FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Letter from Grandma (An Epilogue of Sorts) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Letter from Grandma (An Epilogue of Sorts)
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
...in the court of God. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
You could just tell her that Steve is black and you're thinking about going bisexual. Regardless of whether or not you're in her will, this would appear to be a win-win situation.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

- posted      Profile for Jexxster   Email Jexxster         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose I figured that after reading the bits you have posted that she has already enough ammunition for her "holy war" against your sinful and perverted ( [Wink] ) lifestyle that anymore would be superfluous.

It sounds to me that she doesn't need you to give her anything to use, she will come up with whatever she wants. So what is the harm in letting her know you are happy?

But, obviously, I can only see the glimmer of a reflection off the surface of all of this and my opinion would obviously have to defer to your much more profound understanding of the situation. Afterall, you are the one living it, not I.

Hope it all turns out well. I also hope, for your grandmother's sake, that she can, at some point (whether in this life or the next) see the error of her ways and embrace you with the love my grandparents have always shown me.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I don't really care about a will. They had some money after Grammy sold off her mother's Kentucky tobbaco plantation (because tobacco was of the devil) but they pretty much frittered it all away in bad investments etc.

Like I said earlier in this thread though, anything rude or over the top(even if couched in Southern terms) I say to Grammy, will get taken out on my mother, who while we don't see eye to eye is infinitely more logical than Grandma.

So its better for me to not say anything I think.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Jexster's comment got me thinking. The problem is, that no matter how much you tell these people that you are happy, they truly believe that deep down you MUST be miserable. If they start believing you are happy it invalidates their own religion, which says that anyone living without their god is unhappy.

The funny thing is that I could turn it around on them. They genuinely think they are happy (because it is kind of a sin to not be happy) but their actions show just how miserable, and unhappy they actually are.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you should send Grammy a nice, framed 8x10 color glossy of you and Steve for Christmas. Yes, it's passive agressive, but if it kills her, not only will you not get grief about it, but neither will your mother. And actually, if your mother gets grief about it, I'd tell her that it's her problem. She is a grown woman and should more than capable of speaking up on her own behalf. You know, something along the lines of "Mother, Anna seems to be the one you are having the problem with. If it annoys you, take it up with her and leave me out of the middle." At which point Grammy will either start annoying you and you can tell her to shove off, or she won't.
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

AJ

Very true, people like that just can't seem to believe that there is any joy to be found outside their incredibly egocentric microcosm. It is a shame, and hopefully someday they can change.

And what I find the most sad is that they feel the need to shove that sort of myopic view of the world and life down the throats of all around them.

Perhaps it is hypocrisy for me to say that, having served a religious mission and all. But if someone told us no we wished them a good day and really meant it, then moved on.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

The problem with the 8x10 glossy is getting Steve to actually have a picture taken. [Big Grin]
I'd kind of like a portrait of us and the dogs, but I don't even think I could get a portrait of us without the dogs out of him.

AJ

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Steve is a doll for inviting us back.

AJ, the letter I read aloud was among the most caustic pieces of writing I've ever had the displeasure of handling. It went so far beyond the pale that my jaw dropped.

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah, I know, I think that was part of what brought this back to the surface again. I guess I have developed a callous to what she is actually writing. Your genuine outrage was good for me. Every now and then I need to remind myself that this Isn't Normal Behavior and that there are good people out there who don't approve of it.

Letting myself lull into a false sense of normalcy is probably dangerous, because since I have seen similar traits in my Grandma and my mother (though mom isn't as bad, but has gotten progressively worse with age) I need to constantly remind myself to be on the lookout for those things in myself.

I'll try to type that most recent letter into this thread tonight for the rest of Hatrack if I get a chance.

AJ

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Only type it in if it helps you. Sharing the burden can be a relief, and I think it would be hard for someone to imagine what this woman gets up to on her own, unless you'd seen it firsthand.

Sheesh. [Angst]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

At this point, typing it in will be more of a challenge with the unorthodox punctuation and illegible penmanship.

I really do need to scan one in so those of you who haven't seen one in person can get the full underlining experience.

AJ

Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be interested in seeing a copy actually. I've been wondering what these letters looked at ever since you first mentioned them.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well I've worked it out with TomD. Since I don't have a webpage of my own, tonight when I get home from work I'm going to scan the most recent letter (front and back when necessary) in and e-mail it to him. He will post it and put the link here.

Hopefully it will be decipherable. I have a pretty decent quality scanner.

AJ

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Noemon, it's bizarre. Bits of gossipy chitchat about family interspersed with threats of hellfire. "Mary had a teaparty, check out the photos" followed by "and unless you repent of your ways, eternal damnation is your lot."

Bible quotes and random underlining throughout. Just bizarre. [Frown]

[ October 14, 2003, 04:55 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Noemon
Member # 1115

That is so bizarre. I actually think about these letters more than you might expect...they just sound so horrifyingly odd. I've actually imagined little doodles of devils gleefully poking at people as they writhe in hellfire decorating the margins.

[ October 14, 2003, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: Noemon ]

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm totally doing that on the next letter I write to my brother.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
((((((((((((((((AJ))))))))))))))))

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

I'm kat's muse! Whooo-hooo!
BannaOj
Member # 3206

no there aren't any doodles, just a lot of underlining.

We all agree she is loony, but what do you think of someone who sends you pictures of relatives and then asks you to send them back?

I think she wants me to send them back just so she can get a letter from me and I don't want to give her that satisfaction. I haven't ever sent them back, because I don't think I should have to. Which is more rude?

(There's one for miss manners!)

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Well I got an even more bizzare postcard from Grandma today. In it she says "Please forgive me, I need more meekness" Heb. 6:1. Then goes on to discuss my salvation or lack thereof. (She can squeeze a lot on a postcard.)

I looked up the Bible verse and I have no idea what her point is, as far as me forgiving her goes. What specific act does she want me to forgive? It isn't her general bitchiness because that is still clearly there.

I'm in the process of scanning the letter and the postcard in and will send it to Tom shortly.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Tom, I'm sending the files from STeve's e-mail since the scanner is hooked up to his computer and it is easier than messing with hotmail directly. You will see something come through with sjones_ce I don't know what size file it will be.

Steve is making me do them in black and white to make them smaller, though the audience will miss an interesting ink color change. She changes from black pen to blue pen from the first to second page, and then goes back to underline the black stuff in blue pen.

Truly bizzare.

AJ

Black Mage
Member # 5800

- posted      Profile for Black Mage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this controlling matriarch thing saddens me. Man, I just can't imagine if my Grandmasand Great Grandma were any different.

My Great Granny just passed, and she was the sweetest, kindest, most accepting person I could ever hope to meet. Truly a Christian, how a Christian should be. And man, I don't know what to say, if I hadn't had. . .

Just do your best, all right? Your grandmother has no grounds for her hate letters. Ignore them and hang in there.

Posts: 767 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's hard to understand, I guess, unless you've actually had to deal with this situation, but some grandmothers, and mothers, and aunts, etc. are genuinely awful people who want nothing but to control every inch of their offspring's lives.
Exactly. If I tell most people about my mother and how I don't have any contact with her, they look at me like I've just announced that I smash kittens. (The fact that my religious denomination practically worships mothers doesn't help me any.) When other people think of mothers, they are usually (subconsciously, even) thinking of their ideal of nurturing and caring. Of course it seems terrible to shut that kind of a person out of your life. But my mother was more like the "other mother" in Coraline. All she cared about was control, and when she couldn't get that, she tried to destroy our lives.

I won't feel really safe from her until she's dead.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yozhik
Member # 89

- posted      Profile for Yozhik   Email Yozhik         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the problem with communicating to her at all is that "anything you say can and will be used against you"
YES.

This is EXACTLY how they work.

Posts: 1512 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Wondering if tom will be able to get the letter up tonight....

Thanks for your work on this Tom!

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.plastic-castle.com/grandmapostcard.pdf

http://www.plastic-castle.com/grandmaletter.pdf

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jexxster
Member # 5293

[Eek!]

*GASP*

You could have served tea?!?!

And remind us againg why you aren't running, walking, flying, hitch hiking, whatever it takes to get there.

[Wall Bash]

Wow, sorry you have to put up with this. I sincerely hope sharing is good therapy.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

To use a Ralphie-ism Tom RAWKS!

AJ

rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I can see the postcard, but not the letter. [Razz]

*kicks puter*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Weird.

I can see the letter but not the postcard. [Confused]

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
While meaning no offense, but assuredly causing some - Anna, your grandmother's letters make me think of the Chick tracts I parodied.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emperor Palpatine
Member # 3544

- posted      Profile for Emperor Palpatine   Email Emperor Palpatine         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you still exist, carnie.
Posts: 1004 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
wow, banna, i don't even know where to start. i have some clue what you're going through. my mother is similar, although she hasn't quite gotten to the level of your grandmother. However, i've only just begun to wade through the deceit and the manipulation and the emotional chaos. I also can't have a conversation with her without being told how i need to pray and find a church. Yohzik said:

quote:
I won't feel really safe from her until she's dead.
i wish i could say the same thing. i don't necessarily fear my mother, but my two brothers and i can't get together (i'm lucky if i see one of them every other year, let alone both at once) without talking about mom and how she's screwed us up. sadly, i don't think that will change even after she's dead. i love my mother, maybe because i've been brainwashed to do so, but i resent the emotional damage i'm currently dealing with.

i admit i'm not completely up to speed on your situation, and i'm not really in a position to offer advice, but it kind of sounds like you should stop reading the letters. i can understand your wanting to keep them as evidence. i would likely do the same thing. but you can't move on if you keep going back to the same place. trying to get her to stop sending the letters would probably just make things worse, but there's no law that says you have to read them.

[ October 15, 2003, 04:08 AM: Message edited by: fiazko ]

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"Anna, your grandmother's letters make me think of the Chick tracts I parodied."

YES, Ralphie, I thought the same thing.

It also brings back the question: IS the "Landover Baptist Church" site a parody, really? Because what those articles say are real for some people.

Banna, it is incredible, as you mentioned somewhere, that your grandmother peppers the letters equally with banter about embroidery skill and biblical references. It is quite something, even more so when I read the handwritten version.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GradStudent
Member # 5088

- posted      Profile for GradStudent   Email GradStudent         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the fact that she underlined November at the top of the postcard [Smile]

[ October 15, 2003, 06:14 AM: Message edited by: GradStudent ]

Posts: 134 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel sorry for BannaAnna's Grandma. [Frown]

My grandma's handwriting kind of looks like that, and she peppers her letters with bible verses, but it's with love, and not brimstone.

The postcard wasn't so bad, but the letter was just sad and obsessed.

[Frown] Poor AnnaBanna.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if the thought of burning in hell didn't make me get married to my boyfriend, the promise of a gift certificate to Red Lobster after two years sure would....

AJ, I am sorry your gramdmother is like she is, and that she persists in reminding you of it.

I have just finished reading a good book called "Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with People Who Try to Control You" by Patricia Evans, who also wrote "The Verbally Abusive Relationship". I was somewhat disappointed in the "how to deal with them" part, but the description of them and their behavior was right on and very validating. She has web sites at www.patriciaevans.com and www.verbalabuse.com

Love, Rain

Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Controlling People: How to Recognize, Understand, and Deal with People Who Try to Control You"
This book begs for an AND. Like,

quote:
AND How to Control Them First

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hey Ralphie... she strangely reminds me of the Chick tracts too. In fact in past letters she has enclosed them for me to "leave in phone booths".

That particular postcard is odd even for her.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Oh Grad Student,

Knowing how she things a bit, what I took from that bit about the underlining November "the amish wedding month" was that we (Steve and I) should be sure and get married by next month at the latetst.

AJ

Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Grandma,

Thank you again for all your advice. I have great news. After talking it over with my live in lover (what a sex fiend!) we decided to get married. As you suggested, we eloped last weekend.

I may not have mentioned it before, because I wasn't sure if you could handle the news, but now, with God on my side, I see you can.

My new spouce is black,

and Jewish,

and her name is Eugena.

With Love

Your Granddaughter.

ps. When can we expect the Red Lobster coupon?

[ October 15, 2003, 09:53 AM: Message edited by: Dan_raven ]

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

[ROFL] Dan that is great!

While I have never wanted a "frilly" wedding, I now resent the fact that she thinks I am no longer worthy of the "best" which in her mind is the frilly wedding, and that I should take the lesser "elopment" option.

Though it gives me a great excuse for not inviting her to the wedding!

AJ

Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
(((BannaOj)))

Your grandmother reminds me of my mother, when she was going through her religious phase. And I agree with the people who have posted to say that it is not about religion, or genuine concern for your soul, but about being in control and being manipulative.

I won't go into detail, because I don't want to open the gates and hijack your thread, but I really can empathize A LOT. If you ever want to talk about it with someone who may know exactly how you feel, feel free to IM me if you have AIM, or to e-mail me.

(((BannaOj)))

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
You are worthy of the best.

Lucky for you, you found it.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I posted an excerpt from the letter over on that "verbal abuse" bulletin board. It doesn't look nearly as good as Hatrack, but I'll see what they say, if anything.

((Hatrack))

I love you guys!

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

Random thoughts:
I want to know whether the letter lives up (or down) to Noemon's expectations. [Big Grin]
---
Out of courtesy to my cousins, I didn't scan in the two pictures of them at their "tea party" but suffice to say it the idea looked like a pre-Civil War Southern ball, without quite the authentic period clothing. (Those who saw the pictures can attempt to describe further if they wish.) Most of them appeared to be wearing hoop skirts.
---
That Bible verse that she quoted on the postcard. I really don't get what she was saying and I've had years to try to learn to interpret her. Most of the time she does have a point she is trying to make even if it is out in left field somewhere before she jumps to the next topic.

Here's the verse, in KJV because that is what she always quotes. Let me know if you can think of anything, that a less than rational mind might produce. Here's the entire passage The specific verse is
quote:
Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,

any ideas?

AJ

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Actually, Anna, the postcard sounds to me like an apology. She's saying that she, personally, needs more meekness, and would like you to forgive her for harping.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what Hebrews 6 has to do with that; it's a verse that explains that God will show mercy to the deserving (and has made a promise in that regard), but that people who have been baptized and fall from grace thereafter are NOT deserving. Kind of passive-aggressive in this context, methinks.

Further, I find it odd that she describes the saved person as "carrying a great burden," then goes on to say "not saved = no burden." Presumably it's a GOOD burden?

katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor lady.

The letter is wack. Anna should NOT have to deal with this, and is under no obligations, but the postcard was almost touching.

I was confused by the ending, too. Did she mean it that way? That those who are saved are carrying a burden? Does she mean responsibility? Does she see her need for more meekness as a burden? I think she's fascinating, in the same way I think Katharine Hepburn is fascinating. You don't want to be related to or to live with such people, but she's fascinating.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Yeah, but the problem I guess is that I view any apology as highly suspect and merely a ploy for further manipulation attempts.

The other thing that bothers me is that these sort of people "need" me to forgive them, even if I say there is nothing to forgive. Compelled forgiveness isn't forgiveness at all. My mother is worse about this than Mamaw and she isn't anywhere near as outrageous.

I refuse to forgive and forget however, because to act like nothing has ever happened is rediculous. With a track record like Mamaw's to drop my guard for an instant would make me vulnerable. I will NOT make myself any more emotionally vulnerable than I already am to a person like this.

I don't know if there is anything to actually forgive or not. To me it depends on the woman's sanity. If she is sane I don't know that I could or should forgive with that little of an apology, everything she writes is too deliberately malicious and unmaking. If she isn't sane and just batty, then yes I can forgive her, but I then have major issues with the rest of the family for being in denial of her mental illness.,

I know the reason for forgivness
(from a human standpoint)is to let something go so that it doesn't eat away at you anymore. In a real sense I am trying to do that, but in a different way than Grammy thinks is proper. Every time I share this, it loses some of its venom.

The problem is that the venom is still dangerous and I don't know what to do with the snake. I have moved on with my life so that it doesn't affect me directly or daily like it used to. But rather than "forgiving" in the classical definition, the only way I move past is by telling myself that it doesn't matter what this woman says to me, I know I have value and am loved.

Hopefully one day I will get to the point where it doesn't matter to me in the slightest. At that point I guess "forgivness" will have been reached.

AJ

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.