other authors focused on. At least that is what I gathered by what fans and this site has written.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

OK, how's everyone else coming on crits? I have received ... um, four excellent ones - thanks everyone! It's fascinating to me how different people find different things. There's something for me to learn from each comment, thanks to all who have been able to send.

I think I have one more copy out, and would be grateful for feedback on that version. I haven't done my edits yet...still pondering (OK, OK, it's just been a really crazy busy week.)

On the return crits, I'm not doing so well. I have given one back, in dialogue with another writer, and am delinquent on I think two more. If you haven't heard from me and have made massive revisions since you sent me a copy (looks like I'm more than a week delinquent, eep!) - let me know and I'll hold and crit your latest version instead. If you'd still like my feedback, I swear it'll be along soon.

How's everyone else doing? Feeling good about your stories? running into problems?

snapper
Member # 7299

Thank you to everyone for looking at mine and giving me your thoughts. I really appreciated. Those damn present vs past tense issues were driving me crazy. With all your help, I think I got them all weeded out.

I got some contridictory advice on what to do, so I placed it up for review in my other critique group. They'll be reading it after our next round deadline but before the actual deadline. I want to see which way a new set of opinions will go.
So, mine won't be available for the next round. I am not avoiding my obligation to the rest of you, however. Send yours to me and I'll give you a crit.

Good luck to everyone!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Okay, so I think I'm going to be a few days late on the 2nd crits deadline. First cut of my story (after 1st round crits) took 14 of 24 pages out. Ack! Will get it out as soon as I can. Sorry all. Will take any stories that are ready for second round crits though.
Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Thought people might be interested in this:

http://hyperpat.wordpress.com/2007/01/29/the-heinlein-voice/

Review on Heinlein's writing style.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Great link, Dan. Thanks for sharing it.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a writer, I work my rear off.

I have had many intense hours over my keyboard...Of course, it isn't the writing that keeps me thin. Thank you day job.

Edited to add dubiousness that day job should be thanked for this.

[This message has been edited by Patrick James (edited May 07, 2008).]

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

well shoot, I lost track of the return crits I owed for this and now it's been long enough that I think I need to find out who needs a crit, and whether you have a latest version I should look at. I think I noticed one file in a folder where it did *not* belong today that was an uncritted story (benttree maybe?) I'm guilty of poor electronic housekeeping (there's a story starter for you, LOL) in that I try to tag the user name with the story, but then I lose track of which user name goes with which email address and get confused and procrastinate the annoying (to me) work of looking up email addy/handle kinds of things and...

Um, sorry, enough excuses. Who needs a critique? If you already have my email address, just send it, but please include "Hatrack" somewhere in the subject line or risk your message ending up below the scroll line in my inbox and subject to the taunts from the thousands of other messages down there. "Hey you - new guy. Yeah, I'm talking to you. What do you think you're doing with that foofy looking paper clip on your message? Think you're something special, eh? Hey! Guys! Check out the new guy - thinks he's all that with his paper clip and obscure subject line. Let's show him who's boss!"

I'm making it my personal goal to take the feedback everyone gave on my Clone story and get a second revision (last except for final polish, I hope) out within the next few days.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Everybody wish me a happy birthday. Then you can cuss my name on general principles for not getting my second draft out for critiquing on time.

Ah, and KayTi, I generally will save a story from someone else with this format: "OriginalFilename_AuthorName.doc" Has saved me A LOT of headaches and scrambling. Thought I'd share.

Happy writing all.

KayTi
Member # 5137

Happy Birthday Writer Dan. Appreciate your suggestion w/the filename schema - which is something I practice, but then the email address/Hatrack handles are often DIFFERENT still and I just get confused. Bah. Do I owe you a critique? I'm up for wahtever from whomever - just send it along.

hyperpat
Member # 7975

- posted      Profile for hyperpat   Email hyperpat         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

Thanks for posting the link to my short analysis of Heinlein's writing style. Given the number of people who have read and/or linked to it, I must have got something right in it, so much so that I'm seriously considering doing the research (hah, this just means I get to read all my Heinlein's again!) necessary to expand this to a proper article.

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it, hyperpat. I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell such an article to ANALOG.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Seconded Hyperpat, and welcome to the forum. I found your article, an interesing and well thought interpretation of Heinlein's style. I gave it a 9.0 I've bookmarked your site and look forward to reading more.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my story for this polished. I know it's late but I was wondering if anybody would be interested in a trade -- I look at yours, you look at mine?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Hey Arriki, you can send yours over. I haven't yet made my revisions on my first draft. I spent what should have been a fun birthday/Mother's day weekend in the hospital. I suppose my pancreas could be considered "Old Faithful" when it comes to flaring up at inconvinient times.

I should be able to turn yours in a day or so. If you wouldn't mine looking over my revision later, I will send it when it gets done. I am still working on the back nine of my WOTF which is also behind schedule.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll trade, too, if your interested.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Ditto the last two. Send it over whenever, arriki.
arriki
Member # 3079

Thanks, guys.

I didn't send it yesterday because I'm superstitious about 13s.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Bent Tree, I used your email address listed here and my email to you bounced back. Do you have another address?
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

It should be correct scottdbenttree[AT]hotmail.com

I't try to send you one to respond to.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

I would just like to go on record as saying that if anyone without a resume as long as your stinking arm wins this one I'll eat my keyboard. It’s open to every major writer in the world who wishes to heighten their public profile to help in sales of their latest book. Also they can use the five grand to buy new tires for their Porsche.

This particular contest strikes me as 90% business and 10% pay it forward. They don’t even commit to publishing anything. If they do, you can be sure it will be anchored with big names. (which would be cool if a nobody actually wins it)

Carry on

Tracy

Edit; last year they had an amateur class winner but I don’t see that in the rules this year. Perhaps there still is an amateur class but they don’t mention it in the rules and seem to have taken it out. Correct me if I am wrong but, as far as I can tell, last years winner was never published.

I wonder if they make keyboards out of rice paper.

This is the amateur guy who won last year.
http://the0phrastus.typepad.com/the0phrastus/2007/07/i-had-this-craz.html

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 20, 2008).]

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if they only wanted big names, they wouldn't have opened it up to everyone.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure an accomplished writer needs the Heinlein Centennial Contest to advertise his or her book. Well, what if they didn't win? What would happen to the book sales then?

So, other than the amateur winner, who else won?

I think you best be trying out assorted keyboard condiments. There wasn't a Hatrack group for this contest last time.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

The winning stories and authors for July 07

Winner, Amateur Division: "Hammers and Snails" - Christopher J. Howard
Honorable Mention, Amateur Division: "A Condition of Intelligence" - Robert Jenkins
Special Recognition, Amateur Division: "World Ceres" - Sandy Sandfort
Winner, Professional Division: "The Beautiful Accident" - Edward Carmien
Honorable Mention, Professional Division: "Refuse" - Marjorie Dieter Keyishian
Special Recognition, Professional Division: "B All U Cn B" - Fran Van Cleave

They apologized but the book never happened "just too many details to deal with."

There were two categories in 07 — Amateur and Professional —each of which carried a $175 prize for the winner and a $75 prize for the honorable mention.

So they completely changed the competition for this year.

Big name authors write for anthologies all the time. Even OSC does it. It's a very good promotional vehicle. If they didn't win nobody would ever even know they entered.

[This message has been edited by tnwilz (edited May 20, 2008).]

arriki
Member # 3079

Well, my story, "Ghosts of the Void," is now speeding through the ether toward whatever receives the manuscripts. Am I the last? Or am I the first? Probably comfortably in the middle.

I didn't realize this was a yearly event. Centennial is 100 years. Is it just this year's that is celebrating his 100th birthday?

KayTi
Member # 5137

I was just coming here to look up the submission requirements, formatting, that sort of thing (I could have googled the contest or looked in my favorites, but this was faster because I knew the thread was here with a link, LOL)

I'm still not 100% satisfied with the ending of my story, and feel like tweaking three random sentences I've had highlighted in the MS for a few weeks. I caught a wicked cold this week that kept me from working on this more, plus my nieces were visiting for the week. Anyway, I am still happy w/the story, though - just wish I could get inspiration for the ending (or the time to just write a couple versions and then pick and fine-tune the best.)

Ah, well, mine will be submitted here shortly...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I had my story off about a week ago. Now to rewrite my WotF entry, sub out my newest flash, clean-up a fantasy flash for subbing and then...it's delving into my Historic Fiction WIP.
KayTi
Member # 5137

Done. Off. Into the ether. Hate that. Did you guys get your confirmation emails right away? (website says that confirmation email will be sent.)

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

The next day for me...

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I sent mine yesterday and got confirmations a few hours later.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck, all who entered.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I second that, Robert. Good luck everyone.

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

I'll need more than luck
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thanks (at least from me) to the well-wishers. No rejection yet.
Patrick James
Member # 7847

Still pretty early.
A rejection slip this soon would probably mean the submission was VERY bad. Nobody from this group could write a story that bad.

Not just kissing a*#, it's true.

snapper
Member # 7299

The last big non-WotF competition I got in only notified the winners. I didn't see what there notification policy is like. Any one know?

snapper
Member # 7299

When are we going to hear something on this???

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited June 29, 2008).]

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

This was my response..

""Thank you for your submission.

(I would have expected more information in here)

Geo Rule

The Heinlein Society

www.heinleinsociety.org

I don't expect to ever hear anything back, honestly. It seems appropriate they should tell me when they send my MS to the recycle bin though. That way I can send it, yet again, to a similar fate elsewhere

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

The sight was vague also;

quote:
Entries are now closed. The judges are beginning their work and entrants will be notified of the results in due course.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited June 30, 2008).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

Has anyone heard anything back from this? Any intel about the status, timing, anything?

I'm wanting to resub the story I submitted if it doesn't win. It's been nagging at me asking for publication (the story, isn't that odd? It's a quirky story...)

Any ideas for how/where to search to figure out what's up? I thought I had originally read that they would be making announcements in July, or did I imagine that/make that up?

Patrick James
Member # 7847

I have recieved no feedback on the matter since they told me my ms arrived.
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the general consensus on this?

I heard that last year they were supposed to publish the winners and somehow it just didn't happen. Now it's been about 5 months and no word anywhere.

Are people writing it off and sending their entries out again? I chose a story that I thought was pretty good. I hate to see it frozen in limbo. If I knew something was really going to happen, I'd be happy to wait. But I'm starting to have real doubts.

Opinions?

Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.