Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » The Misquote Thread (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Misquote Thread
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
To be, or not to be--that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end them. To die, to sleep--
No more--and by a sleep to say we end
The heartache, and the thousand natural shocks
That flesh is heir to. 'Tis a consummation
Devoutly to be wished. To die, to sleep--
To sleep--perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub,
For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
When we have shuffled off this hamster coil,
Must give us pause.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
The early hampster gets the sesame seeds.

When you go into court you are putting your fate into the paws of twelve hampsters who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty.

When the character of a hampster is not clear to you, look at his humans.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Life is like a box of hamsters. You never know what you're gonna get.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As honorary chairman of the welcoming committee, it's my privilege to present a laurel and hearty handshake to our new...hamster.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the hamster.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I always will remember, ’twas a year ago November, I went out to hunt some deer, on a morning bright and clear. I went and shot the maximum the game laws would allow---two game wardens, seven hamsters, and a cow.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not like green eggs and hamster. Not on a train, not in a plane...
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Once there were two hamsters: one ran away to sea, the other was elected Vice-President - and nothing was ever heard from either of them again
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
If men were hampsters, no government would be necessary.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I recall that the people went about with pale and worried faces, and whispered warnings and prophecies which no one dared consciously repeat or acknowledge to himself that he had heard. A sense of monstrous guilt was upon the land, and out of the abysses between the stars swept chill currents that made hamsters shiver in dark and lonely places
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Not only does God play hamster with the universe, he throws them in places we cannot see.
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I haven’t checked these figures but eight-seven years ago, I think it was, a number of hamsters organized a governmental set-up here in this country, I believe it covered certain Eastern areas, with this idea they were following up based on a sort of national independence arrangement and the program that every individual hamster is just as good as every other individual hamster.
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Now THAT is an impressive misquote.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

Look! Up in the sky. It's a bird. It's a plane. It's Superhamster!
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

quote:
Now THAT is an impressive misquote.

Anybody care to guess its origin?

With the coming of the Second World War, many eyes in imprisoned Europe turned hopefully, or desperately, toward the freedom of the Americas. Lisbon became the great embarkation point. But, not every hamster could get to Lisbon directly, and so a tortuous, roundabout refugee trail sprang up---Paris to Marseilles...across the Mediterranean to Oran...then by train, or auto, or foot across the rim of Africa, to Casablanca in French Morocco. Here, the fortunate ones through money, or influence, or luck, might obtain exit visas and scurry to Lisbon; and from Lisbon, to the New World. But the other hamsters wait in Casablanca...and wait...and wait...and wait.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

quote:
Anybody care to guess its origin?

The Gettysburg address, for sure.

A priest, a rabbi, and a hamster walk into a bar...

Corky
Member # 2714

That's why I thought it was so impressive, because I recognized as being from the Gettysburg Address.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't tell you what it's from, but it assuredly is not from the Gettysburg Address.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

Okay, but wherever it's from it's "quoting" someone who is badly misquoting (or paraphrasing?) the Gettysburg Address.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, is it Dr. Strangelove?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Okay...it's a relatively famous paraphrasing, along the lines of "If President Eisenhower Had Delivered the Gettysburg Address." Most of you are probably too young to remember how Eisenhower answered questions at press conferences---well, so am I, strictly speaking, but it was still seen and talked about while I was growing up---but his answers tended to be extremely long-winded and opaque, difficult sometimes to figure out if he'd given an answer at all.

Here's a link to the whole of it:

http://powellhistory.wordpress.com/2008/03/24/if-eisenhower-had-given-the-gettysburg-address/

I shall never forget the weekend Laura died. A silver sun burned through the sky like a huge magnifying glass. It was the hottest Sunday in my recollection. I felt as if I were the only hamster left in New York...I had just begun Laura's story when another of those detectives came to see me. I had him wait.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.