FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100 Reasons to love Harry Potter (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 100 Reasons to love Harry Potter
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
There was a member named Harry Potter back in 2000. I wonder if they are still around. [Dont Know]
Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
95 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #95: Hermione's first lie:

quote:
"I went looking for the troll because I -- I thought I could deal with it on my own -- you know, because I've read all about them."

Ron dropped his wand. Hermione Granger, telling a downright lie to a teacher?

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter ten, "Halloween"

The beginning of her downfall... [Evil]

[ April 11, 2005, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
#95 Goblin Language "Bladvak"
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

94 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #94: Mr. Weasley--Muggle lover, extraordinaire. [Smile]

quote:
"Your sons flew that car to Harry's house and back last night!" Shouted Mrs. Weasley. "What have you got to say about that, eh?"

"Did you really?" said Mr. Weasley eagerly. "Did it go all right? I--I mean," he faltered as sparks flew from Mrs. Weasley's eyes, "that--that was very wrong, boys--very wrong indeed...."

--from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter three, "The Burrow"

[ April 13, 2005, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
#94--Ron's Uranus joke in PoA
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
#94 The sixth book will be published on jully, 16th : My birthday !! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

What a great birthday present, Choobak! [Smile]

93 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (and Choobak's birthday [Wink] )! [Big Grin]

Reason #93: Early Ginny...

quote:
At that moment there was a diversion in the form of a small, red-headed figure in a long nightdress, who appeared in the kitchen, gave a small squeal, and ran out again.

"Ginny," said Ron in an undertone to Harry. "My sister. She's been talking about you all summer."

--also from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter three, "The Burrow"

(No worries, all-grown-up Ginny will be a reason later on in the countdown... [Smile] )
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason #93: Knobbly Knees
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
#93: The third movie came out on my 21st birthday, and the fourth movie will be out on my younger sister's 18th birthday. No better way to celebrate!
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
Also #93: When Ginny puts her elbow in the butter dish.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
#93--The mirror of Erised.
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

92 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #92: Dudley thinks he's all that...Harry actually is. [Razz]

quote:
"They stuff people's heads down the toilet the first day at Stonewall," he told Harry. "Want to come upstairs and practice?"

"No, thanks," said Harry. "The poor toilet's never had anything as horrible as your head down it--it might be sick." Then he ran, before Dudley could work out what he'd said.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see Johnathan K's face!! Does he really look like Potter?
I tried Foobonic, but I couldn't find you...

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
#94--Ron's Uranus joke in PoA
This was actually in OotP, after he touched the brain's 'thoughts' in the Dept. of Mysteries. [Smile]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
96 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince!

Reason #96: Because Dumbledore had this to say about music:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Ah, music," he said wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here! And now, bedtime. Off you trot!"

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter seven "The Sorting Hat"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amen! That's gotta be one of my favorite lines. (Look at my nickname, you'll understand why.)

Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WigginWinning
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for WigginWinning   Email WigginWinning         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason: Learning to use one's "wand" resposibly and for good is a very important lesson.
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

91 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #91: Weasley Sweaters! [Big Grin]

quote:
"I think I know who that one's from," said Ron, turning a bit pink and pointing to a very lumpy parcel. "My mom. I told her you didn't expect any presents and--oh, no," he groaned, "She's made you a Weasley sweater."

Harry had torn open the parcel to find a thick, hand-knitted sweater in emerald green and a large box of homemade fudge.

"Every year she makes us a sweater," said Ron, unwrapping his own, "and mine's always maroon."

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter twelve, "The Mirror of Erised"

HesterGray
Member # 7384

#91: The cure for post-dementor shock is chocolate!
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
#91: Lily's sacrifice.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

quote:
This was actually in OotP, after he touched the brain's 'thoughts' in the Dept. of Mysteries.
He also says it in PoA. I guess Ron really likes Uranus jokes.

#91: the giant squid.

Choobak
Member # 7083

#91 because it is the post 70 and it is my number, my familly. It is what i am. And I like very much JKR's Book. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

#91: Aragog and family.
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
#91: Because the titles are so easy to make fun of.

(Don't get mad, I do like HP. I also like laughing at it, tho)

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

[ROFL] Those titles are hilarious!

90 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #90: The terror of the first day in a new school, amplified. [Angst] [Smile]

quote:
[Harry] kept his eyes fixed on the door. Any second now, Professor McGonagall would come back and lead him to his doom.

--just seconds before the Sorting (from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter seven, "The Sorting Hat")

[ April 16, 2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
#90: Because Harry will believe that Snape is a bad guy. (And we're still suspicious at times.)
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

#90--because despite the suspicions, Snape always turns out to be a good guy.
Teshi
Member # 5024

#90 And yet, we're still not sure; we're dying to know what exactly made that man switch sides, or if he did... and if he did, why he is trusted. Ah, such mystery.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FoolishTook
Member # 5358

- posted      Profile for FoolishTook   Email FoolishTook         Edit/Delete Post 
#90 Neville Longbottom

quote:

Neville backed away, his wand up, mouthing wordlessly. Snape was bearing down upon him, reaching inside his robes.

"R-r-riddikulus!" squeaked Neville.

There was a noise like a whip-crack. Snape stumbled. He was wearing a long, lace-trimmed dress and a towering hat topped with a moth-eaten vulture, and swinging a huge crimson handbag from his hand.

-From POA, Chapter 7, The Boggart in the Wardrobe

Posts: 407 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sartorius
Member # 7696

- posted      Profile for Sartorius   Email Sartorius         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Ah, such mystery
And such a sexy one.
Posts: 152 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Snape???? But, but, but...he's greasy! And mean! And nasty! I don't understand the sexiness. [Frown]

Now, Alan Rickman, yes - yummy. But Snape...Snape is still a weasel.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Thank you, Hansenj. I've been debating a fresh batch to coincide with the upcoming book.

#90: Because it's fun for both children and the childish!

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

#90 Giant Snakes the travel around in pipes.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reason #91: Weasley Sweaters!
I especially like that Fred and George are the enforcers of family togetherness, forcing Percy to wear his sweater. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

#90 Because i remember what i was when i was a young boy.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Percy's such a &$*%*!@. That's all I have to say.

Make that another number if you wish.

Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

89 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #89: Dumbledore and the Mirror of Erised. [Smile]

quote:
"What do you see when you look in the mirror?"

"I? I see myself holding a pair of thick, woolen socks."

Harry stared.

"One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books."

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter twelve, "The Mirror of Erised"

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

#89: It glorifies magic and witches, which really seems to tick off the fundies. Always a good side-benefit.
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
Because Sirius Black IS coming back! [Cry]
Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
#89: Weasley is our king!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

#89:
quote:
"Look, Scabbers probably had a fight with another rat or something! He's been in my family for ages, right --"

"Twelve years, in fact," said Lupin. "Didn't you ever wonder why he was living so long?"

"We -- we've been taking good care of him!" said Ron.

Ron is so adorable!
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

#89 Wizard Crackers. Why can't we get mice at Christmas time?
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Because Sirius Black IS coming back! ]
I second that thought, Beany!
[Cry]

*holds hands with the care bears* "I care! I care! I care!" (forgive me my weirdness)

[ April 18, 2005, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

88 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #88: Hagrid, world's best Care of Magical Creatures teacher! [Smile]

quote:
The baby dragon flopped onto the table. It wasn't exactly pretty; Harry thought it looked like a crumpled, black umbrella. It's spiny wings were huge compared to its skinny jet body, it had a long snout with wide nostrils, the stubs of horns and bulging, orange eyes.

It sneezed. A couple of sparks flew out of its snout.

"Isn't he beautiful?" Hagrid murmured. He reached out a hand to stroke the dragon's head. It snapped at his fingers, showing pointed fangs.

"Bless him, look, he knows his mommy!" said Hagrid.

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter fourteen, "Norbert the Norwegian Ridgeback"

Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
#88 and counting here on the east coast:

Because that horrible woman--whose name I have quite forgotten in revenge for what would be, in the rw, a shamelessly vile case of child abuse--is coming back....to get the punishment she deserves.

~Ele

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

87 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #87: Mandrakes...the only plant that goes through puberty. [Razz]

quote:
...and in March several of the Mandrakes threw a loud and raucous party in greenhouse three. This made Professor Sprout very happy.

"The moment they start trying to move into each other's pots, we'll know they're fully mature," she told Harry.

--from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter fourteen, "Cornelius Fudge"

hansenj
Member # 4034

86 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #86: Ron's dress robes [ROFL]

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

#86: Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... Fleur isn't as gorgeous as I imagined her... But rarely do things live up to imagination.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

Neither is Cedric, but I'm reserving judgement.

*whispers* The person who lives next door to me reminds me of Cedric. Every time I see him I get an urge to say "Hello Cedric!". Luckily, he's never read the books.

hansenj
Member # 4034

85 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #85: Gilderoy Lockhart, the poor guy. [Wink]

quote:
"Where's Lockhart?"

"Back there," said Ron..."He's in a bad way. Come and see."

...They walked all the way back to the mouth of the pipe. Gilderoy Lockhart was sitting there, humming placidly to himself.

"His memory's gone," said Ron. "The Memory Charm backfired. Hit him instead of us. Hasn't got a clue who he is, or where he is, or who we are. I told him to come and wait here. He's a danger to himself."

Lockhart peered good-naturedly up at them all.

"Hello," he said. "Odd sort of place, this, isn't it? Do you live here?"

--from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter seventeen, "The Heir of Slytherin"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.