FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I have no idea why I think this is so funny (Romanian dance song and video) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: I have no idea why I think this is so funny (Romanian dance song and video)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I'll dance! I just was, in fact... It seems to entertain Emma. Not to mention her Abba...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

- posted      Profile for Lady Jane   Email Lady Jane         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'll bring it to Atlanta...

Oooo...Dallas for sure. I can dance with Noah!

Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It can be your talent. [Razz]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] or [Wall Bash]
I can't decide which best shows me breakdancing.

Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Jane
Member # 7249

*laugh* Yes, I danced to it. It's been on repeat for about three hours now, but has yet to break Hey Ya!'s record of eight straight hours.
Posts: 1163 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been singing it for almost 3 days now. [Angst]
Lefty the One-armed Man
Member # 6161

- posted      Profile for Lefty the One-armed Man           Edit/Delete Post 
oh

my

goodness

That guy could be my twin. He's a chubbier version of me right down to the same style glasses. That's just wierding me out. It's like looking in the mirror.

Can't...stop...playing!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You must look like my brother.
Lefty the One-armed Man
Member # 6161

I think I must look like a lot of people's brothers. I can't count the number of times someone's come up to me on campus and ask if I'm related to so-and-so. "You look just like you could be his little brother!"

Apparently a lot of gene combinations end up looking like me. I am the highest point of evolution!

Posts: 18 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, given reversion to the mean, the lowest. [Wink]

One year and 10 posts! Are you a super-lurker come out of hiding, someone's alternate SN, or just a rare visitor?

Either way, [Wave]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lefty the One-armed Man
Member # 6161

Superlurker. I created this name for a gag on the hug thread and just use it on the rare occasions when I have something to say.

[Wave]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

Wow. *impressed*
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
I created this name for a gag on the hug thread
Ahhh! I remember now. [Smile]

*giggle* I have the song on endless loop, and am about to head out to pick up my son. I asked my girls if I should leave it on while I'm out, and they were quite emphatic about their yeses. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I'm telling you, anything that's this addictive for this many people must be demonspawn.

Oooh, Hatrack may be demonspawn, too! [Eek!]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Katie, what have you done? Emma is now singing along! [Eek!] She doesn't usually do that until she's been hearing something on a regular basis for at least a month...

[ February 04, 2005, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: ketchupqueen ]

Lady Jane
Member # 7249

*grin* That is wonderful!
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're not the one who now has to live with a 10-month-old Dragostea Din Tei addict... [Wink]
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, this song is infectious. I thought the lip-synching guy video was amusing once, and I figured I was done with it. After watching all the other videos, though, I can't get this bloody thing out of my head. Now I've transcribed the lyrics into Word and am trying to memorize them, even though I don't speak a word of Romanian. [Grumble]

It's the chorus, I think. It's the whole "nu ma, nu ma iei" thing. It just plain sounds cool.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've been singing it non-stop all day, Verily. Try reading the lyrics as you listen to the song, I memorized them faster that way. (Why did I do this? Because if I was going to have the durned thing stuck in my head, I wanted to have the right durned words in there. Nothing more annoying than having a song in your head you don't know the words to, and so can't even sing.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Okay, according to my husband, I woke him at 1:30, singing and "bed dancing" to this song in my sleep. [Angst]
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got it going on loop in the background right not the song, the guy dancing to the song. Its hilarious, but addictive also. If you don't speak romanian (like me) there's a version of it with subtitles somewhere... let me see if I can find it again...

Here we are.

Click on the "Watch this movie" link. Then after its done loading select the "play with subtitles".

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
My old roommate is in charge of the variety show for an upcoming state-wide church yound adult conference. She just called me and asked if I would do some sort of funny musical act....

I am getting all sorts of wild ideas involving Romanian Folk costume, a bit of traditional dancing, and a bit of Napoleon-style boogying.

[Evil]

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Romanian folk costume? Like a Dracula costume? [Razz]
pseudo-hobbit
Member # 7269

- posted      Profile for pseudo-hobbit   Email pseudo-hobbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I almost fell out of my chair laughing at the lip-synching guy. Now the link is bookmarked and the song is in my playlist. Can't...stop...chair dancing...

quote:
Okay, according to my husband, I woke him at 1:30, singing and "bed dancing" to this song in my sleep.
There is no turning back. You are lost forever to the rhythm! [Eek!]
Posts: 24 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

It being Shabbos meant that the computer was off and silent. And I didn't turn it back on for an hour or so after Shabbos was over . . . and the song didn't get turned back on for at LEAST 15 minutes after that.

>_< I think I need a 12-step group! [Angst]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent the link to my twelve year old cousin. I'm expecting a phone call from my aunt or uncle sometime tomorrow. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Wow, that is WAY worse than a drum set! mack! [No No]
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Their own fault for living so far away in Florida. Shipping on a drum set is SO expensive.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oooh, you're evil.
Annie
Member # 295

quote:
I was curious as to exactly which of the words in the title was which. Was expecting dragostea to be the word for linden trees -- no, that's tei.
Are you sure about this? Because in the line mi aminesc de ochii tei (I remember your eyes), I'm pretty sure tei is your, since ochii is rather clearly eyes.

Where's Corwin? Corwin!

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
dictionary link
quote:
dragoste
# sf love; "căsătorie din dragoste" love match; "a face dragoste" to make love; "a se căsători din dragoste" to marry for love; "din dragoste pentru cineva" out of love for somebody

quote:
din
# prep on: "oglindă din perete" the mirror on the wall; from: "din floare în floare" from flower to flower, out of: "a ieşi din magazin" to walk out of the shop; of: "pâine din făină albă" bread of white flour, "din întâmplare" by chance; "din ce în ce mai" more and more; "din greşeală" by mistake; "din teamă" for fear; "din dragoste" for love

quote:
tei
# sm lime; linden tree

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gnixing
Member # 768

- posted      Profile for gnixing   Email gnixing         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
tăi
# adj your; "ai tăi" yours

Posts: 494 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
I kept trying to avoid this thread as long as possible, but... :shudders:

Anyway, gnixing is right, it's "tăi" not "tei" in this line: "Mi-amintesc de ochii tăi". Actually "mi" is a reflexive form of the first person singular pronoun, since the verb "to remember" is reflexive in Romanian. The "I" isn't used since Romanian has different forms for the verb depending on the person. "de" is a preposition that is used here because the verb is intransitive. The funny thing is that if you say you remember something it's transitive, and if you say you remember someone it's intransitive...

"tei" is indeed "linden", and "dragoste" is "love". There are also other words for love, and the verb "to love" is "a (= to) iubi". The noun from this is "iubire".

And if you're wondering about the "sf" or "sm" they are short for: "substantiv" (noun) "feminin" and "masculin". We also have neuter nouns which oddly have a male singular form and female plural one. [Dont Know]

Also, "haiduc" were the Romanian "Robin Hood"s, taking from the rich and giving to the poor. Unfortunately we don't have them around anymore...

quote:
Ma-ia-hii
Ma-ia-huu
Ma-ia-hoo
Ma-ia-haha

Either a name or really nothing but sounds. I'm inclined to say the latter.

"Salut" is just a way to say "hello" - in person, not on the cellphone, not "greetings". And while "alo" indeed means "hello" on a phone I have to say that it's more likely that "hello" and "alo" both come from French than the other way around.

As for why linden is seen as a romantic symbol, that's because our greatest poet, Mihai Eminescu used it as such in his poems. Love "among the linden flowers" was present in many of his love poems, and he actually had a favorite linden. If I remember correctly thay linden's still around and quite visited. [Wink] Here's a little about Eminescu and also some translated poems: Mihai Eminescu .

Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I've been peeking at this thread, but had resisted clicking any of the links. Originally because I was at work, and that just doesn't fly, but then because I am incredibly susceptible to catchy pop music.

Sure enough, iTunes is downloading the entire album for me even as we speak.

It still doesn't beat the song I got from my brother, though, that is in german and the only thing I can understand is when they sing "Sailor Moon," which happens quite frequently. I haven't tried googling for more info on that, maybe I will and give you all a link. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

[ROFL]
rivka
Member # 4859

Thanks for the clarifications, Corwin. [Smile] I gather from your :shudder: that you're not terribly fond of the song? Heard it too many times? Or just not to your taste?
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
Really not my taste. I've heard it about two or three times. Amazing what you can do when you're NOT in Romania! [Big Grin]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, that explaination of the genders and forms of pronouns differing with the number, etc. explains why Romanian is pointed to as so close to Latin.
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
Numa numa!
*random bump*

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uhleeuh
Member # 6803

- posted      Profile for Uhleeuh   Email Uhleeuh         Edit/Delete Post 
This was on Vh1's Best Week Ever about 2 weeks ago. [Smile] I showed my little brother a few days before, so he laughed with me when we both said "Hey, that was on Hatrack!"
Posts: 378 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Yeah, my husband saw a news clip from ABC on Yahoo about this kid, and cracked up. He said, "Hey Anne, it's your song!" (and immediately regretted it because it was then stuck in my head for another day and a half before I managed to get it out.)
Annie
Member # 295

It was on the Today Show too. My little sisters went crazy. "Mom! Mom! Wake up! It's may ya hee!"
Telperion the Silver
Member # 6074

- posted      Profile for Telperion the Silver   Email Telperion the Silver         Edit/Delete Post 
BUMP!

Everybody dance!!

[Party]

Posts: 4953 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

*bashes Telp and the party animals with a large boombox*

I. Just. Got. This. Back. OUT!!! And then I take ONE LOOK at the topic, and it's back in!

rivka
Member # 4859

I, OTOH, have discovered that I am now able to listen to -- and enjoy -- it just once, and move on to the next song. [Smile]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I don't listen to it, because it would be in for DAYS. Heck, it sticks for hours just from a thought of it! [Wall Bash]
rivka
Member # 4859

You know, I'm still oddly proud of my line-by-line stalker-elements analysis post. [Big Grin]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

It's a good post. You should keep it forever.

I know I will. I sometimes read it when I'm thinking about you washing your hair. [Taunt]

rivka
Member # 4859

Someday, a confused newbie will be reading old threads, and come across one that has a post like the one above, and wonder what the heck that was about.

I've got the jump on him/her -- I've been trying to figure it out for weeks.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

You're not alone. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm talking about, much less Jeff... *looks lost*
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.