FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange 2005: (Wow - is that everyone?) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange 2005: (Wow - is that everyone?)
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
ketchupqueen wins round 3! I'll post the next one later this weekend. [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
It sounded like her voice. [Big Grin] Yay! I got one right!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

- posted      Profile for Corwin           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So, two gifts from France this year!
Make that three. I'm sending the email later today. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Yay! I'm glad to hear that, Corwin!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Choobak
Member # 7083

- posted      Profile for Choobak   Email Choobak         Edit/Delete Post 
me too !!!
Cool, Corwin !

What is the next event, Coccinelle ?

Posts: 1189 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Son of Shvester
Member # 8489

- posted      Profile for Son of Shvester   Email Son of Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm signed up! Gimme presents!
Posts: 50 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
One more week to sign up. [Smile] *looks in inbox for Eddie's e-mail*
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll play!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm signed up!!!

*excited*

Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm gonna be disappointed if I get a name and they haven't posted anything on the other thread.

It's not that I want to be told what to buy them. I think coming up with something and surprising them is the best part. But it will be very nice to know what not to get and what colors they prefer.

So don't forget to post there! [Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry Karl, I'm going to be a brat with that thread, trying to get everyone to post.

In a nice way [Wink]

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kettricken
Member # 8436

- posted      Profile for Kettricken   Email Kettricken         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just signed up, so I'll go and post on the other thread.
Posts: 169 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

New quote!
quote:
Favorite Hatrack Moment:
Everytime a new couple gets together, the initial "are they/aren't they," the hidden innuendo, a few people knowing but not telling, and then finally the "yes, it's true" thread/convo.

The answer will out of the following choices:
Goody Schrivener
Jay
Stray
kojabu
Strider & Leonide
Shan
Anna
Mrs M
Boon
Amira Tharani

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Hmm...I don't think the game is working as well this year, and that makes sense. It was invented to give me an excuse to bump it every day, but since it's been pinned, it doesn't need to be bumped.

What do y'all think about us just posting a quote from various Rackers without the guessing element? These are too good to not use, and so many are not specific that guessing is somewhat random, I know. What do you think?

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me.
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corwin
Member # 5705

I actually came in here and tried to guess, but the quote doesn't say anything to me... If the others are ok with what you've proposed here I'll go along. [Smile]
Posts: 4519 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amira tharani
Member # 182

- posted      Profile for amira tharani   Email amira tharani         Edit/Delete Post 
Works for me too.
Posts: 1550 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Fine with me. Mine would be too obvious, anyway. [Big Grin]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
I think we should unpin the thread now. If it's unpinned, we might be able to start guessing again because more people would open it if they saw it...don't you think?

When threads are stickied, I completely stop paying attention to them after a while. I don't even register what their titles are unless I make a point to read them and remember.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Because of Thanksgiving, I will not be near a computer for almost five days. I think it should stay pinned during that time.

But after, unpinning might be better? Maybe we can petition Papa Moose's opinion then. [Smile]

In the meantime, I'll try to post a new quote every morning, and if it looks like we have a surplus of quotes (and with almost 70 people playing, we will), then I'll start with every morning and every afternoon. At the end, for all the lazy people who mysteriously have something do other than follow this thread, I'll make a post with all the quotes. I love these things - it's very cool to see what people like.

So, to recap:

Leonide, writing for her and Strider:
quote:
Favorite Hatrack Moment:
Everytime a new couple gets together, the initial "are they/aren't they," the hidden innuendo, a few people knowing but not telling, and then finally the "yes, it's true" thread/convo.

katharina
Member # 827

Allegra:
quote:
My favorite hatrack moment is when I arrived at Kamacon. I started to walk
in and Tom D asked me who I was. I explained to him that I had never
actually been on hatrack, but that I was there with a friend. He gave me a
quick quiz over LoTR and I think Monty Python and the Holy Grail to prove
that I was in the right place. I knew then that these were people I would
enjoy spending time with.

Dragon
Member # 3670

- posted      Profile for Dragon   Email Dragon         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile] that's wicked cute.
Posts: 3420 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Just sent off my e-mail.

This will be my first year to participate. I wanted to do so before, but I couldn't.

Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Alternatively, guessing could be done "20 Questions" style, with no guesses acknowledged until 20 yes/no questions have been asked and answered. Then it wouldn't be quite so random.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it bigger than a breadbox? [Dont Know]
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Alternatively, guessing could be done "20 Questions" style, with no guesses acknowledged until 20 yes/no questions have been asked and answered.
That's not how you play 20 Questions.
katharina
Member # 827

From aiua:
quote:
Aaaaand my favorite Hatrack Moment happened while reading the
"reviewer comments unlikely to be used on book jackets" thread during
math class. I laughed out loud, something that never happens in math,
most people being asleep, and almost receivced a detention. However, I
convinced the teacher that what I was doing was, in fact, much more
interesting and useful than what he was trying to teach (the quadratic
equation for the sixth time) and we ended up reading them out to the
rest of the class.

Corwin
Member # 5705

Now THAT's a cool math teacher! [Big Grin] (And kids, don't try that in class...)
katharina
Member # 827

Over 70 people have signed up. (Yay! [Smile] ) Catherine and I will spend Wednesday evening sorting out all the matches, and we'll send out the e-mails that night.

BEFORE THEN:

Everyone MUST post in the "what I want" thread. There are several lurkers and many mysterious long-time posters. It is best if everyone posts before the e-mails are sent out so as soon as someone gets their giftee, they can see what he/she/they said.

[Smile]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Do we really have only one week to send our packages? That's starting to seem a little unreasonable to me, especially for those who plan on making something...
katharina
Member # 827

It has to be that soon - otherwise they may not get there before ... the end of December.

If someone wants something that can't be put together that fast, then maybe that can be a separate present for the individual. We are headed out on vacation and people are scattering, and I certainly would like everyone to get their presents before the end of December.

In other words, if it takes longer than a week to make, it may not be a good idea. I'm sorry. The token doesn't matter as much as what it represents and the joy of being part of the exchange, I think. [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

Amira Tharani:
quote:
I think my favourite Hatrack moment is Bob and Dana being all twitterpated over each other. I read it in an internet café in Manchester while I was travelling for work and it gave me warm fuzzies all day!

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I got fuzzies too! [Big Grin]
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

My worry is that I may not get to the store in time.

But I guess I'll do my best-- and there's always Priority Mail.

Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:
Alternatively, guessing could be done "20 Questions" style, with no guesses acknowledged until 20 yes/no questions have been asked and answered.
That's not how you play 20 Questions.
[Roll Eyes]

Way to miss the point.

[Razz]

(And as to my variation on the rules . . . have you ever played twenty questions with a large number of people, like say a forum? 20 questions gets used up pretty quickly when any shmuck can just come along and say "Is it Kat?" instead of asking a question that would substantially narrow the list down.)

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

kwsni:
quote:
Favorite hatrack moment: Having lunch with Mack and Frisco and Eljay and Jenny Gardener at Kamacon. Also, hanging out in the Burger King across the street with a bunch of people at Kamacon.

Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
No fair!! I want to register too, but my pay check is on Friday!!! What is AoD to do?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

[Confused]
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to register, but my first pay check won't be until Friday!!! What should I do?
Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Gifts are mailed out by December 6, no? So, you find out who you are buying for on Wednesday, get paid on Friday, and go shopping on the weekend for your (maximum $10) gift.

We don't understand the conflict.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to apologise in advance: whoever I get will most probably not be getting their present by Christmas.

We'll see how the Aust-US post goes, but based on past experience, it won't be there.

Hopefully it won't be too late though. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Dragon:
quote:
Um... Can't think of a specific moment, but I always love Dan's stories (looking foward to reading the Santarillion again!), and the Uruk-Haiku thread is another of my favorites.

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd best join!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

ElJay:
quote:
I don't think I have a favorite moment from the past year, but one of
my current favorite things about Hatrack right now is how we get
first hand accounts about things happening in other parts of the
world. quid's updates after the Tsunami made it more than a news
item, and the experiences of our gulf coast Hatrackers have made
hurricanes more real for me than they've ever been before. I worry,
of course, when I know a member of the board is in harm's way, and am
relieved when they check in, but from then on the words and
experiences of someone I "know" mean so much more to me than any
other way of finding out what's going on.

Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent the email late last night, I had forgotten to register. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

I'm so excited, that I've already begin shopping! And I don't even know for whom I'm shopping, yet. I have been thinking of cool local things from my area -- like a CD from a local Orthodox Jewish rock band, chocolates from the premium chocolate factory in my town, a unique find from one of the many antique stores in the area. Or a Chia Pet. Everyone loves Chia Pets. Don't they? No? Huh.
katharina
Member # 827

KarlEd:
quote:
Favorite Hatrack Moment: Seeing John VanPelt's artwork posted on one of the
craft threads. That has led to a great RL friendship and collaborative art
project (that is still in progress) [Smile]

katharina
Member # 827

K.T.:
quote:
Favorite hatrack moment...hmm.
Hatrack saved me after I read HP book 6 because no one
I knew had finished it and I was going crazy til I
came on and read what ya all had been chattering
about. I could then go on with life.

I must interject. I talked to K.T. on Sunday night after finishing Harry Potter. I don't have the internet at home, and I was going a little crazy with the need to talk about all that had happened in it. I called Katy, and she told me what Hatrack had been discussing. [Big Grin] It was great.
Corwin
Member # 5705

kat, I was wondering if you could post a list with all the people that are registered so that we can check if all the emails arrived.
katharina
Member # 827

Good idea. Here is the list:

aiua
Allegra
Altariel of Dorthonion
amira tharani
Anna
blacwolve
Boon
Boris
Breyerchic
Brinestone
Carrie
CaySedai
Choobak
chreesesroup/rav/raventh
Coccinelle
Corwin
ctm
Dan Raven
Derrell
Dr Strangelove
Dragon
Eisenoxyde
ElJay
erosomniac
Farmgirl
Frisco
Goody Schrivener
human_2.0
Icarus
Imogen
Jay
JemmyGrove
Jeni
jeniwren
Jennabean
Jonathan Howard
K.T.
KarlEd
katharina
Ketchup Princess
ketchupqueen
Kettricken
kojabu
kwnsi
littlemissattitude
ludosti
mackillian
maui babe
Mrs M
Narnia
Noemon
Papa Moose
plaid
Raia
Risuena
rivka
Ryuko
Samarkand
sarcasticmuppet
Shan
socal_chic
Son of Shvester
Stray
Strider & Leonide
Synesthesia
Tante Shvester
The Rabbit
tmservo
Tom Davidson
Valentine014
Xavier

Brinestone:
quote:
Favorite Hatrack moment:

Hm. Do I go with my real favorite or a close second that won't immediately give away my identity?

Maybe I'll just say it was the Eligible Bachelors thread. That's probably saying too much as it is. [Smile]

[ November 30, 2005, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.