FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have no idea why I think this is so funny (Romanian dance song and video) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I have no idea why I think this is so funny (Romanian dance song and video)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool! From the Wikipedia link, Another "official" video -- and this one includes a female vocalist.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I HAD JUST GOTTEN THAT OUT OF MY HEAD! [Mad]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like that version as much, rivka. mac, it will never leave your head again. Never. [Evil Laugh]

[ February 02, 2005, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Yeah, I don't think I do either. I'm not sure why.

You know, the weird thing is the actual MEANING of the lyrics. It's rather a stalker-ish song, isn't it?

mack, it's not like I held a sword to your head. [Razz] No one made you click the link.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you know?
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

*snort*

Suuuuure.

rivka
Member # 4859

Well, no one else has commented on the stalker-ish-ness of the lyrics.

So I guess it's time to analyze them, line by line.
quote:
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha

The translation claims these are just nonsense words. But are they? No idea if any of it sounds like Romanian words, but "maya" is a word in some languages, and "Maya" is a name in others. And "haha" is a laughing sound.
quote:
Alo, Salut, sunt eu, un haiduc,
Hello [on a cellphone], greetings, it's me, an outlaw,

Interesting. So, he's self-identifying as a criminal.
quote:
Si te rog, iubirea mea, primeste fericirea.
I ask you, my love, to accept happiness.

Or? Sounds a bit like a threat.
quote:
Alo, alo, sunt eu Picasso,
Hello, hello, it's me, Picasso,

He has some sort of art fetish, OR, he's threatening to rearrange her face.
quote:
Ti-am dat beep, si sunt voinic,
I sent you a beep [cellphone signal], and I'm brave [or strong],

Another implied threat.
quote:
Dar sa stii nu-ti cer nimic.
But you should know that I'm not asking for anything from you.

That's what they all say.
quote:
Vrei sa pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei,
Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei.

You want to leave but you don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want to take me, don't want don't want don't want to take me.

He doesn't want to let her get away, even though that's clearly what she wants.
quote:
Chipul tau si dragostea din tei,
Your face and the love from the linden trees,

This line must be important -- the title comes from it. But I don't quite get it. Linden trees apparently smell nice, shed lots, and the leaves can be used to brew tea as a cold remedy. Best guess: symbol of beauty and light.
quote:
Mi-amintesc de ochii tai.
And I remember your eyes.

Oooh, creepy!

The rest of the lines pretty much repeat.

So, he's not asking anything of her, BUT: this criminal is laughing at her, threatening her, sees her as a symbol of idealized beauty (rather than a real person) and is fixated on her eyes.

Stalker-ish, neh?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think he's remembering making love to her under the linden trees, since most translations of the title render it "Love Among the Linden Trees", not "from".

And yes, it's stalkerish, but not like "Every Breath You Take". (I know Lost Boys is your FAVORITE book, Rivka. [Razz] )

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Ah, that would indeed make more sense.

And yes, it is more subtle than Every Breath -- but what isn't?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Well, many pop "love" songs have a stalker element.

Just as many of my favorite children's songs are tragic. [Wink]

rivka
Member # 4859

*laugh* True enough. However, I don't listen to most of 'em close to nonstop for two days.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Maybe if they were in a language you didn't understand without a translation and had a eerily hypnotic beat?
rivka
Member # 4859

Actually, I usually hate listening to songs with words I don't understand, techno-pop or no. This song is just . . . different.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Interesting. So, he's self-identifying as a criminal.
But a SEXY criminal! [Smile]
Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He has some sort of art fetish, OR, he's threatening to rearrange her face.

Thanks rivka I almost choked on an apple.
How would you have felt if my parents had found me dead on the floor in the morning. [No No]

Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Um . . . don't blame me!

It's all KATIE's fault!

Allegra
Member # 6773

Did she have a knife to your head forcing you to type that? Did she create you and in the process make you witty? I think not. I guess the real culprit here is God.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh.. that Italian version... not the same.
And the chick singing it is like... a baritone! [Eek!]

quote:
Now considered both, a dancing anthem, and a gay anthem, it also achieved some club success in the US. A collaboration between Dan Balan of O-Zone, and New York DJ Lucas Prata created a version of the same tune in English. This version, renamed "Mai A Hee", is only superficially connected to the original lyrics, with no mention of trees.

I KNEW the Family would pick up on this song!! [Big Grin] Shame I haven't actually been out to a gay club in forever... *sigh*

And there is an English version?? But it doesn't sing about the trees??? [Cry]
I'm still curious....

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Thanks rivka I almost choked on an apple.
How would you have felt if my parents had found me dead on the floor in the morning

heheh...
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

DUDES!

You know what is SO cool about the song? It's that the baritone guy is the one hitting all the high notes! Too awesome! *drools*

rivka
Member # 4859

No, Allegra, you misunderstand. It's Katie's fault because she was the one who introduced this pernicious meme to Hatrack. [Wink]
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
he's threatening to rearrange her face.
[ROFL] Ah! Ha hah hah! Too funny!

I think it's funny that some people don't like listening to lyrics they don't understand. I listen to just about anything that sounds cool, and probably understand the lyrics to about 45% of my library. I pride myself in at least figuring out what language they're in, though. [Smile] Funny that we have such different reactions.

I bought the song from iTunes, and introduced it to my (16 year old) sister this morning. She thought it was hilarious and we kept singing it while I drove her to school. She then frantically tried to find a radio station with something else to get stuck in her head so she wouldn't be singing "Mai a ha ha!" all day. I waited until she was in class and then called and left a message on her cell phone: "Mai a hee, mai a hoo...."

[Evil]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
*laugh* That's wonderful!

I feel sad that Hatrack missed this meme the first time around. Also, I've had it playing in the background all morning. It hasn't quite reached the Hey Ya! point, though - not sure why.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisha-princess
Member # 6966

- posted      Profile for Lisha-princess   Email Lisha-princess         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister went on a student ambassador trip this last summer to Europe and came home loving some European techno-pop song. She made me listen to it once and I was like, "...Uhh...ok..."

I called home tonight and was telling my dad about this video and song, and he was like, "It's not that awful song your sister likes so much is it?" I asked to talk to my sister.

It is.

MEANWHILE I was having a crummy morning (forgetting to do important homework, oversleeping, not having dinner last night or breakfast this morning, and having a 2nd degree burn on my poor finger are just...agh.), and now that song is stuck in my head again. I'd watch the video again and cheer myself up, but I'm sitting in class and that just wouldn't fly. Besides...thinking about that video already makes me crack a smile as is. [Smile] [Laugh]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I was thinking about this last night, Rivka, and have a less-stalkerish, still creepy, but less non-sensical idea about what the song means. (Incidentally, I fell asleep singing it under my breath and woke up with it in my head.) But yours is funnier, so I think I'll leave it be.
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
bump for Geoff?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha

Maia is probably a name.
Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But when they spell it in English, it's Mai a Hee, so I don't think it's "Maia" at all.
Annie
Member # 295

It's one of those eternal mysteries, like the chorus to Asereje by Las Ketchup and whether or not the da-da-dees of Blue by Eiffel 65 is really carefully disguised homosexual propaganda like my Dad claimed..
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How about the song that American Idle guy did? I think it was called invisible or something like that.
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
This video makes me happy.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Including the king of all stalker songs -- "Every Step You Take" by The Police.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

quote:
da-da-dees of Blue by Eiffel 65 is really carefully disguised homosexual propaganda like my Dad claimed..
That part actually says " I'm blue I will bleed I will die I will bleed I will die....." I have heard that the record execs wanted it blurred a little so it would sound like nonsense.
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
American Idle
[ROFL]
Love it! Love it!

Boris
Member # 6935

quote:
That part actually says " I'm blue I will bleed I will die I will bleed I will die....." I have heard that the record execs wanted it blurred a little so it would sound like nonsense.
The whole song is just the result of the following bet...
"I bet you can't write a song that uses the word "blue" a hundred times!"

Apparently both the better and song writer were high at the time. However, the song writer was high longer and there you have it. Blue.

Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

ACK! I couldn't get this song out of my head. I caught myself chair dancing to it! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! NOOO!!!
mackillian
Member # 586

This song has made it to our fencing club. >_<
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

mph, you should look at my last post in this thread before the one you quoted... [Razz]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
The dancing kitten subtitles are in Japanese. They are not a translation of the lyrics, though. They were chosen to sound like the lyrics, as though it were what the singer was actually saying. Much like the Japanese lyrics were rendered into English in the famous Irrational Exuberance video.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
*hangs head in shame*
[Smile]

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Huh.

I was curious as to exactly which of the words in the title was which. Was expecting dragostea to be the word for linden trees -- no, that's tei. Dragostea is love.

Interesting.

Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

quote:
Maia is probably a name.
Yah...for Sauron, the Balrog, AND Gandalf. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

"Tei" sounds like "Trees" to me...
Annie
Member # 295

So, I burned a CD of mixed foreign dance music for my little siblings since they enjoyed this track so much. I thought they'd get a kick out of some other fun Europop I own....

Nope. They've just been listening to Dragostea Din Tei on endless repeat for 24 hours now. [Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm telling you, it's strangely hypnotic. Maybe it's acutally not Romainan at all, but backwards devil-talk! O_o
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Wait, in the anime video, that's a guy??

That explains the deltoids. I just thought it was a little girl.

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Huh? I thought the guy remark was about the other band's version.
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

There's a line under the flash video that says this:
quote:
Completely random flash of a chibi guy dancing to a hit Euro dance tune.
The song title is 'Dragoste din tei' by 'OZONE' if you're curious.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you ever dance, kat?
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Well...my apartment has a mirrored wall in the dining room to make it look bigger. I don't have a dining table, but have instead lined the unmirrored walls with bookcases.

*blush* Do I have to answer that question? I will, but only to those who will dance with me. [Smile]

[ February 04, 2005, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: Lady Jane ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.