FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » So a working title is apparently public, and someone stole OSC's term!

Author Topic: So a working title is apparently public, and someone stole OSC's term!
Child_of_Ender
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Child_of_Ender   Email Child_of_Ender         Edit/Delete Post 
I was searching around the web and found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ender_in_Exile:_Ganges

Ender in Exile: Ganges (working title) is an additional book by Orson Scott Card to the Ender's Game series of books that will work on tying the Ender Quartet and Bean Quartet together.

So it seems a title has been made atleast semi public by Mr. Card...or atleast the media decided to create thier own.

Also found this: http://docs.projectxenocide.com/index.php/General:FAQ

What is Xenocide?

Welcome to Project Xenocide! Within the walls of this project, we are a hard-working international group of individuals endeavoring to recreate the spirit and feel of Atari's (formerly Microprose) turn-based strategy classic: X-COM: UFO Defense in a new game entitled "Xenocide."

So uh, last I remember, did OSC pen this term? As I recall there was no term to describe the elimination of a sentient raman species prior to his novel. So is this really allowed?

Just some minor curiousities...

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Child_of_Ender
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Child_of_Ender   Email Child_of_Ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh also:
Card: Shadows in Flight will come after Children of the Mind but will include some loose ends from Shadow of the Giant. It's not properly a sequel to Giant, though.

Ender in Exile: Ganges, the working title right now, is also not really a sequel to Giant, though it likewise picks up a couple of plot threads from Giant and brings Ender himself to a colony world where a woman named Randi and her child now live.

There also may someday be a Mazer Rackham novel.

taken from: http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue422/interview2.html

Figured some of this is known by now, but it was worth putting up just in case.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
If you're willing to wade through This thread, that was probably the source from which someone posted the wikipedia stub. Which anyone can do, of course.

As for Xenocide, I'm not sure if OSC claims to have made that up or not. I believe it was his attitude that it is the legitimate conjuction of two morphemes whose meanings are clear enough. The fact that most educated people know what it means as well as they would the term "White Chocolate" makes it not a unique invention. Though I find it clever.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrapperKeeper
Member # 7680

- posted      Profile for TrapperKeeper   Email TrapperKeeper         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty sure when I was younger I had a game for the original NES called Xenocide.

If OSC coined it, he wasn't the first to coin it.

**Edit**
Just researched it, it was Xenophobe. Ah well.

Posts: 375 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There also may someday be a Mazer Rackham novel
I just did a quick search of the forum and found several threads that said that OSC did the short story about Mazer in the first issue of IGMS instead of a novel.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CRash
Member # 7754

- posted      Profile for CRash   Email CRash         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that working title has been around for almost a year now (see this thread )...that interview wikipedia refers to was May of 05.

As for the term "Xenocide", I think OSC was the one who first used the term--my searches on works that use the word are all from later than the mid-90s. Here's a quote from him.

quote:
Originally posted by Orson Scott Card:
Xenocide includes the idea of a sentient species.

As far as I know, I coined the word. But since its meaning is obvious, once it catches on I doubt there'll be a footnote citing me wherever it appears <grin>.

Genocide: The attempt to eradicate, deliberately, a particular group of human beings.

Xenocide: The elimination of a species of nonhuman aliens.

But if the word is actually picked up in the language, it will mean exactly what the concensus makes it mean - like every other word in the language.

The word may be getting more usage now as more and more people who have read the Ender books move into positions of influence (i.e., graduate from high school). And it's no surprise at all for terminology and ideas from the Ender books to show up in the Iraq and Afghanistan theaters of operation. The books are widely read there.

Posts: 973 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
"So uh, last I remember, did OSC pen this term? As I recall there was no term to describe the elimination of a sentient raman species prior to his novel. So is this really allowed?"

Yes. A word is a word, no matter who pens it. Use it freely, I give you my permission, as much as that is worth to you.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, has it really been a year? How weird.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Child_of_Ender
Member # 9421

Heh, I only posted this, and yes, foolishly without looking at the date on the wikipedia page, simply because people are still posting away title ideas, and I guess that since I had not seen the combination of Ender in Exile and the latter :Ganges, that he had finally decided on one...even if tentatively. Oh well..shows how much the net is reliable...(though i should have know better simply based upon that [Razz] )

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.