FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where is our Locke? (Page 7)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Where is our Locke?
BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
There have been very few periods in american history where there were only two parties. But as someone already said the so called third parties don't have any power, because of the aforementioned monetary stranglehold that the republicans and democrats have over the country, but also because of the fact that precious few people vote third parties, because the american people believe that a third party cannot win. Since everyone believes it, it becomes true.

I personally think there should be no parties. Lobbies, yes that is fine, but look at the US. Democrats fight and bicker and argue with Republicans all the time. Sure, they claim that it's over lofty ideals and true differences of opinion, but in the end it all comes down to bipartisan politics. A Democrat who is seen to side with the republicans too often loses any power he might have had. The same is true on the flip side of the coin. But if there is only one party, or no parties, then They don't have that to fight over. What good does a party do anyway, besides decrease the number of candidates in a given election?

If I'm not mistaken the most populous state is California, but it Might be New York. The least populous state is Alaska, which is the largest in surface area.

As to the congress, I'm sorry to cause confusion. In common usage, the house of representatives is usually called Congress, however in the strictest literal sense of the word, as I used it, it means a bringing together, thus, both houses of the government, the house and the senate, together constitute the Congress of the United States.

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited August 06, 2002).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

- posted      Profile for Humani           Edit/Delete Post 
personally, I don't like the idea of only having lobbies. lobbies have more power, if they have more money, so I don't think it's very democratic. What would you vote for, if there were no parties? With parties they should have a manifesto, to publish what they will try to do if you elect them. So everyone can vote for the one which matches their own ideas. If they don't do what they say, then people won't vote for them next time.

Or do you mean vote for a lobby??? then they are the same as parties???

Please explain, how do you see it working with 1/no parties? you mean 1 party like the CCP in china? and you vote for the representative of that party? what if you disagree with the party?

What about if there were many parties, and they made coalitions? In continental europe they do that quite alot, I think. The ruling colation must have in total 50% of the vote. So if there are like 7 parties, and they get the following votes:
party1: 37%
party2: 33%
party3: 10%
party4: 8%
party5: 7%
party6: 5%
party7: 2%

party1 and party2 are the main 2 parties, and the main competition... unlikely to make a coalition together.
Party 1 to rule can make a coalition with say party 3 and one of the others, so that together they must have at least 50%. the president will come from party1.

Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

or you mean to have a coalition of all the parties? is the president still of the biggest party, or how do you decide the president, is that a separate vote?
Posts: 64 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
China: Honestly, don't know much much about the political system there except I theorize at this time that it is sufficiently bad as to require replacement through genuine revolution(Not mere reform). War-like or peacefull? I hope peacefull; Gorbachev provided a good example.
State(cap S) Size: 1000 people is much too small(at least as a norm), but many countries are just too big. There's go to be a happy medium.
Political Parties: Within a free state(small s) you cannot stop them. You can, however: #1) Limit campaign funding. #2) Provide campaign funding equally and in a way that promotes the quick and easy development of new parties. #3) Make sure there are absoulutely no government enforced or supported rules restricting any person to vote in any particular party for any particular thing or person, or any other poltical way.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

happy medium.. about how much, 10 million?
what about countries that are too big or too small? put the small ones in regions? but what if their neighbours are much bigger? e.g. vatican citiés only neighbour is Italy, already about 50 million. and the big one's, how do you decide where to split them? maybe those new boundaries are meaningless to the people who live there?

How do you make a peaceful revolution in China? Tianamen square was not so peaceful? if you were chinese would you like to try that again, knowing what had happened before? I think the government doesn't want to feel pushed... if they feel pushed to go one way, they go the other way.....

Their priority right now seems to be the economy. If it seems good for the economy to give people more rights, maybe they will do it.
They already saying they want to get rid of corruption, if they actually do that, it will be much better.

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 07, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

In a one party system, everyone is of the same party, so you vote for a candidate based on his individual merits, instead of because he belongs to such and such party. Then, while he is in office, he will vote however he feels is right, based on what he thinks is right, instead of bickering over party lines.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ender_wiggin
Member # 3950

- posted      Profile for Ender_wiggin   Email Ender_wiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no Locke. There will never be a Locke in our time. No Locke, nor Demosthenes, nor Graff nor Ender. They do not and will not exist in this time. Battle School? Neither. Bean will not exist, and Achilles will not be conceived. No saviour. No common enemy. The only common enemy we must realize is ourselves and our laws. We are the monsters, not Achilles or Peter Wiggin...
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninja: Though what you say seems good sense, in a free system, parties will evolve. Different opinions are good to have around.
Wiggin: There are saviors and heroes in all times and places, our's included. Before you can see that, do not bother trying to combat this "evil". You are worshipping it.

Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

In a one party system, everyone is of the same party, so you vote for a candidate based on his individual merits, instead of because he belongs to such and such party. Then, while he is in office, he will vote however he feels is right, based on what he thinks is right, instead of bickering over party lines.

We could have both. Parties, and independants. If you vote for a party, you choose to vote for the party line, and the manifesto. If you choose to vote for an independant, then you vote because you agree with him/her personally.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

That's all fine and good, but I personally think that it is somewhat foolish to vote for someone just because they belong to a particular political party. I agree that my ideas may not exactly be feasible, but we definitely need to do something to limit their power.

But then again, maybe we could go to a single party system. I mean, every year there are fewer and fewer issues that Republicans and Democrats actually disagree on.

Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

That's all fine and good, but I personally think that it is somewhat foolish to vote for someone just because they belong to a particular political party. I agree that my ideas may not exactly be feasible, but we definitely need to do something to limit their power.

Well, i have to disagree with you here. Political parties have manifestoes, and polocies linked to their political standpoint. You would assume that people who join a political party, and stand for election based on being a member, would share these ideals and policies. If you also agree with these ideals and policies, it would make sense to vote for them. You are voting for that person because they are in the political party, yes, but so you assume you share the values of that party, which you also share.

Of course this is a problem when the only 2 parties are the same. Well then in theory at least you can start a new party. This should be made easier, I think. If the majority of the population of the respective country would not share these values, then the 2 parties would not be so eager to announce them?

There is also the problem of the party not doing what it says in it's manifesto, but there would also be such a problem if you voted for an individual. You just have to vote for someone else next time.

tarigwaemir
Member # 3870

- posted      Profile for tarigwaemir   Email tarigwaemir         Edit/Delete Post 
Replying to suntranafs' question from the last page: When you talked about splitting up states for representative purposes, I was wondering whether you'd actually want to redraw borders and change national governments. Like...hm...I don't know if this was what you had in mind, but say you split up a large country like China into different regions for voting purposes. It would just be for the voting--you wouldn't actually divide China into separate nations, right?

Okay, the whole party thing: the one-party system doesn't sound too feasible to me. The whole reason why we have parties is because we need that organization to financially and politically support its candidates on their campaigns. If there are several candidates from the same party running against each other, the same party organization can't provide that level of support to all of them. Which would force candidates back on their own resources, which in turn breeds various levels of corruption. Of course, you may have something else entirely in mind. The coalition idea sounds really complicated--I know that something like that works in other nations, but I still think it could be simpler. In any case, the founding fathers never intended for there to be political parties--they just sort of evolved. I'm assuming that a party system will similarly evolve within the structure of the World Government and adapt itself to people's demands.

I'm also wondering about the executive and judicial branches. I know that we're focusing on the legislative branches right now, but I just wanted to ask: Generally, are we going to imitate the U.S. government for the other two branches too, or is there something different in mind?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

Humani, yes, Political Parties have manifestos, etc. but how many lay people have read them?

Tari, it is my opinion that dividing a country for voting purposes can eventually lead to those separate voting "states" to lose their sense of national identity, and decide they want to be separate. I realize that the Unites States gives evidence to the contrary to this point, but I think the US is a unique situation.

As to whether the World Government would be based entirely on the US system, I may be mis informed, but I am under the impression that most of the Democracies in the world are based largely on the US Government, which is based largely on the British government. I don't necessarily think that the US Government is the best, but I being a US citizen, am bound to be biased. Show me a better system, and I'll take a look at it.

Humani
Member # 3892

Parties or Independants

Ninja, whether people read the manifesto or not, is surely their choice? But even if they don't then they ahve some idea, of what those parties did last time they were elected. And they have speaches and debates on TV, I think? Also in UK anyway, they different parties post little messages through you door, before elections, with a kind of summary of their ideas and propaganda. Of course, they can't make you read these messages, but anyone who is interested can do.

Also I have no idea of most of the personal opinions of indivuals in the party anyway. So whoever wanted to stand as an individual would also have to try to make people aware of their ideas, maybe post a few little notes.. So maybe people wouldn't bother to read them either?

I think in the world parliament there would have to be alot more than 2 parties, so there would be more to choose from anyway, than just the 2 USA ones. If one non-USA party wanted, perhaps they could set up an american branch of that party, and if some americans would agree they could join, or vote for them. Americans could of course set up or expand one of their existing parties? they could post some notes so, people would know that they exist.

Coalitions

I think what is complicated, and what isn't depends at least partly on what you are used to. If there are 7 or 8 or more parties, is is quite likely that no one of them will get more than 50% of the votes. So then it would make more sense to make coalitions. If one party would get 50%, then of course they don't need a coalition.

Basing the World Government on the US Government

I guess that is because most people here are from the USA. But I have put in some ideas from the European Parliament, too (I'm a European, in case you hadn't noticed already). e.g. coalitions, political groupings, hmmm... having more than 2 main parties.. I'm learning from other posters here about the USA system, maybe you are also learning from me about the European system?

I guess if we would have more people from other countries, we would have a wider range of ideas. So anyone else reading this thread and not posting, please post :-)

Also the juristictive branch, and the..other one, I forgot what you wrote. How does this work then in the USA? In the EU, there is the European Court of Justice, which is the highest court, is this the equivelent? So if in one country you are on trial, and you diagree with the result, you can take it to the European court as a last resort. Normaly it has to do with human/civil rights, e.g. There was a rule in the UK saying homosexual men couldn't be in the military, and it was taken to the EU court, and over ruled as being discrimination.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

The newWG will not be perfect. As we must remember always during its creation, the people will be imperfect. But folks, I'm afraid it's going to have to be better than the U.S., the EU, or both put together. Let's have a U.S. Legislature. And a president elected directly by the people. And a highest court. And a highest law-a.k.a. a Constitution. And probably a good deal more.
Let's clear one thing up. In joining the newWG, nations cease to be nations. They lose their soveriegnty. Their division or unification will be somewhat(At the Very Least) at the discretion of the newWG

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited August 08, 2002).]

Humani
Member # 3892

I think they will still use the words country and nation. In the EU, the "countries" are still countries. There are debates etc about what it means to be a country, or just a state, and what is soverinity.. e.g. complete isolation, no higher laws, your own currency, language, passport, culture? but in normal conversations people still use the word country.. I think that will continue.

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 09, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

The European Union, as far as I have heard is not truly a central government, but in reality an alliance with a shared currency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Individual nations still have soveriegnty over the union.

If this isn't the case, then they may still use the word, but it's meaning has changed.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Time and time again, history has shown that confederations, or weak unions of independent states(small s), are just that: weak. They are fundamentally flawed in that they have no leader. No leader to combat outside dangers, no leader to prevent rebellion and intrastate war (war in between different states of the union). No executive branch; No one to see that the laws are carried out. Most important of all, no leader to make sure that the highest law, the universal law of justice, which does not vary from state to state, is well served.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

blip

Humani
Member # 3892

I was thinking we were just going to make this world government so good, that all the countries would join voluntarily. I wasn't thinking that we were going to force anyone to join. Do you think there should be force?
Who would choose to divide up states, what if they resist?

Also what is the executive branch, and what does it do?

BootNinja
Member # 2296

The executive branch is the President. It also covers law enforcement at every level.

Every country ever formed involved a war of some sort, usually of conquest. I see it as inevitable that in order to create a true world government that we will have to force some countries to join. But by and large, I think that the benefits will be plentiful enough that most countries will join of their own free will.

Humani
Member # 3892

but who is going to decide whther or not to split up china and india into a bunch of small countries? (So other countries don't feel threatened of so much voting power by one country). if china and india, want to stay as a whole country.. they can be one country and one region? so that by the original plan, that their votes in the world parliament are according to population, and their votes in the senate are the same as any other region.

in the world parliament, shouldn't it be individuals voting, so then it's OK if china is one country, becasue individual chinese people can vote differently than each other, so it's still fair. one chinese citizen has the same vote as one american citizen or one european citizen.
then in the world senate, the chinese region would have the same vote overall as the european region or the northamerican region, despite china having more people.

is this OK?

Humani
Member # 3892

Also on Ninja's idea of forcing countries to join if they don't join by themselves.
Surely this will only be possible if the ones who don't want to join are militarily weak. so it's still power by military, not by democracy, choice etc.. What if it was a big country who didn't want to join? USA for example? no one can force the usa to join, becasue the usa has the biggest military. if it was for example afganistan who didn't want to join, then it's easy to force them, but no more fair..

I don't know but somehow I don't like this idea as much.

what is everyone's elses opinion on this?

Locke Wiggin
Member # 3983

- posted      Profile for Locke Wiggin           Edit/Delete Post 
"If it was for example afganistan who didn't want to join, then it's easy to force them, but no more fair.."

Sometimes, in order to create peace, we must go to war. Just look at WWI when the allies had to fight the axis, and then again in WWII when the allies had to fight Hitler's German army. In the end, because the allies won, peace prevailed throughout most of the world. Sometimes, you have to fight fire with fire.

"What if it was a big country who didn't want to join? USA for example? no one can force the usa to join, becasue the usa has the biggest military."

Although the USA may have the most technologically advanced military machines, China has the largest military. And yes, herein lies the problem. Large military powers will not submit to each other. Every large military power would want someone of THEIR nationality to be made Hegemon and Hegemons are human, they will do things to favour their own country, whether it's conciously or subconciously.

"Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream of things that never were, and say why not."

[This message has been edited by Locke Wiggin (edited August 12, 2002).]

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

"If it was for example afganistan who didn't want to join, then it's easy to force them, but no more fair.."
Sometimes, in order to create peace, we must go to war. Just look at WWI when the allies had to fight the axis, and then again in WWII when the allies had to fight Hitler's German army. In the end, because the allies won, peace prevailed throughout most of the world. Sometimes, you have to fight fire with fire.

But if afganistan wasn't trying to hurt anyone, they only didn't want to be in the world government, would that be a reason to bomb them again?

quote:

"What if it was a big country who didn't want to join? USA for example? no one can force the usa to join, becasue the usa has the biggest military."

Although the USA may have the most technologically advanced military machines, China has the largest military.

OK, biggest is the wrong world, I mean most powerful, the most nuclear weapons and other stuff which you can use to kill loads of people, and to threaten countries with. But whoever it is china or USA, it would be the same. If one power would say to every decision that they don't agree with, "change this decision, or maybe we will bomb you" that is not democratic? If it would only be binding to the countries who have joined, then maybe they give in their weapons? or would this way no-one join? maybe that is why it has never happened.

quote:

And yes, herein lies the problem. Large military powers will not submit to each other. Every large military power would want someone of THEIR nationality to be made Hegemon and Hegemons are human, they will do things to favour their own country, whether it's conciously or subconciously.

if eeryone wants their nationality or their religion to be hedgemon, then it should be a coalition. but Since half the world is not of one nationality or one religion, I don't think anyone nation can decide this on their own. It is by voting. Everyone realises that if they only get the votes of one country, they will not win. so they have to make themselves acceptable to the majority. ie make fair policies, and people will realise that they are not so nationalistic that they will only do things for their own country. Also the president cannot decide on things by him/her self. The parliament and the senate also have to pass laws, so then it will be all countries (well, regions) who agree.

Locke Wiggin
Member # 3983

"But if afganistan wasn't trying to hurt anyone, they only didn't want to be in the world government, would that be a reason to bomb them again?"

If, by bombing them and creating a world government it could guarantee peace, would it not be worth it? Sure tens of thousands of people would die in the process, but would it not be worth it to sacrifice tens of thousands of people in exchange for the hundreds of thousands of lives that would be lost if the world continued to war with itself under separate governments?

"If one power would say to every decision that they don't agree with, "change this decision, or maybe we will bomb you" that is not democratic? If it would only be binding to the countries who have joined, then maybe they give in their weapons? or would this way no-one join? maybe that is why it has never happened."

I believe you have hit the nail on the head and I believe I briefly mentioned it in my previous post. No one is willing to give up their weapons/military, no one is willing to let someone else rule them, no one is willing to share power. That is and will be the downfall of the human race. Everyone is suspicious of the motives of their neighbours. Threatening a foreign country isn't democratic, it's communistic, which isn't what a world government would want. Until every country is willing to give up their military, is willing to give up their power, a world government is impossible. Without trust, we can't possibly work together and as long as their are weapons, trust will never truly exist.

"If everyone wants their nationality or their religion to be hedgemon, then it should be a coalition. but Since half the world is not of one nationality or one religion, I don't think anyone nation can decide this on their own. It is by voting. Everyone realises that if they only get the votes of one country, they will not win. so they have to make themselves acceptable to the majority. ie make fair policies, and people will realise that they are not so nationalistic that they will only do things for their own country. Also the president cannot decide on things by him/her self. The parliament and the senate also have to pass laws, so then it will be all countries (well, regions) who agree."

Politics alone should teach us that this will not work. What people say and what people do are sometimes, very different. People will promise all kinds of wonderful things in order to bring themselves to power, but once there, they don't always follow up on their promises. As for senates, are the U.S senates not proof enough? If the President wants it, it often isn't denied. Unless the world can come up with a new form of government, another means of governing, than the dream of a world governemnt will never be possible.

"Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream of things that never were, and say why not."

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

"If one power would say to every decision that they don't agree with, "change this decision, or maybe we will bomb you" that is not democratic? If it would only be binding to the countries who have joined, then maybe they give in their weapons? or would this way no-one join? maybe that is why it has never happened."

I believe you have hit the nail on the head and I believe I briefly mentioned it in my previous post. No one is willing to give up their weapons/military, no one is willing to let someone else rule them, no one is willing to share power. That is and will be the downfall of the human race. Everyone is suspicious of the motives of their neighbours.

But it depends who they view as "someone else", if you know what I mean. Already we are rules by "someone else", e.g. you (if yourér American) by Bush, and me as British by Tony Blair, who is a separate individual. but they are only connected by being the same nationality. Also Britian is in the EU, so also ruled by the commision and parliament in Brussels. In this example you can see what I mean. For me, this is OK, because when I think of Europe, I don't thing, oh they're foreigners, I don't want to be rules by foreigners. Bur for other people they feel the rest of Europe is foreign. I don't know why there is this difference, but there is. So it will be the same for the rest of the world I think. are they fellow human's? are they foreigners? (I mean maybe they are both, but which is more important?). Are they Us, or Them? More and more there can be communication and travel to other parts of the world, so we will feel closer, I think. Then we will more likely to see similarities, than differences, do you understand? Also countries are not independant, each country affects the other countries, e.g. trade, currencies, pollution, wars...Then we won't all say, I don't want my country to be ruled by foreigners, we'll say we're all human beings, and we don't want war.

quote:

Threatening a foreign country isn't democratic, it's communistic, which isn't what a world government would want.

??? communism is to do with economics, it means the factors of production are owned by the state. It doesn's have anything to do with war one way or the other?

quote:

Until every country is willing to give up their military, is willing to give up their power, a world government is impossible. Without trust, we can't possibly work together and as long as their are weapons, trust will never truly exist.

How do you think we can get more trust? Like now I don't think we are worried about European countries attacking each other, despite that world war 1 and 2 happened. Also I don't think USA will attack EU, and EU will not attack USA. there is some trust. how can this be extended?

quote:

"If everyone wants their nationality or their religion to be hedgemon, then it should be a coalition. but Since half the world is not of one nationality or one religion, I don't think anyone nation can decide this on their own. It is by voting. Everyone realises that if they only get the votes of one country, they will not win. so they have to make themselves acceptable to the majority. ie make fair policies, and people will realise that they are not so nationalistic that they will only do things for their own country. Also the president cannot decide on things by him/her self. The parliament and the senate also have to pass laws, so then it will be all countries (well, regions) who agree."

Politics alone should teach us that this will not work. What people say and what people do are sometimes, very different. People will promise all kinds of wonderful things in order to bring themselves to power, but once there, they don't always follow up on their promises. As for senates, are the U.S senates not proof enough? If the President wants it, it often isn't denied. Unless the world can come up with a new form of government, another means of governing, than the dream of a world governemnt will never be possible.

I don't know why, would the senate pass laws if they didn't agree? Is it because the President can see how each voted, and won't let them stand again? Then maybe they should have secret ballot, and the presedent can't chhose who stands? Or is it becasue he always persudaes them? or is it because they want to make USA look like they all agree?

What proposal for a new form of governing?

quote:

[/quote]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Let us try to argue more with logic and clarity, less with length.

On attacking countries that refuse to join: The ends never justify the means. If we create a war simply because of the newWG and attack a free and peacefull country that refuses to join because of its people's choice, then we destroy a stronghold of the principles we seek to apply. My prediction is that there will be few such, and that, though it may take time, all will join if the example be good. If, however, tyrants need overthrown or wars must be stopped anyway, and the only method we see to do so is war, then by all means... fight with the militants, though not the civilians.

Wiggin, You have yet to pose a convincing argument against the fundamentals of the United States Senate, I ask that you please do so before apparently assuming that the latter are not suitable as part of the foundation of the newWG. In this thread, as well as far more ancient sources, arguments have been posed for the positive.

Locke Wiggin
Member # 3983

In response to Humani:

Yes, communism is, to an extent economics, however, was it not Hitler's Germany which eliminated any and all possible threat to their power (murdering or imprisoning people from other parties)? Was it not the communistic Chinese who shot their own people when they tried to riot for their rights in the Tienanmun Square? I can't seem to remember any democratic countries doing any of this. So in a way, threatening other countries is communistic.

In response to suntranafs:

Yes, bombing the militants is always a better choice than bombing civilians. However, there is always the possibility that the civilians thoughts and beliefs mirror those of the governmen. What then? Leave them be? Could it honestly be called a World Government if so many countries decided that they didn't want to join? Wouldn't it be just like creating one large country to loom over the little ones?

As for your request, I will heed it until such time as I can find sufficient proof of my beliefs... if I can.

- Some men see things as they are, and say why. I dream of things that never were, and say why not.

Cavalier
Member # 3918

- posted      Profile for Cavalier           Edit/Delete Post 
Just out of curiousity, has anyone ever heard of a tricameral legistlature? (As opposed to a bicameral legistlature like the US congress) The thought just crossed my mind. It would be interesting to see on a world stage I think. One house could represent proportional to population. (Like the US House of Represenatives) Another house could represent the interest of current world countries. (Similar to the US senate, with a set number of represenatives for each country) Finally, a third house could represent entire regions much like the second house described above. I'm not advocating this type of government though or saying its workable or practical, I'm just throwing out an idea that happened to cross my mind.
Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humani
Member # 3892

quote:

Yes, communism is, to an extent economics, however, was it not Hitler's Germany which eliminated any and all possible threat to their power (murdering or imprisoning people from other parties)? Was it not the communistic Chinese who shot their own people when they tried to riot for their rights in the Tienanmun Square? I can't seem to remember any democratic countries doing any of this. So in a way, threatening other countries is communistic.

I don't want to turn this in a discussion, on what is communism, but :
1-Hitler wasn't a communist. He even killed all the communists he could along with the jews, and any other political party.
2-Your point on China, yes China is officially communist, and they have a bad human right record, and no free speach. I don't think the last 2 are necessarily part of communism. for example before in USA black people didn't have so much rights as white people, is this because it was capitalist? I don't think they are related.

If the governemnt will refuse to allow other beliefs then you get such a situation, whatever the beliefs that the government is enforcing. Because not everyone will agree. That is why we have a democracy, not why we have capitalism. Capitalism or communism are economics, democracy or non-democracy is.. something else.
It would be possible to have a democratic communist government, if there were a free election and people choose the communist party. In china's case that didn't happen. Likewise it would be possible to have a non-democratic capitalist government.

I have no prove of these, so if you disagree, maybe we just agree to disagree?

Humani
Member # 3892

We could have 3 Houses. like Cavalier said, one for population elected reps, one for one rep from each country who is recognised by the UN (?? would this still exist), and one for say 4 or 5 reps per world region. So for any law to pass it would have to be a majority of the world population, the majority of countries, and the majority of world regions. Then it would just take longer.
So if I understand the term correctly, these 2 or 3 houses together make the "legislative branch". "Executive branch" = president + police? Does the president just be the leader of the largest party in the world parliament, or is this a separate election?

Juristic branch = world high court. On what sort of crimes is this for? Is this mostly for human rights, war crimes type stuff, or also normal crime such as theft, murder, rape that happen in every country?

Does constitution set out things like basic human rights, and how the government is elected, and how much poert is as each level of government e.g. world level, regional level, national level?

What about taxes, what about military, what about develoment aid? What about a single currency? Do you think we should have these things?

BootNinja
Member # 2296

ever heard the expression beating a dead horse? we've kinda done that to this thread. We could go on indefinitely covering ever minute detail of the world government and in the end we'll never agree. I'm starting to see the futility of it all.

Please disregard this post. I'm in a funk tonite and will probably feel better in the morning.

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited August 15, 2002).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

I still think the bigger countries will need split up, but this tri-cameral legislature idea might not be a bad one. Let's have no law respecting any PARTICULAR party, majority or otherwise. The supreme court of the world must have the option of jurisdiction over any case that it chooses else it is not truly supreme. For more info on a good start for this branch, read Article III of the U.S. constitution.
Humani's got the right idea about the World Constitution, I think, except that the individual States(Or City-States, as the case may be) should have their own constitutions and laws, while being inferior to federal constitution and in most cases, lesser federal law.

Currency+capitalism neccessary for any kind of efficient system. Currency might as well be single= greater feeling of national unity + nation convenience. Taxes absolutely neccessary to a non-dictatorship government. No land taxes at all. Period. Income taxes to the rich parabolically more than to the poor. Luxury tax. No further information on this at this time. Humani, what EXACTLY do you mean by "development aid"?
Comparatively Small military. Civilians armed and educated on arms use- required by law. Permanent national draft- all (able bodied) people serve some small amount of their lives in the military. A comparatively very small number of standing miltary personel.

Humani
Member # 3892

By development aid. I mean aid to certain countries/places, to help them restructure, and improve their economy, infrastructure, education etc. But not loans, actual aid, from the taxes collected by the world government. This way the poorer areas improve their economy so they can better fit into to the world economy. Like more efficient farming, so they can compete, or whatever area they are producing in. Most likely to affect Africa. Also are we going to have reasonably free movement of people (as well as goods, capital), since it will be basically one country? People will probably rather stay with their family and community. But if life is really bad there, and they have no money they can move to find jobs. The development aid is also good for creating jobs in areas with high unemployment, so everyone doesn't move.
I think this will be even more important if we have one currency. To in some way balance inflation and economy accross the different regions of the world, or how do you set effective interest rates?

Why do we need military draft? If people don't want to do this, can they do some other kind of training/service, such as first aid training. Anyway, soldiers who have chosen the military as a career are probably better than drafts if a lot of people don't want to be there. Who are they going to fight anyway?

Humani
Member # 3892

Probably the military is more to fight say terrorism or something? and to help the police sometimes, when they need more people. To fight terrorism, they probably need even more detailed training, and high skill. So i think this makes even less sense to have a draft, of many many new soldiers, and hardly any well trained and experienced soldier. It would be better the other way around I think. Training and skill will be more important than numbers.
Cavalier
Member # 3918

here's my grand plan folks...

Structure: The world gov. has a tricameral legistlature. (described in an earlier post)An executive branch with a president elected to a 6 year term (2 term max, no exceptions!) by popular election. The pres. presides over law enforcement and other federal agencies (transportation, energy) similar to the American president. The judicial branch has trial courts and appeals courts at every level of government (local, state, region, global) except at the global level. The global level only has a supreme appeals court (similar to the US Supreme Court) that can be used rarely to use trial procedure by general referendum (a vote). They are selected by the president and confirmed by the regional house and serve life terms. All regions and country-states will be required to draw up and ratify constitution based on and acknowledging the global model.

Military/Police: By far the stickiest situation. the police will be set up like in the US (i'm borrowing heavily if you didn't notice ) with a police force on each level of governmet that has jurisdiction over several of the agencies beneath it. ( If this is unclear to anyone, say from outside the US, say so and I'll clarify.) the military will also be available on each level of government but with a restriction; the # of active service military members cannot exceed 5% of the population that it is serving. For example, let's say Country A (population: 70,000,000) is in region B (pop.: 350,000,000) and in world C (world pop.:8 billion) Coutry A could field a military max of 3,500,000, Region b a military of 17,500,000, and the global army a military of 400,000,000. No army can be coerced ino aiding the one above it, but they may ally themselves tempoarily for mutual benefit if they so choose. This allows the global government to have some control over "rogue states" but not to enforce it's will over the entire world at once. Military spending is limited to 20%of the the administration budget or the cost of equipping each soldier in the army with basic equipment (to be defined by the legistlature) whichever is higher. Military research is not to be secret and must be made publicly available at each step of its development. Also, a draft is illegal at any level of government except in dire emergency, in which case it must pass all the global houses by a 2/3 majority and be approved by the president. The executive branch of any level of government may in times of emergency enforce a "police action' or martial law for a maximum of 2 weeks. Thereafter any further use of the military must be approved by a majority in the respective legistlature. any abuse of this executive power is grounds for removal as determined by a 2/3 vote in the houses of the respective legistlature. All (physical) nuclear arms must be surrendered to the global government but this does not include firing mechanisms, passwords, schematics, etc. of said weapons.

Economy: Free trade will prevail except at the global level, which may levy export/import taxes between regions and nothing else and so long as it is equal across regions. if the global legislature so chooses it may impose an import/export tax if a nation is struggling because of this free trade policy, but this power may not be exercised as a punitive measure. Any type (excluding trade taxes) or amt. of taxes may be levied by any branch of government as it's legistlature and executive officer deem fit. the legislature may approriate foreign aid/loans/welfare as it sees fit.

This as far as I've thought it through so far. please ignore grammar/spelling/capitalization as I had to type this quickly, I made the attempt. if anyone has comments/improvements (this doesn't mean baseless criticism) please share it. it seems like it would work reasonably well I believe

[This message has been edited by Cavalier (edited August 17, 2002).]

Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Cavalier: Excellent summary, for the most part. I would disagree with you over the idea that "Any type (excluding trade taxes) or amt. of taxes may be levied by any branch of government as it's legistlature and executive officer deem fit". Some taxes should be restricted. Government(s) would soon be levying 'tea taxes', not to mention water and air taxes.
How DOES our police force system work???
With Regards to the miltary, despite any 'national guard' equivalent, I suggest that the majority of the armed forces should be 100% federal(not from different regions, States, or provinces).

[This message has been edited by suntranafs (edited August 17, 2002).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

To Humani, in defense of the 'National Draft Theory':
As I intended to imply earlier, This theory would rely somewhat on the law that requires every adult (or at the very least, every able bodied male) to own and be fully aware of how to use a (at least) gun (WELL). Incidently, this law should also severly limit the need for a police force. Thus the idea that the people entering the service would be untrained is unfounded. As I also intended to imply, there would be a few 'career' service members, who would be Highly elite, more so than anything we have now.
In response to "If people don't want to do this, can they do some other kind of training/service, such as first aid training" Yes! Absolutely. There are many many faces to increasingly modern militaries.

P.S. Humani: Certainly poorer regions should recieve huge amounts of aid, at least at first, to get them up to speed. As for restricted immigration, there is no place for it within a free country.

Cavalier
Member # 3918

quote:
I would disagree with you over the idea that "Any type (excluding trade taxes) or amt. of taxes may be levied by any branch of government as it's legistlature and executive officer deem fit"

I believe in theory in the US currently any tax on anything can be levied. I agree that i wouldn't want my water taxed, but I also doubt an elected offical would vote for a water/air/other crazy tax because it wouldn't be too popular around election time. Also, I hope the executive has enough sense to veto (a power i neglected to mention) something that senseless.

quote:
How DOES our police force system work???

I'm no expert, but this is my general understanding of the US police enforcement. you start w/ local cops who have jurisdiction over a town/county. they can arrest anyone within their (and ususally a few of the surrounding) towns also. their law enforcement power ends there though. Now say some maniac is driving across a state at 200mph hitting old women and children. local police dont have the power or means to capture such a person so they call on the state police force. The state police can set up roadblocks and pursue this criminal up until the state's boundry. Now for instance say a kidnapping took place across state lines. the state police (with some exceptions) will call on federal authorities because they have jurisdiction over the entire country. theoretically a global police force or organization would be called on to catch fugitives across national boundries, but i know of no such organization (except maybe the US army, but thats hardly an offical police force and generally they're not welcome). Also, each branch of police force (county/town/state/federal) has a district attorney/attorney general who coordinates prosecution of criminals within their jurisdiction. (Wow that was long)

quote:
With Regards to the miltary, despite any 'national guard' equivalent, I suggest that the majority of the armed forces should be 100% federal(not from different regions, States, or provinces).

I agree with you totally in principle, but i'm looking at this from realistic beginnings. I think initially no nation would want to give up its right to defend itself and be at the mercy of a looming global powerhouse. Something catastrophic would have to occur for this to be possible. Initially, I think each level of government should be balanced against each other militarily so no one state can conquer a bunch of others but also the global government can't lay a beating on some small nation that dissents from it. Hopefully like in the US (man the founding fathers had a good playbook ) each state/region will have some power, (in the form of militias) not enough to attack each other devestatingly but enough to resist federal tyranny until it becomes taboo and risks too much public outcry for the federal government to even deploy troops on its own soil. Also, hopefully by such a point the states will have disbanded enough military power so that a real "standing army" is not needed, a beefed up police force will suffice in its place.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to argue. just trying to clarify my thinking a bit, reason it out you could say.

(again, sorry about many errors)

Humani
Member # 3892

Hi Cavelier,
quote:

Economy: Free trade will prevail except at the global level, which may levy export/import taxes between regions and nothing else and so long as it is equal across regions. if the global legislature so chooses it may impose an import/export tax if a nation is struggling because of this free trade policy, but this power may not be exercised as a punitive measure. Any type (excluding trade taxes) or amt. of taxes may be levied by any branch of government as it's legistlature and executive officer deem fit. the legislature may approriate foreign aid/loans/welfare as it sees fit.

Just to understand a bit more, do the regions or the global decide whether to have import taxes between regions?
For example the current "trade war" is it legal or not in this system?
e.g. the Europe Region doesn't want hormone beef or GM food. so they put on a tax called hormone tax and one called GM tax, is this legal, because they can tax anything they like (also any hormone or GM produced in the Europe Region)? the North American Region doesn't want foreign steel, so it puts an import steel tax, is this legal, how much do they have to be "struggling" and who decides if they are? Also the sanctions against Iraq are illegal right, because they are a punitive measure (Also Iraq in now in Middle East Region)? (Just using these examples, because I can't be bothered to make some up).

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 19, 2002).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

So, Cavalier, you think we should settle for a confederation at first, even though our experience tells us that it will not last? With all due respect to the founding fathers, once they got the country together, they could have done anything, and if they knew what we know now, do you really think they would have bothered with a confederation? I, personally, am an ambitious, direct person; so naturally my belief is that whatever the goal, we shoud go straight for it, that we should settle for nothing less than our best idea of perfection. And then, if perchance, we fail or cease somewhere along the way, at least we will have tried, and some man of later times will see our dreams and plans, take up our cry as his own, and succeed in making our near-perfection a reality. Thus the ethical evolution of the human race, that I want to be a part of, occurs. My opinion only.
Sorry for the intrusion, Humani.

Speaker for the Dead430
Member # 4021

- posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead430   Email Speaker for the Dead430         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I'm new here, but have anyone ever thought of the constitutional democracy of Canada as a system of government in the world stage??...just a suggestion *hides in bomb shelter*

And second point, to unite all nations in earth under one government?! (It was somewhere upper, in the last page i think) That'll hardly be possible, military, or diplomatically (just in my opinion). That'll just create more problems, either religous, economical, racial (oo..that'll be big), and more. Wouldn't it?
The only country in the world, (or the only one i can think of), which is even considered 'multi-cultural' is Canada, and it still has large problems with racism, dicrimination...
Now just multiply that scenrio (is that how u spell it?) with all the citizens on this planet, and throw in millions of terriost bombings and such, deep hatred spawned from thousands of years ago, and you got the world under one government....Just a thought.

Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

maybe if you were to describe the Canadian Govt. I would think that it would work. but being an american probably not. I think that will be the greatest obstacle. Every country will want to base the world govt. on their home govt.
Cavalier
Member # 3918

humani:
1)The global gov. decides the import taxes between regions. the taxes are equal between all regions, so you get hit with x% import tax whether you get your steel from europe or america or asia, it doesn't make a difference. The regional govs and all those below them can't levy import/export taxes because it's a power expressly denied to them (see original post, economy paragraph)

2) A trade war isn't possible because the global government has to have an equal tariff rate around the world on a given product and the regions have no say in tariffs whatsoever. The best that could be done in a situation like the EU's GM/hormone problem would be for the European regional government to outright ban the importation of GM/hormone food becasue this isn't technically setting a tariff (something they aren't allowed to do)

3)A struggling nation would be given there preferential tax status by the global legistlature, thus they would also define "struggling". My hope is that most countries would be hesitant to give tax advantages to another country so they would think hard about who is really struggling and who is just doing bad at the moment.

4) I can't think of why you'd want to deal with economic sanctions. if the leaders of some region/country did something worthy of an economic sanction they could just be arrested and tried becuase a global gov. would have jurisdiction over them. regardless, the sanctions againt Iraq would be legal becasue they don't involve the adjustment of tariffs. only adjusting tariffs as a punitive measure would be illegal. stopping trade outright as a punitive measure is perfectly legal in theory. The barring of punitive tariffs is to protect rich countries. (e.g. if Cuba finds itself struggling to import wheat you lower the cuban wheat import tariff, you don't raise ever other country's wheat export tax except to Cuba so they can only sell wheat to Cuba because that would be punitive to them)

* the basic idea here is to allow regions to only control the amt. of goods that come in/out of their region, not the tax cost of what goes in/out of their region because such an economy has greater freedom worldwide (in theory)

Sun: Firstly, i don't think the government described above is a confederation just because each part of it maintains some military power. Typically a confederation lacks any centralized power, a centralization which is apparent in the said government's elected president and legistlature of the global government.

Secondly, I disagree confederations aren't useful/don't last. The Articles of Confederation eveolved into the United States as we know it today, one of the most powerful and prosperous nations on earth. The Rhine Confederation (most of it anyway) became the nation of Germany, also one of the strongest nations in history. The Greeks had a system that could be called a confederation and it worked just peachy for them because their culture still influeneces the world today. It's my belief that it's worth taking the time to make a confederation (more of a federation in my opinion but I digress...) that will evolve into a strong and fair central gov. than to install some enormous central power immediately that the average person will resent and possibly hate becasue it has suddenly stolen their sovreignty. i don't care if I'm around for the ethical eveolution of the human race if when i die i know i've increased the chance of it happening for future genrations. Quite honestly, i think that if humanity fails at this point in the game there won't be any possibility of going back and fixing our problems because we'll have annihlated ourselves in the process. My opinion(s).

[This message has been edited by Cavalier (edited August 19, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Cavalier (edited August 19, 2002).]

Humani
Member # 3892

Cavelier:why do we need import/export taxes anyway? Why can't we have free trade?

suntranafs, it's not just my thread, i wasn't even here at the beginning... you can "intrude" when ever you like..

Speaker, Ninja: Yes, also can you explain the canadian government to me?

Also we need a new World Bank (not the one now), to set interest rates for the global currency.

Do you think we should have laws for the environment?

What should we do with such "disputed territories" or whatever to call them, like Palestine, Northern Ireland, Chechnya, Taiwan, Kashmir, Northern Iraq/Kurdistan.

Is there just more pressure for peace talks to the sides directly concerned, or more? Who decides on such issues?

Does the world parliament vote on the solution? Do the people living in the territory vote? Is there a standard proceedure, or a type of law on how to deal with such situations?
Then after the current conflicts are solved, then the borders fixed forever?

This is the most important reason for the world government, to avoid such conflicts, and deaths. So how do we do that?

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 20, 2002).]

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Humani brings up a subject relevant to the the discussion of the redistribution of territories. If we were to group some countries together, and split others up, we would have the same problems as we have now in the middle east where all those country lines were drawn politically instead of ethnically. but i Digress.
Humani
Member # 3892

I don't think we should split countries up (unless they want that themselves). I thought we were going to have 3 houses now, one for population, one for countries, and one for regions. So different sized countries is OK.

The countries should have some choice on which region to be in e.g. if Pakistan wants to be in South Asia with India, or with Middle East, because it is next to both, similar for Turkey if they want to be in Middle East or Europe. Or Egypt if they want to be in Middle East or Africa... Belarus and Ukrain if they want to be with Europe or in Russia's group. and other "border states".

although I don't know what to do about Isreal, if they will choose to be in NorthAmerica region.... is that allowed?

But of these "disputed territories" I don't know what is the most fair kind of proceedure/law to create a solution. Everyone has different opinions on what they are part of, but in the end who should get to say? Do you think the world parliament should vote? Maybe if the people living in the region have a vote. and then the results made available to the world parliament to vote on it? There could also be votes on it, for the other directly involved states, and the results made available to the parliament. Should there be investigations etc, for the parliament to help them decide how to vote? Should the representatives of the region(s) involved get extra votes? After the set up of the world govenment is is possible for countries to register that they wish to call somewhere a disputed territory, and get new investigations/votes?
Simililary is is possible for a country to change which region it is in?

[This message has been edited by Humani (edited August 20, 2002).]

suntranafs
Member # 3318

So, Cavalier, you remain unconvinced that confederations aren't usefull? So be it. Perhaps you're right. Whatever. If you look at the examples you provided, obviously they do not last. There are three basic 'layouts', if you will, of government: Unitary, Federation, and Confederation. If you choose confederation(100% power to the States), you can throw the national taxes, laws, executive branch, and anything else out the window. If the United States had stayed a confederation, had the making of the constitution not been desperately, quickly forced through to the strife torn, new born country, we would have ended up just like the vast majority of independent countries of the Americas. In case you didn't know, America never really started its Big upward climb until after the civil war when the national government gained even more power, and perhaps as importantly, proved the power that it had.
Confederation is just like anarchy, except that the States are self governing instead of the individuals. The nationals can order around all day, but so long as the States have the army, all they have to say is "make me" "why should I" and "maybe later". So, in my humble opinion, confederation is still out.
Now, let's look at Unitary(100% power to the national gov., no States at all). Example: The United Kingdom. They are a democracy. Looks great, right? Well, yeah, except that they're also, when last comes to last, a really tiny country. People who live in different places will have different situations, that's fact. They need different governments to deal with their situations. But if there's a government, somebody's got to keep it in check.
Thus, a federation: Enough power to the states to keep the feds from getting out of hand and help run things on their particular place, and enough power to the feds to lead the country and keep it together. The great compromise of confederation and unitary; a system of checks and balances. I'm sorry folks, that I'm not offering a more enlightened argument, but it just seems so obvious to me. Logical...

Speaker for the Dead430
Member # 4021

- posted      Profile for Speaker for the Dead430   Email Speaker for the Dead430         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just curious, how old are you guys? I mean I'm 14 and dont' really know alot about this stuff, how bout you guys? ?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.