FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where is our Locke? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Where is our Locke?
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
You're point is very pertinent to this topic. I must reflect, however, that it is very hard to give such trust in leadership over the internet. Do you think that in the presence of this many inteligent people(There Are Many), such trust barriers can be overcome?
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyle Altis
Member # 3597

- posted      Profile for Kyle Altis   Email Kyle Altis         Edit/Delete Post 
Might that not perhaps depend upon whether what is posted on the Internet tends more toward substance or toward appearance -- and whether we, observing, agree?
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Certainly. Five or six of us were having an enlightened discussion, not arguing, on this thread for a while there. Anyone up for forming a coalition?
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto. Thank you, sutranafs.

I think it would be important to put forward a new topic.

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

- posted      Profile for Hero's Blood           Edit/Delete Post 
Hero finds the power of solitude

I believe the time has come to address some issues. All of my conversation has been commenting on the prevailing theme of the thread. When I entered the conversation the thread was discussing the use of a fourth branch of government more specifically the military. This has nothing to do with where our Locke so I thought that it was acceptable in commenting on the conditions required, if any, to bring about hegemony governed by a single individual. Therefore how is it my responsibility that the thread is “off topic”? Why would you even want to stay “on topic”? If you truly want to expand your ideas you must explore all avenues to fruition.

quote:
(Incidently, no offense, but Lao Tzu's english voice is full of it).

Even though I shouldn’t, I take extreme offense at this. Just for some prospective how would you like it if I said Jesus Spanish voice is full of it? I think you should avoid attacking religion whenever possible and I mean no disrespect to anyone who follows the teachings of Jesus, I was simply using it as an example.

quote:
Decent men detest an avoid weapons? A common fib of our times.

Do to the fact that this was written centuries ago I’m pretty sure that it isn’t simply a “common fib of our times”

As for you Leto, you say I am not engaging in discourse and simply making statements. You, as what appears to be the resident English professor here, should know that all communication is done in four different ways statements (declaratory), questions (interrogative), exclamations (exclamatory), and commands. So would you have me DEMAND that you accept what I say as fact? Or equally suitable how about if I phrase all of my answers in a form of a question?

quote:
I don't think he'd be so bad if he learned the simple art of communication. He may still be off-base, but he'd learn a whole lot more easily.

Communication is the free exchange of ideas. My ideas are painfully clear as I have stated them, and then stated them numerous more times for the people too slow to catch it the first time around. You say that I’m simply waiting for the next time to make a statement. Here’s a news flash for you its an Internet forum if I really wanted I could post a statement anytime I wanted. However the very fact that I WAIT shows that I’m carefully considering the points and the fact is I AM CONSIDERING the other points. You say I would learn a whole lot more easily, well that begs the question learn what? You give short glib replies with absolutely no support, so are you saying you want me to begin emulating your writing style? Please impart your knowledge so that I may partake of the endless bounty.

I’d like to apologize in advance, I regret writing this even as I do it. The points I bring up still stand but I’m certain there was a better way to go about making them. Well, I never claimed to be enlightened so I guess it’s no big deal.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero questions the morality of the quest

That said, here is a thought for everyone here. You’ve given moral grounds on what obligations the “Locke” would owe you, but I believe the more important question is that should this “Locke” arise, what moral obligations would we have to him or her? I believe our loyalty would be the most basic obligation, but what else would we be willing to sacrifice? Would we really be able to accept his or her leadership if it didn’t ALWAYS cater to exactly what we wanted? The main question of this thread seems to be “the world is so evil. Where is our savior?” . Perhaps the real question should be “Because the world seems so evil, can we have a savior?”.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Look, buddy, I for one am not your enemy. I realize I did not back-up my statement, "Lao Tzu's english voice is full of it" I did not have time right then to be anything but brief. Incidently, though I do not know spanish, I also happen to think that Jesus Christ's english voice is, by and large, full of it. Much is often lost in a mediocre translation by scholars who like to hear themselves talk, as I fear(not sure) you may(not an intended insult). People who are less than great try to imitate and translate the WORDS of a great man, and they are just that: Words. Meaningless if taken at face value. If you look deeply though, you see that Lao Tzu's original argument is not some new age crap about trashing the second ammendment. Rather he tells us to beware that the power in having weapons, like any other strictly physical/mental power can help us to corrupt ourselves if we are not careful. "It is not the sword that makes the warrior".
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero confronts the warrior

You seem to know something about Lao Tzu. Well if you know anything regarding his life then you should know that he was adverse to weapons, fighting, and just causing pain in general. He even left his comfortable post as a minister to go out into the wilderness. Had it not been for the gate guard who stopped him the Tao Te Ching would have never even been written.

If you’ve read the Tao Te Ching then you would know that in chapter 31 he says weapons are not to be used except when absolutely necessary. Therefore it is not unreasonable to assume that Lao Tzu would have approved of the removal of the necessity and thus the need for weapons themselves.

Finally, you mean to tell me that you have read both the Tao Te Ching and the Bible in Chinese and Hebrew respectively?

Abyss
Member # 3086

Abyss Draws His Sword

"...Therefore how is it my responsibility that the thread is “off topic”?..."

Why do you seem to think that the thread revolves around you? We, I, never implied that it was YOUR fault in any way, shape or form. Don't take responsibility for our thread.

I proposed that we talk about the Fourth Branch, and now the topic is exhausted, so I propose we talk about another aspect of Our World Government.

Don't insult us. Don't presume that WE are insulting you. We welcome you into our conversation.

But your welcome, in my opinion, is wearing thin.

-Abyss

[This message has been edited by Abyss (edited June 08, 2002).]

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Hero stands firm and so lose ground

I'm terribly sorry, please excuse me. I’m so often attacked it’s hard for me not to be on the defensive.

I did not specifically say that YOU accused me but your pronoun of “we” is erroneous.

quote:
Well he certainly is good at getting a thread off topic....

quote:
yeah, back to the old subject eh?

Please explain to me how this does not imply it is my fault that the thread is off topic. As I stated earlier I do not take responsibility for getting the thread “off topic” because every person has his or her own volition of which I have no control.

As for me insulting you. Except for the last post that I apologized within the post, I have not insulted anyone. It is however difficult to view Leto’s comments as anything resembling constructive criticism. You say I’m welcome but I’ve almost worn it out. Let’s be honest, that is more then a little insulting and you know it. I contributed to the conversation. I asked about the moral obligations that people would have to the “Locke”. I would be happy to discuss that or whatever subject arises and I only continue to discuss myself because many people continue to bring it up. Believe me (or don’t) I would be much more content if I was not the subject of anyone’s posts.

Kyle Altis
Member # 3597

- posted      Profile for Kyle Altis   Email Kyle Altis         Edit/Delete Post 
I had not originally intended to back-respond: it had seemed to me that the discussion’s momentum had moved beyond what I had wished to address. As it seems to have stalled, however, it might be appropriate now to revisit a few points. Is it really so important to us to assign fault, here -- and thereby evade any responsibility ourselves? Collective non-responsibility … the basis of a good democratic government

Incidentally, I missed the part in this thread where it had been generally decided that hegemony would best be served by a “two house legislature modeled after the Senate and the House of Representatives in the U.S.” There were, however, a few statements of opinion to this effect -- although it does seem to me that the focus upon this choice is little more than global extrapolation of what is familiar, rather than what is necessarily best. Yet since this part of the discussion touches on the relevance of popular representation and democracy to effective hegemonic government, I will not elaborate upon it here.

I begin by briefly reiterating Dan_raven’s three points since they preempt much of what I would otherwise have written (and I can certainly appreciate the time limitations!):

1. The title, be it dictator or president or hegemon, is irrelevant. What matters is the power granted the leader and the power taken by the leader. (Some might also add “who grants the power”.)

2. “What we want in a Hegemon is a divine king able to force wrong doers into doing right. How do we define ‘right’ .” Since emigration from a hegemony is impossible, one cannot simply leave if one disagrees with the hegemon. Minority opinion in a hegemony is highly vulnerable to the ideals-in-practice of the hegemon. Without “giv[ing] him/her the power and freedom to turn us all into scared voiceless puppets of their will,” a hegemony is likely to increase the incidence of terrorism as the only possible voice of a disgruntled internal minority.

3. “How do we insure our world leader is [a] good, honest, caring, sensitive person? What system of governance can we create that is run by imperfect humans that can be guaranteed incorruptible?”

Within this context, before anything else we should begin with whether global unity (in a non-spacefaring culture) is even possible. Specifically, can internal dissent with existing policy ever be adequately addressed within the goal of promoting a globally just utilitarianism which would not disproportionately penalise any or all small minorities, with or without consequent evolution of that policy -- or are we limited to the “If you don’t like it, leave” option? (Which last in turn begs the question of how policy is ever to be changed from within.)

It has been mentioned previously that modern Europe is setting aside its national differences and uniting politically. I suggest that Europe has the potential -- only -- to peacefully unite today because it has already passed through its evangelical colonial phase. (I use “evangelical” in the sense of any ideology aggressively promoted.) Yet any unifying movement seems to create the fear of smaller, less powerful cultures being assimilated and lost, and Europe is no exception. The attempt at European political unity while retaining individual cultural uniqueness may yet run aground against the determination of various states and minority interests to retain some degree of local sovereignty as a means of perceived protection against stronger economic and military powers within the EU.

Indeed, the most common response to any perceived attempt to collect powers under a unifying central government seems to be an increase in popularity of isolationist and/or protectionist movements; the most common argument curtailment of individual (constitutional) freedoms. At one extreme, any attempt at centralised unity is seen to threaten individuality. Another extrapolation of the protectionist argument (in its economic incarnation) can frequently be racism: since immigrants and migrant workers are seen to take away jobs from locals. This last tends to be exacerbated by the almost inevitable economic flux as states having differing states of economic health are integrated under a single currency.

As one tenet, then, I will propose that peaceful unity cannot occur while any member-state prioritises individuality at all costs.

I suggest further that there are two major approaches to achieving a peaceful unity -- or to achieving any peace, for that matter:

* through complete uniformity of a defined standard
* through tolerance of diversity, with the restriction that diversity cannot incorporate any entity with the aim of complete uniformity

Each of these approaches, to be successful, requires eradication of those cultures incompatible with that approach. One might say that the "tolerance of diversity" approach is intolerant of intolerance.

Thus, ultimately, any form of peace demands some form of intolerance. It is up to us to decide where we wish to draw that line.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Hero is the student, not the master

This is an utterly brilliant question. I was reading about a similar debate between the anarcho-capitalism and the left-anarchists. The question was, would people require that no one could own private property, because if they did how could it really be called anarchy? The people that wished to could not do so and were being restricted by laws, not simply customs. Perhaps a simple parallel between their argument and this should be made. The general consensus was that those wishing to engage in capitalist laissez-fair could do so, but could not force those wishing to live in communes or what have you to join the capitalist economies. It was also understood that someone could go between both of these separate spheres whenever they wanted so it was not about competition between the systems, and rather just a person’s preference. This might be possible with a “hegemony” system that has “Unified” zones and the nationalistic or patriotic “independent” zones. Thus if the government is just the “Unified” zones would expand, but if it abuses its power, its residents might decide that the independent zones would be a good place to reside.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
The only problem with your solution, blood, is that then it wouldn't be a global government, now, would it?

if there is another government to go to as an alternative, then there is no true hegemony.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Hero fights the shadow warrior

Did you not notice the quotation marks? It is generally accepted that quotation marks show either disbelief or a negative connotation. What would you propose? We force everyone to join a government whether they would like to or not? I’m just offering some solutions to Kyle’s question.

Socratesvc
Member # 3459

- posted      Profile for Socratesvc   Email Socratesvc         Edit/Delete Post 
I would propose a general central government. It would need a basic constitution with just enough law to keep people safe and happy, but not enough to stop the way a country's government wishes to conduct itself. It would have to have a leader that everyone could trust to be fair and follow through, and it would need to be balanced out enough that any problems that arose from any government could be brought to attention immediately and solved.
Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kyle Altis
Member # 3597

Again skipping style of government entirely for the nonce: what specifics could be sufficiently generally acceptable to be entrenched under such a global institution?

Might be an idea to look at possibilities one by one.

One which has already been (indirectly) proposed is individual possession of property -- but this is very much of a New World concept and one of the major factors underlying immigration. Additionally, to what extent would persons in possession of a piece of property be able to do as they wish with that property? To what extent would they control underground resources? airspace? waterways/sources? pollution?

Socratesvc
Member # 3459

- posted      Profile for Socratesvc   Email Socratesvc         Edit/Delete Post 
They would either control everything, control nothing, or control only what the government allows them to control, which would really be the same as controlling nothing, because if you tried to do anything with it that the government didn't want you to, they would stop you.
Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Sorry folks, I really don't think any kind of a dictatorship is a good idea in civilized modern government.
BootNinja
Member # 2296

the problem with democracy is that it only works in a society where the majority of the voting population is well educated. on a global scale this would not work. at least not initially.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Key word: initially. Maybe not very well at least. Ignorance is definitely the biggest threat to a moral government of any sort.
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Hero’s hand slashes through the mist

I have three points I’d feel I must add.

I was very imprecise in my language in explaining the “Unified” zones and the “Independent” zones. I compounded that error by giving a very defensive answer to Boot Ninja, for which I apologize. Perhaps an example would help. Let us use the United States, and please bear in mind that I’m using it as an example, not an optimal solution. Ostensible the United States is one nation indivisible. However, if you examine their reservation system you’ll notice special provisos within that nation government to handle their American Indians. While these small semi-nation-states do not have complete autonomy they have enough independence to make nearly all internal decisions and quite a few external. While I’ll be the first to admit that that particular system does not work, perhaps a similar systems could be set in place until the hegemony could absorb the independent populations peaceably.

Allow me to play devil’s advocate for a moment and simply say that intelligence is not a factor for democracy. Please take this example. The ten most brilliant people in the world who have complete knowledge on subjects are told to vote on these subjects. On each subject there would be the possibility of a majority of votes for one action, a majority of votes for another action, or a complete deadlock. Now let us take 10 uneducated, uninformed idiots of the street and let us pose them with the same problems. They will either agree with the intelligent decision or disagree with it. This shows that in a democracy intelligence is not a factor because if the idiots agree with the intelligent people by shear luck or they disagree so the intelligent opinion will be lost anyway.

The last comment is on the economic nature of the “hegemony”. If the government is to be anything other then capitalism the government must be as perfect as possible at its inception and democracy must be ground to a halt. Preferably it be done by a system of checks and balances so that all things must be accomplished gradually. Either that or they must establish such a bureaucracy that nothing ever gets done.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

"I'm sorry, chief, I didn't catch that. Would you mind running that by me again, in english perhaps?"
BootNinja
Member # 2296

I just recalled a related debate I had with some friends a few years back. We were arguing about the best way to change the American Governement. This was around the time of Clinton's impeachment hearing. What we decided on was very similar to the old roman system of government. The elected officials would be chosen by an electorate of politicians. This would put more people who are actually qualified to do the jobs in a position of power. Then, as a check to this electorate representative system, if a politician isn't doing his job, then rather than having the electorate vote to remove him, it is put to a popular vote. Thus, the politicians put them there, but the people have the power to remove them for ineffectiveness.

This seems to me like a better system than what we have here in America right now, because of the simple fact that the american people who are not politicians will vote their conscience instead of voting to save their own political career, thus imbeciles and morally bankrupt leaders like Clinton would actually be removed from office.

I don't know how practical such a form would be on a global scale, but this also solves the problem I mentioned earlier about education.

what are y'all's thoughts on this?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

The senate of Rome had to much power, and the majority of the citizens of the empire were not represented at all. I like hero's idea about autonomy. I think that it should be applied on the local level. Everywhere. In the U.S. now as well as in the rest of the world. If you think about it, when the constitution was established, each of the states referenced to had about as many people has a modern city. Granted that government should be area-based so we might should keep the state governments around, but give a lot more power to local autonomy. This is something badly needed here in Alaska, and it would also be neccessary to instate in such places as Russia, Australia, Canada, China, most of africa, actually, just about everywhere, but especially large or sparsely populated countries.
BootNinja
Member # 2296

so it sounds to me like y'all are arguing against a hegemon.
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

Not necessarily against a hegemon, but against someone with too much power, and put in a position with access to that power without the vote of the people. You would of course, need someone to handle things on a larger more general scale, such as a the president, but then there would be other people to handle everything else.
Abyss
Member # 3086

This thread sucks.

I hate to be so blunt, but I stopped participating when Hero's Blood started posting his cleverly titled essays. This thread ceased to be amusing, and what's worse, we stopped making valid points. Maybe between the squabbling someone said something, meant something, or thought something useful, but I lost it in the midst of the argument.

The same thing, on a lesser scale, occured early in the thread when sutranafs did the same thing, and now, again, we have to debate this foolishness.

Sutranafs dropped his arrogant attitude and started making good points. The thread went through a golden period when it was fun, intellectual, and NON-COMBATANT. I want that back. Let's get back to the good old thread. Let's put this horrible period behind us.

Let's put this Topic back in gear.

Let's start making good points without fighting each other.

-Abyss

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Somebody might say this thread is proof that we could never have a hegemon. If we cannot even agree what makes a good leader/government, how can the entire world come to an agreement. We mostly come from the same culture, and yet we are at each other's figurative throats over a hypothetical government. Doesn't bode too well for the actual creation of said government. I think it's possible, but I don't presume to have the necessary political/economic knowledge to say what is best. Personally, I think we need to grow up a little bit as a species before we can make a world government work.
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

Do you have any ideas on how to actually begin that? Or were you just being entirely hypothetical?
suntranafs
Member # 3318

*Attempts to get topic back in gear*
All these people say world gov. isn't possible. "This job, they said, it couldn't be done, but he with a chuckle replied, 'well maybe it couldn't', but he wouldn't be one to say so until he tried. So he buckled right in with a bit of a grin, as he tackled the job that couldn't be done, and, he did it." Has anybody got any real reason WHY NOT to TRY a world government?

BootNinja
Member # 2296

oh, I'm all for it. I just don't think it will work at this point.

Socratesvc, I don't know how we should effect that change, but the change I had in mind is that until people realize that the good of the planet has to come before the good of the country or our own selfish needs, then a world government will not work, because everyone will be too concerned with getting everything for themselves to the detriment of the whole.

Abyss
Member # 3086

So in reply to "Where is Our Locke?" you say "Nowhere for now, buckle down and wait for 'im?" The post has been interpreted as "Where is Our Hegemon" But the title asks a different question. Where is an impartial person who could make good decisions?
flyby
Member # 3630

- posted      Profile for flyby   Email flyby         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it could still work then, though. Back whent the U.S. constitution was being written up, all of them were looking out for their own states. I think we need to convince people that they will be safer if we are united. I mean, we don't have aliens to fight against, so that won't unite us, and we all can't fight against England as was the common enemy in colonial days. I think we need a reason to unite though. I think peace is a good idea, but it is convincing people that they will be just as safe under the world government as they are now, or safer, or that they will have the same freedoms. I think we should try, but I think the only way we will succeed is in finding the thing that we can unite against. People will give up their local rights to the bigger entity when they think the bigger entity will make things better. There would definitely have to be alot of propaganda to make a hegemony work.

[This message has been edited by flyby (edited June 21, 2002).]

Posts: 1261 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

In response to the question "where is our locke?" I would have to say, I haven't got a clue, but he sure as hell ain't around here.

(disclaimer: here refers to my geographic location, not to the people on this message board.)

Ophelia
Member # 653

- posted      Profile for Ophelia   Email Ophelia         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe he's in the bathroom...(That was my first response when I saw the title of the thread months ago.)
Posts: 3801 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
We've almost caught up to the Peekabo thread! Quickly now, post faster!
Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... of course, Steel, you do that.

Anyhow, I think that what Abyss was trying to say was let's shift from talking about what we'd like to see in a world govt and how should we get there, to talking about what we should look for in a good person-newssource-generalleadership.

Sorry if I'm taking some liberties w/ your words here, abyss, but what arr we supposed to do when you don't make yourself clear?

~Your Friend~,
Reed

Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

To Abyss's question, I have to reiterate: There's no such thing as an impartial person. Furthermore, if there was, I'm not sure we would want such a person in there. After all, Impartial an neutral have similar conotations, and a neutral person may very well not care whether people starve or die.
As to how we should get there, assuming we can find a leader and hammer out an effective system, is that not an intruiging question? Anybody got any ideas? Military, Economic, Political Religous or other?

T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, where is our psychopath of a hero? It takes more than a Locke to create a Peter Wiggin and vice versa. I'd be very surprised if a Locke DID exist because the truth is there isnt a reason to unite the world right now. Sure we can all use a little more peace but how far are we willing to go to get it? There are a few steps we need to take and a couple of those steps need climbing gear.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

do I know you?
kaioshin00
Member # 3740

- posted      Profile for kaioshin00   Email kaioshin00         Edit/Delete Post 
what exactly does hegemon stand for?
Posts: 2756 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

World Leader.
Abyss
Member # 3086

The hegemon, from a governmental standpoint, is a world leader who would contribute to the worlds economic, intellectual, physical, and moral progression of the world.

But Locke? Locke is a different story.

Peter Wiggin didn't care if there was a "reason" to rule everything. He just had

Ambition. Drive.

But once he got there he was far from a tyrant. He had

Altruism. True Compassion.

Unity. Strength. ambition. Drive. Altruism. True compassion.

-Abyss

Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
These things do a Hegemon make.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

Is everyone here familiar with the "Left Behind" book series?
BootNinja
Member # 2296

yeah, I've heard of them, my sister loves them, but I've never bothered to read them.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

No what are they?
BootNinja
Member # 2296

As far as I can understand, and forgive me if this is wrong, since I haven't read the books, and am not terribly familiar with christianity either, but here goes....

judgement day has come, and the saved people have been taken up to heaven. THe books chronicle the story of those who were "Left Behind."

I'll leave a more detailed synopsis to someone who has read them.

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited July 11, 2002).]

somedeadguy
Member # 3759

- posted      Profile for somedeadguy   Email somedeadguy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do something helpful for a change... I see someone brought up the left behind series. Time did a story about the left behind series awhile back. The link to the story is below for those who didn't see it or aren't familiar with the series:

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101020701/books.html

Posts: 738 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Ok, Abyss, what was your point? They don't really look worth reading to me. I find that particular "Christian" view point a bit deceptive; it's the whole "kill all the bad guys" thing all over again.
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.