FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » 100 Reasons to love Harry Potter (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 100 Reasons to love Harry Potter
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I getting old? Will someone please cut those boys' hair? It looks like they haven't had a haircut since before the third movie.

Reason to love Harry Potter: Thestrals.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
#85 - The Hogwarts School Song

Hogwarts, Hogwarts,
Hoggy, Warty, Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
Teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn till our brains all rot.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
84 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

(OK, so there's only 83, but today...or I mean, yesterday, was my last day in Provo for the summer, and I managed to forget completely about the countdown! So, I'll do one reason now, and another one tomorrow night when I get home to Colorado. [Smile] )

Reason #84: Oliver Wood...hot in the books and the first two movies. I think it's the Scottish accent. [Wink]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
#84 Harry Potter is as well drager with girl as me. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll second your reason #84 (about Oliver Wood [Wink] ) and raise you another.

#84 Harry Potter books are really thick. #4 or #5 are great for long drives and painful waiting periods as they completely take your mind off of what you're waiting for for many many hours. [Smile]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
#84: Luna Lovegood. I think it's funny how she always looks like she just happened to wander in to a place.
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

83 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

(OK, so I still missed midnight on board time, but it's only 11:30 here! [Smile] I'll really catch up tomorrow.)

Reason #83: Moaning Myrtle...so annoying, and yet so wonderful in her own right.

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

82 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #82: A world where goblins are bankers [Smile]

quote:
"Wizards have banks?"

"Just the one. Gringotts. Run by goblins."

Harry dropped the bit of sausage he was holding.

"Goblins?"

"Yeah--so yeh'd be mad ter try an' rob it, I'll tell yeh that. Never mess with goblins, Harry. Gringotts is the safest place in the world fer anything yeh want ter keep safe--'cept maybe Hogwarts."

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter five, "Diagon Alley"

hansenj
Member # 4034

81 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #81: Early Neville (his "brave stand" against the trio) [Smile]

quote:
"You can't go out," said Neville, "you'll be caught again. Gryffindor will be in even more trouble."

"You don't understand," said Harry, "this is important."

But Neville was clearly steeling himself to do something desperate.

"I won't let you do it," he said, hurrying to stand in front of the portrait hole. "I'll--I'll fight you!"

--from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter sixteen, "Through the Trapdoor"

unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason 81

The Half-Blood Prince Cover

[ April 25, 2005, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: unicornwhisperer ]

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

80 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #80: Argus Filch...disgusting and terrible, but Hogwarts wouldn't be complete without him! [Razz]

quote:
"He did it, he did it!" Filch spat, his pouchy face purpling. "You saw what he wrote on the wall! He found--in my office--he knows I'm a--I'm a--" Filch's face worked horribly. "He knows I'm a Squib!" he finished.

--from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter nine, "The Writing on the Wall"

hansenj
Member # 4034

79 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

(I was a little late with yesterday's reason, but Hatrack was down the first time I tried to post it.)

Reason #79: The Dueling Club

quote:
"Scared?" muttered Malfoy, so that Lockhart couldn't hear him.

"You wish," said Harry out of the corner of his mouth.

--from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, chapter eleven, "The Dueling Club"

hansenj
Member # 4034

78 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #78: Harry's recruitment to the Gryffindor Quidditch team by Professor McGonagall. [Smile]

quote:
DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.
It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.

--Professor M. McGonagall

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter ten, "Halloween"

hansenj
Member # 4034

77 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #77: First time abord the Hogwarts Express! [Smile]

quote:
"Sunshine, daisies, butter mellow,
Turn this stupid, fat rat yellow."

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter six, "The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters"

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

- posted      Profile for ProverbialSunrise   Email ProverbialSunrise         Edit/Delete Post 
#77 Honeydukes acid Slugs
Posts: 132 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

76 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #76: The Sorting Hat...it's got a mind of its own. [Smile]

Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
This is kinda ironic, but as I was reading this thread, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone came on tv.

Jesse

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 

Ron's purple dress.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

75 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #75: Harry's messy hair [Wink]

quote:
About once a week, Uncle Vernon looked over the top of his newspaper and shouted that Harry needed a haircut. Harry must have had more haircuts than the rest of the boys in his class put together, but it made no difference, his hair simply grew that way--all over the place.

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter two, "The Vanishing Glass"

Ele
Member # 708

- posted      Profile for Ele   Email Ele         Edit/Delete Post 
The title:

The Half-blood Prince?

Can't wait to find out who *that* is!

Posts: 745 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

74 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #74: Afternoon Tea with Hagrid [Smile]

quote:
Dear Harry,

I know you get Friday afternoons off, so would you like to come and have a cup of tea with me around three? I want to hear all about your first week. Send us an answer back with Hedwig.

Hagrid

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter eight, "The Potions Master"

hansenj
Member # 4034

73 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #73: Invisibility Cloaks...don't you sometimes wish you could be invisible? [Razz]

ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

Reason #73: The Marauder's Map insulting Snape. I love it. "And Mr. Moony wonders how a git like that ever became a professor"
hansenj
Member # 4034

[ROFL] That's a great one!
hansenj
Member # 4034

72 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #72: Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans [Evil]

quote:
"You want to be careful with those," Ron warned Harry. "When they say every flavor, they mean every flavor..."

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter six, "The Journey from Platform Nine and Three-Quarters"

Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
*Ahem*

Jennie, just because you are in CA with Paul is no reason for you to neglect your HP countdown. I mean honestly, who is more important to you? Harry (the correct answer [Big Grin] ) or Paul (the incorrect answer [Grumble] )? I love you, but I think you need to get your priorities straight here. [Wink] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
*bump*

We'll try this again... hansenj, get on the ball here! [Razz]

#58: Hedwig [Smile]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

Loony, loopy Lupin.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ProverbialSunrise
Member # 7771

#58 Wizard Baruffio who said the wrong words for a levitation spell and ended up with a Buffalo on his stomach.
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

- posted      Profile for unicornwhisperer   Email unicornwhisperer         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason #58: The Harry DVD Trilogy on DVD
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002TV2WO/km-20/ref%3Dnosim/104-4989169-6451929

Um... but is it cheaper than just buying all three DVDs?

Posts: 1417 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

- posted      Profile for not hansenj   Email not hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
In the continued absence of a hansenj...

57 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #57: Dumbledore's abundant wisdom

quote:
"The sorting hat placed you in Gryffindor. You know why that was. Think."

"It only put me in Gryffindor," said Harry in a defeated voice, "because I asked not to go in Slytherin...."

"Exactly," said Dumbledore, beaming once more. "Which makes you very different from Tom Riddle. It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."

Book 2, chapter 18, Dobby's Reward

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

'Cause flobberworms are the most boring creatures on earth.

not hansenj
Member # 8066

- posted      Profile for not hansenj   Email not hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
56 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #56: Ron's first telephone call

quote:
"Vernon Dursley speaking."

Harry, who happened to be in the room at the time, froze as he heard Ron's voice answer.

"HELLO? HELLO? CAN YOU HEAR ME? I--WANT--TO--TALK--TO--HARRY--POTTER!"

Ron was yelling so loudly that Uncle Vernon jumped and held the receiver a foot away from his ear, staring at it with an expression of mingled fury and alarm.

"WHO IS THIS?" he roared in the direction of the mouthpiece. "WHO ARE YOU?"

"RON--WEASELY!" Ron bellowed back, as though he and Uncle Vernon were speaking from opposite ends of a football field. "I'M--A-FRIEND--OF--HARRY'S--FROM--SCHOOL--"

Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban, chapter 1, "Owl Post"

Posts: 30 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Hahaha, I LOVE that scene!
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HesterGray
Member # 7384

- posted      Profile for HesterGray   Email HesterGray         Edit/Delete Post 
#56: Apparating. It's the greatest mode of transportation ever!
Posts: 486 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

55 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [Big Grin]

Reason #55: Fred and George Weasley, the early pranks

quote:
"Now, you two--this year, you behave yourselves. If I get one more owl telling me you've--you've blown up a toilet or--"

"Blown up a toilet? We've never blown up a toilet."

"Great idea though, thanks, Mom."

"Hurry up!" their mother said, and the three boys clambered onto the train. They leaned out of the window for her to kiss them good-bye, and their younger sister began to cry.

"Don't, Ginny, we'll send you loads of owls"

"We'll send you a Hogwarts toilet seat."

--from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, chapter six, "The Journey From Platform Nine and Three-Quarters"

hansenj
Member # 4034

Oh my gosh! You are so funny! Are you Emily and Amanda?

OK, first of all, I feel I must apologize for the fate of this thread. I went out of town fully intending to continue it while I was gone (I even packed two of my Harry Potter books!), but it just didn't happen. I was visiting my boyfriend before he left for Japan for the rest of the summer (internship). Anyway, I could have caught this thread up this week, but I was totally overwhelmed at the idea of doing it. A friend who reads my thread actually brought it to my attention just now, or I wouldn't have seen it at all.

Second of all, I love Hatrack.

[Big Grin]

That is all. [Smile]

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome back, hansenj. [Smile]

Reason number <mumble>:

Because it was the first series that I could share with my oldest daughter. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Welcome back, hansenj!! We missed you! Our HP fest was quite pathetic without you around to save it. [Smile]
not hansenj
Member # 8066

hansenj, we were just fighting the good fight, I mean, I was just fighting the good fight in your absence. Am I Emily and Amanda? Technically: No, I am singular. But I am one who was highly motivated by the other. I and or slash we lush you lots and lots, and welcome you back to your domain of internet friendship. Please be responsible. [Taunt]
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason #54:

Becuase its NOT Star Wars!

Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Darn tootin'!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
not hansenj
Member # 8066

54 Days until Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! [Big Grin]

Reason #54: Professor Trelawney's death omens

quote:
"I see," said Professor McGonagall, fixing Harry with her beady eyes. "Then you should know, Potter, that Sibyll Trelawney has predicted the death of one student a year since she arrived at this school. None of them has died yet. Seeing death omens is her favorite way of greeting a new class. If it were not for the fact that I never speak ill of my colleagues--"

Professor McGonagall broke off, and they saw that her nostrils had gone white.

--from Harry Potter and the Prizoner of Azkaban, chapter six, "Talons and Tea Leaves"

PS- hansenj, we are just filling in until you choose to jump back in. We're not trying to usurp your thread! [Wave]

PPS- I'm slightly distubed that the smiley only has one arm, but I'm okay with the fact that it's coming out of his head.

PPPS-I don't even know if PSs are kosher in online forums, but I do love them so! I also love this smiley: [Laugh] , just in case you wondered.

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
PPPS-I don't even know if PSs are kosher in online forums, but I do love them so!
Certainly, as long as you don't go hog wild with them.
not hansenj
Member # 8066

Hmmm . . . I have been known to go hog wild with just about everything I do, so maybe I will refrain from PSs for the moment. [Wink]
unicornwhisperer
Member # 294

Reason #49

The Goblet of Fire Trailer
http://www.gobletoffire.com

Does Cedric look a little villainous to anyone? Maybe he's just ticked that Harry was picked too...

0range7Penguin
Member # 7337

- posted      Profile for 0range7Penguin           Edit/Delete Post 
Reason #50
It brings people AWAY from anime, magna, and other odd Japanese cartoons.

Posts: 832 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers(for you non-book readers):
Unicorn: So he looks mean. Big deal. He'll be dead soon anyway.

Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Reason #48/16:55:32
The Muggle Countdown Clock

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Reason #48-- cool shirts [Cool]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.