FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Gift Exchange 2005: (Wow - is that everyone?) (Page 6)

This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Hatrack Gift Exchange 2005: (Wow - is that everyone?)
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by erosomniac:
Just so everyone's aware, Fed Ex & UPS do not consider Saturday or Sunday a shipping day - they don't deliver on either day.

OK -- change that estimated arrival date to "eventually".
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still knitting furiously on my gift. I'll finish it tonight, block it for 24 hours, then mail it Saturday morning. Katie/Coccinelle, as soon as this posts I'm emailing with a question.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
Shopping is done. Probably won't get it into the mail until tomorrow (Friday), though. It's "Nutcracker" week, so I've been in rehearsals a LOT. But, there's a post office within walking distance of the theatre, so I'll likely go mail it between the school performance and the evening performance.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Risuena:
quote:
I have no idea what my favorite Hatrack moment is. I think maybe when a bunch of DC area jatraqueros and I meet TomD at the Mall and then later piled seven of us into KarlEd's very, very small car to go find dinner adn much absurdity and hilarity ensued.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! It's not that small! [Grumble]

[Smile]

Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
It is when you put that many people in it [Razz]
Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Should we start a "December Gift Exchange Thank You" thread, since people should be getting gifts soon?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valentine014
Member # 5981

- posted      Profile for Valentine014           Edit/Delete Post 
Both Xavier and I mailed our gifts today!
Posts: 2064 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Anna already has, kq.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I got wind of my persons favorite chocolate so I think I will include that. I am a bit short on money at the moment because the check that I was supposed to get for the concert last weekend was not written out due to a computer error. Which is unfortunate concidering I have a balance of under 7 dollars in my account. I should get the check tomorrow or on monday. I will buy the gift then and send it off immediately. It should get there by the end of next week.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
We need to get it mailed by the 10th right? Does anyone know if the post office is open on Saturday mornings?
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anna already has, kq.
Really? *goes off to look*
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Does anyone know if the post office is open on Saturday mornings?
Most are, and if not, you can use the Automated Postal System for most things. Most post offices allow access to them 24/7. (Just be aware that you can't mail really huge boxes and the machines don't take cash.)
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

What's it called, ElJay? Can we have a link?
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Secret Santa, or something like that, KQ.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Thanks! Here it is.
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Most are, and if not, you can use the Automated Postal System for most things. Most post offices allow access to them 24/7. (Just be aware that you can't mail really huge boxes and the machines don't take cash.)
It's also quite dishonest of them, but the automated postal machines here charge you a higher rate than the tellers do. I got a quote of $12.30 from the machine for a box I wanted to send Priority Mail - the teller said it was $7.45. Apparently you pay for convenience...or at least, you do in Seattle :-\.
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I've never tried to mail from the machine, but stamps in them here are 50 cents each.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Wow, here it's the same rate whether you use the machine or talk to a person. Stamps are also the same price in the machine. And you can also do it online and have it picked up, BTW, although I think that has a small surcharge.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(We almost always use the machine. No line at most times, no hassle with getting in the doors before they close, we can take stuff at 3 in the morning if we want-- although our local one, because of vandalism, has started closing the doors at 10 pm, despite it being Christmas mailing season. So we have to drive an extra 7 minutes to get to the next one.)
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
I mailed mine today!
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Wow, I think our automated machines may charge the same on packages, but because I want to have "fragile" stamped on most things, because I'm usually shipping china horses, I always go to a person. But I know the stamps are more, because they just use the same rate as the stamps being more in the old coin machines.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

breyerchic, you can write "Fragile" on your own packages, or even get a stamp, and have the postal worker come pick them up. Or just use the machine to pay postage if there's a long line, write "fragile" on it, and skip the line and drop it at the counter-- I've done that before, and they don't usually have a problem with it. [Smile]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

The scary college kids would have a problem with that at our post office (the ones who's mom's send them 20 ton boxes of cookies every week, and get really upset if someone "cuts" to go to the passport window.
Coccinelle
Member # 5832

- posted      Profile for Coccinelle   Email Coccinelle         Edit/Delete Post 
I finally have everything for my gift! I had so much fun picking this out. Now I just need to find a box. [Smile]
Posts: 862 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
arg. I got NO shopping done today, because I had to fight with my homework.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
shopping will take place tomorrow, along with buying my christmas tree!
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Signed, sealed, and mailed today.

[Smile]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Emma did some of her shopping today. She just has one more thing to pick out and something to make, then it will go in the mail. [Smile]
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine shipped today! Aiua, I ordered it from the internet, and I'm pretty sure it'll just be in the packing and not wrapped up, just so you know. I hope you like it. [Smile]
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Ummm... did you just give away who your giftee is? [Eek!]
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine sent today.

The same warning with customs slips applies to my person.

Also, I bought an envelope with a big picture of my city and the river and black swans on it, which the post office lady promptly covered up with all the stickers that have to go on an international parcel.

So when you get it, oh giftee, look around the stickers. It's pretty, I promise!

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
If I can get through the rest of this week alive, I can do my shopping this weekend. Right now I'm going out of my mind, and won't be able to do it before then. I've spent a good chunk of every day crying from stress -- sorry giftee, it will have to wait a few more days.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
*hugs*
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Raia:
If I can get through the rest of this week alive, I can do my shopping this weekend. Right now I'm going out of my mind, and won't be able to do it before then. I've spent a good chunk of every day crying from stress -- sorry giftee, it will have to wait a few more days.

<-- Lo stesso. Mi scusi.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

I have all the elements for my giftee, and I plan on packing it this morning and mailing it during lunch. Yay!
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ctm
Member # 6525

- posted      Profile for ctm   Email ctm         Edit/Delete Post 
Mailed mine this morning!
Posts: 239 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine won't get mailed until Saturday because I realized that I couldn't order part of it online--they accept mail orders only. Rather than do that, I'll just go give them money in person and mail it myself. But since they're in Provo, that will have to wait until Saturday.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Brown paper packages tied up in strings, these are a few of my favorite things!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
Shopping done, package to be sent tomorrow!
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Mine is mailed. [Smile]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
So the Dec. 10th date -- that's like the $10 thing, right? A guideline as opposed to a rule?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Well...it honestly depends on who you have. If you have an international or a college student, then it's much more firm. It's part of keeping the cost to play down, because faster mail is more expensive and we don't want to set things up where it becomes burdensome for anyone.

I still really like the Dec. 10 deadline. That way, everyone gets them about the same time, and it's fun to share in the stories and dish. It's no fun being the last person to get a present and want to share and everyone else is bored and has already moved on. Also, there was one person who never got a present last year, and since are 50% more people playing this year, an early mail date means we can pinpoint possible slipping-through-cracks incidents.

But for a concrete, revealing answer, we start sending "You haven't confirmed yet. Get thee to a post office." e-mails next Tuesday.

[ December 09, 2005, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine just got mailed.

Dear giftee, you'll be looking for a green box that has a Swiss Colony label on it and a return address in Arizona. The gift isn't from Swiss Colony. Sorry. [Frown]

Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Wink] (EDIT : that was for Pop.)
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

quote:
Originally posted by Derrell:

Dear giftee, you'll be looking for a green box that has a Swiss Colony label on it and a return address in Arizona. The gift isn't from Swiss Colony. Sorry.

No apologies necessary! I didn't want anything from the Swiss Colony anyway.

As an aside, I hadn't realized that the Swiss were such colonizers. Exactly what were some of their colonies? Did they impose the force of their will upon the natives with those nifty Army Knives?

...they came in big ships. And they had many wonders. Pale skin. Eyes the color of the sky. And these little pocket knives that unfolded to reveal tweezers and corkscrews. We were powerless to oppose them...

aiua
Member # 7825

- posted      Profile for aiua   Email aiua         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, good! I thought I was really late. -sigh-
Posts: 1215 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
Tante you sound like my uncle. One year for our Christmas secret santa, he put his name on every slip of paper. My family plays by the rules-- you don't tell anyone who you have! So, Christmas morning rolls around, and what do we have? Twelve presents... ALL FOR UNCLE TOM!!

Thankfully you are not my giftee so I know that you aren't getting 50+ presents all sent to you [Wink]

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
OH, and I forgot...PRESENT HAS BEEN SENT! [Smile]
Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

My present has been sent.
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.