Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Hatrack Groups » WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q03 (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: WotF Critique Group -- 2013 Q03
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr. Bob and anyone else who has a HM

you deserve s congrats. That isn't so easy.

But send that story to Beneath Ceaseless Skies. If nothing else they will give one to three sentences why they rejected it.

If they do, send it to IGMS.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Congratulations to you, Jennifer. I am pulling for you.

Now try carrying on with your life. The next two months are going to be long ones.

Snapper, offering wise advice? Fraud I say. Someone has clearly hacked into his account.

Jennifer is the one who first introduced me to writers of the future and has been my constant writing guide and supporter since those days. Her success is long overdue and I hope that I get to see her speech in April (she can only improve on mine).

Nick

Posts: 712 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea I got a HM e-mail also. A little disappointing because I thought I had a better product this time around. Congrats to Dr. Bob and Jennifer.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
No word from Anna yet. I'd be surprised if she didn't get at least an HM.

Congrats to Bob, Jennifer, Snapper, and James.

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. I'm spoiled, I guess.
I truly appreciate the kind words.
My feelings toward a HM, however, is similar to that of getting one or two numbers on a Powerball ticket.

Respectfully,
Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

After reading a few of Dave's recent Kicks, I've reflected on my Q3 a bit, a postmortem I guess.

I still feel like my plot, characterization and style were adequate if not strong. Several people enjoyed the story, some more than others, though it certainly still had some (hopefully minor) flaws.

Initially, I thought my setting was good too. I described some the scenery, engaged the senses. Upon further review I realize that at best, I created a window into a bland, possibly cliched world. There wasn't anything creative in my setting or characters for that matter.

I may have created characters and a world, but I certainly didn't make something new.

Also: 228 stories caught his attention in the first pass. I'm guessing around 100 of those got an HM. Perhaps I, and other non-placers, can take solace in that. Unfortunately we'll never know if our stories were top 20% or bottom 20%.

Likewise the HM's could be just top 10% or 2%. FWIW, Dr. Bob, I'm guessing your story was closer to the latter.

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mbwood
Member # 9525

- posted      Profile for mbwood   Email mbwood         Edit/Delete Post 
RyanB;

a quick question - where did you get the numbers on the stories that caught Dave's attention?

Thanks,

mbwood

Posts: 216 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

http://www.davidfarland.net/writing_tips/?a=285

Farland writes a Daily Kick about every other day.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I assume you finalists are still having fun waiting. [Wink]

My Q3 has received it's second complete rejection, by Stephen at F&SF, but it's off to IGMS. Don't expect much it's still my writing after all even if I think it could be my best.

Don't know if they have any levels of rejection at IGMS. as far as I can recall I've always gotten the same thing.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by LDWriter2:
And I assume you finalists are still having fun waiting. [Wink]

Ha. I'm not sure "fun" is the right word. I hope the wait will be over soon.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
The Q3 winners have been announced and, alas, I am not among them. The nice thing about this contest is that you can always try again.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
sorry, JCH. Welcome to the Oh so close club. We meet once a month. It's axe's turn to bring a snacks this month.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

I also share my commiserations.
Snapper, what a wonderful title for an anthology...

------------THE OH SO CLOSE CLUB-------------
-WRITERS OF THE FUTURE FINALIST TALES!-
---------------------------- . -----------------------------
------------------( that didn't win )-----------------
------------a.k.a.The Best Of The Rest------------

[Wink]

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

P.S. How come I wasn't invited to the monthly kvetch and plotz, Snapper? I'm famous for my knishes.

Or if you Gentiles prefer "finger sandwiches", mine include real fingers (my having access to the morgue and all).
Happy Halloween! [Smile]

snapper
Member # 7299

You are a member, Bob. Nick was one too but he decided he was too good for the club so he wrote a winning entry awhile back. Snob.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

If that's what it takes, what's your name, I can practice snobbery. [Wink]
snapper
Member # 7299

Joni just put a nice fright in me. She sent out a bulk email to all third quarter HM honorees that she sent out our certificates today. right in the middle of results for Q4. What timing she has!
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Bob and Frank, you'd know this: Do you get a nice shiny certificate when you're a non-winning finalist? It'd be nice to have something to show for it ...
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:
Originally posted by snapper:
Joni just put a nice fright in me. She sent out a bulk email to all third quarter HM honorees that she sent out our certificates today. right in the middle of results for Q4. What timing she has!

She does have a habit of doing thing like that. I've been "tricked" by her notices. [Big Grin]
MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
Do you get a nice shiny certificate when you're a non-winning finalist? It'd be nice to have something to show for it ...

It's kind of the luck of the draw. Some quarters do, some don't. I didn't get one for either of my first finalists (and I guess I didn't need one for the third).
Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

quote:
Originally posted by JenniferHicks:
Bob and Frank, you'd know this: Do you get a nice shiny certificate when you're a non-winning finalist? It'd be nice to have something to show for it ...

I did receive a certificate for my 2013 Q1 Finalist story, my first from WOTF.

It was "shiny" in Firefly-speak, but I am unsure if it differs from the Semi-Finalist or Hononrable Mention certificates except that the word "Finalist" is printed upon. I'll find out when I receive my HM certificate for my Q3 tale that supposedly was just mailed.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

History
Member # 9213

quote:
Originally posted by MJNL:
I didn't get one for either of my first finalists (and I guess I didn't need one for the third).

If I haven't said it: Well done. Mazel tov!
(And a trophy Win beats a Finalist certificate anyday). [Smile]

MJNL
Member # 9686

- posted      Profile for MJNL           Edit/Delete Post 
:-) Thanks.
Posts: 66 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

Joni hasn't e-mailed to either ask for my address or inform me that a certificate is on the way, so I will probably not get one. That's OK. I finally got the phone call I had been daydreaming about for years. That's good enough.

And I was thinking "shiny" in the Firefly sense. [Smile]

JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

What do you know, it looks like I got a certificate after all. Woot! At least, my husband says there's a large envelope from WotF that came in the mail today.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.