FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I don't get it... (Page 0)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: I don't get it...
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the salt and the chocolate together.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
As do I.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm glad this thread seems to have bounced fluffy, but can I just say that I am extremely excited about this new magazine?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Treason:
White chocolate shouldn't even qualify as chocolate. [Grumble]

Someone named Treason WOULD make ridiculous statements like that. [Razz]

White chocolate is simply chocolate that has been purified of its sins and ascended to a higher plane. O:)

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
White chocolate is fine. But DARK chocolate...

I've just discovered dark chocolate M&Ms. I am a happy woman.

Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I like chocolate pudding with plain potato chips crumbled up into it. Delicious!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you like that all the time, or just when you're pregnant? [Wink]

I don't remember if anyone's mentioned them yet, but my favorite salty snack is Tostitos gold chips....mmm!

Chocolate-covered pretzels are also divine. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[Eek!]

I'm definitely going to the store today.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Do you like that all the time, or just when you're pregnant?
All the time. I've been eating it since I was about 16.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I wise and wonderful friend, from Hatrack actually, told me that dark chocolate is high in iron [Smile]
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm definitely going to the store today.

To buy some for me ?
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
Dark chocolate M&Ms are wonderful. Too bad they're so hard to find around here. [Frown]
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with many chocolate covered pretzels is that the chocolate that covers them often isn't of very good quality.

The solution is to dip pretzels in Nutella. This way one can also control the chocoalate-to-pretzel ratio.

What I have yet to do, however, is to find some really good peanut butter-filled pretzel nuggets to dip in Nutella.

Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Rivka, chocolate is supposed to be sinful, which is why dark chocolate is the best kind. I like mine about 70% sinful.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Nutella has hazelnuts.

I'm allergic to hazelnuts. [Frown]

Megan, the solution to your problem is to buy them in bulk when you find them and store them in the freezer.

According to the M&Ms website, they're back for a limited time-- through early November-- and are available at Kroger, Target, and Evil Store of Evilness-- excuse me, Wal-Mart. Or, you can shop the M&M store online.

Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to buy my own choclate and pretzels, melt the choclate and dip the pretzels. Then put 'em on waxed paper until it dries.

That way, you can control the quality and thickness of the chocolate. MMMMMmmmmm

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

See, now I'm going to have to go out and buy some chocolate, melt it, and coat some Ruffles in it (I like Lays, but I doubt they'd hold up to chocolate-coating.)
Olivet
Member # 1104

All you need is nice double-boiler, some waxed paper, and a fork. [Wink]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

No, I need chocolate and potato chips.

I've dipped strawberries and pretzels before, it wouldn't be hard. I just don't have the raw materials.

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Double boiler? [ROFL] Your microwave broken? [Wink]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Aww. No chips or Choc? I'd buy you some if I was there... [Frown]
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I have a Hershey's bar in the freezer.

I go through chocolate rather fast when I'm pregnant.

Don't even talk about chips, if they come in the house they're gone within 36 hours at the very most.

Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Another fine thread derailment you've gotten us into!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Zalmoxis, you should write to the Nutella people and suggest that! I'd totally buy it. [Big Grin]

*drools at the thought of Nutella-covered pretzels*

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Also good for the salt/sweet tooth...

Slightly melted ice cream (esp vanilla) on tortilla chips (like the ice cream is a dip).

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

I've done that! I like it with pecan praline ice cream, though.
Megan
Member # 5290

- posted      Profile for Megan           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Slightly melted ice cream (esp vanilla) on tortilla chips (like the ice cream is a dip).
This, I could do. It sounds vaguely sopapilla-ish.
Posts: 4077 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Valrhona chocolate is the best-and if we take "salty" to mean "has salt in it" then chocolate totally applies!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
Dark chocolate is the best, the more bitter the better. 80% dark is great!

I don't like chocolate covered salty things because I don't like the mixing of flavors. It's just wrong!

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Treason
Member # 7587

- posted      Profile for Treason   Email Treason         Edit/Delete Post 
OOh, I love popcorn with chocolate! When we go to the movies I buy popcorn and snowcaps then dump the snowcaps in the popcorn bag. Yum!
Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

Another good salt/sweet (with a seasonal theme)...

peanuts and candy corn mixed together.

mimsies
Member # 7418

- posted      Profile for mimsies   Email mimsies         Edit/Delete Post 
I have always liked popcorn with jr mints, I also like Kix (cereal) with jr mints
Posts: 772 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

- posted      Profile for odouls268   Email odouls268         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But there is a problem with Mr. Card complaining about this, because you need to be willing to take what you dish out, or else stop dishing out what you wouldn't want to take. OSC writes articles in published papers and "reviews everything" on his website, and in doing so severely criticizes a whole array of people, even in areas that he is not really an expert.
I gotta be honest, I've read pretty much all of OSC's articles, and I don't think I ever recall him referring to the Rhino Times as "Eye-Crushingly ugly" right there in their own newspaper.

"Mister, there's two kinds of dumb: A guy that takes of his clothes and rolls naked in the snow, and a guy that does the same thing in my living room. The first one don't matter, but the second one you're kinda forced to deal with. " -Hoosiers

I don't run down to SEAL beach and tell them that those ancient kapoks make them look stupid or that spitting in their face masks before putting them on is nasty, because i very well might have no idea why they do those things.

I have personally witnessed occasion after occasion when OSC has taken far more than he's ever "dished out" from sources at whom he'd never "dished out" anything, and handled it with grace and a laugh (including from odouls, who was quite a @*&%!! at 16, and if any better, is only slightly better now, years later). If Mt. OSC erupts, it's because there has been a lot of repeated seismic events that came together to cause it. And not neccessarily all of those events were recorded and made public, but they are there nonetheless.

But really, what would I know? It's an area in which I'm not an "expert". I just consider him a friend, and I KNOW that he doesn't go off shooting at ghost turds.

[ October 14, 2005, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: odouls268 ]

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a whip.

I can see you've already found the dead horse.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
But really, what would I know? It's an area in which I'm not an "expert".
When I re-read this, it read more bitingly sarcastic than I meant it. To me, anyway. I don't retract it, but for the record, there is no bile contained herein [Smile] Maybe a smilie in the original would've helped. Oh well.

"...and that insufferable Dog. Oh, you're right here aren't you? Oh well, I stand by it." -Stewie Griffin

Posts: 2532 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
odouls268
Member # 2145

quote:
Here's a whip.

I can see you've already found the dead horse

Thanks Donkey. Uncle Dave doesn't get access to computers particularly regularly, but somehow that doesn't repress my opinion generator.

::Takes whip::
::Goes off to find the "Who should play Ender in the movie" thread::

odouls268
Member # 2145

And while we're at it, I think whoever the kid was that did the voice of Cota from "Brother Bear" should play Ender.
[Smile]

::Braces for flame-fest:: [Angst]

JohnHansen
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for JohnHansen           Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I am strongly of the opinion that Tom's following here is wholely without merit. Throughout all my many years of reading and occasionally posting on these forums I have consistently seen in Tom a vein running deeply through his core so full of ego and antagonism that if it were gold he could mine it for centuries and it would never peter out.

John Hansen

Posts: 398 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, getting back on topic here--plain potato chips are best. Anyone on Hatrack live in the Utz region? Utz plain potato chips are really the best. (OK, compared to Lays or other similar brands--they aren't kettle chips or anything like that, but if you are looking for a basic old unfancy potato chip Utz is the best--less greasy/salty than many of the big brands.)

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, I think Utz are made in Pennsylvania and they're available in the mid-Atlantic region. Since I no longer live there, I don't know if they still run the same ads, but they used to have a really funny radio ad campaign where they would take samples of their products to, say, San Antonio and interview people who tried them and then laugh and say "Sorry! You can't buy them here!"

As for pretzels--the only way they are enoyable is when covered in chocolate or mixed in some kind of snack mix.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
John, you make me very sad. Was that your intent? If not, what was your intent? If you'd rather answer through email, to avoid intruding on the potato chip discussions, I'm okay with that.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

Wow. John... I'm sorry, but that kind of statement only reflects badly on you. I mean, not that I have not been so mad at Tom sometimes that I could spit, but... Wow. That doesn't sound like you at all.

You know, sliced pita with a nice hummus dip sounds so good right now...

Treason
Member # 7587

Yes but pita and hummus is good for you!

I thought we were talking about salty, chocolatey, bad for us foods!
Focus, people!

edit: typo

Posts: 870 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nutella has hazelnuts.

I'm allergic to hazelnuts.

kq, I don't know if it's available in the US, but last time I was in Europe ('00) there were serveral different types of Nutella available -- so besides hazelnuts, I definitely remember there being an almond variety.

(Hmm. But, depending on how allergic to hazelnuts you are... the almond variety would probably be processed using the same equipment as the hazelnut variety, and there could be trace contamination...)

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Whatever happened to white chocolate covered pretzels ...

They appeared for one summer and then vanished?

(Salty, chocolately and high glycemic index ... Treason will be proud!)

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

You can make the white-chocolate covered pretzels, too.
Treason
Member # 7587

I am proud of the pretzel and chocolate idea but as I have stated before:

White "chocolate" is not chocolate!!

/vomit smiley

[Big Grin]

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That doesn't sound like you at all.
Actually, it sounds exactly like him.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Icky, please don't rag on John. I know you never got a chance to see him around in the old days, but believe me, he's a good guy. I'm sorry that being here is no longer enjoyable for him; I remember him very fondly, and still hope that someday he'll choose to invest in this place again.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
Is chocolate made from vegetable fat not chocolate either ....

/pines after Cadbury's Chocolate

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goo Boy
Member # 7752

- posted      Profile for Goo Boy   Email Goo Boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see him in the "A long long time ago!" old days, but he was around when I joined. But yeah, I know many people remember him fondly from before that time.

But anyway . . . I won't say anymore. I didn't want to say as much as I did. It violates a resolution I had made to myself. [Frown]

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.