Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q03 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q03
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
@Xeno: We'll put you in Group 2, if that's okay with everyone (Only looking for dissenting votes here), because Pivot will be out for Round 2.

Anyone in Group 2 is open to send their first round story to Xeno, and Xeno should send his/her story out to the current listing for Group 2 (below).

The next victim...err...volunteer to join the critiquing will go to Group 1, where we will do our best to not eat their brains...err...story for lunch. [Smile]

Group1:
WriterDan
Owasm
Osiris
A Yeatts
Crank

Group 2:
Axeminister
Utahute72
LDWriter2
pivot (no round 2 crits)
mbwood
Xenomaniac

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay my story will be going out to Xeno soon. I'll be expecting his.

But with pivot, does that mean we still send out round one crits?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Group 1:

So far, I've received stories from A Yeatts and Osiris.

Mine will go out either tomorrow or Saturday. The goal is to get is finished before the Capitals start their second round of the playoffs...which will essentially mark the end of my attention span towards writing, and then it won't be ready until the 4th quarter. [Big Grin]

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm starting a new story. Lucky you, group 1, you get to read a first draft again!

However, this is a re-write of an older story, so I'm hoping to "get it right" this time. Hopefully I've matured enough as a writer to get my intended point across.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Xeno, I sent you my story (a shorty), so I'm waiting to get yours. I've received crits from all of the other members of Group 2 (thank you very much!). I've also sent back crits to Group 2 except you, Xeno.

I've done enough story polishing that I'm almost ready to move to the next group.

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still working on my story. Sorry that I'm so tardy. I just finished a novel first draft.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I haven't gotten one yet from Xeno.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

An aside here but the E-mail from Joni ended as she normally does with an exhortation to write the next story.

I had to send in my name and address for HM certificate so I added I am working on the next one and it will be even better, which I hadn't really felt for a while. But I realized later that the next one has been sent in already. The one I commented on was the one after the next one. [Smile]

Crank
Member # 7354

I sent my story to Group One yesterday. Let me know if you didn't get it.

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
Crank, I got it. I'll get it back to you shortly. [Smile]
Anna

Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
So far I've sent my story out to group 1, received, critiqued and returned Anna's story, and received Crank's story, which I should have back to him sometime this week.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I'll probably be sending mine out to group one tonight or tomorrow.

Just have to run it through the spellcheck and check for a couple of words.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine was sent to group 1 yesterday.
Anna confirmed.

If anyone DIDN'T get it - please let me know.

Have yet to receive any from G1.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

Hello,

I sent my short piece to Group One today. Please advise if you did not receive it.

I have not received anything from Group One.

mbwood

Osiris
Member # 9196

I received stories from mbwood and axe. I should hopefully get to them next week (this week, I have to do crits for my live group that meets this Saturday)

I am going to send group two my story now. I would like to say it is a revision, but it isn't, because I've only received one critique and I just prefer to get more feedback before revising. I hope everyone is okay with that.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine will be going out tomorrow night. I ended up with less computer time last night and I also went to bed early. Tonight I was going to send it but realized I hadn't sent it through my proofreader and may not have sent it through my spellcheck. Take too long to do both and send it tonight.

Good thing I sent it through the proofreader, found a few too many sentences that started with But and a couple of phrases that sounded funny. And few other mistakes.

I have received one story--Osiris's

A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Axe and mbwood... I've received and am reading yours now. I'll try to have them back to you in a day or two. Trying to finish up my revisions before sending out to group 1.
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Okay... sent mine out to all of Group 2 so let me know if you didn't receive it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Sent mine earlier tonight.

We shall see if my writing is better than usual.

Owasm
Member # 8501

I think I've responded to all of my original group (except from Writer Dan) and a couple from Group 2.

I'm sorry for my massive tardiness. I'm using a story from a few quarters ago, that I sent an earlier version in error. With, regrettably, a new reader, I'll just resubmit after I get a few critiques here.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I've received stories from all of group 2 except Xenomaniac. Thank you Ken and James for your feedback on my story.
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

I think I've responded to everyone who has sent me a story. If I'm still holding out on anyone, please let me know. I didn't realize how quickly the inbox would fill up and I'm afraid I've lost track.

Thanks so much for all your critiques so far. So helpful!

Anna
[Smile]

Crank
Member # 7354

Group One
I've critted and returned stories for A Yeatts and Osiris. Asit turns out, I've critted Owasm's entry once before, so he will send me a different story at a time of his convenience. I've not received WriterDan's story.

Thanx, Group One, for taking the time to offer up your thoughts for the benefit of my story.

Group Two
I've received stories from mbwood, axeminister, and LDWriter2.

Malcolm, you will be receiving my crit soon.

Also: I will send all of you in Group Two my revised story before the end of next week.

S!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have received and critted two stories.

I think I have received two crits. I say think because seems like it should be three but I can't find the third one so I will have to double check my e-mail on that address later.

Make that three crits received. But that one is a new one. The mysterious one is still hidden...maybe I dreamed it or am thinking of another story.

[ May 19, 2012, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: LDWriter2 ]

Osiris
Member # 9196

I just sent my last critique, and have received critiques from everyone except WriterDan and Xenomaniac.

If I anyone expecting a critique from me hasn't received it, please let me know.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry I've been a bit absent this time around, all.

The WriterDan clan is now +1 though.
Girl -- 8 lbs, 19in

Bring on the narcolepsy...

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Congrats Dan
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Dan! Say goodbye to sleep for about the next six months, but it's worth it.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Dan, you're the family man! Congrats bud. Hmmmm, I wonder if we'll see a change in your writing. I can see sleep deprived hero's battling the injustice done to the little guy. Oh! And maybe the female companion will be the brilliant, thoughtful partner who isn't a love interest.

In anycase, don't let that baby scream because you have to finish that eloquent and thought provoking phrase before it flees from your mind.

Enjoy that little angel of yours.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Wonderful news Dan.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

Best excuse in the world. Congrats.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

After this happy news getting back to the thread.

I received one more story I need to start critting.

I think that leaves one or two I still need to receive.

And I think I still need one or two crits too. If one is from Dan I won't worry about it. [Smile]

Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by WriterDan:
Sorry I've been a bit absent this time around, all.

The WriterDan clan is now +1 though.
Girl -- 8 lbs, 19in

Bring on the narcolepsy...

Congrats Dan! I'll be joining you in about two weeks. We've got a little girl on the way as well. Precocious she is, looking to come two weeks before the due date. Hoping I'll have time to revise my story and submit it for WoTF before then, but I might just save it for next quarter. Would rather do it right than quick.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Dan, and premature congrats to Osiris. Hopefully you guys will get some time to write in between family duties.

Just a note that any delivery has to be better than my last one.

Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

Congrats to Dan! Future congrats to Osiris!

quote:
JenniferHicks: Say goodbye to sleep for about the next six months, but it's worth it.
Six months would be a tolerable stretch. I haven't slept in 20 years!

S!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

All these new E-mails remind me I need to get going on the final revision of my Q3 story. I received three crits and maybe another one on the way but I need to get going on it before I get that one, if it's a new one.
Crank
Member # 7354

Home stretch time! I'm dedicating the next few days to getting my story ready for submission. So, if you have not had an opportunity to critique my story yet, do not worry about it. You're off the hook. WriterDan, as far as I'm concerned, gets an automatic pass anyway...he has more important things to attend to.

Thanx to everyone for the excellent feedback...some of the comments I anticipated...some bore insights I would have never realized in a million years...all were appreciated, and they weighed heavily in the debate I've been having with myself whether or not I even want to submit this story to WotF.

Either way...rock on!

S!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, need to decide if I should do away with the opening and change the way it's done. Three or four people advised me to. If I do I will need to work on during my first week of vacation and send it in last moment. I like it the way it is and the whole story was built from that opening scene. But if I really need to get rid of it so be it. Got to think on it.

Of course the way I am working now even if I don't change it the last revision may take that long anyway.

Osiris
Member # 9196

quote:
Originally posted by Crank:
Congrats to Dan! Future congrats to Osiris!

S!

Thank you Crank! I'm leaning toward letting my story slide to next quarter. With the baby coming any day now, I'm finding it too hard to focus on revising my story, and like Dan, once the baby is born I'll probably be too busy for the next month or so to revise.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay submitted Q3

For those who have read it, I changed the title to something or another instead of thingamajig. I think it fits more what was going inside of him.

Crank
Member # 7354

My 2012 Q3 entry is out the door!

Now, it's time to write something else...which I've actually already started doing.

S!

axeminister
Member # 8991

Yay Crank!

Still working on mine.

Just one more reader's feedback, then I'm sending it.

Probably June 30th. [Wink]

Axe

Owasm
Member # 8501

Q3 is in. So I've still got two stories in the WotF hopper.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Joni did it to me again.

Saw that I had an E-mail about my WotF submission. First thought was "Hadn''t heard David was done with Q2, which means Oh no, not even a HM this time".

It was Joni declaring my submission for Q3 is entered in the contest. Winners announced in Sept.

And yes I am formulating my next story. Actually I already did. [Smile]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the same e-mail. I thought it was going to be my Q1 response. Joni asked for an e-mail back to confirm I had gotten the confirmation. My response included an added note that I was much more interested in receiving a response on my Q1 entry than worrying about when Q3 results will come down. (Hint, hint ...)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

When I get three confirmations (on June 7, 11 & 15) addressed to 'Entrant' about my entry for Q3, which was sent on June 6, I begin to wonder about the organization. Of course, there was the usual request for acknowledgement of the e-mail.
I'm hoping for better results with my Q2 & Q3 submissions than what happened with the Q1.
Oh, yes, there was a note that the results for Q2 would be out in June. (Don't hold your breath!)

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

mb was the first one just a one sentence confirmation?

I received that one but I don't count it.

This one though was more for sure. [Smile]

I need to reread it, I don't recall a request for a confirmation for the confirmation.

But as to Q2, it's possible that the first rejections could go out before the end of June. Or if David does it differently all could go out by the 30th. Well, if they pushed it they could.

Winners are another matter.

mbwood
Member # 9525

Louis - yes.
mbwood

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone up for a read before I send in my Q3 story?
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.