Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q03 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2012 Q03
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, over 100K homes in the Greater Cleveland area remain without power. Many trees blew down, taking power, phone and cable lines. The heavy rain ended last night, but the temperatures remain in the low 40s, compounding the discomfort. Death totals unknown due to communication problems. Power companies working hard to fix problems. Four trees fell around my home, one of which landed on a neighbor's home; another blocked my driveway, which required significant time wielding the chain saw.

Browns' fan, eh? Takes courage to admit that, especially living in Patriots' territory. I guess you know how to handle adversity.

I suspect conditions in New Jersey remain grim, especially in the shore area. They got hit hard by the storm surge, or so the news media says.

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
No place for me this quarter with Wolverton. BTW, this is a story that KDW gave an honorable mention.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Wait, what? A response?

Sorry to hear it's not a good one. [Frown]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got my response, too. Honorable mention. I thought this story was my best submission ever and had a real shot at finalist, so I'm disappointed.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
Honorable Mention! My first... so I'm through the roof excited. [Smile]
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
No WotF placement for me.

But...the very next email in my inbox was an invitation to rewrite part of a short story I submitted to a different market.

No time or tolerance for wallowing and negativity today.

S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing good. Back to NaNoWriMo. I really don't think I'm in sync with Wolverton and backing away from WotF is probably in my future.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm done with Q3 too.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I got a reject too. I might go a different direction for the current quarter.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if something went wrong with my story. I just realized that I never got a confirmation that it was received. [Frown]
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
HM for me. Maybe I should stop sending them trunk stories...
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, all went well with my story--got an honorable mention [Smile]
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
RaBirch is a confirmed finalist.
I haven't received results yet, but no call, so...

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rabirch
Member # 9832

- posted      Profile for rabirch   Email rabirch         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by axeminister:
RaBirch is a confirmed finalist.
I haven't received results yet, but no call, so...

Axe

That I am, Axe. I got the call last night. Still trying to pick my brain up off the floor!

Hoping for a good result for you.

Congratulations to the HMs and commiserations for the Rs. As a data point, I got two HMs in a row from KD, then the next two were straight Rs, and now a finalist. Any story can win at any time.

Wishing everyone the best in the next quarter!

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats again!
Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, Rebecca;

congratulations! I recognized your creative stories and light touch to fiction. I hope your entry goes all the way and my critiques helped you get there. All the very best! I can understand why you got to be a finalist (even though I got a R).

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo Rebecca. Top stuff.

Nothing here. But then again, I didn't get one in this quarter. If I did win something this quarter, then it would be some sort of spec fic.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

Congrats, Rebecca!!!
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Grats to you too, Anna.
A win in the flash contest and your first HM...

I'd say you're on the move!

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Congrats guys, it looks like they are picking some of the better writers on here.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations, Rebecca.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

It's been a good week! ;P
rabirch
Member # 9832

Thanks so much, everybody. I'm really grateful to be a part of this community. You all are awesome. Smart, creative, and so willing to help each other (and me!) out with critique swaps and discussions about writing.

Also, Anna, I agree with Axe. Way to go!

Posts: 248 | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So congratulations to rabirch and congrats to Rebecca and MR, Jennifer.

They are picking the better writers here.

Anyone I missed?

Hmm, thought about sending out my story--the rejected Q3 one--to F&SF, I didn't quite get that story I wanted to send revised after I received a crit for it. The Q3 one is already critted and ready to go.

But I happen to have heard that Hoboken was hit by Sandy. At least their electricity was. So I'll be waiting a while. But maybe IGMS, if one set of letters didn't like maybe another one will.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats all!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

THIRD QUARTER FINALISTS

Jacquelyn Bartel of California
Rebecca Birch of Washington (state)
Marilyn Guttridge of Oregon
Gregory Jeffs of Texas
Yue Pang of Canada
Charles Schoenfeld of Connecticut
Andrea Stewart of California
Alex Wilson of North Carolina

http://www.prweb.com/releases/prwebLRonHubbard/Writersofthefuture/prweb10102529.htm

Axe

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all,

I'm obviously behind on populating our list of Woo-hoos for this quarter. If any of you got awards/honors for this quarter or quarter 2, could you send me an email with what you got and I'll put it up in the first post? I'll try to go through all the posts and filter the answers, but I'd rather not miss anyone if at all possible. Thanks.

Major congrats to Rebecca too. I'm pretty sure I've only read one of your stories, and though I don't specifically remember what it was, I do remember being quite impressed. No surprise there for me. Great job!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh Good Grief...I've gone and forgotten which story was Q3. I wanted to send it to F&SF since they have power and mail again but I can't find that story. I forgot to list it...duh. One I thought was it has been sitting at Analog since Aug. so obviously that isn't it.

The only thing I can think is that I sent in a story again that I sent in a while back.

I think I just deleted all E-mail concerning Q3 too, ugh.
But if any of you can recall the title of my Q3 story please E-mail me.

rabirch
Member # 9832

Got word not long ago that I was not a winner in Q3. Thrilled to have made it as far as Finalist, and I'm looking forward to continuing to submit until I win or pro out.
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Sorry to hear that Rabirch, I thought yours was pretty good.

Did you ever find your story LD?

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Keep it up, Rebecca, and congrats on making finalist. Many eventual winners didn't win on their first time in the final eight.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by Utahute72:

Did you ever find your story LD? [/QB]

I did. My mistake was in forgetting I had split up one story. And than I forgot I retitled it for WotF.

So I found it and sent it out but it still didn't get very far. But I need to send it elsewhere.

But at least it isn't stuck like Q2. That story has been sitting at Analog since Aug. I've checked the status three times it still reads waiting

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.