FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How much per week is reasonable to spend on a girlfriend? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How much per week is reasonable to spend on a girlfriend?
scifibum
Member # 7625

- posted      Profile for scifibum   Email scifibum         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like a light switch. If I don't want to be plagued by male attention, I stop trying. When I do and put in the not-inconsiderable effort, I get all the attention I want.
Have you tried just being friendly and open when you want attention? Sorry that sounds snarky, but I have to wonder whether the light switch is in your demeanor and interactions as much as it's in your temporary shine.
Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
*gasp* I never thought of that!! [Razz]

I've been dating for fifteen years. I know what my own experiences have been.

Are you saying that the way a girl looks doesn't affect the amount of attention she gets? You can speak for your own experiences, but you cannot speak for mine.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

No, I'm saying that you indicated that you don't try to keep your appearance to the same degree when you aren't interested in attention. It seems *possible* that your level of interest is reflected in other ways.

Just frinstance. I don't suppose you go out of your way to smile at guys when you're not feeling interested in male attention. Do you start smiling before you hit the hair salon and put on the dress, is what I'm asking.

Posts: 4287 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

- posted      Profile for jebus202   Email jebus202         Edit/Delete Post 
I think anyone who says pretty girls don't get more attention is being naive. Equally anyone who says hot guys don't get more attention is also being naive. At least women have a way of faking being attractive.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Christine
Member # 8594

- posted      Profile for Christine   Email Christine         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see anything wrong with a woman working to make herself look nice. I personally don't do it with makeup, because I find that when I use makeup, it causes lasting damage to my skin. (And I don't care what anyone who is trying to sell me makeup says to the contrary.) But I do like to wear nice clothes and fix up my hair for my husband. I really should do it more often, but I'm at that stage where I mostly run around a baby and pre-schooler.

In my dating years, I was a pretty cheap date. I did most of my dating in college and the culture there was to be frugal and mostly do inexpensive activities. Looking back, I probably should have had higher standards, especially with one particular boyfriend who was frankly swimming in money and never saw fit to spend it on me.

My husband ended up spending a bit of money courting me, but that was largely because we were long distance for a while and plane tickets are expensive. He says it was a good investment.

Posts: 2392 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

scifibum, you'll have to accept my account of my life at face value. I know what my experiences have been, and treating me like I'm stupid isn't going to convince me otherwise.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure there are men who don't care what a woman is wearing, but I haven't met many of them.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

- posted      Profile for Tammy   Email Tammy         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually have an easier time interacting with people when I'm all "done up".

I feel like I can melt into the background easier, and go about my business in a very mysterious, incognito way, when I'm without makeup and wearing sweats and flip-flops.

Yes, I'm famous and shallow.

Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

When did I treat you like you were stupid? I'm asking a question.

Have you tried being deliberately outgoing and friendly without all the expense and effort you've said goes into looking hot? Was it a big flub?

(What you're saying makes sense if you want to pick up a date in some kind of singles scene, but I assume you occasionally date people who you have contact with in other contexts. Is that a false assumption?)

jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Originally posted by Kama:
I'm sure there are men who don't care what a woman is wearing, but I haven't met many of them.

It's not as if women are happy if men turn up looking like bums, though.
Posts: 3564 | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Asking me that question assumes that I am stupid and have never noticed the difference an attitude makes.

Yes, I have taken that into account. My account of my life still stands.

Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Synesthesia:
So what are my odds of getting a guy if I am an unconventional girl again?

Depends on your race, his race, your culture, his culture, your age, his age, your jobs, your geographical locations, your personal finances ... [Wink]
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

@katharina: OK. [Smile] Sorry the question was offensive. I obviously don't have a lot of insight into how some women develop their dating leads.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
"I'm sure there are men who don't care what a woman is wearing, but I haven't met many of them. "

Women are at LEAST as picky about what men wear as men are about what women wear. My experience is that they are much pickier.

Saying that a girl shouldn't have to pay for dinner because she pays to make herself look nice is to express complete naivete about how much money men spend to make themselves attractive to women.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

quote:
It's not as if women are happy if men turn up looking like bums, though.
of course.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Thanks. [Smile]

--

I know exactly how much my ex-boyfriends spent on their appearance: a haircut every two months. It's not even comparable - guys aren't expected to wear makeup, for one. Even at grocery store prices, that almost makes up the difference by itself.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
Just wondering. I'd like to find a girl that I don't have to spend more than $10 a week on (on average), but I feel that that's not realistic. [Razz]

1) Pay all your expenses and necessary bills.

2) Anything you have left over, whatever that may be, expect to spend it on your girlfriend.

And, man, wait 'til you get married. It's the same thing but without the semi-complex math.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ambyr
Member # 7616

- posted      Profile for ambyr           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll try for a straight answer. . . .

Can you date someone for $10 a week? Sure--it's just going to take more effort, just like entertaining -yourself- for $10 a week would. Instead of taking her out to dinner and the movies, figure out when they're doing free Shakespeare or movie screenings in a local park and pack a picnic. Find out when her favorite author is in town and go to a book reading together, then stop for ice cream afterward. Go hiking. Cook a meal for her and invite her over for dinner. In short: learn what she likes (that doesn't cost money) and do it. Show her you care by paying attention to her interests, rather than just by paying.

Posts: 650 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
From my perspective, the expectation to wear makeup is more likely to be your own or from your female peers... not from men you might end up marrying. Without exception, my friends, male and female, who are married, met when the woman was not wearing makeup. In most cases, she wore makeup during the courtship only to formal events. And the men I know all tell me they'd rather she didn't wear makeup, even to those.

My girlfriend of 18 months has not worn makeup once since I've known her. So that pattern is holding with me, too.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that TMG pays way more for his clothes than I do. He has considerably more money than I do. He also likes very expensive restaurants. He would have no problem paying for everything, but we have worked out a system so I feel comfortable and not like a hooker.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
And, man, wait 'til you get married. It's the same thing but without the semi-complex math.

It always gets confusing when one starts spending in amounts that include i.
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Originally posted by katharina:
Thanks. [Smile]

--

I know exactly how much my ex-boyfriends spent on their appearance: a haircut every two months. It's not even comparable - guys aren't expected to wear makeup, for one. Even at grocery store prices, that almost makes up the difference by itself.

Gel, wax, cologne, nice clothes, condoms. Not comparable to what women do, but not nothing either.
katharina
Member # 827

...I don't think I've dated anyone who wore any of the above, except for the clothes, which were never fancy.

Hm...maybe cologne. I think one wore cologne.

jebus202
Member # 2524

You need more metrosexual men, kat. Wanna go out sometime?
jebus202
Member # 2524

And also you should probably practice safer sex.
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing this thread makes me so grateful I am not in the dating scene anymore.
Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Sure, I'd love to. [Smile]

I'm not married. I don't have sex.

Still wanna go out? [Razz]

Tammy
Member # 4119

Oh, ooooh, yah, don't forget the cost of condoms.
Posts: 3771 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
You can get condoms for free at health centers. They have whole jars of them.

Though it's embarrassing to have them fly out of your pocket at the wrong time. Like on a train.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Goldner:
From my perspective, the expectation to wear makeup is more likely to be your own or from your female peers... not from men you might end up marrying. Without exception, my friends, male and female, who are married, met when the woman was not wearing makeup. In most cases, she wore makeup during the courtship only to formal events. And the men I know all tell me they'd rather she didn't wear makeup, even to those.

My girlfriend of 18 months has not worn makeup once since I've known her. So that pattern is holding with me, too.

FWIW, I've heard women make remarks about other women's makeup, but I've never heard a man remark on it. And I think my wife looks great without makeup and would be just as happy if she never wore it (but at least she uses it judiciously when she does use it).

But if people actually find that they get more or more favorable reactions from the opposite sex when they wear makeup, I guess it might reflect a different social circle (with its own set of priorities and rules - having never pursued or given extra attention to "hot" looking women, I'm seemingly outside that circle, however it's defined).

lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
I think getting "dolled up" makes you attractive to the wrong sort of men...

I am sorry that you have had to date for 15 years.

Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jebus202
Member # 2524

quote:
Sure, I'd love to. [Smile]

Still wanna go out? [Razz]

I'm gonna assume you also don't drink and conclude that we are completely incompatible. Best of luck though!
Tammy
Member # 4119

So, if she drank, had sex and was married, you'd date her?
katharina
Member # 827

I love my life, and considering that the quality of men I have met has gone up the older I get, I'm not sorry at all.

Not only are there worse things than being happily single, I think most things are worse. Just about everything else you can change - job, location, avocation - but being unhappily married has to be the lowest circle of hell.

But some people hate being by themselves, and some people would rather be in a relationship that can tolerate than look for one that they are happy with. Not saying that you are, but that being single isn't a disaster for everyone. Certainly most relationships I know of make me grateful I'm not married.

Considering I have met only a handful of men I thought I could stand long-term and it didn't work out, I definitely prefer the present option to being married to someone I don't want.

----

Jebus: I don't, and I think you're right. Best of luck for yourself. [Smile]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It always gets confusing when one starts spending in amounts that include i.
The math gets even harder when your employer starts paying you in imaginary bills.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

What do you hope to accomplish through dating? Is it something you want to do or something you think you have to do?

I want someone with whom I can be physically affectionate and talk about my concerns---and who wants the same things from me, of course. I don't see why either of those things requires continual outlays of money.
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tammy
Member # 4119

quote:
Originally posted by Omega M.:
quote:
Originally posted by Christine:

What do you hope to accomplish through dating? Is it something you want to do or something you think you have to do?

I want someone with whom I can be physically affectionate and talk about my concerns---and who wants the same things from me, of course. I don't see why either of those things requires continual outlays of money.
They don't, or at least they shouldn't.
Kama
Member # 3022

Since my mind cannot really accept that jebus is out of high school, the whole talk of dating, sex and drinking is highly disturbing.
jebus202
Member # 2524

That view doesn't hold well for the future I had imagined for us, Kama.
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband never spent much money on me, not when we were dating and not now that we are married. We mostly do things together that don't cost much money (hiking, biking, talking and such). I'm very happy with that. I'd much rather have him spend time with me than spend money on me.

I've never spent much time and money on grooming. I know I can go from looking OK to looking great with some effort, but I'd rather put my effort in to more interesting things. My husband actually prefers the way I look without makeup.

I'm sure I would have got more attention from guys back when I was single if I'd spent more time and money on how I looked. But I'd rather have one husband who loves the way I look naturally than have dated a hundred guys who liked what the beauticians could do with me.

If you spend a lot effort trying to be something you aren't in order to draw the attention of men or women, you are likely to end up with someone you don't really want to be with and who doesn't really want to be with you.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I think there are many ways to be happy, and one person's way doesn't fit everyone.

There are lots of things that I'd never find acceptable, but that doesn't mean that I pity those who do. I don't like dating gamers and I'd never marry a nonmember, but I don't think what is best for me is best for everyone.

Someone else's dating life is the last place on earth it is okay to be judgmental.

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you spend a lot effort trying to be something you aren't in order to draw the attention of men or women, you are likely to end up with someone you don't really want to be with and who doesn't really want to be with you.
I agree with that in general, but there's a difference between trying to show the best part of yourself (physically and otherwise) and trying to actually be someone else, and I don't think the dividing line can be drawn with a price tag but has to be determined by each person for themselves. Some women never spend much time r money on their grooming and some do; just as some men will never spend much money or time on grooming or dating. In that same vein some men may try to buy the love of the women they're courting where as other just wish to make them happy by giving their dates what they think will be enjoyable time. Again it's hard to draw the line with a dollar amount we just recognize that it's different for all people. If a guy doesn't want to spend much on dating than his prerogative, so long as he's willing to accept that some girls will think he's cheap and doesn't care about them. I find it hard to believe that there's a right and wrong to it, though there are certainly levels on either side of the issue (and for both genders) that when exceeded, make it rare to find someone who agrees with your ... level of determination so to speak.

I'm not sure how I feel about the argument that guys should pay because girls spend equivalent amounts on appearance, partially because I'm uncomfortable with the feeling of a date as a trade (which to me is what that feels like) but also because I wouldn't be comfortable having a girl pay even if I was sure I'd spent more than her. As an example, some guys buy very expensive cars to impress women. Seems pretty stupid to me but I don't think there's many women out there who really spend more on their appearance over the life time of a car than the cost of a fancy, new car. [Dont Know]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

:blinks: Am I reading this correctly that you are still a virgin at thirty-something? I entirely approve, you understand, it's just rather unusual and I'm wondering if I misunderstood you.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
Kat: If you expect guys to pay for dinner, I assume that you also expect them to drive you to the restaurant. If so, which do you think costs more, makeup or a really nice car every couple years.

You might think a guy isn't obligated to buy a car for you. But guys who like to date high-maintenance girls would probably feel as uncomfortable picking you up in an '85 Pinto as you would going out in sweats and a dirty T-shirt.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scifibum
Member # 7625

quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
quote:

:blinks: Am I reading this correctly that you are still a virgin at thirty-something? I entirely approve, you understand, it's just rather unusual and I'm wondering if I misunderstood you.
Wow, and I thought *I* was asking personal questions.
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

How is that unusual?
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Speed:
Kat: If you expect guys to pay for dinner, I assume that you also expect them to drive you to the restaurant.

I wouldn't assume that. She lives in one of the few parts of this country with fairly decent public transportation.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never lived in a place like that. Do people really take the bus on a date?
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:

I could list at least a dozen of my friends that fit that bill.

(I wouldn't. But I could.)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, guys claim not to care about looks, not want someone to get fixed up, spend money and effort on their looks, but those same guys always end up dating the girls who do. I've seen this happen at least two dozen times with guys I'm friends with, over 3 decades. So my opinion is that guys may not realize it at the time, but they're unaware of their own selection criteria.
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.