Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q04 -- Early Submissions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q04 -- Early Submissions
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
It has been super stormy here which means power going out constantly so I haven't got those crits done. Stories all read, some comments made, so almost there. Sorry, I'm so slow.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Just joined Hatrack a week ago. Would like to get in on the Q4 crits if possible. I have my story finished and would love to give crits for as many who would want to exchange.

Let me know if I can join the fun!

Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, I'll swap stories with you. Send yours along when it's ready.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like their electronic submission form is live.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoo-hoo! No more printouts and big, brown envelopes and trips to the post office. On the other hand, this will probably result in an increase in entries.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sent it to you, Jennifer. Ready for yours whenever.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas, you can send it my way too, there's one ahead of you.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only received half the stories for my group, so it seems like it really isn't too late to just thomaskcarpenter to one list or the other. It seems like it would be more beneficial to him to just be part of a group, rather than doing it piecemeal and the groups are still smaller than last quarter. Right now, the groups are even, so if I were thomas, I would just pick one group and declare myself part of it. E-mail everyone on the list, say joining late and now part of that group. Announce what group now part of on the board, maybe repost the group listings with your name added.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
New groups after adding Thomas:

Group 1
WriterDan
axeminster
TamesonYip
genevive42
Owasm
thomaskcarpenter

Group 2
Dark Warrior
JenniferHicks
aspirit
Crystal Stevens
shimiqua

Sorry, I was out of town (and contact) for a bit at a family reunion. Back to the grind now though. I have an open schedule for nights this weekend. Hoping to be able to bang out the rest of my story and get it out. We'll see.

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

Thank you all for adding me. I'll send out the story tonight. Looking forward to reading yours and offering my humble critique.
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

For my story, I am pretty much committed to rewriting it in first person, which from the few scenes I have written, I think will solve some of the problems with not giving enough info, character, all that. So, don't worry about criting if you haven't. And thanks again to those who have commented- those comments are helping a lot as I rewrite the story and add in new scenes and stuff.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate to say this, but I doubt if I'll be ready to submit by the end of August. My hours just went up at work and is cutting into my time to get things done here at home.

My thanks to those who sent crits on my story. They've been extremely useful. I didn't realize I had a few conflicting items in there. Thanks, aspirit for pointing those out . Lots of rewriting and rewording for me to do in between now and submitting.

Good luck to the rest of you, and I'll see what I can get done on mine in the meantime.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Crystal, you don't have to submit by the end of August. The dates posted are just guidelines. I haven't even sent out my first draft yet - soon though, I hope.

Quite often, we're sending out our submission just days before the closing date so don't let the dates stress you. And now that they're taking e-mail subs we have even more time. eek!

So you might want to consider staying. There's a lot of good brains around here.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I seem to recall last quarter some one sent out their story for crits with like 2 weeks before the real deadline. It is kinda nice cause it spreads out the crits a bit more so not as overwhelming.
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I'm not throwing in the towel just yet. It just seems like everything is piling up around here. I'll keep plugging away on my story and see what happens.

Thanks for the support. It sure does help.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I've officially changed stories. Feels good though.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

I've changed stories as well. I finished the first one and realized it wasn't very good so I'm starting something new. Needless to say, I'll be even later in getting it out. I do have a back-up if this one doesn't pan out, but I've got my first paragraph. Wish me luck. I'm gonna need it.
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I just sent out my second draft for critique. Please let me know if there are problems opening the file.
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

Sent out round two. Looking forward to reading your stories.

Tom

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Hey Tom; I just received your story yesterday and plan on reading it after I get back from another horse camping trip. Probably on Monday or Tuesday.

My story is running late. I'm still overhauling it from the first round of crits I've received. All excellent advice, I might add . I'll let everyone know when it's ready for another round of crits .

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

I have jennifer's but haven't critted yet. My story is still in progress. I am rewriting the whole thing and it is getting there. I have written as many words as the first draft, but am only through about half the plot. I think that is overall a good thing, gives a bit of development for characters that people thought were a bit underdeveloped. But also takes time to just write all those words. Last time the story never quite felt right but this time, it is feeling pretty good.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

So, I'm up to 27 pages now (6k words). Still have about half the story to write. I decided last week that I'm going to try and write a second story this quarter to enter into a contest for a local anthology. That's kinda put the fire under me. I still have three stories that I'm working on the crits for, and hoping that I can bang out another bunch of goodness this weekend. Crossing my fingers.

Anyone else have an update for us?

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got my story rewritten, but I need to add more description. Thanks to those who looked at it in the First Draft go-round. They had good comments of which most are in my second draft. It will be out early next week.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
My primary goal for tomorrow is to finish my first draft. As I'm so far behind, I'm not sure whether I should submit to Group 2 or to Group 1. Who's willing to critique this draft?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

I'm ready to crit for you aspirit.
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Thomask, I finished your crit, but you say you're already up to draft two? Drat... That took me too long. Well, hopefully my comments can still help. Maybe I caught something others missed. I'll send it on Monday. (It's at work)

Aspirit, you can send to me. I have to pick up my pace tho to get these back to you guys.

As for my story, it's done, I just have to give it a once over before sending. It's a first draft tho, so there may be some little errors in there, but I like this one more than my other story this quarter so right there I'm ahead of the game.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

No problem, Axe. Versions of any story are never final until they've been sent in.
aspirit
Member # 7974

Something about the ending bothered me, so I let my husband read my story. He helped me see that I'm missing information that would tie aspects of the story together. In other words, it needs to develop further before it can leave me.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

First draft 5500, second 10,800. It grew, hopefully for the better. I need to reread it a few times, but at least all the words of draft 2 on the page. And I am feeling so much happier with this version, which is always a good sign. It doesn't feel done, like ready to go off to editors or anything, but it no longer feels like a mess. Though the story line is almost identical to what I started with, just everything a whole lot more developed.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Lame excuse of the month--I picked up a recurring role on the ABC fall series Detroit 187 and the shoots routinely last mroe than 12 hours so I havent been able to crit a single story--or write anything of my own--but I am getting back to them this week. I will probably be critting only for most of this quarter and possibly sending out mine to a few who havent seen it before. I am still working on last quarters first effort (A different story was sent in)
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Dark Warrior, that's not a lame excuse. That's fantastic! Congrats.
axeminister
Member # 8991

Draft one of my second story is out to:

Jennifer
Thomas
Shimmy
Aspirit
Dark Warrior
Crystal

Axe

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited August 24, 2010).]

Owasm
Member # 8501

I just sent my second draft to Group 2. A little late, but the story is better for the delay... I hope.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

My draft is sent. I have only received one story for second round (jennifer's) and I returned that already. If someone else has sent a second draft to me, please resend. Thanks!
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

I may be looking at a major rewrite of my story's 2nd half. I had a hard time with it the first time around, because I wasn't sure how to approach it. Aspirit gave me some excellent advice, and I'm going to see what will work since I agree with her suggestions. This means dropping one certain character out of the story and telling it from a completely different angle.

I've received several stories to crit. I have two left as of today. I'll see if I can get caught up on those this weekend.

Sometimes I feel like like I'll never get everything done, but I keep plugging away.

[This message has been edited by Crystal Stevens (edited August 20, 2010).]

aspirit
Member # 7974

Draft One of my story went out to axeminister , Crystal Stevens , Owasm, and thomaskcarpenter .

I currently owe critiques to:
axeminister
Owasm
Tameson Yip
thomaskcarpenter
WriterDan (as of 8/31)

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited September 08, 2010).]

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Smashed through the end of my story this past weekend. Going to give it a once over tonight and then send it off to the group. Hoo-rah!
axeminister
Member # 8991

Hey folks.

I will do my best to get these last two stories I've received back to you.

The CEO and VP (CEO's son) of the company I work for passed away Sunday. The company only had eight employees, so we lost a major lot. Plus, much of the paperwork was in the boss' name... Accounts are frozen, there's no will, etc etc.

We're working on getting a power of attorney from his mother (91 yrs old)

Right now we're scrambling to keep as many customers as we can, but it's very long and exhausting days...

I want to crit the stories to take my mind off things, but I can't be certain it will happen.
I don't know if I'll get mine out either.

Time will tell.

Axe

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

Just a note to let those who have sent me stories to crit that I'll try and get them done sometime over this coming weekend. I'm still plugging away on mine and trying to get it ready for crits too. The way things are going, I might not have it ready in time for this quarter. We'll see.
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

I believe I got all the crits coming to me. Made minor revisions and uploaded the Q4 story. Glad to get it out of my head space to make more room for other projects I'm currently working on.

Thanks again, all, for the critiques! I got a lot of great feedback and information for this and future stories.

And if anyone still needs more crits done on subsequent revisions, feel free to send them to me.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Holy Bottle Rockets, Batman!

Just realized I have a half-finished crit for you Tom. Genius. I'm at the extent of my time today. Will have it back to you by Monday. Hope it'll still help. And sorry.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

WriterDan- my crit is half finished on yours. Finishing is the first thing on my to-do list so hopefully tonight, but definitely this weekend (munchkin took a nap which means she will be up late and I don't think it is fair to others to do my crits when I am distracted).

Other than that, I have sent off every crit I have received. I did this week forget to mail back someone's crit for several days so if you haven't received one from me, please let me know as I probably think I mailed it already.

ETA- ok- got Dan's sent so I think I am done for now. If missing one from me let me know.

[This message has been edited by TamesonYip (edited September 05, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

I am so incredibly behind it is not even funny. I believe I've done everyone's crits, but my own story is taking a lot longer than usual. It is also a second story as the first one didn't work out.

So in a week or so, when I hopefully finish, I am going to send it out to both groups at once. However, I am only sending it out one time. I will not be sending out a second draft. It's just not realistic in the time frame.

I hope that's okay with everybody.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me know when you guys start a new group. I'd like to get in on this.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

Jenny,

Dan should be starting the new group any day now.
It starts in September.

Axe

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay!
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Just want to say thanks to Writer Dan for the links.

I've been reading the WotF blog for over a year but missed the Newsgroup.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Electronic submission is very slick. On to Q1!
WriterDan
Member # 6456

Any day now...

Uh, hello?

Sorry, I've been a bit buried. Back now though.

Going to post 2011 Q01.

Seriously glad I have people to check up on me.

Got most of my crits back from this quarter and trying to find a way to make my CrappilyEverAfter ending work better. Thanks for all of your responses, if I've missed getting back with any of you. Been working on this story and a second one for submission to an anthology that has the same deadline as WotF this quarter. Ugh. Been a toughie. Hope to see all you peoples sign up for next quarter.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

Okay, peoples!

We're down to two weeks. Crunch time! How are everyone's stories coming along? Hopefully the majority of you will have already sent it off. (Don't forget about the new electronic submissions!) Looks like Owasm has, but I haven't seen much chatter otherwise. I thought I'd check in. Anyone?

My story is all ready for me to knock it out of the park with draft 2. I just have to start doing it. lol. Though I do think that I've come up with an ending that is much better than the one from my first draft. Thankfully, the second story I'm working on this quarter won't require such extensive rewrites. Woo-hoo!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.