Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Careers you wish you had (besides writing)? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Careers you wish you had (besides writing)?
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I was reading a post by another hatracker and thinking about this topic, then thinking about how it might be interesting inspirational stuff for us writing types decided to postthis.

What job do you wish you tried? Had?

I wish I could be a doctor. Fascinated by it. The ethical issues involved with it mostly.

That said, I tend to want to pass out when people stick me with needles, while watching Alien, watching veterinary procedures performed on my cat, etc...

So probably not something I was inteneded to do, eh?

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I had always wished I went after a career in Police work. I have, and continue to, study the field. Just never panned out. But the field still fascinates me.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm fascinated by the novelty of just about every branch of science, by religion, politics and cultural differences, by the various arts. I resign myself to the notion that my rather eclectic interests stretch too far for one life. And if suspect that I worked for a couple of decades training to be an astronaut, would I then be wishing to, say, be at an archaeological dig somewhere? I dunno...

I wonder what work-experience opportunities exist for people who are 'too curious'?

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I regret that I never pursued engineering as a study and career...I'd planned to, but got sidetracked in college (and pretty sick of school by then, too). I may study it again after I retire, but that's as maybe.

On the other hand, given what goes on in Dilbert, I'd've probably hated being an engineer, too...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert,

Don't be too remorseful. I spend my days pondering what I should have done instead of engineering.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting, Wordcaster. They keep telling us over here how engineers live the lean life with gargantuan paychecks.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny this thread came up. I took over running the US distribution for this company I currently work for. And as such, I get emails all the time directed to the previous regime if you will. Anyways, I got this email, that said:BEST JOB EVER - it had several photos in it showing the process. And yeah, it looks like a good job to me, the job was spray painting clothes on breathtaking models.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Gargantuan paychecks? Wait a minute, I better investigate this!

I guess it's pretty large compared to my fiction writing income, but certainly nothing to write home about.

I don't have a dream job. My dream job is "no job," but a sustainable income to support global travel and leisure activities.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What BenM said, for the most part.

By the way, Connie Willis would tell you that the job for people who are "too curious" is called "writer." I love how she says that for writers, EVERYTHING is their business, so they can be as nosy as they like.

As for me: astronaut or forensic anthropologist

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 07, 2011).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
In hindsight, it might have been easier to go with the "independently wealthy" career path instead of dealing with computers all day.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I considered many careers while growing up, including Anthropologist, Archaeologist, Virologist, Pathologist, and of course, Professional Writer

I ended up with a degree in Anthropology, but my career is nowhere near as interesting: vocational rehabilitation.

Oh well. At least I can pretend that I do something exciting for a living through my fiction writing. That is, until I make a career out of fiction writing. Then I will be doing something exciting for a living.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I spend my days pondering what I should have done instead of engineering.

Actually, my grandfather was an engineer...he built bridges (and Stewart Field in Newburgh, NY). Dilbert is an engineer...he doesn't build bridges...

One reason I pursued this "postal worker" gig I've got now is that I could make a good living and have time to write. The living is good, but the time to write was more problematical...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm trying to make Writing my third career. Already been a soldier and a Scientist/Engineer.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly if I could stay in school the rest of my life it would be ok with me. I love learning. I get to write. Only problem is that money thing.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

You don't need to stay in school to learn, Montag. In fact you will learn more out of school. What's even better with the right job they will pay you to learn.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Either an astronaut or a paleontologist - or a more advanced degree in my current field - mental health.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

quote:
Honestly if I could stay in school the rest of my life it would be ok with me. I love learning.

The problem for me was the opposite. I could not wait to be done with school. I love to learn, but teachers and I have never seen eye to eye (a problem my children's teachers are seeing now). When I got to college, I found professors to be a bit more open to other ways of thinking.

The other problem is school takes too long. I love to learn, but I don't want to spend the next six months on one class. Let me take the whole class in a 40 hours in one week course and I would love school again.

Impatience can be a virtue too.

[This message has been edited by EVOC (edited March 08, 2011).]

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

There's another thought...by the time I finished with school, really, I was sick of it. In my college days, I flunked calculus...fell asleep in physics...found the computer programming course involved punch cards...and had to sit through endless pointless things on writing and literature.

I'd planned to go back and get a degree in something, but never did. I just didn't want to do it anymore. I suppose I'd have gone back sometimes in my late 20s if I hadn't fallen into the postal trap.

Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I may not do anything glamorous for a living but have met lots of interesting people along the way. You'd be amazed at what kind of people do production work and some of the stories that come with them. The job itself is boring. Just the same old thing over and over again, day in-day out. Can't complain about the money though. It pays the bills and lets me support my horse habit.

And that's where I've really met some interesting people... through horses. All kinds. Rich, poor, and everywhere in between at horse shows, horse association meetings and activities, organized trail rides, and giving riding lessons. You wouldn't believe the variety of people involved with horses.

Take that summer I spent with a hunter/jumper stable. I was there every weekend. The lady who ran the place gave me jumping lessons in exchange for helping around the place.

She had a step-son who came home to visit on occasion. He was a jockey for a Quarter Horse stable. I remember taking my mare Wimpy over the outside jump course and caught him watching me. Later, he complimented my form over fence and riding abiliites. (Note: I was 21 at the time and weighed around 105 pounds.) He offered to put in a word for me where he worked to ride race horses as an exercise girl with a chance to become a jockey. I had to really think that over. I was so tempted but afraid I'd have no time for my own horses and turned him down.

I always wonder what my life would've been like if I'd taken him up on it. I know I would never have met my husband of almost 35 years. Or some of the best friends I could ever have. Would it have been a better life than what I have now? Who knows? But it does make me wonder.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, another job. I don't know really.

How about Chief Beer Taster? or Harem Quality Controller. Hmm, yes, that one. I can even feel a story coming on

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

Weren't all Harem workers Eunuchs?
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
I always wanted to be a hockey player. I still sometimes get to play pickup games, butt it's not exactly the same without the promise of the Stanley Cup.
I'd love to be a ceramicist.
A very, very common career suggestion that doesn't much interest me at all is, "Dave, you should be a rabbi!"

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynicalpen
Member # 9378

- posted      Profile for cynicalpen           Edit/Delete Post 
Always wanted to be a vaudevillian. I can see myself juggling bicycles (while riding a bicycle) even now.
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I suppose Eunuch would be an all-right job, providing you with the things most people don't have...though most guys would be happy to have the things they don't have...
pdblake
Member # 9218

No, no, no. The Harem Quality Controller would need all his bits intacts to, well, er, confirm the quality of the harem. A bit like a food taster needs his tongue
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
pd; What you're describing sounds very much like a breeding stallion. Gee, maybe you were born the wrong species .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suppose Eunuch would be an all-right job

The hiring process leaves a bit to be desired, though.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

quote:
Gee, maybe you were born the wrong species .

Not all of me

Seriously, I'd prefer the beer tasting, much less effort

Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Acting--and I'm making that happen. Growing up though, I always wanted to be a robotics engineer like Tony Stark.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I always remember a few lines (probably misquoted here) from, of all things, "Rugrats"...

Angelica: Who is she?
Grampa: She's Madame Evil.
Angelica: What's she do?
Grampa: Nothing. She just evil, that's all.
Angelica: You mean you can get a job like that?

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Past: Marine

Present: Engineer

Future: Author, Gunsmith

Beyond that: First Mate on a sailboat, catamaran

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Captain Picard! I want to drive a Starship!

Actually, I would love to complete my Music Therapy degree and get that ball rolling again.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always loved learning and teaching.

College was like a carnival for me--except for the stress/obsession for excellence (or at least high GPA) necessary to keep my career choices open. Still, there were thrills to be had, a seemingly endless selection of interesting courses to take, great people to learn from, and the empowering sense of community. I wanted to read and write and teach at the college level: probably in the English Department (though Humanities and History were also favorites of mine).

Back then, oh thirty odd plus years ago, I set myself the goal of achieving by the end of my Junior year either professional publication of my fiction or syndication of my comic strip (I was the cartoonist for the university paper and yearbook). However, the best I achieved was a smattering of encouraging rejection letters from the editors of F&SF and IASF, the University Bookstore purchase of a family-published paperback collecting my cartoons, and a brief spree of income from 52 illustrated ads I made for commercial business clients in Maine.
I just didn't meet my goals.

If I had, my life would have likely been far different. I would never have joined the Army, had a fairly intensive medical career, seen as much of the world as I have, and I probably would have instead accumulated a half-dozen worn tweed coats with felt patches at the elbows, and possibly a rack of garish bow ties, and a pipe.
And no guarantee I would have published any fiction.

What I recognized back then, at least for me, I had a better chance of becoming a physician than becoming a professional writer. And I did love medical science, and the idealistic image of being a respected leader in the community caring for others (I was dissuaded of this Marcus Welby image fairly soon, though. Working in a metropolitan public hospital will do this.)

Anyway, as my Junior year in college ended, I turned off the right half of my brain for 30 years and got accepted to Medical School, became a physician, practiced academic and clinical medicine, became involved at the local and state and national levels in my discipline, headed my group and Chaired the Imaging Departments of two hospitals--though I still had opportunities to teach...but just medicine. I even published in medical journals.

However, I've always kept the hope that "someday" I'd write... i.e. be creative again...and perhaps even go to "senior college" when I met the age requirement (not yet, but soon) and take a gallimaufry (cheerful assortment) of liberal arts courses of my choice.
And I won't have to worry about my grades.

Now, finally, that I have let go of nearly all my administrative medical duties, and the missus and I are happy empty nesters, I've unbarred the wooden door, shiny with shellac, to the right half of my brain...just enough to slip in on occassion. I've got a lot of cleaning to do, but I've dusted the old padded leather chair and writing table and placed them on the rug by the hearth and laid wood for a fire. Someday I'll settle in and light it, walk to the windows and pull back the curtains, and take inspiration from the view, over the hills and faraway and beyond the fields we know.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

[This message has been edited by History (edited March 09, 2011).]

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Winters
Member # 9429

- posted      Profile for Winters   Email Winters         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be awesome to be a film sound designer/foley artist. Mr. Ben Burtt has the coolest job in the world.
Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

If there was an opening for "Martian warlord," I never saw it advertised...
Utahute72
Member # 9057

My theme song for life is Jimmy Buffet's "A Pirate Looks at Forty"

I've always loved the lines.

quote:
The Cannon don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder.
I'm an over forty victim of fate.
My occupational hazard is my occupation is just not around.

[This message has been edited by Utahute72 (edited March 10, 2011).]

EVOC
Member # 9381

quote:
If there was an opening for "Martian warlord," I never saw it advertised...

You have to go to theladders.com "100k plus jobs for 100K plus people."

shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to be Doctor Who's companion.
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Utahute72, do you have permission to post those lyrics?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A middle-school buddy of mine was, at least last time I checked, director of the Congressional Budget Office. (No, we're not in contact at the present time.)

On the one hand, he was one of the three guys I've met who I thought were smarter than I was...on the other hand, I'm struck with envy as I think I could've done it myself...but on the other hand, up till recently his boss was Nancy Pelosi. What to think of a situation like that?

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Robert,

There's three people smarter than you? Surely you're just being modest.

As far as working for Pelosi, I wouldn't mind. Does she even know she has a budget office?

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about to finish a degree in physics (hopefully). After that I will need to find myself a job. The problem is I have no idea what I want to do.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Robert and Wordcaster,

S-(

(a frown under a glare, in case you couldn't tell).

I prefer to do that instead of this:

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited March 12, 2011).]

Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Kathleen,

You know the look a child has when he is caught stealing a cookie from the cookie jar?

I just saw it in the mirror.

My apologies. I have no desire to embark on fruitless political arguments anyway. They all end up the same: several angry faces and no changed minds.

I hope this will make your become
I don't know the code for an angry face

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Wordcaster, apologies accepted.

If you go to this page (which you can reach through the Smilies Legend link to the left of any reply box, by the way), you will see how I did the angry face, and some of the other faces available.

I confess that when I agree with what people have posted of a political nature, it's a little more challenging for me to do something about it. But I try to not let my own opinions and feelings factor into what I do here on the forum.

wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Trash man.

You get first dibs on all the stuff everybody is throwing out, and you get to drive around by yourself all day. No customer service, no dealing with coworkers, none of that stress, And I hear they get paid pretty well.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

That reminds me of a couple of lines from "Roc." Roc was a garbageman. His brother, a new hiree, said something like, "So I get to ride around with you on the garbage truck, huh?" Roc replied, "You think you can just walk in the door and get one of the cushy jobs..."

That being said...our local garbage pickup service just switched to these enormous cans---one each for garbage and recyclables---provided by the service---that get lifted by a dumper on the truck. I haven't seen it bragged about in the papers, but I estimate it eliminated at least one job per truck---and the service is inferior...

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
A while back I thought being a teacher would be good. Maybe of history.

I think high school or collage would be more better for that.

Maybe being a radio DJ. Not much money in that but it might be fun and depending on the station exciting and rewarding in some ways. And on another thread I said I day dreamed about making enough money writing where I wouldn't need a full time job, so be a DJ for four hours five days a week and write the rest of the time.

Maybe being a Pastor but there's a lot of responsibility there, not to mention people watching you all the time.

There's being a CEO of multi-bullion dollar company. That's usually 60 to 80 hour a week job though. But even without experience on my part I figure after hearing about some of the failures in the last few years I could make the same mistakes and do for only half the money.

One more serious idea. Non-fiction writing. I have some political and societal ideas I wouldn't mind writing out or exploring even though the books would probably be short. Those types of books seem to be the in thing these days.

Hmmm, just read a post on another site where the poster discussed how she is writing political articles for a certain web site that pays per click. Need to check them out...if I can find the time to write a whole article and if I can do the way they want it.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited March 13, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I missed that Kathleen was mad at me and Wordcaster, and I humbly apologize...even though I don't know whether it was the "eunuch" post or the "Nancy Pelosi" post.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Politics, Robert. And I wasn't mad, I was glaring (which is different, IMO).

BTW, we've had those big bins for a while now, and they work okay. Just be sure you put them out far enough apart that the garbage truck "arm" doesn't knock one over while picking up the other (they say at least 3 feet apart).

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.