FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't get it... (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: I don't get it...
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Low phat cheese = good
cheese with ketchup = very good
cheese with ketchup with bread = really good
cheese with ketchup with bread AND some kind of filler such as meat = very reallly good.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been eating either string chees or cheddar cheese for breakfast every morning recently.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

So maybe the question is on this forum, who has more power? How?

Katie, it depresses me that you'd ask that question, because it indicates to me that you've entirely missed the point.

-------

quote:

You're explaining that you really didn't mean to say what you did, but your pleas are falling on quite a few ears that just aren't sympathetic to you anymore.

Two points:
1) The handful of people who aren't sympathetic to me on this thread are people who have never been particularly sympathetic to me. What's sad is that you perceive some kind of "power shift" as permission to dig in, which means that you -- like Katie, as I comment above -- have completely missed the point.

2) I have tried my hardest to avoid saying that I didn't really mean to say what I did. I've even specifically said that I was trying to avoid it. Yes, I believe what I said was taken in a more hostile way than it was meant; moreover, I think that interpretation was biased more than a little by the erroneous belief that I'm motivated by some kind of twisted fan-love. But I have said -- and I'll say it again, since it appears that I have to repeat each point at least three times on this thread to make it understood -- that I set the wrong tone with my original post, and that I am deeply sorry for offending him. OSC was right to be upset, and I was in the wrong for not having approached this issue with more tact and sensitivity.

I don't know how to say this more clearly. I like to think that my behavior in this thread serves as a demonstration of my sincerity -- but that, too, can be misinterpreted several ways if you're so determined. So take that as you will.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like most potato chips either - too dry. I like Pringles Sour Cream and Onion, but only if I lick all the powder off first. This has the added benefit of making the chip nice and soggy. [Smile]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
Weren't we talking about cheese?
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

You know that pringles are made from mashed potatos right? It's actually a much less wasteful process than chips made from whole potato slices.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
Being a good Wisconsin girl I just have to say...

None of those things is cheese!

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Speaking of cheese, you can get the same cheese powder that goes on Kraft MacN cheese in cannister form like their parmesan cheese comes in. It's great for popcorn.
Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, potato chip production is wasteful? It never occurred to me to wonder how chips and pringles are made. How are the doritos and fritos made?

And how did Pringles come up with that weird shape?

Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Crunchy Cheetohs, not the puffy ones.
And Cheez Whiz isn't too bad, but nothing beats a slice of real cheese.

Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Not sure about fritos, but doritos are rolled cornmeal based product (not real cornmeal at this point because it's processed food) stamped and then baked.

Fritos have a lighter texture so I think they add something to get them to rise and curl.

AJ

katharina
Member # 827

quote:
Katie, it depresses me that you'd ask that question, because it indicates to me that you've entirely missed the point.
That was a side note. I'm being lazy here and not trying to get to the bottom of it because (1) you are both adults, and can settle things yourself. It being conducted in public means I get to be peanut gallery. I also didn't think either of y'all were paying attention to me.

I have this theory that our right to judge and opine is directly related to how much time and care we've invested into a project or person. You put more time and care and yourself into Hatrack (I know you've been making substantial and respectful posts lately, deliberately), and OSC has put a great deal more time and care into the site under discussion. I think it was rude to commment on it precisely because you weren't invested in it. It doesn't matter your qualifications - unless you are asked for your opinion or invested in it, you don't get a vote. Same for the forum. Uncle Orson started it and he pays for it, but in this great equalizer of a medium, time and attention are what matter.

And, (2) power dynamics are inherently fascinating to me. If you are holding a hammer...

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
The best potatoe chips in the world are the vinegar-flavoured ones. Period.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I also didn't think either of y'all were paying attention to me.

You should know better. I always pay attention to you.

But I think your emotional investment criteria are good ones. I'll keep 'em in mind -- which, since I'm a born critic, might make me more popular in a lot of circles. *grin*

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

just vinegar, or vinegar with sea salt?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna:
The best potatoe chips in the world are the vinegar-flavoured ones. Period.

*pat pat*

You've lived a sheltered life my friend. [Razz]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

Aw, man. That made me melt.
Anna
Member # 2582

Vinegar. I tasted the best ones in Australia. And you can't find very good ones in France, unfortunately.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Nacho Cheese Warmer
Concession Equipment on sale. Free Shipping on all orders!

Anna
Member # 2582

BOH, which are the best ones you tasted?
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm teasing about the vinegar of course. That is a tasty flavor. My favorites are prawn, sour cream and onion, and parmesan and garlic. [Smile]
Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Prawn??
Anna
Member # 2582

The sour cream and onion ones are good enough. But I still prefer vinegar.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
I personally have an unholy lust for kettle fried chips. In the south, that means Zapp's. I have no idea what kettle fried means, but it makes them extra delicious.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

They fry it in a kettle?
Americans are mad. [Wink]

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I think this thread has been effectavely nutured.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I think it's a vat of oil that it's dipped in. Kettle just sounds better [Wink]

AJ

Anna
Member # 2582

"Vat of oil" potatoe chips sure doesn't sound very good.
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
You should taste them though.

What's a heart attack feel like?

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

I should print this on a T-Shirt.
Anna
Member # 2582

My sentence, not EI's one.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have one thing to say: Sour Cream and Cheddar Ruffles.

That is all.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Emmental fritos.
katharina
Member # 827

*waiting for the oil-dipped Frisco joke*
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

quote:
Second.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I actually like the idea of a T-shirt printed with the line "I should print this on a T-shirt."
Anna
Member # 2582

Wow, TomD, that's an idea. If you design it and put it on cafepress (and on a girly T-Shirt [Wink] ) I'll probably buy it.
Anna
Member # 2582

Or even better : "You should print this on a T-shirt".
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:

That is all.

They'll do in a pinch if salt and vinegar aren't available.
Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
If I were offered sour cream and cheddar chips and salt and vinegar chips, and had to choose just one, I'd be in deep trouble.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

If only Annie wasn't on her mission I would ask her to do it.
EDIT : design the T-shirt, that is, not offer me chips.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Why not both?
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
Man. I HATE it when threads get deleted. Locking I can understand, but deleted?

This whole huge mess has happened while I was away that will be effecting this community for who knows how long, and I have *no* idea what actually happened.

*grumbles*

Edit: Nevermind. I've been informed that it wasn't deleted. See how competely in the dark I am? [Razz]

Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*waiting for the oil-dipped Frisco joke*
I thought he was now officially a Crisco'd Frisco?
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Father Time
Member # 7985

- posted      Profile for Father Time   Email Father Time         Edit/Delete Post 
PArdon me, do you have any cheese at all?

T-Shirt: "This space available"

Posts: 56 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
I know Tom is getting all the love, but just to be on the safe side, I apologize if my post in the deleted thread was rude, OSC. I'm sorry if it hurt your feelings.
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
This company called Miss Vicky's makes jalepeno chips. They extremely good. Salt and pepper chips are good too.
Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Veggie chips are worse than crack, I swear, they're so delectable. They're certainly more expensive per lb. [Grumble]
Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got to agree with Storm on that one. Those things should come with a 12-step program flyer inside each bag.
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

Or with a free coupon for your local gym club.
(sorry, that was just to have post number 200 [Smile] )

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.