FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Letter from Grandma (An Epilogue of Sorts) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Letter from Grandma (An Epilogue of Sorts)
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You should have 3 or 7 children which are the best numbers, before you are middle-aged and not young like the Bible says .
Is the numbers part in the Bible? 3 or 7? Or is it just weird superstition?

You know how God feels about superstition, Mamaw. [No No]

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
From my understanding of Psalm 127, it says that you should have children in your youth:

quote:
3 Sons are a heritage from the LORD ,
children a reward from him.
4 Like arrows in the hands of a warrior
are sons born in one's youth.
5 Blessed is the man
whose quiver is full of them.
They will not be put to shame
when they contend with their enemies in the gate.

And Genisis 3:19 does not mention anything of the sort:

quote:
19 By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return."

However, three verses before that, it says two of the three things:

quote:
16 To the woman he said,

"I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
with pain you will give birth to children.
Your desire will be for your husband,
and he will rule over you."

I see no mention of monthly fertility.

I haven't been following your letters...aside from the obvious, is your grandmother "all right"?

Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beverly
Member # 6246

- posted      Profile for beverly   Email beverly         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you don't take her letters too seriously and can just laugh at them. They are entertaining. Telling you how many kids to have? Man, that is just going too far. And the monthly fertility--dunno where that came from. She scatters "wisdom" and "advice" like candy.
Posts: 7050 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
So it is Stephen or Steven? She sure doesn't seem to know much about your SO, does she?

Of course, I can certainly understand if you two would never want to have to actually talk to her in person, based on these letters.

The # of kids thing did crack me up -- I've never heard that before.

Hugs to you AJ -- you're a strong person and I know you won't let her words get to you. Just follow your own path.

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
AJ,

I think your poor grandma just makes a lot of typos. For instance:

"Can you quit your job now & get married there in a pastor’s study"

really meant:

"Can you quit your job and get married in a POSTER'S study..."

So, you and Steve should get married here on Hatrack. It is certainly a poster's study. It is also a study of posters.

Liz

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HRE
Member # 6263

- posted      Profile for HRE   Email HRE         Edit/Delete Post 
And, in the lack of a minister, I am legally allowed to marry you. Not that kind of marry...you know what I mean.
Posts: 515 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the best part is the contrast between the "have lots of kids" and that women being able to get pregnant every month is a curse.

Um . . .

I guess as someone with three kids, I should be thrilled that it's one of the "best numbers." [Roll Eyes]

And do I have this right? It's good for a woman to go to college (like your cousin's fiancé) but not to have a job (as only the cousin having one is mentioned, and she thinks you should quit yours (I'm completely mystified on the reasoning there))?

As usual, bizarre. And fascinating, rather like a car wreck.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
rivka, you read my mind!
(((AJ)))

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to figure out what is going to happen if the fiancee starts working. I'm assuming they think she will quit as soon as she gets pregnant. I have no idea how quickly they expect her to start popping out babies.

The thought that came to my mind when I heard the story about the proposal meal was "how quaint".

The raw bribery of the vacation house for our honeymoon was interesting. I guess it has never dawned on her that people might NOT want to honeymoon in Ocean City, Maryland.

Oh the 3 and seven thing. Three for the Trinity and 7 for completion like the days of creation.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aka
Member # 139

- posted      Profile for aka   Email aka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and on the bribery side, don't forget the mention of yet ANOTHER honkin' big diamond for a VIRTUOUS WOMAN! <laughs>

Just see what you're missing, AJ!

Who could possibly prefer a job to the curse of having seven children and obeying your husband and ... what was our other curse again? Oh, yeah, getting pregnant every month. (Does she mean having periods, you think?)

I just heard about a book written by an Algerian Army officer, using the pen name of a woman, about some people in Afghanistan. He said he's astonished that U.S. liberals are against the war in Iraq, since the people we are fighting (he means the extreme Islamists) are against everything we in America hold dear. He said that the most horrible societies in the world, those which are the worst to live under, are those which treat women badly. Like Afghanistan. And your grandma's. You are free, AJ. Grandma tried to cast those chains around you but you are free.

[ March 14, 2004, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: aka ]

Posts: 5509 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, of course, ak! That must be what she meant. She didn't mean a curse, she meant The Curse! *snickers*
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you quit your job yet, AJ?

((((Banna))))

Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna, I'm serious. Your grandmother sounds slightly screwy, but honestly well-intentioned.

From her point of view, since she does not understand that you are not operating from the same premises she is, your behavior is irrational. Her behavior is irrational to most of Hatrack, because most of Hatrack is not operating on her assumptions.

If the letters really bother you, I'm serious, TELL HER. Tell her you love her, you appreciate the love, but you are not operating on the same premises and you would like to be a member of the family as yourself and not as someone she imagines. It will be hard, but it will be quick, and I really think things will be better after. I don't think she has a bad heart, and she's a grandmother. I promise, she'd rather have part of you than none at all, and I really think if you tell her what's going on, they'll respect that.

It worked with mine. My grandmother was driving me crazy, and I finally told her how much I needed my grandparents love but was simply not going to change my life to fit what they wanted, but please be my grandparents anyway. My dad got used to my brother abandoning the belief system.

*thinks* If anything, they are harder on the people they suspect might still be listening. My baby brother gets a ton more flack than the other two. *grin* What you need to do is kill all hope that you'll ever listen. They love you.

</advice>

[ March 14, 2004, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: katharina ]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Actually kat, I'm beginning to reach my goal. This letter really didn't bother me in the least. The most annoyed I got was when I was typing it in and doing all the UBB tags because they are a pain. I think that has been my goal, getting to where they don't bother me no matter what she says. It has taken a long time for me to get there, and I may still have relapses. But they shouldn't bother me. I should be able to blow them off as the batty ravings of a loony grandma that means well and is basically harmless.

I'm posting them now more for their sheer entertainment value. I know Tom Davidson rotfls at each one.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
If you quit your job, you'd have more time to post on Hatrack.

Unless raising those 3 or 7 kids took up some time.

(((AJ)))

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hate to be kid 4 or, God forbid, kid #8!!!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
AJ, I'm busy admiring your sense of humor and perspective. [Smile]
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you decide you want to get married, my study's pretty small, but you're welcome to it. [Wink]
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When you can’t agree on a color to paint the house he makes the final decision. You can always say “I told you so” when he is wrong.
Because passive agressiveness is just so Christian?

Or because men have such good taste in colors?

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
And the best biblical number for kids is definitely 12.

Or maybe 144,000.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

bump because I don't know if tom reads threads on weekends <grin>

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Anna. [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
After a long time, finally I've got around to read this. It's funny, in a sad kind of way. BannaOJ, your grandmother remembers me of one eldery lady whom I teach.

I mean...she's nice and well-meaning, but she does give me a hard time "advising" me about what I should do about my life.

Fortunatelly, my own grandmas are real dolls.

I hope yours can, someday, understand you and the choices you made in your life.

(((BannaOJ)))

Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

btw I think all of the links to off site scans are broken.

Eduardo, there is "nice and well-meaning" and then there is "control freak" and I still haven't decided which my grandma is.

AJ
quote:
I hope yours can, someday, understand you and the choices you made in your life
I've given up on that. Hoping hurts too much.

[ August 19, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I am reading an Agatha Christie novel, who's name slips my mind.

In it one lady is described as being "Nice and caring and totally selfish. She doesn't realize, in her self-centered world, how much damage she does with her uncalled advice and blind efforts to help."

She reminded me of your grandmother.

Of course, this woman is killed by a, as yet undiscovered, murderer.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Funerals are Fatal?

That's why I love Agatha Christie. She has shocking insight into human beings, and can create characters in a sentence. She'd kill at the one-line descriptions thread.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
"Funerals are Fatal"...I don't remember this book...maybe they misnamed it when translating to portuguese. Sometimes they do that...
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmmm, I was looking for the thread where I posted about a conversation I had with my mother. The one where I went back to talking about home equity loans because that was the only sane thing I could talk about. I thought it might be here but it isn't.

AJ

Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember reading that, but I don't recall if it was in a thread you started or one that someone else started.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you're grandma is seriously wacked. She'd give my mother a run for the money. [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was the birthday christmas thread AJ, but maybe not.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I've got a couple of grandma doozies lately. The last one used "fornicator" in it. Was fairly innocuous for the first 4 pages to lull you into complacency, and then the last two *WHAM*. I'll have to find it and type it in when I've got time.

AJ

Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
What a family, AJ. At least you have your friends, Steve, and a lot of Corgis [Smile]
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kama
Member # 3022

- posted      Profile for Kama   Email Kama         Edit/Delete Post 
I get weekly sermons from my grandmother for not calling her during the week. is she a bad grandma, she says (yes). What if she died in the meantime (what if I died in the meantime?) But so long as I'm living at home, I'm sorta bound on visiting.
Posts: 5700 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
"Then you could burn it!"

LMAO, Bob!

Wow, Anna. I have to admit after reading the last thread you bumped, I was wondering if the zany hijinks in passive-aggressive attacks had peaked. But it would seem your mother is simply the Obi-Wan to Mamaw's Qui-Gon [Frown]

The trouble with people like this is that, yes, they do have good intentions-on the surface. Of course they tell themselves, "I only want what's best for my (insert relationship here)!" and in fact they mean it. On the surface.

But when 'what's best for' always includes 'precisely what I say', then that person is lying to you and to themselves. Your grandmother, and your mother, are obviously lying both to you and to themselves, in almost every word they write. They do not intend malice, but it seems obvious to me that it's definitely there, and their only excuse is that they are unaware of it.

It's a piss-poor excuse. This is what happens when people confuse traditions and religion and holiness.

I'm sorry again that you have to deal with this, as others have said, it cannot be easy. For what it's worth, though, I commend your method! You've certainly got a lot of patience and self-discipline. I can tell you that if I were in your situation, the bridges wouldn't just have been burned, they would've been napalmed, nuked, and then rolled over with tractors. Then nuked again.

It really is ironic that you are exhibiting much more Christian characteristics than either your mother or grandmother. They're not exclusively Christian characteristics, of course, but I can't help but laugh at the thought of them laughing at the idea.

Anyway, I ramble. Good work! I'm sorry they keep giving you things to grind your teeth over, but it seems to me you've handled it in a way that does you great credit.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*hugs Rakeesh* thank you for your kind words. Currently I'm not in the throes of emotional pain that I was when I started this thread. That's not to say that it is easy, but I'm in a much healthier place now than I was then. It's interesting to see how far I've come. Having this as a venting point definitely helps.

AJ

Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent! I'm glad to hear you're able to salvage some serenity out of the whole nasty business. (Of course, the letters make me think, "Serenity now! Serenity now!")

Of course normally I'd say in a thread talking about one's family, "This is a credit to good parenting." But somehow, I think handling well constant parental attacks and viciousness like this in a good and productive way doesn't quite apply [Wink]

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Y'know. I want to thank Hatrack for being there with me through the rough patch in my life that this thread documents, and kind of close out the story.

Grandma now has mild dementia. They don't know if it will go into full fledged Alzheimer's or not. I do wonder if some of the nuttiness in these letters was a pre-cursor, I wondered it then but it isn't like my family was going to listen to my opinion on the matter.

My brother got married about a year ago. Grandma was present. She's now 83 or 84 I think. It was actually kind of sad. Now that her 3 daughters *know* that she's literally losing her mind and can't exert control over them, she's ignored until it suits them.

For example: rehersal dinner, they had flown out cross-country that morning, and she had literally been up for about 20 hours, and was complaining she was tired. They all ignored her, until finally one of the son-in-laws pointed it out to them twice, and they finally did get her to a hotel where she could rest.

On the other hand I can't exactly blame them considering how domineering she was over their lives for so long. She has been marginalized, and isn't the center of attention anymore. I admit I didn't take it upon myself to do anything either.

Late last Fall my grandfather moved them into a sort of deluxe retirement resort, that sounds like a cruise ship without the ocean. A bunch of their friends are there as well, and even though her memory is patchy in spots she's still enjoying herself. And, once you get into the place, they will continue to take care of you regardless of your health (they have a hospital-ish wing also) until you die. This is a huge burden off of their kids, and I absolutely applaud my grandfather for having the foresight to make this decision.

AJ

A few other notes: My relationship with my mother has vastly improved in just the past year. I'm much more secure in who I am, and being able to stand up to her. They have changed a lot as my brothers grew up (and are now grown)The double standard applied to them as far as freedom goes (partially because they were Boys and I was a Girl) still grates at times, but I am happy they've come around at all.

Steve and I have been together 8 years now. Nope we aren't married. I've used a phrase of Tom D's several times, where he said once that "We were more committed to *not* getting married, than most people are to being married". Oh and I'm up to 5 corgis at home, and Steve is still tolerating them.

[ January 23, 2008, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: BannaOj ]

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.