FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Summer Olympics 2008: Beijing (Page 7)

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Summer Olympics 2008: Beijing
Eduardo_Sauron
Member # 5827

- posted      Profile for Eduardo_Sauron   Email Eduardo_Sauron         Edit/Delete Post 
[sarcasm] But there isn't such thing as child abuse in Chinese society. That's crazy talk. [sarcasm]
Posts: 1785 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Blayne: As a few pointed out, the rule stands so as to protect younger gymnasts from being pushed too hard to compete in the Olympics at a young age. I'd rather a 13 year old, who will turn 14 the year of the Olympics, wait until they turn 18 at the next one.

As far as gymnastics is concerned, it's an incredibly competitive and dangerous sport as is. One wrong landing and your entire gymnastics career is over. Of course injuries will still happen, but they are reduced by this rule.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
It's like just because someone don't agree with anti-doping rules doesn't mean they don't need to be followed.

Agreed, if only the endless revolving door stream of 'Free Tibet' activists setting up in Beijing, tipping off Western journalists, getting filmed, and then being detained within a few minutes and deported got that message too.
Yeah, as much as I am not pleased with China's politics, it's really stupid to do that. They don't even bother to learn Mandarin first so people might know what they're doing.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They don't even bother to learn Mandarin first so people might know what they're doing.
To be fair, it's not like that's just something you can check off the list. Do we have the banners? Yep. Flyers? Yep. Did someone remember to learn Mandarin? Yeah - Charlie picked it up last Tuesday.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Agreed, if only the endless revolving door stream of 'Free Tibet' activists setting up in Beijing, tipping off Western journalists, getting filmed, and then being detained within a few minutes and deported got that message too.
Mucus, do you mean this literally, or are you being pithy?

---------

Boy, there are lots of ways in which chess is like Olympian gymnastics.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yeah, as much as I am not pleased with China's politics, it's really stupid to do that. They don't even bother to learn Mandarin first so people might know what they're doing.
They're not intending to communicate with the people in China.
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, I mean I rather thought that was obvious.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

- posted      Profile for scholarette           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just reading an article arguing that synchro swimming should be eliminated from the Olympics. I LOVE synchro swimming. I was very disappointed by it being on at 2am only and am planning to watch the videos on nbc when I get a chance (my husband wants to watch with me and baby goes crazy whenever we try to watch things on our computer which makes it harder).

Anyone else think it is an awesome sport or do most people agree that it isn't Olympic worthy?

Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elmer's Glue
Member # 9313

- posted      Profile for Elmer's Glue   Email Elmer's Glue         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is pretty boring, although I saw the two person Russian team and it was pretty good because they were going much faster than I have seen before.
Synchronized diving is just awful though.

Posts: 1287 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched the men's 10m diving final.

Matthew Mitcham's final dive was awesome.

The Australian commentators were really funny - they had expected the Chinese diver to win, and so were treating it like a foregone conclusion. 'Til Mitcham scored 112.10.

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

- posted      Profile for Zhil           Edit/Delete Post 
Ref gets a faceful of feet; feet's owner faces bannination

How angry was Cuban Taekwondo competitor Angel Matos? Angry enough to kick the ref in the face with the foot with a broken toe. Hrmmm.

[edit:
quote:
"This is an insult to the Olympic vision, an insult to the spirit of taekwondo and, in my opinion, an insult to mankind," Yang said.
His behavior was unsportsmanlike, but wow, what hyperbole. Yang takes his martial arts very seriously. [Embarrassed] ]

Did any channel cover Taekwondo? I only get basic cable, and most of the coverage I've managed to catch has been running/swimming/gymnastic stuff. And youtube doesn't have any of it either. [Frown]

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone else think it is an awesome sport or do most people agree that it isn't Olympic worthy?
I don't see why it can't be both. I think it's difficult to do, and has an entertainment value to it, but I don't think it should be an Olympic sport. If you read the article that I read, they were also talking about rhythmic gymnastics, which I also don't think should be an Olympic sport, along with a half dozen other sports that shouldn't count. And for that matter, I think half the categories, races, rounds etc within each sport should be eliminated as well. I don't think there needs to be 300 different kinds of swimming and track races. I don't think table tennis or badmitton should be in there at all either.

How long before Rugby and Lacrosse get added? I know Rugby is really more of an English imperialist sport, like cricket, but baseball isn't really something that goes beyond the Americas and Japan. I mean are we just adding EVERYTHING into the mix? Olympic Tag? I suppose that'll have two different medals though, because there will have to be one for Olympic freeze tag. Olympic marching band?

I don't think the sanctity of the games would be harmed one bit by cutting back a bit.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

South Korea is also pretty crazy about baseball. Baseball teams are named after the companies that sponsor them:
LG vs Samsung

Posts: 80 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Three comments on that:

1. Thunder sticks: The quintessential American export.

2. Like 80% of the stadium is empty.

3. They have to bring those people dancing on the dugouts between innings to a baseball game here. And the Korean music too. It's catchy.

Edit to add: I stand corrected, I just looked it up and Thundersticks are actually Korean, and later gained popularity here. You'd think cheap, really loud annoying pieces of plastic filled with hot air would be more easily associated with Americans, but I guess not.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Annie:
quote:
They don't even bother to learn Mandarin first so people might know what they're doing.
To be fair, it's not like that's just something you can check off the list. Do we have the banners? Yep. Flyers? Yep. Did someone remember to learn Mandarin? Yeah - Charlie picked it up last Tuesday.
Well, duh.

But they could at the very least, if they're not able to go in-depth in their study of the Chinese language and culture, hire someone to teach them a few key phrases in Mandarin. At least. As it is they're pretty obviously doing it just for the American media. As much as I sympathise with their cause I really don't with their methods.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zhil
Member # 10504

I agree that they should cut the fat for the events, I'm just putting it out there. And I'm pretty sure that attendance rate is average for most baseball games, no matter what nationality.

FYI S. Korea [edit: men's] baseball team won gold yesterday. [Big Grin]

[edit also: K-POP! [Mad] So insidious.]

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
You'd think cheap, really loud annoying pieces of plastic filled with hot air would be more easily associated with Americans, but I guess not.
I take it you've never been to a Korean New Year party. [Big Grin]

(I grew up in an area with lots of Koreans and as such have had a chance to partake of many Korean cultural experiences. Many of them are not at all what you'd expect...)

I got a kick out of watching the end of the baseball game this morning when the catcher got thrown out for arguing with the ump. We had the sound down and subtitles on so I could just look at him instead of listening to the commentators and it was funny how polite his angry gestures were.

I also got annoyed at the commentators. I am one of the people who actually needs commentary to follow a baseball game, and I didn't like missing half the action while they talked about yesterday's US game and how well the team did considering and blah blah blah. You're paid to talk about the game, talk about it already!!!

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
The US team sports had a HUGE night, and I'm very glad I stayed up to watch as much of it as possible. [Smile]
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mucus
Member # 9735

- posted      Profile for Mucus           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
Mucus, do you mean this literally, or are you being pithy?

Erm, maybe both?
Anyways, I think that if someone associated with the Chinese gymnasts is cheating at some level or another than thats a shame. I also think that the type of protests I described are silly and ultimately probably counter-productive to the cause of bringing more freedom to Tibet (and possibly to China as a whole).

This is not to say that there is any connection or moral equivalence between to the two scenarios, or even to make a larger point about whether one should follow a just law. It just was the first example that crossed my mind associated with the Olympics where people would probably be better off just following the rules.

Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
This may not be the appropriate place to post this - but hey, I'm a proud mama.

My daughter had her first gymnastics meet of the competitive season and her team placed first. She herself won gold on the uneven bars and siler on beam. She came in 4th in the all-around, due to some lower scores on vault and floor (where I think she placed sixth and fifth, respectively.)

Regardless, winning gold on her favorite event has her really excited. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
[Party] Congratulations - both to her and to a proud mother!

---

I can't wait to see the men's volleyball game tonight. My heart was in my throat just watching the scores last night; it must have been a crazy game. [Smile]

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

quote:
I also got annoyed at the commentators. I am one of the people who actually needs commentary to follow a baseball game, and I didn't like missing half the action while they talked about yesterday's US game and how well the team did considering and blah blah blah. You're paid to talk about the game, talk about it already!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tell you one thing also, about announcing. I saw the synchronized swimming events, and they discussed how the Chinese hired a Russian coach, and that coach was shocked when a swimmer asked for "a weekend off" to go home and see her family whom she had not seen in 10 years.

Now, the announcer then went on to say something about what extraordinary dedication that showed. I'm sorry, that's not dedicated - that's sick and twisted. Girls leaving home and not allowed to see their families for a decade, and not getting one weekend off in that time - there's nothing admirable there. Nothing that should receive any type of positive comment from the announcers.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
American news media appears to be claiming the US has won due to having more "total" medals but the Official Olympics website and for that matter historical precedent of every preceding Olympics games China has won due to having the most Gold medals.

The American propoganda machine at work.

Now if they had a score system of say a Gold worth 4, silver 2 and bronze 1 and totaled it up to USA having more points then fine, math doesn't lie but there doesn't appear to be the case.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

In my past experiences of watching the games - the overall medal count is usually what has been touted as the biggest achievement.

But, usually the person who wins the most medals is also the one who wins the most golds. In this case, it isn't.

Blayne Bradley
unregistered

No, its nearly always been which country has the most gold.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been irritated with the news media here making a big deal of the fact that some of the gold medallists from other countries had Australian coaches (particularly in cycling and swimming).

'It's really a gold for Australia!' and so on. And of course no mention of the fact that a *lot* of the coaches for the Australian competitors are from different countries (diving, gymnastics, weightlifting and so on).

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:

I recall the total medal count as being the most important thing in the past, not the gold. Do you some some actual basis for making your claim?
Posts: 2223 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Belle and Blayne, you're both right. The American media tends to put the "winner" of the medal count as the one with the most overall medals.

The rest of the world tends to count the medal count race only in who has the most golds.

Mucus
Member # 9735

Decent summary here
quote:
The reason is due to a divide between the U.S. and the rest of the world. The U.S. -- actually its media, including The Wall Street Journal -- ranks countries by all the medals a team wins.
The rest of the world ranks countries by golds. Silver and bronze are used only as tie-breakers. ...

The split has its roots in the early days of the Olympics and reflects the movement's evolution, from an organization that sought to eliminate nations' victories over one another to one that celebrates them. And while it's primarily a quirky point for most people, the difference in the medal tables arguably has its serious side too. Some see in the gold-first ranking -- which is unofficially endorsed by the International Olympic Committee -- one reason why countries have become increasingly ruthless in cutting funding for sports where they don't have a clear shot at a gold.

Raising the issue with the IOC does no good, Mr. Shvets says, because "they say it's not official. Everybody says it's not official." Yet despite that, the gold counts are sometimes prominently displayed. In Sydney in 2000, Mr. Shvets says, there was a tall tower in the Olympic area that showed the top medal-winning countries -- golds only. "They updated it every day," he says.

Beyond the frustration, a more serious issue is that the tables are taken seriously by sports officials around the world. Over the past few years, an array of countries, from Australia and Japan to France and Germany, have begun adopting policies aimed at gold. They have done so by cutting funding for sports that aren't likely to win gold. The German motto for this year's Games is "maintain 6th in Beijing and move to 5th in London" -- based on the gold-first tally. Funding is being tailored accordingly, according to German sports officials.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121856271893833843.html
Posts: 7593 | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Just to emphasize, this is not a new way of ranking the medals. From Mucus's link:

quote:
As for the Associated Press in New York, it "has always aggregated it by total medals for as long as we can remember," said its sports-statistics editor Paul Montella. For non-U.S. customers, however, AP provides the gold-first table.
Blayne, perhaps you could cite some evidence that this is a new way of ranking within the United States?
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Finally, I hope this kind of fudging the formality culture is lost in China. It really is bad for the development of the rule of law.
I mentioned it a few pages back, but age doesn't matter to the Chinese. The nearest correlation I can think of is how Americans don't care about gender. Chinese don't see the enforcement of age limits as a matter for the rule of law. Or, I think I may have compared it to highway speed limits before. In America, I know plenty of people who drive 7-9 miles over the limit who also say things like "it's too bad we don't enforce our laws more strictly."
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Blayne Bradley:
American news media appears to be claiming the US has won due to having more "total" medals but the Official Olympics website and for that matter historical precedent of every preceding Olympics games China has won due to having the most Gold medals.

The American propoganda machine at work.

Now if they had a score system of say a Gold worth 4, silver 2 and bronze 1 and totaled it up to USA having more points then fine, math doesn't lie but there doesn't appear to be the case.

Blayne,
I don't think you should even comment on anyone elses propaganda. [Smile]

That being said, ALL of the American coverage I have seen has made a huge deal about the overall gold count as well as the overall medal count. Each time they mention the overall count, which is what most American's have always followed, they ALWAYS mention the overall gold count, with China in the lead.

Perhaps your problem is with your OWN preconceptions about the US. Just a thought.....

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

You can call us second place if you want, it doesn't bother me any. Considering the different approaches between the US and China when it comes to the Olympics, I'm totally satisfied with how we did (well, possibly excepting the implosion of US Track, but that's another fight for another day).

I don't have a problem losing to a country with four times our population who spends billions and billions on training and yanks kids from their homes to train seven or eight hours a day without seeing their families. If that's what it takes to win, I'll proudly take second place.

Belle
Member # 2314

Lyrhawn, I totally agree.

And now, my shameless promotion continues.

My daughter's gymnastics meet

With apologies for the quality, because I'm still learning about producing videos and uploading them to YouTube.

Mucus
Member # 9735

Random thoughts during the (annoying long) closing ceremonies (CBC broadcast)
* Damn the preamble and associated retrospectives and stuff are boring, I should have checked the schedule to see when the actual ceremony starts
* Well, I'm glad that Zhang Yimou is getting a chance to get ludicrous amounts of people doing random stuff out of his system. Maybe we won't have to see another Curse of the Golden Flower-esque CGI crowd spectacular
* Mmmm, speech by in Mandarin with English and French tidbits
* The end to the Olympic flame is somewhat bittersweet. It was fun to see the media focus on China in its flawed way in China and the associated blog tidbits and random documentaries. Still it will be nice to see Beijing/China go back to normal.
* Ahhhh, finally some good and big fireworks to celebrate. If you're going to do fireworks you may as well use more explosives than probably exist in our military. Woo-eee
* I feel kinda embarresed to say that I find that "Wo ai Beijing" song kinda catchy and fun (Wikipedia tells me that it involves Kelly Chen of Infernal Affairs, Breaking News (good) and Empress film (bad) fame)
* Kinda too much singing but....

* Jackie Chan! Andy Lau! Karen Mok! Woooo! Hong Kong celebrity invasion!

Canada did decently, China topped the medal standings, and Hong Kong invaded the closing ceremonies at the last minute, screw medals. I'm satisfied [Smile]

Mucus
Member # 9735

I love the Internet. A search for that song (mmm, erhu a-go-go) on Youtube gives as the top two results, Stephen Chow's very funny and subversive "From Beijing With Love" parody of James Band which is banned in China (heh) and the amusing "Sexy Beijing" series of webisodes.
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

quote:
Remember, guys. This is a question of history, and we all know who's right in those!
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The video was adorable, Belle.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I distinctly remember conversations I had in the '80s about why America kept track of the total medal count instead of the gold count, and specifically noted that it served to help promote smaller countries whose athletes might not win gold, but still deserved to be honored for their efforts. Reducing the medal count to the golds reduces the Olympics to a sporting event, which it most assuredly is not meant only to be.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blayne Bradley
unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Rakeesh:
quote:
Remember, guys. This is a question of history, and we all know who's right in those!
I am.
Mucus
Member # 9735

quote:
Originally posted by TomDavidson:
... promote smaller countries whose athletes might not win gold, but still deserved to be honored for their efforts.

Technically, if you look at say the CBC medal table http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/ which is sorted by gold medals, the smaller countries that only won silver or bronze medals still show up in the rankings. After all, silver and bronze medals have to be used to break ties when two countries tie with the same number of golds, the smaller nations are just all "tied" with 0 golds.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Belle -

Good camera work, and I thought the music an excellent choice too. That beam routine was pretty neat, with the handstand at the end and the flip thing.

Very cool. [Smile]

Belle
Member # 2314

Thank you guys. [Smile]

My hubby did the camera work.

It's important to remember that the vast majority of girls who do gymnastics look like her - they are going to local meets, with only their parents there, and cheering on each other and having fun.

They won't ever be Shawn Johnson or Nastia Liukin, but they do it because it's fun and they love it. [Smile]

For a first meet, Em did pretty good - a gold and a silver is not bad at all, but she told me on the way home she had lots of room for improvement. [Wink] Which is what its about - pushing yourself to get better and go further and accepting disappointment and getting back on the beam when you fall.

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zhil:
Ref gets a faceful of feet; feet's owner faces bannination

I do have to say, that's an awesomely scary photo.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Yeah, I saw that too. Frankly-and not just because I'm no fan of Cuba-I wonder if the penalties should not have spread beyond the athlete and the coach. I have to wonder if this sort of hot-headedness, poor sportsmanship, aggression, and childishness could have gone unnoticed by the rest of the Cuban Olympic group, or sprung up overnight.
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
On the number of events at the olympics:

The more the merrier. One of the things the olympics has done in the past is helped spread regional sports around the globe. Just as an example: Beach volleyball used to be a south california, brazilian game. Its not anymore.

The games are one of the only times that many of these athletes have what is essentially their life's work recognized. I understand that most people NEVER do, but why take the opportunity away from some people who are getting seen? Its not like having Trampoline at the olympics actually reduces the amount of gymnastics or track you can watch, given the proliferation of olympic-carrying channels. hell, OXYGEN carried olympics this year.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scholarette
Member # 11540

Belle- I think it is good for your daughter to not be Shawn or Nastia. Much more fun. My sister was not Olympic level, but she was dang good. She quit because it just got too much. She was expected to basically starve herself. She could barely keep up with school and they wanted even more hours at the gym. To pay for all the training she "needed" was putting my parents pretty deeply in debt. Lots of quit being so tall comments (cause she could control that and I think she is pretty short). And lots of injuries- mostly minor, but almost constantly one thing or another. At the higher levels, most of the fun is gone.
brojack17
Member # 9189

- posted      Profile for brojack17   Email brojack17         Edit/Delete Post 
Great video Belle. Congrats on the gold and silver.

I miss the Olympics already. Hopefully I'll be able to see some of the Paralympics. I'm really looking forward to the Qual Rugby.

Posts: 1766 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

scholarette, I agree. Our gym won't train elite level. Our coach it's just too hard and it becomes, as you said, no fun. His gym is only open three nights a week, and he won't train anyone on a tougher schedule than that. We also have no weigh-ins, or recommended diets, or any of that stuff. While it's certainly not cheap, it's comparable to other sports and activities - in other words, not outrageous.

It is supposed to be fun, and I've always told her the day it seems like a chore and not something fun, is the day we quit.

BandoCommando
Member # 7746

- posted      Profile for BandoCommando           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
[QUOTE]Olympic marching band?

Hey now, I think this could be pretty cool! [Big Grin]
Posts: 1099 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.