Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q03 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q03
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
LD,
I see I also don't have your new email address. Will you please forward it to me?

I appreciate your kind and encouraging words at the WOTF forum last week (May 22nd) and was pleasantly surprised that you recall my Rabbi Cane Kabbalist tales fondly.

Although its been a couple years since since I set my Cane novel (and Urban Fantasy) aside to gain more writing experience (and cred) before returning to it for a final rewrite, if you'd care to read the entire novel in its tyro form, I will share it with you.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like a copy if you can send it PDF. I can transfer to my Nook that way. But if you would want any comment on it, that might take a while I have somewhere around 13 to 16 books in front of it. I might not wait that long to read it but it could take a month or two.

And I'm very good at recalling stories--even though the name of characters are a different matter.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Oh. No comments necessary. I have permitted only a few to read the novel. That you still think fondly of my Kabbalist short stories after a number of years is kind, and thus inspired my offer.

But, unfortunately, I do not have the knowledge of how to create a PDF from an MS Word file. I appreciate how much better/easier it would be read the novel as an ebook, since I do create .mobi files of my short stories to read on my Kindle. However, I have not done this for the novel. Thus, you (and I, ftm) will need wait another year or two until I get to it.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmm, I don't know how MS Word works with PDF but mine seems to be connected to my print software. I don't think I have ever tried it with my new computer and only once or twice with the old one.

Seems like someone here should know though.

But as I said, if your novel would wait in line--not all do, some try to push to the front of the line--it would be months before I get to it anyway.

But as well as remember the stories fondly, I'm curious. I want to do more about how he handles demon that cut off his friend's head and killed someone else.

I said I have a good memory for stories.

And I think I feel honored that you would think about letting me read ahead of time.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

LOL. Yes, LD. You do have a good memory.

The Butcheresque opening lines of the novel ("When you find a severed head in your mailbox, you can be pretty sure you’re in for a bad day. When it speaks to you, you can be certain.") were intended to be a memorable hook, and others who have similarly glimpsed or read the story have been after me to get this novel out. Perhaps I should give it my attention this summer, if I can.

Anyway, the offer remains open to you. Just email me whenever you have interest, or time; though I cannot as yet promise an e-reader friendly copy as yet.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I double checked my new word processor--I had a memory tickle--and sure enough it does PDF. I click on Export and a menu pops up with a choice of five formats. .doc, .rtf, plain text, PDF and Epub. As I said I don't know about MS word. But it would seem like it would have something similar.

Haven't tested the Epub but it might have to do with Apple's online presence. Which means you have to have iLife to read it online. I have another program that makes web sites that only iLife people can go to.

But as I checked on this a thought popped into my mind, I can change it to PDF whatever format you send it in.
In other words send it.

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Bob

In MS Word (2010 and perhaps some versions before), saving as a PDF requires the following steps

Open the file
Click on File tab
Choose Save as option to open "Save As" window
Change Save as type: to "PDF"

That will save the file as a PDF.

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

And .pdf files will display normally on an e-reader like Kindle or Nook?

I've gone through the many steps necessary to create a .mobi file of my recent shorter works this past year, to see how they look on Kindle (0 inch margins, single space, no extra spaces or it screws up the paragraph indent,place .mobi in the file name, and email to a kindle address). It takes time and work.

Is similar care needed in creating an e-reader ready .pdf file?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

P.S. Oh, sent my WOTF Q3 entry out today, after yet another read through. It is amazing that having read the story so many times, I still find little errors (missing quotation mark, a misspelling) and still find a few sentences to smooth/shorten. My thanks again to everyone.
Brendan
Member # 6044

PDFs aren't ebooks, and will display differently. They are displayed like images, and so if you need to zoom, you have to navigate them like looking over a full-page picture. (In my kindle, that is a bit annoying, but I can make it work.) But the important thing is that one can read them in the Kindle. (Don't know about Nook, but I suspect the same.)
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by History:
And .pdf files will display normally on an e-reader like Kindle or Nook?

I've gone through the many steps necessary to create a .mobi file of my recent shorter works this past year, to see how they look on Kindle (0 inch margins, single space, no extra spaces or it screws up the paragraph indent,place .mobi in the file name, and email to a kindle address). It takes time and work.

Is similar care needed in creating an e-reader ready .pdf file?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

I don't know the process of making .mobi work but I was reading through my Nook Book the other day, looking for something else, when I came across a paragraph that mentions it reads PDF files. Oh, I had forgotten that or it is something new with a large upgrade they put out quite a few months ago. I have since uploaded (or is it shared?) two PDF files to it. Both opened without difficulty.

I will add those two files are from another writer who is putting out some E-published UF novelettes. She is Laura Anne Gilman. Already a pro writer but evidently her publisher didn't want to do one book of hers. So she went through Kickstarter, I donated some money to the cause and the two files, a bookmark and one or two other things were my reward. Seems like I --at least my name--should be in one her books but so far nothing on that. Anyway, The two files are for a new series by her.

Since this is a post for Dr Bob I will say that this series is made up of Noir, paranormal-UF, adventure, maybe a bit weird tales.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You can go to Amazon and set up a kindle email address to which you can email pdf files which will be converted to kindle files for you.

I've done it, and it's pretty slick.

You log onto Amazon, open the pull-down menu "Your Account" (near the upper right corner of the screen), and select "Manage Your Kindle."

Then go to the boxes on the left side of the screen and select "Personal Document Settings" under "Your Kindle Account."

That page allows you to set up an email address that you can send pdf fiiles to (and possibly other kinds of document files--haven't tried that) which then become part of your kindle library.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

Yes, Kathleen. I have done this for my Kindle, and a couple of friends who occasionally act as my beta readers.

But I don;t know how to do this for the Barnes and Noble NOOK (which I don't possess). DO you?

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have one, but my daughter does. She reads pdf files on her Nook all the time -- just connects her Nook to her computer with the USB connector and moves the pdf files from the computer to the Nook.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Looks like I will be sending in my story by Friday.

Just one more spellcheck to make sure.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Mine has been sent.

Good thing I did the spell check thing after all. Found a few misspelled words and even added a comma.

mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got my story off to the WotF contest - with thanks to most of the critiquers who offered constructive comments. Now I have to get started on Q4 story... Sigh, a never-ending tale in itself.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Did I say thanks?

I did on my blog but I don't think I did here.

Anyway, thanks to all. Some helped with turns of phrases and redoing sentences. One helped big time with nitpicks. Way too much work but that was my fault and I appreciate it.

At least my writing will be "clean". That is a plus.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So anyone sending theirs in at the last moment?

They seem to enjoy doing that over at the WotF forum.

If anyone here does you might get a closed noticed before midnight, if so contact Joni there she usually gets last minute people in because they tend to put up the end notice early.

WriterDan
Member # 6456

- posted      Profile for WriterDan   Email WriterDan         Edit/Delete Post 
Another quarter over and done with. Nothing to do now but sit and wait for the results, right? Hardly. Back to work everybody! There's another group to join! Another story to write! Another award to win! A publication to make!

Woo-hoo! Onward and upward!

Posts: 599 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And how many of you sent in your application for a job with WotF?

[Big Grin]

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine in at the last minute, again! Thanks to those who reviewed it and gave me a lot of good comments. I got slammed later in the quarter so it didn't make it out to the second group, but thanks anyway. Yours were fun to read.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So how many here made it in? I know a few did but lose track over the weeks.

I don't know what those who read it think, especially those in the second group but I thinks this was one of my better ones. I'm reading one of the finalists from last Quarter and think I got the same type of rhythm, the five senses, and danger trope(To use a word someone here likes) but we shall see, there are so many other things that can go wrong or are over done or ??.

Anyway mine is in:

LDWriter2

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If anyone gets David's Daily Kick post on writing his last one dealt with entering contests so it's possible he has started reading and is venting a little on the mistakes we writers make. [Smile]

Read here

Or he just might be trying to help those who are new. [Smile]

Brendan
Member # 6044

Ah, so that is why snapper is doing better with DF - point number 5 on the list. [Smile]
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hmmm,

Just read David's Kick for today. Called Imagination I believe but it's more Originality.

Actually, heard and/or read that, from more than one source, before but this one goes into more detail.

Hmmm,

How does my Q3 hold up to his thoughts on Originality? [Confused]

Some parts are I think, the total thing has some good original components over all problem and scene in the sub-genre is original...I think but I don't know every type of story that is out there like he does.

A person who critted it thought one major component was original but it isn't. In this setting, with this problem and what solves the problem it could be.

I hope the thread that ties it all together is original enough as I think.

But again [Confused]

Ohh, I hope it is, at least enough. I'm not placing all hope in this story but it's one I am proud of--My mind and emotions think it is a very good story well told...something I haven't felt on that scale for quite a long time. which means I'm setting my self up for more disappointment if doesn't get at least a HM.

RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
The more I think about my Q3, the more I wished I would have pushed myself to add original elements to my world and bring them to life.

There was an article by Hubbard in V28 about a Coast Guard story he did. At first the story was bland. Then he spent some time on a Coast Guard boat. In the end, the salt wind was whipping the flags on the boat.

And that's what made it a good story.

It takes time to think through all of those details for an original world. But to me that's the best part of writing. OTOH, it takes writing skill to bring a world to life effectively. To me that's the frustrating part, the part I need to learn about.

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I believe I read that article a while back...nice to be reminded.

And other writers have stated similar things in different words.

And there's a hint we will find out sooner this quarter. David seems to be hard at work reading our stories.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
made you look.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A Yeatts
Member # 9500

- posted      Profile for A Yeatts   Email A Yeatts         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang it, snapper!
Posts: 207 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Hey, hey. Check this out. A lot of impatient people are waiting for word about results coming in. I am happy to report that I don't have word, but do have a minor megalomaniac complex knowing I got you to read my post.

Love tugging on those strings. [Razz]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So, I read a lot of posts what's one more??????????

Oh, by the way did you say something????????????

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Looks like David Farland is still reading stories after all even while at Worldcon. So the guesses of When have been pushed back to the end of Sept.
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
LD - yeah, Dave Wolverton was on a panel at WorldCon and talked about running through a bunch of WotF entries. He explained that the process involved looking for reasons to reject entries and specified those items that were at the top of his list.

Interesting panel - learned a few things about what made a better entry, much of which was basic good writing craft. Also, several of the previous WotF winners hosted a party, which was both fun and informative.

Remember the first rule of writing... Write!
mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

HM email. Sent Joni a response and got back a " what the hell are you still doing up?" from her. So nice of her to be so concerned about my insomnia.
History
Member # 9213

HM as well.
Or "Hmm. I thought I had figured out what Mr. Wolverton liked. Guess not."

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
Rejection email here. I had high hopes for that story. Guess I have a lot more to learn.
Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan,
Keep learning by keep writing!

An R one quarter means nothing the next.
Sorry I didn't get a chance to read your Q4, but remember, you have an IOU for your Q1, so whatever advice I have to give, is yours.

Well, my Q3 is toast, and with my Q4 lying on the table in pieces, V30 comes to a whimpering close for the Dustinator.

Axe

[ September 26, 2013, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: axeminister ]

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, so I wasn't part of the critique group this time, but ... FINALIST!!!

Nope, I'm not excited. Not at all.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by History:
HM as well.
Or "Hmm. I thought I had figured out what Mr. Wolverton liked. Guess not."

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

I am truly surprised by that. Even more than my total rejection. Not only was this story my best writing so far but I thought I had what he wanted from what some of his Kicks have been about lately.

But it's my writing so I shouldn't be surprised by my result.

Now to F&SF even though I'll be surprised if it does more than keep Scott's interest or if it works for Stephen.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by RyanB:
Rejection email here. I had high hopes for that story. Guess I have a lot more to learn.

We all do, so keep at it, some people make some headway the first or second or third time but most don't.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yeah, learning works for most people--everyone needs to go for it. There are sites to read, books to study and Kicks to absorb as I said it works for most.

But too bad I'm not most people.

snapper
Member # 7299

Congratulations to you, Jennifer. I am pulling for you.

Now try carrying on with your life. The next two months are going to be long ones.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Congrats, Jennifer, and best wishes. Listen to what snapper said (am I really saying that? wow!).

[Wink]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you. [Smile] The morning after Joni called, I had to schedule a phone conference with my kids' school, and go to the dentist and then the day job. So yes, life goes on.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
And she has to deal with my e-mail badgering.

I'm totally not going to leave her alone for at least a week.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:

Mazel tov!
This is wonderful. Hope you win!

That makes at least three Hatrackers to my knowledge who made it to Finalists this year. That says much for our little shtetl of a writing community.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

@Dr. Bob: Thanks! I know if I don't win that I'm in very good company in that regard. I also know you and snapper will be back in the top 8 again.

@Axe: Your badgering makes me smile. I would be sad if it went away.

Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Congratulations!!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Well, forgot to say something but since you're not excited I may not need to say it after all.

Seriously: Congratulation!!!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.