FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Where is our Locke? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   
Author Topic: Where is our Locke?
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

- posted      Profile for Hero's Blood           Edit/Delete Post 
Hero confronts the Abyss

Abyss, you have made three false assumptions.

You knew that Nazi Germany had guns correct? Well because guns are INSTRUMENTS of FORCE it is obvious that I would NOT approve of them. In Nazi Germany the only way to get what one wanted was TO EXERT FORCE, correct? Therefore if I'm proposing a government where NO ONE MUST EXERT FORCE to get what one wants how could I be a proponent of Fascism?

Your second false assumption is that you assume that your government is just. Quite simply put it is not. Objects at rest tend to stay at rest. Objects in motion tend to stay at motion. Keep a populace well fed and free to exercise the basic human freedoms, speech, religion, assembly, etc., and they will stay happy and content. However if for example you starve a population to death, murder their democratically elected leaders, brutalize their populations with repressive regimes, and then exercise brutal military campaigns on them, they will continue to stay balkanized against all perceived hostile forces. A truly just government will not have “terrorists” rise against it.

The third false assumption, if I perceived your response correctly, is that Marxism or Communism is a bad thing. People who have no idea what Communism (more specifically pure communism named Marxism) view it with hostility due to the propaganda their capitalist governments have put out against them. People, who truly know what Marxism is, either support it or view it as a utopian vision that can never be realized. However people who view it as a utopian vision have never truly analyzed the situation and are simply deluding themselves to the true situation. The short definition of Marxism is that people who work can partake of all the fruits of society’s labor, but none may exploit it for their own personal gain.

And now I wait until the next time you misconstrue my words and I must point out that I’ve already given an explanation to what I’ve said.

[This message has been edited by Hero's Blood (edited May 27, 2002).]

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed Richards
Member # 3514

- posted      Profile for Reed Richards   Email Reed Richards         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see you come up with a clever title for MY name.

A government where no one must exert force is a great idea. An impossible objective, but a great idea nevertheless.

You also said that Abyss's government wasn't just, but how can that be? It doesn't exist... It's a hypothetical government. How can an idea be unjust? How can it be wrong, and (hypothetically) if it is wrong, point out it's hypothetical faults!

~Your Friend~
Reed

Posts: 135 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kosmik
Member # 3538

- posted      Profile for kosmik   Email kosmik         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think I was going to stick my nose into this one ;-)

I definately don't want to step on any toes or anything.

I just wanted to say a couple of things that may be off topic, but that *are* related to things that I have read in this thread.

At one point someone (can't remember who) was talking about saving the world. I was reminded of a discussion that I had about the difference between saving/helping and serving.

Saving/helping tends to imply inequality, whereas serving has more of an attitude of equality and respect.

Could we perhaps have world leaders that wish to "serve the world" and not "save the world"?

Another thing I wanted to mention was something I remember working on with some friends when I was in junior high. More of a thesis than any pretentious type of solving the world problems, or anything

We decided to have a look at the concept of "unity" in respect to current models of justice and democracy.

We decided rapidly that the justice system that was currently in place in most western countries did not include the concept of unity: Opposing parties whose intention often was to "win" a case rather than to find a solution that would be best for all parties involved. One possibility did exist in the american law system that was pretty interesting, but not used very often: the judge could ask each party to design a solution, and the one that the judge felt to be better would be used. That way both parties would try their best to design a good solution, so that their's would be retained.

Same for democracy: not much unity in the current democratic models. Basically, parties that are opposed, and once again trying to "win" rather than to get together and design solutions.

(please remember that this is just the flight and fancy of fourteen yearolds. We didn't think we knew it all, we didn't have any solutions... we were just looking at possibilities)

Sorry for rambling.

We did try to find different "ingredients" that we thought would be important for a justice system and democracy, but I'm not about to torture you guys with it

Just wanted to add some food for thought.

Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

- posted      Profile for Socratesvc   Email Socratesvc         Edit/Delete Post 
I like your thought about having a world leader that wants to serve the world, rather than save it. Saving it really would imply that those being saved would be unable to help themselves, but helping would only mean that they are not doing it themselves. They may be able to, but they are just allowing themselves to receive aid.

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Kosmik rustle of the Reeds sooths the Hero’s soul

Reed, I believe you bring up one good points and another equally good point that is a bit uninformed, or perhaps a bit undeveloped. Kosmik you bring up some serious questions on the very nature of this discussion that I believe deserves some serious attention.

Reed, you have brilliantly pointed out a mistake that I have committed and seriously and honestly thank you, for without your comment I would have never found and been able to correct it. You pointed out that Abysses perfect government was hypothetical. From the current situation and the current topic I should have assumed that his “terrorists” were also hypothetical. I foolishly took his diction as an alliteration to the current geo-political situation, for if taken in that context his comments seem to mirror the feelings many European North Americans. Of course as you have so clearly pointed out the conversation is hypothetical and I should not take this discussion out of context. I have been on the offensive from the time I began posting so it came naturally to me. Again I thank you for pointing out my flaw so I may correct it.

Please note in the next section I will be greatly simplifying complex ideas and making general blanket statements so please try to grasp the larger concept at work here and don’t quibble over semantics. Also before every statement it might be helpful to add the world “generally”.

Your second point that “A government where no one must exert force is a great idea. An impossible objective, but a great idea none the less” is flawed but its intrinsic flaws are not apparent and the explanation for why it is flawed is not easy to grasp so please bear with me. There are three schools of thought on the nature of man (please note that I include women in all of my male general pronouns but using “they” while politically correct is a grammatical nightmare as is putting he/she him/her).

The first school of thought is attributed to Hobbes who says that all men are inherently evil, thus a structure must be put in place to contain them. This is the most difficult school of thought to rationalize the “utopian” vision with but I will try. First to have a truly “utopian” future under the Hobbes school of thought is to simply to make mans negative traits turn into productive forces. Such as if all men are inherently greedy or selfish then intelligently they must all act altruistically. This may seem a paradox but if examined closely one find that it is far easier to give someone what exactly what you have they no longer wish what you have because it is not significantly better then what they have. Many people envy rich actors or extravagant pop stars, but how many people envy the people in the same tax bracket as themselves? Therefore a truly evil society the most intelligent way to protect what I have is not to force down those who would acquire it, but to make sure that everyone has everything they need or want so no one wants what I have.

The second school of thought falls under that of our discussion’s namesake Locke. He thought that all men were inherently good and thus were able to adequately control a society themselves. Furthermore this point is illustrated by his belief in the social contract that essentially gives the power of all government ultimately to the populace. A utopian future under this system is easy enough because if men are inherently good then it must simply be detractors of their society that cause them to turn to evil. If such is the case the simple removal of those detractors will allow for an open and free society in which no force must be exerted.

The last and newest school of thought oft proposed psychologists who say men are products of their environments. That is the actions of every man are a culmination of all events proceeding him. Then it simply becomes a matter of inevitability. Ultimately the strong systems survive and the weak do not, and because historic forces rather than their inherent nature guide men so they too are subject to these principles. An economy is the benchmark of any nation. However preparing for war, while does momentarily stimulate the economy cannot be relied upon for long lasting prosperity which is vital for any economy. Thus it is understandable that only a peaceful, communistic, and democratic state would immerge. War causes suffering, destruction, and death, all which are counterproductive. Strife and competition are also pitiful replacements for unity and cooperation. Differences of opinion and a free exchange of ideas helps push progress thus the society must be democratic. So the men who act on society’s behalf are simply the result of all the progressive steps before them.

Thus it is quite apparent that such “utopian” (translated from Greek nowhere) ideas are not so utopian.

Kosmik you have touched on a vital point of the whole discussion of humanities “savior”. Such ideas are rediculous. There is no possible way that one man can “save” society. However, all men must serve society (that in turn serves them) and thus save it. No one can give us the perfect unified world. We must work for it and achieve it ourselves and both individuals and as humanity as a whole.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

- posted      Profile for BootNinja   Email BootNinja         Edit/Delete Post 
In your logical statements, you leave out an important feature of humanity... Emotion. You cannot sit there and tell me that you will ever completely get rid of envy, greed, or hatred. the last is the most important. you say that wars will eventually become obsolete, because they are economically feasible? tell me, how many wars that have been fought by this country were stimulated by the economy? The President didn't just up and decide one day, "gee, the economy isn't doing to well, I think I'll start a war." No, wars are fought because of hatred. sure, they make excuses, like I want their land, or they don't believe the same way we do, but in the end it all boils down to hate. thus, your "wars will cease because they are not good for the economy" claim is a fallacy.

[This message has been edited by BootNinja (edited May 28, 2002).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero fights the Shadow without acting

It is terribly unfortunate. If I am mistaken I would be happy to have someone correct me, but your idea that wars are fought of emotion is utterly and absolutely ridiculous. I don’t believe you can find one solitary instance where you can find a war that was NOT fought for economic reasons.

Most of the pre-modern wars were fought directly over land. This is quite OBVIOUSLY economic because with more land you have more resources. Wars such as the Romans fight to control the world displays the need for vast economic resources, the later Muslim wars show an expanding economic drive from the bitterly contested middle eastern area as a reaction to the oppressive Roman economic system that extended economic freedom only to Romans. Also during this time period the Three Kingdoms Era in China as a contest between the houses of Shu, Wei, and Wu which lead to the eventual victory of Sima Yi (rough translation I apologize) was actually a catastrophic failure of the economic policies of the Han Dynasty.

At the advent of colonialism from the 16th to 18th centuries the economic reasons for war become more obvious. The Spanish lust for gold to help prop up their war torn economy and to give a comparable trade program to their neighbor Spain. The expansion of religious wars were generally a contest between feudal or trading southern continental powers such as Spain, Italy, Portugal and France and northern maritime manufacturing powers such as The Netherlands and Britain. The subsequent rebellions with in American colonial territories such as the later United States of America, New Spain (Mexico), Haiti, and generally the whole of South America (excluding Brazil) were fought to either establish a free labor system i.e. abolish slavery or to establish the local bourgeois over the far distant mercantilist powers i.e. the Untied States.

Later there were constant fights over who would have control over land, which as stated before, is inherently economic. Of course within Europe there were napoleonic wars that were battles to push France from a feudal aristocratic nation to a capitalist republic (eventually). In the United States the war over slavery was not, as many would have you believe a war over the morality of the “peculiar institution” but rather a desperate struggle between the Nearly completed capitalists free labor system of the North and the neo-feudalism of the South. Quite clearly all were economic. The later imperialism that ran rampant in all the world were simply reactions to the growing need for resources and more specifically the spheres of influences to extract these resources.

As a direct continuation of these reactions World War I was started. Competing capitalist countries were all vying for both European and even worldwide superiority. Ostensibly it was the assassination of the Archduke Ferdinan, but the economic tensions between the Allies and the Central powers and most specifically the economic competition between England and France drove Europe into the camps of either powers with established economic conditions or the struggling powers with either emerging or collapsing economies.

World War II was obviously economic. Economically ravaged countries found suitable outlets for production i.e. weapons rather then the inviable consumer goods. This is because overproduction was making all goods worthless so no one could buy anything. If I may make a small comment, don’t you find it ridiculous that people were doing the worst in their lives when everything was operating at higher levels of efficiency and productivity then ever before? It is quite a comment on THAT particular economic system. None the less people like Mussolini, Hitler, Stalin, and Tojo were all reactions to the current economic system. Hitler was trying to bring the economically downtrodden Germany to prominence. Mussolini was trying to stabilize the unbalanced Italian economic situation. Lastly, the military government in Japan was an attempt to take the lagging Japan and give them a boost by having a vast empire ripe with resources.

The cold war and all its battles are quite simply economic. The free market systems seemingly competing against controlled economies. More or less every battle was fought on these lines so I don’t feel it is necessary to go into complete specifics.

In the post Soviet era most of the wars have been fought over oil, hegemony (with all the economic benefits it entails), and lastly the suppression of any other nation besides the United States as anything resembling a superpower. If you don’t believe me read the Wolfiwitz (I apologize for the spelling) memorandum. Quite clearly all of these wars were economic.

Now you may say, “but quite often don’t war boost the economy?” Well, yes and no. They give it stimulation with increased government spending (often going to the private sector further stimulating consumerism). The price of war in both men and material is not worth the benefits. All colonial possessions ultimately rebel, all territorial gains ultimately revolt, and all empires ultimately crumble. However, if the effort that was spent on war was instead spent on consumer goods and the domestic economies (or in a worldwide government the world economy) and with fair redistribution prosperity would be increased for all.

Please forgive me, I completely forgot to reply to one vital section of your post so now I must make the addendum. You did not specify which country “this country” is so rather then assume you are a white middle class American I expanded “this country” to include many different examples from many different countries.

[This message has been edited by Hero's Blood (edited May 28, 2002).]

Leto II
Member # 2659

- posted      Profile for Leto II   Email Leto II         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it me, or does "Hero's Blood" sound like a typical anti-US teenager with a history textbook in his lap?
Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Hero bows before the Emperor

Thank you Leto II you have truly paid me a high complement. I do however, think that you have grossly overestimated my knowledge. I do not have a textbook, but rather I have a basic understanding of ancient and modern history and I have knowledge of historical dialect. With these two tools I am able to synthesize positions on topics which seemingly have no correlation and form a cohesive thought. But I am flattered none the less. While I’m not specifically anti-American I believe that any country where you can not say “hmm… I don’t think our current war is being properly run” or "all wars are immoral and this is no diffrent". If, for example, you were to say such a thing in a Taliban camp they would surly kill you. However, if you said it in the United States in front of two witnesses and then admitted such a thing in court you could also be killed. To forestall any questions this is under the Patriot Act of 2001 that states that not supporting the “war on terror” is treason by means of giving aid to the enemy.

Something is a bit troubling about your post though. Rather then attack my ideas or my opinions you would instead attack an anonymous, faceless, Internet user. Are my arguments really so comprehensive that you would rather try to divine my personality from a few extremely focus posts on a political thread then debate the central ideas of my posts

[This message has been edited by Hero's Blood (edited May 28, 2002).]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
"To forestall any questions this is under the Patriot Act of 2001 that states that not supporting the 'war on terror' is treason by means of giving aid to the enemy."

I just want to step into this fairly ridiculous discussion for a second and point out that the Patriot Act, while odious, does not in fact make sedition illegal.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

And I would like to point out that it quite clearly does make sedition illegal. On a CNN interview discussing the American president George Bush’s knowledge of the September Eleventh attacks Dick Chaney made a thinly valid threat that such criticism was not supporting the war on terror and under the Patriot Act it actually is treason. While it is unlikely that the United States government would act upon such “treason” the mere fact that they could is a disturbing thought.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid you have your facts more than a little wrong.

For one thing, I'm almost CERTAIN you're referring to Ashcroft's infamous and indeed chilling testimony before Congress, in which he stated his belief that anyone willing to question the administration at such a crucial juncture may as well be lending material aid to the terrorists. Like many Americans, I was horrified by this purely partisan attack and furious that Congress didn't immediately call him out on it.

I'm not aware of similar comments from Cheney, although I'm of course willing to look them over if you'll provide a link.

Either way, neither man's opinion -- whether under Congressional oath or not -- affects the actual text of the Patriot Act, which does not include protests or public dissention among its prohibited activities. Now, if you want to get into a serious discussion of some of the very REAL flaws of that Act, feel free -- but this isn't one of 'em.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Heroes against Patriots

I’ve been reviewing the actual Patriot Act and I’ve only skimmed through about 50 pages and it appears that it is mostly about monitoring, therefore I yield to your judgement because I’m not adequately informed on the exact nature of the document. While I was aware of Ashcroft’s comments to congress, I discounted Ashcroft’s opinion as insanity as I do with most of Ashcroft’s words. The Chaney comments are new and it was something I saw so I’m not sure it will have a link on the Internet. However the vice president of the United States is quite a different story and I thought perhaps there were some later provisoes that actually suspended civil liberties. Perhaps it was simply Chaney trying to gain a hold of an interview in which he was doing rather poorly.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

Ok, I will bow to the superior knowledge in one respect: I see that economic concerns can and have in the past been directly related to economics. however, I propose that that is not always the case. the American War on terrorism(yes, btw, I am a middle class WASP male)is not based on economics. it is based on America's Anger at Osama bin Laden, and the Afgan terroists. Call it a sense of justice, call it anger, call it hate, the point is that this is a strictly emotional war, being fought for purposes of self vindication. I'm not saying that we are not justified here, I'm just saying that it has nothing to do with economics...

And for that matter, what about American involvement in all those foreign wars where we didn't stand to gain anything? I.E. Korea/Vietnam/Desert Storm/Bosnia/yugoslavia. what was our economic gain there?

now as for your statement that wars fought over land are inherently economic. What about the India/Pakistan situation. yes, they are fighting over the hotly contested Kashmir territory, but the main reason this problem has occurred is religion. Kashmir wants no part of India, because India is primarily Hindu, while Kashmir is Islamic, like Pakistan. Economics might be a part of it, but my understanding of the area is that the people in the area are mostly poor, and poorly cared for. It would seem to me that taking on this territory would be an economic burden. why do they sit on the brink of war if not for hatred spawned from religious intolerance?

I hope this post is a bit more well thought out, but if not, then please forgive me, because my mind tends to wander this late at night.

Posts: 557 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leto II
Member # 2659

Hero, I didn't bother attacking anything, because you're not using discourse. You're making statements- heavily biased ones- and expecting us to bother picking them apart. At which point you then rephrase your words to restate your POV with less direct errors.

While I'm sure this is very educational for you, and a great way to boost your ego, I don't play ego-stroking games with people preaching rather than discussing.

You dig?

Posts: 6907 | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

The Ninja and the Hero brook a cease-fire

Ostensibly the United States’ “war on terrorism” is a righteous war fought over the brutal murder of innocents. This view does not hold up over careful scrutiny. This war did not start when a plane destroyed itself on the superstructure of one of the two greatest feats of human engineering. This war started with the CIA searching for new ways to thwart the Soviet Union. This led the United States to turn its sights on a small, poor, land locked, country by the name of Afghanistan. The corrupt Soviets had launched a large offensive and the CIA saw this as a way to drain the resources of the false communists. Thus at that time the director of the CIA, George Bush Senior unless I’m mistaken, authorized the support of the Mujahadin (I apologize for the spelling). And so Osama bin Laden was given the reigns of power for a “holy army”. Long story short the Soviet offensive was a disaster and Osama bin Laden was a hero. As I’ve stated the cold war was economic so this falls under the economic category.

Next there was Operation: Desert Storm. This was a war many of you are familiar with and was fought over oil. However, a little known fact is that Osama’s army was offered to Saudi Arabia they turned it down in favor of the foreign “coalition army”. This embittered many Arabs who viewed the economic and thus political powerbrokers of their countries as under foreign influence. The bitterness of the common people is a direct reaction to restricted class mobility with in their repressive regimes which perhaps rightfully so view their governments as nothing more then foreign puppets.

When viewed in this context the current “wars on terrorism” and “holy wars” are nothing more than fronts for underlying factors. It is not a battle for freedom and democracy, rather is a battle both to continue the economic viability of oil as a power source and also to keep the economies of the third world firmly in the hands of friendly powers. However, the opposite side of the battle is no better. While these “freedom fighters" would claim to be fighting for freedom from the shackles of the decadent western secularism, they are at best fighting to remove the corrupt puppet governments. Far more likely they are simply seeking to install themselves as the new economic and thus political leaders of their respective countries.

As for your belief on Kashmir that is actually based on economics. The split between India and Pakistan is based on the fear of different value systems would jeopardize the future of a country. This has to do with the basic belief that people of varying value systems threaten each other's interests. It also has to do with the fact of the massive labor pool of a unified India does not mesh with its current economic situation which has too few jobs for too many people. Thus if you discriminate on religion you can cut down on the labor force. Thus racial, religious, and gender tension is born.

Ninja I thank you for your very valid criticism of the economic theory I was basing my argument on and I hope I have satisfied your interest with my explanation. I look forward to your next comment.

Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero rises to meet the Emperor

You seem to have my intentions mistaken. Judging simply from what I’ve seen, which I must admit is far from all-inclusive, and the opinion that I state is far from the status quo here and so thus I seem to be contentious. However, I’m merely stating what I feel is constructive to the conversation. My view of the future unified world varies from many of the people in this forum. Perhaps my opinions are not as valid as everyone else’s, but I’d rather not believe that.

Also if people attack my opinion I simply give what thoughts have led me to that conclusion. This is hardly what I would call stroking my own ego, nor protecting.

BootNinja
Member # 2296

ok, i'm obviously not as well informed on past political motivations on wars, etc. as you, thus I cannot refute your explanation on the "War on terrorism".

I am also ready to grant you that we might not have gotten involved in Desert Storm without the incentive of the oil fields.

But I disagree with your claim that the religious fervor in Kashmir is economic in nature. The People, who are the dissenting group in the area, are not unhappy with India because they feel the hindus will infringe upon their financial stability. they feel that they should be able to live under a society with the same beliefs as them. Not everything ties back to economics. how often does the average american catholic think "Gee, the protestants over there are infringing on my financial future because they have a majority in the city government. Sometimes there are other reasons for dissention, such as civil liberties, and the like. Which brings me back to the part of my previous posts that you didn't even bother to address. The Bosnian and the Yugoslavian civil wars. American involvement was not for economic gain, and the two sides were not fighting over economics.

For that matter, let me refute your analysis of the american civil war. Any history professor will tell you that slavery was only the token excuse for this war. The real issue was states' rights. The south felt threatened, not by the economic implications of a ban on slavery, but rather they felt threatened by the implication that if the federal government could take away their slaves, which were strictly provided for in the constitution, then what else could they take away? It was not an economic issue over free labor, it was an important issue over limits to the power of the federal government.

Socratesvc
Member # 3459

- posted      Profile for Socratesvc   Email Socratesvc         Edit/Delete Post 
There isn't one universal cause for war. It just happens.People have different viewpoints. Whether it is over economics, religion, emotion, or all of the above. You can't pin down a single thing to blame, and expect that to be the final say, even if you feel you can justify yourself by playing word games. Isn't that what Hitler did too? How many people would say that his conclusions were reasonable today, though the way he went about saying it was extremely logical.
No, I am not comparing you to Hitler.
By the way, what's up with all the name introductions?

Posts: 41 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nahallaG
Member # 3356

- posted      Profile for nahallaG           Edit/Delete Post 
"In order to be an immaculate member of a flock of sheep, one must above all be a sheep oneself." - Albert Einstein

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and fearful master." George Washington

[This message has been edited by nahallaG (edited May 29, 2002).]

Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero confronts the Philosopher on the mount.

In every post I include new information, how is it that I am simply playing word games? If I were playing word games I would simply obfuscate the situation by leading you down avenues that go now where. Instead I’m giving my perspective on the world and what it portents for the requested “savior” and the thought of a world government, its benefits, restrictions, and ways to bring about its possible fruition. Perhaps I should simply state the idea that is intrinsically what I am. We live in a logical world that is governed by basic laws that are non-transmutable. Although Card’s Romantic ideas that the world is shaped by the glories of men and the forces of god. I instead think that the world is the progression of all history before it and thus is governed by the current situation, the historical progress, and the application of both of these towards the future and so we come to inevitable future outcome. Despite what the people on these forums say I do believe this and am not simply prevaricator.

Let me state again that I am not playing word games or turning this thoughtful discussion on the future and current situation of the world into an intellectual sparing match. However, I feel that if someone’s opinion is different from mine it is best to discuss our different points of view to come to some sort of a consensus. This does not mean one opinion is wrong and one opinion is right, rather it means that we can find some common ground. A good example is our discussion over the “fourth branch” of government, we may have arrived at such an impasse that we can not agree on whether a world government SHOULD be armed, but it is possible for us to compromise and come to the conclusion that if the world government was armed it would need serious restrictions on the force it could wield. As you can see we took two different opinions from two different people and we gave forth genesis to a unified acceptance of the specific value and we continued to hold mutual respect for the each other's values in contention.

I deeply apologize that I did not answer all of your questions concerning the specific wars of Korea, Vietnam, Bosnia, and Yugoslavia (or more specifically the region Kosovo).

Korea and Vietnam were fought over the competing ideologies of controlled economies against free market systems. The Vietnam War had the notoriety of domestic turbulence caused by the economic suppression of Africans, Mexicans, Native Americans, Asians, and women. Thus the Vietnam War was essential a two headed beast. First it was, as stated, a competition between the economic systems. Secondly it was the reaction of foreign policy caused by pent-up domestic pressure.

Yugoslavia and Bosnia were wars to solidify the United States bid for hegemony and to divert attention away from domestic problems. Both wars were in Europe after the collapse of the Warsaw Pact. These were NATO’s first chances to prove that Russia had neither the will nor the capacity to keep order in Eastern Europe. Hegemony allows one country easy access to all the worlds labor and resources; thus it is primarily economic in nature. The second reason that the wars in Bosnia and Kosovo were fought because criticism was growing within the United States about the very nature of that countries political process. While it appears that Monica Lewinsky was an important focal point for discussion on the morality of that countries politicians, it was actually a bit of political slight of hand to draw attention away from the bourgeoisie’s control over the United States’ democratic process by controlling campaign funding.

Perhaps I am the one mistaken but I do not agree with your assessment of the civil war. While I do agree that slavery was only one of the issues, the other issues I don’t want to get into at this moment because it is neither pertinent nor is it able to be simply condensed and explained. What is important is that the war was fought over slavery, perhaps not directly because of the abolitionists and the anti-abolitionists but the slave labor and free labor systems were at the heart of the division. To say that states rights were the central issue in the United States’ civil war is akin to saying the right to kill not murder is the central issue in homicide charges. A glib analogy I’ll be the first to admit, but I think it illustrates my point fairly well.

At this point I feel I must give the reason why I digressed to discuss in depth the United States’ civil war. Although one the surface it may appear that I am simply using as an idle intellectual exercise, I assure you I am not. If BootNinja is correct in his assessment of war then the entire theory that peace can be achieved by removing the economic needs that people for fight for. That is why I spent so much time debating a point that is seemingly unrelated.

The other two issues that both BootNinja and Socratesvc brought up. You say there is not a universal cause for war. That is inaccurate, while there might be different justifications for war, ultimately economics are the only thing that can drive a people to battle. As for the rather flippant statement “how often does the average American catholic think ‘Gee, the Protestants over there are infringing on my financial future because they have a majority in the city government.’” That would imply that people could instantly recognize their own motivations. Basic psychology people who are insecure find others to blame for their own fears. While the average American Catholic may not say “Gee, the Protestants over there are infringing on my financial future because they have a majority in the city government” that does not necessarily mean that isn’t what is sub-conscience motivating them.

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi everybody, I've been gone for 4 days. Mr. blood seems to have attempted to 'dominate' this thread, much as I did originally. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but crimany! Would he please not write so much! It destroys the sharpness of points, if points he has. (Incidently, no offense, but Lao Tzu's english voice is full of it). There's a lot I'd like to say, but no time to say write now.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Steel
Member # 3342

- posted      Profile for Steel   Email Steel         Edit/Delete Post 
Good to see you back, sutranafs.
Posts: 497 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BootNinja
Member # 2296

I'm afraid the time has come where we must agree to disagree. I can bring up new points all day, and you can find ways to twist them into your point of view. However, I cannot bring myself to believe as you do that economics is the heart of all conflict. If you dig deep enough, you can make anything prove your point, which is what you seem to be doing. I'm not saying that there is no validity to your point, but I still disagree that it is the only valid point. Sometimes econimics is the driving force for war, or at least a particular country's involvement therein. but not always. so this will be my last post on the matter.
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

I still say that there are different causes for war, and all of them depend on the specific situation, but I agree with BootNinja. This subject is wearing itself thin, and your arguments are starting to repeat themselves.
I also agree with suntranafs. Write less. It makes people pay more attention than if they have to read a book every time you post something.

Abyss
Member # 3086

- posted      Profile for Abyss   Email Abyss         Edit/Delete Post 
Fascinating, that this thread has an offshoot. I'm honored, Socrates.

Hero's Blood... brevity is the soul of wit. The average attention span doesn't allow us (or me, at least) to appreciate your input. You have things to say, and I respect that. Just say them in sound bites I can chew on.

As to the matter at hand... We've exhausted the fourth branch concept. Let us diverge from the 2nd amendment and move on. For example... what makes some people listen to others? Why would the world follow a "Locke"? Would you follow DiffidentVoice's "RedSkull", or follow Hero's Blood? How could you make sure that whomever was nominated as "Hegemon" would be a just ruler, and not a "SlashtheBerserker-gimme/nomorecountrymusic" Hegemon?

How do you confirm that a single man is worth following?

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

Good question.
They would have to have certain qualities that would make them seem like they would be good leaders. The question is, what are those qualities exactly?
First of all, they need to have an obvious concern for the happiness of others, and they need to demonstrate that others are their top priority. I think that people who so obviously put themselves first would never gain followers, at least not reliable ones.
The position, I think, would also require good communication skills. If they intend to rule the world, or serve it or keep it from self-destruction (which I believe would only be a matter of time if no changes are made), they need to be able to get their point across. They have to be able to have an intelligent conversation, where they can see both sides of the argument and realize when they have made a mistake.
What else?

suntranafs
Member # 3318

- posted      Profile for suntranafs   Email suntranafs         Edit/Delete Post 
Courage. Nothing else. Except if one seeks/has any virtue completely, then one seeks/has all virtues. Abyss: What we want is not somebody who appears to us as continuously perfect, but somebody who tries continuously to be perfect for the sake of somebody's self and for the sake of simple perfection. Sorry if I seem to be preaching but I don't really think there is much more to say on the matter.
Posts: 1103 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

Good way to make a long story short.
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

Do we even want someone to be hegemon?
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Yeah. Maybe. A new world government is going to require a lot of people, George Washington didn't exactly design and lead in the American government all by himself.
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

He didn't want to. He even made it impossible for him to become a dictator. He really knew what his priorities were. Good example.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
For the record, I just went through the thread to read Hero's Blood's clever post titles.

Welcome to Hatrack. Check out the other side sometimes.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

Cleverness isn't everything , but they are pretty cool.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

plib
Socratesvc
Member # 3459

And I am sure that the sole purpose for his writing them was for others to notice how clever he is.
suntranafs
Member # 3318

I think that's a tad harsh Soc.
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It worked, I think he is pretty clever with a decent sense of humor.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ce'stlabon
Member # 3602

- posted      Profile for ce'stlabon   Email ce'stlabon         Edit/Delete Post 
War and Darwin...

reasons for war? what if..now this is ONLY a what if - wars are a form of natural selection to rid society of the most dangerous psychopathic elements. I'm not talikng about wars nowadays, which seem to be a strange career path for misguided 18 year olds in need of some order in their lifes who ten years down the line find themselves killing foreigners for no damn reason they can see. I'm talking more about the idea of 'clan warfare', where out of every community a selection of pweole would fight on a fairly regular basis, thus weeding out the most violent members of that society (well soldiers don't have the longest life expectancy, do they?)

This could explain the rise of criminal violence in 'civilised' society (or is it a rise? are things just better reported these days?)

thoughts anyone..

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero’s insanity grows thus he is serene

I was going to write a long post saying how wrong everyone was and how right I was. That is utterly foolish and now I realize that. I will add my only points on all discussion on both the subject of who should be hegemony and who should not, but on war.

“ Weapons are the tools of violence;
all decent men detest them.

Weapons are the tools of fear;
a decent man will avoid them
except in the direst necessity
and, if compelled, will use them
only with the utmost restraint.
Peace is his highest value.
If the peace has been shattered,
how can he be content?
His enemies are not demons,
but human beings like himself.
He doesn't wish them personal harm.
Nor does he rejoice in victory.
How could he rejoice in victory
and delight in the slaughter of men?

He enters a battle gravely,
with sorrow and with great compassion,
as if he were attending a funeral.”

As for who should be hegemon

If powerful men and women
could remain centered in the Way,
all things would be in harmony.
The world would become a paradise.
All people would be at peace,
and the law would be written in their hearts.

“When the Master governs, the people
are hardly aware that he exists.
Next best is a leader who is loved.
Next, one who is feared.
The worst is one who is despised.

If you don't trust the people,
you make them untrustworthy.

The Master doesn't talk, he acts.
When his work is done,
the people say, ‘Amazing: we did it, all by ourselves!’”

[This message has been edited by Hero's Blood (edited June 03, 2002).]

Abyss
Member # 3086

Please, PLEASE, shorten your posts! I mean no disrespect, but the length of your statements only lowers their worth!

-Abyss

Posts: 280 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abyss
Member # 3086

I think all of you should at least take a look at my new thread "How to Write the Ultimate Thread."

-Abyss

suntranafs
Member # 3318

Hero, good artistic thinkers will not always make good leaders. I know a parable of peace, the jist of it is this: a man invented and built a computer capable of nearly anything. He asked the computer do something really great. The computer said: "how about world peace'? The man said yeah! Cool! The computer spends the night figuring. In the morning the computer tells the man that it's got it all figured, but that he won't like the results. The man tells the computer to proceed. the the computer warns the man again that he won't like the results. The man insists, the computer says 'OK', and higher life on earth is destoyed completely as all the nuclear weapons in the world detonate simultaneously. World peace is great! For cockroaches anyways.

Decent men detest an avoid weapons? A common fib of our times. Guns do not murder people. People murder people. Furthermore, guns are not the only weapon. The mind is mankind's FUNDAMENTAL WEAPON. As BootNinja said, the indecent people will not throw away their weapons. And I tell you that the day that all decent people throw down Their weapons will be the day that the they fade utterly out of existence. But that day will never come. For there be always a few people in the universe who are not only decent, but also very wise, and that know what I write here.
If anybody wants to insult me for this, go ahead, it's still true.

Leto II
Member # 2659

quote:
Hero rises to meet the Emperor

Thank you for duly recognizing. It will be remembered.

quote:
You seem to have my intentions mistaken.

Then, please, illuminate.

quote:
Judging simply from what I’ve seen, which I must admit is far from all-inclusive, and the opinion that I state is far from the status quo here and so thus I seem to be contentious.

So, you admit that you could be wrong, but you're posting contention 'just because'?

quote:
However, I’m merely stating what I feel is constructive to the conversation.

Yes, and being summarily told that, for the most part, you are off base. Yet, you persist in the contention, often reiterating of doctoring your statements to be retold. So, you're not actually sharing discourse, you're making statements- albeit statements in the middle of a conversation. However you're not conversing, you're just stating. There's a difference between conversing and sharing, and waiting for your next opportunity to make a statement. You're doing the latter, most others here, the former. That's part of the biggest contention.

quote:
My view of the future unified world varies from many of the people in this forum. Perhaps my opinions are not as valid as everyone else’s, but I’d rather not believe that.

I'm sure your views and opinions are as valid as anyone else's here, but it's more the way you communicate it that is the problem. When you can stop 'making statements', and actually discourse with some of these people, you'll find that you'll be taken a lot more seriously.

quote:
Also if people attack my opinion I simply give what thoughts have led me to that conclusion. This is hardly what I would call stroking my own ego, nor protecting.

I'll offer a suggestion- stop assuming that your views and your opinions are fact. You'll feel less 'attacked' that way, and you don't have to center on feeling that way, which is, whether you like it or not, arrogant. Don't feel bad, there are a lot of arrogant people here. I, for one, am probably among one of the more arrogant pricks of the bunch.

Learn to communicate better, and you may meet with less problems here. Think about that. Think hard.

Hero's Blood
Member # 3534

Hero gives a simple lesson

If you want to be a great leader,
you must learn to follow the Tao.
Stop trying to control.
Let go of fixed plans and concepts,
and the world will govern itself.

The more prohibitions you have,
the less virtuous people will be.
The more weapons you have,
the less secure people will be.
The more subsidies you have,
the less self-reliant people will be.

Therefore the Master says:
I let go of the law,
and people become honest.
I let go of economics,
and people become prosperous.
I let go of religion,
and people become serene.
I let go of all desire for the common good,
and the good becomes common as grass.

Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

Admittedly, now that I've read a good portion of hero's words, I'm a little disappointed, but I still think the titles are cool.
Leto II
Member # 2659

Irami, I don't think he'd be so bad if he learned the simple art of communication. He may still be off-base, but he'd learn a whole lot more easily.
nahallaG
Member # 3356

- posted      Profile for nahallaG           Edit/Delete Post 
Well he certainly is good at getting a thread off topic....
Posts: 16 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suntranafs
Member # 3318

yeah, back to the old subject eh?
Kyle Altis
Member # 3597

- posted      Profile for Kyle Altis   Email Kyle Altis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
kosmik: please remember that this is just the flight and fancy of fourteen year olds. We didn't think we knew it all, we didn't have any solutions... we were just looking at possibilities

Of all the places on the Internet, this one -- grounded in Ender! -- might perhaps be slightly more willing to consider the ideas of 14-year-olds (former or present) on their own merit … and perhaps allow that they might come up with some solutions those older might be too set in their ways to seriously consider -- or even to see.
quote:
what makes some people listen to others? Why would the world follow a "Locke"?

The answer to that is to some extent inherent in the way this thread seems to be going: we tend to follow what we agree with, and most of us seem to be far too strongly individualistic to defer our own interpretation of the greater good to anyone else’s. In a nation of leaders, who is willing to step aside from personal/national ambition and make choices which, to truly follow the greater good, may go against themselves? their family? their country? Completely independent of what might be required to make any such position tenable, we seem unable even to release representative government as a primary tenet!
quote:
The Tao is neither selfish nor proud.
The Tao is generous and graceful in what it does without ever claiming any merit
And the sage’s greatness lies in taking no credit.

It is more important to most of us to be proven right, to be given credit, to lead. It is most important to ensure a type of personal immortality by biasing in favour of those who carry forward our genes and our beliefs. We are primarily selfish -- but the expression of such selfishness depends entirely on our understanding of what constitutes Self. Self is not synonymous with individuality. Self can become synonymous with the human species as a whole -- but those whose (necessarily biased, because human) interpretations of greater good are not followed to the letter must see any decision which does not favour those interpretations as being against the greater good: manifest destiny in action.

So, perhaps, what we actually seek in a leader is the appearance of catering to our own wishes?

Posts: 53 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 18 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  16  17  18   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.