Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q04 -- Early Submissions (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Wotf Critique Group -- 2010 Q04 -- Early Submissions
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
No luck for me this quarter, but hey, it is my first. I thought it was HM worthy, but then again, I have a feeling WoTF doesn't go for post-apocalyptic stuff.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the HM e-mail, too. I'm happy it wasn't a straight rejection like last time, but, like Thomas, I also thought mine was a story that had a shot at something better. Oh well. I'll send it out to the next market in the next couple of days.

In eight straight quarters of submitting, that brings my tally to five HMS and three rejections.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited January 04, 2011).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
So did any one who sent in an electric file get an E-mail saying they were entered? I mean after the deadline like they do for those who send in paper entries?

And Congrats to the HMs. You all know you did something right even if it wasn't as much as you thought.

I always feel that way.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I got a letter that they did not receive my story "as an attachment." It's funny; one of the reasons I sent a hard copy was to avoid upload errors.

Thomas and Jennifer, my compliments on the HMs.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Congrats Thomas and Jennifer.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Thomas and Jennifer. Well deserved.

My story did not win. Anything. At all. I'm a little bummed because I really love this story, but oh the freaking well.

I'll find it a home and then show them.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So did any one who sent in an electric file get an E-mail saying they were entered?

Yes, I received one within a day or two after submitting.

I also received an HM, which I was happy to receive for my first entry. I had a story almost ready for Q1, but I have been dealing with health issues that prevented me from finishing my editing in time.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to the WOTF boards and to the SFF boards and haven't found the list of HMs (I received mine by email). Could someone please give a link to where these are posted?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

They'll go up here:
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/blog

but it isn't up yet.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't hear either way yet. I did get confirmation of submission when I entered. I expect a rejection cause there are several problems I have with the story but would still like my e-mail.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I received an HM. Not too bad considering I decided to submit at the last minute.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Philocinemas and Snapper!

I'm sure she's busy, but it would be nice if Joni would update the blog and we could see the full list.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Good job, philo and snapper!

Jennifer, they're possibly holding the full list until cases like mine are resolved. I hope so, anyway.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

Thanks - I look forward to seeing who else made HM or better.
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Found an announcement about the finalists just a few minutes ago:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/1/prweb8050889.htm

Didn't recognize any names. Anyone have more info for us?

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Isn't "Patrick O'Sullivan of Virginia" our own posulliv?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Nick Tchan is a Hatracker. I don't know about Patrick.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Patrick (posulliv) hasn't been around a lot lately, but he has been a Hatracker.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading that post makes me feel an HM is a big deal.

It's still top 5% of the "Largest contest of its kind."

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Any time you can say you're in the top 5% among a field of over a thousand people, that's pretty significant. So yes, Honorable Mention is absolutely something to feel good about, especially if you've never gotten one before. It means you're very, very close to the coveted Finalist pool, from which the 3 winners get chosen. When I got my first HM in early 2008 it was a welcome signpost that said I wasn't as far off the track as I thought.
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
How long should I wait to query about my story? I imagine Joni's mailbox is flooded right now, but I am beginnign to think my electronic submission got lost.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

I'd go ahead and e-mail her. A few people on the WotF board have said Joni confirmed their entries indeed got eaten by the electronic submission system.

[This message has been edited by JenniferHicks (edited January 07, 2011).]

aspirit
Member # 7974

Received my rejection letter in the mail today. At least it's an answer.

Tameson, I hope you hear soon from Joni.

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Joni said to resubmit as an attachment in response to her e-mail. I queried as a reply to the original story successfully submitted e-mail. She said she will put it in with the Q1 submissions. I took Q1 off, but now I get to have a pony in that race. I probably should have edited again for best chance, but I figure that wouldn't really be fair.

Since I did e-submission I figure I won't be getting a rejection in the mail, though I have checked.

ETA- a few additional details.

[This message has been edited by TamesonYip (edited January 08, 2011).]

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Joni found my story and it was a rejection, not sure why no e-mail or anything. I checked spam filter and all that. Though one thing I have noticed in my rejections from pro markets- I do best in ones that are looking for dark speculative/horror. I don't write horror and I didn't think I was that dark but I see a definite pattern- no publications yet, but more personalized feedback and submit again from darker markets. So, while I am going to keep trying with WOTF, it may not be the right market for my work so I am trying not to let rejection get me down.
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I've not heard anything about my 2010 4Q entry, either. It's possible it got bit by the same glitch that got TamesonYip's story. I'm expecting it got held up in the HM queue...!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Honorable mentions and silver honorable mentions have been posted on the blog: http://www.writersofthefuture.com/node/641
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I see some recognizable names on there.

Not mine tho. However, I'm not surprised. My story was totally uninspired. I guarantee KD can with all her years of experience, detect that. I was hoping it was well written enough to sneak through. Haha. I'm delusional.

I'm not on the pins and needles team for next time, but in five months I'll be back.

(Oddly enough, this makes me more motivated to enter again than when I got my HM.)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Another successful Hatrack quarter.

Congrats Inarticulate, JenniferHicks, Snapper, Thomaskcarpenter, and anyone else I missed. You guys rock!

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for IB too! Congrats everyone!
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thomaskcarpenter
Member # 9192

- posted      Profile for thomaskcarpenter   Email thomaskcarpenter         Edit/Delete Post 
Semis names are up now.
Posts: 118 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

So, why am I resurrecting this really old thread? (The nerve!)

Because I may have set a record for the dude who waited the longest to hear the following:

"Dear Dustin,

I just checked and you were an Honorable Mention!!!!

I'm not sure why you did not get the notice.

I'll send out the cert to you right away!!!

CONGRATULATIONS.

Best,

Joni Labaqui
Contest Director"

So, there you have it. They found my story, and turns out I did pretty well.

I didn't ask Joni to update the old 4Q blog... but I wanted to.

Axe

p.s. This post is 364 days after Dan started this thread. Almost a whole year. :P

[This message has been edited by axeminister (edited June 10, 2011).]

mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow! Well congratz...

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
You're official, Dustin.

Woo-hoo!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I missed this when it was posted So late Congrats .
Really late.

But you are an official what?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.