FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Discussions About Orson Scott Card » Orson Scott Card's collected posts (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Orson Scott Card's collected posts
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Tom, do you ever worry that someone might actually read your other posts on this subject and wonder what you're trying to do?

Honestly? No, I never do.
Because I say what I mean, mean what I say, and do not engage in silly games. I do not do it. I don't play that way. I don't post that way. I have absolutely no interest in that sort of manipulation. I would not, for example, pretend to start a thread about archiving Card's posts as a pretext to criticize someone if I did not also believe that archiving Card's posts would have value.

You will find it MUCH easier to understand me if you understand this. I think half the problem you have with me, Survivor, is that you assume I'm a much more complicated person than I am.

---

That said, users cannot search through all of Card's posts "if they know how." They can revisit his recent posts, as your first post in this thread explains, but this forum regularly purges threads which have not received replies within a certain period. Almost all of Card's historical posts are in fact gone.

And -- as I have said before -- I like and respect the guy, and agree with the assertion that his fans might like to know what he's said on a given subject. While I don't know how he would feel about having his words here preserved for posterity, I think that a number of dedicated fans might in fact see value in doing precisely that.

I agree with your recent argument that the preservation of context would be a concern; in fact, I mentioned that issue earlier. But I see no reason why a thread archive would be impossible to set up, if you really think his words are worth preserving and would be of interest to a fan.

If this is a project you think you'd like to start, I suggest using another thread to do it precisely because the kind of people who love this site and would be willing to devote their time to what would be in many cases a very dull process are very unlikely to wade through some of the irrelevant and hostile-sounding parts of this thread to get to serious proposals. A thread which concentrated only on a serious proposal -- and which avoided veiled criticism of other posters, to avoid the possibility of unrelated confrontation or argument -- would probably get a more positive response from the people you'd need to reach.

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Though I believe the idea behind this collecting of OSC comments is a kind offer -- I'm pretty sure the adminstrators would resist [Smile] It certainly would not make Landmark status. Landmarks are for what they are -- people's own story about themselves. Random comments are not a Landmark. And the forums were always meant to be a fluid conversation with it's ups and downs. Many of the old stuff is gone -- as are many of the old citizens of Hatrack who either felt unwelcome here or found other things to spend their lives on. So, how about we put an end to this conversation all together. Thanks.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.