Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Throwing Down the Gauntlet

Author Topic: Throwing Down the Gauntlet
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not been writing much for past nine months. In December of last year I accepted a "promotion" that promised me "more time off" and other benefits for taking a salaried position as a supervisor with my company. "Salaried" meant a significant pay-cut in exchange, supposedly, for more personal time.

This was not the case. I have since been inundated with paperwork that has consistently taken up my weekends. In addition, I am so sick of reading the notes from my clinicians, some of whom have masters degrees and cannot write a grammatically correct sentence, that it dissuades me from wanting to read anything.

Therefore I am voluntarily, of my own request, returning to my earlier higher-paying position that allowed me greater freedom and more time off. I will also be making a concerted effort to write at least one short story every couple of months. I hope to join others who have recently entered the winners' circle, whether through WOTF or within the pages of some of sci-fi's greatest mags.

I hereby throw down the gauntlet and challenge you, my fellow Hatrackers who haven't "made it" yet, to beat me there.

Good luck,

Philo

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, philocinemas, they actually let you do that?

Good for you! Write on!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Challenge accepted. Shall we wager a hypothetical quarter?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Kathleen, they did. I had a discussion with my director at the beginning of this month, and I will officially be returning to my old position a week from this coming Monday. At this moment, or at least at moments surrounding this moment, I am reading my last batch of progress notes.

Hypothetical quarter wager accepted, genevive42

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, I'll throw an invisible portrait of Irving Forbrush in the pot.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't written all summer. The kids were home and I always felt behind on something, mostly cleaning, and we were constantly on the go. Now that the kids are back in school (except for one)I am finding time, specifically during my daughter's daily nap. My new goal is to write Monday through Friday during her nap. So I guess I'll join you and throw in a batch of fudge.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
By my count I've got four things I've started this year alone, that I haven't finished. Three have complete rough drafts that are in various states of revision; one is just something I never finished. Probably an aggregate total of, oh, fifty thousand words, just sitting there, oppressing me.

I hereby pledge to move at least two of them further along on the "finished" trail before my next major shutdown---vacation---in October. That's almost two months time and I should be able to do something between then and now. (What I'll do with them then is up for grabs.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yes, Kathleen, they did. I had a discussion with my director...
After reading your first post, my eyes read that last word as dictator.

I accept your challenge as well Philo, however, should you win I shall buy you a drink. Somewhere, somehow, I'll find a way to get it to you even if the bartender spins a computer monitor on its swivel and says "this one's on him" and my goofy mug is on the screen.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.