FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What movie is *this*? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What movie is *this*?
Thalia
Member # 3891

- posted      Profile for Thalia   Email Thalia         Edit/Delete Post 
Yah, I'm wondering if somebody didn't just make it up and for some reason we all remember it...

Thalia

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
But I KNOW it! [Mad]
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Then TELL us! [Razz]

[ April 04, 2003, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: narrativium ]

Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thalia
Member # 3891

Hm.

Should we take the red pill or the blue pill, people?

Thalia

Posts: 204 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, folks --we need to BUCKLE DOWN with this one!!

The picture in my mind is of either a girl asking a guy, or a guy asking a guy. I'm almost 95% sure that the "answerer" is a male. Everytime i say these lines in my head, a little teensy bit of my brain goes "OOH!" and shoots this microsecond memory at me -- but then I lose it.

IT'S DRIVING ME UP A WALL

edit: WAIT, WAIT!!
Is it possible the the quote is actually:

quote:
Person 1: (tries thing) But...it doesn't do anything!

Person 2: I know! That's the beauty of it!

?? because that sounds even more familiar

[ April 04, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

Same here, I'm pretty positive the answerer is male.

Maybe if we combine all of our microseconds of memory together...

Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
narrativium
Member # 3230

- posted      Profile for narrativium           Edit/Delete Post 
Thali, was that supposed to be a rather obvious clue, or a reference to us falling down a metaphorical rabbit hole?
Posts: 1357 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

Wait a second...Thalia knows the answer!?

edit: narr, it can't be the Matrix because the only person in that movie who would answer like that would be Mouse. And he doesn't. [Smile]

[ April 04, 2003, 02:29 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

No. And that couldn't be a clue, because it's wrong.
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
She had better damn well not.

[edit: hellooo, Kira--Alice in Wonderland reference, too]

[ April 04, 2003, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

The only thing that would make sense in an AiW scenario would be if ALICE was the asker, about an inanimate object. I can't think of anytime that that would fit. Any Alice experts?

edit: stupid UBB. nevermind. I didn't find anything

[ April 04, 2003, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Leonide ]

Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the quote is slightly wrong, too, because I think I know precisely where it's from. Unfortunately, I'm not able to find a script for the movie I think it is. But I'm gonna keep looking....

Anyone have a site that provides a horrendous number of movie scripts?

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
porcelain girl
Member # 1080

- posted      Profile for porcelain girl   Email porcelain girl         Edit/Delete Post 
it is most certainly not willy wonka.

i also feel the quipper is male.

Posts: 3936 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeni
Member # 1454

How about if you tell us what you think it's from? [Smile]
Leonide
Member # 4157

Drew's Script-O-Rama

This is what I've been using, Pop. It doesn't have an *insane* amount of scripts, but...

Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh... If we manage to eliminate everything it's not... [Eek!]
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

[url= http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=movie+quote+%22That%27s+the+beauty+of+it%22]Google Search...may possibly prove useful![/url]

If the URL on this doesn't work, just copy and paste and i think it should...my latest google search.

I have to run for like 10 minutes to go pick up my sister...don't go figuring it out without me!! [Wink]

Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason, the movie "Real Genius" keeps coming to mind here...
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't find it at that site, Leo.

I really wanted to confirm it before I posted. Maybe I should go rent the movie....

--Pop

Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
I linked another script site on the first page. It seemed to have a lot of scripts.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

Hmmm... There was a link on the first page about the movie Brazil. I'm pretty sure it wasn't from Brazil, but could it be a Monty Python quote?
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a strange feeling the quote is actually from a TV series thats had a lot of reruns for the episode the quote is in lately, which would explain why it isn't turning up, even in carefully constructed searches which should deal with different wordings well, in movie scripts (many of which are online, unlike most tv episodes).
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like something that might be from a cartoon. The inventor duck from the Donald Duck/Ducktales cartoon rings a bell for some reason.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

fugu might be right -- but it would have to be a really popular show. Same with the movie -- everyone I've said the quote to said they recognized it. Of course, that may be because (as is evidenced by the many google searches i've performed) it appears to be a really popular phrase.
Jeni
Member # 1454

[Mad]
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

Tried that site, too, solo. Still no luck.

As to Real Genius, that's a possibility. When Kent asks about the ice? Again, I don't think the quote is exact. That's not the movie I was thinking of, though.

--Pop

Jeni
Member # 1454

This thread is making me need some of these. [Mad]
Leonide
Member # 4157

*never saw Real Genius*

isn't it possible that variations on this theme are found in just...a huge amount of movies that we've all seen? Is it possible that the phrase didn't actually *originate* anywhere?

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
Real Genius is starting to feel like a possibility. I looked for a script of it online, but couldn't find it.

I'm thinking the exchange is between Mitch and the guy of Asian descent. I'm pretty sure it's Val Kilmer doesn't say it, and I don't think the girl Jordan does.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's Real Genius, it didn't make This list
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

quote:
Moles and trolls, moles and trolls, work, work, work, work, work. We never see the light of day. We plan this thing for weeks and all they want to do is study. I'm disgusted. I'm sorry but it's not like me, I'm depressed. There was what, no one at the mutant hamster races and we had one entry into the Madame Curie look-alike contest and he was disqualified later. Why do I bother?
I wish I had written this line. [Big Grin]

quote:
Mitch Taylor: The weirdest thing just happened to me.
Chris Knight: Was it a dream where you were where you see yourself standing in sort of sun-god robes on a pyramid, with a thousand naked women screaming and throwing little pickles at you?
Mitch Taylor: No...
Chris Knight: Why, am I the only one who has that dream?

Or this.

[ April 04, 2003, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

Another vote via e-mail for Real Genius.

Would somebody watch it, already?! The copy at my Blockbuster is rented out.

Slash the Berzerker
Member # 556

- posted      Profile for Slash the Berzerker   Email Slash the Berzerker         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was the guy that played the druggy buddy in 'Better off dead"?

When I say that line in my head, I picture that guy saying it.

Posts: 5383 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

- posted      Profile for Kayla   Email Kayla         Edit/Delete Post 
Curtis Armstrong

Risky Business
Revenge of the Nerds
One Crazy Summer
Clan of the Cave Bear
Jingle All the Way

Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ace of Spades
Member # 2256

- posted      Profile for Ace of Spades           Edit/Delete Post 
He was also in Back to the Batcave.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sopwith
Member # 4640

- posted      Profile for Sopwith   Email Sopwith         Edit/Delete Post 
Booger!!!!!!!!
Posts: 2848 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

AoS, I didn't list all 34 movies and 41 notable guest appearances. Just the highlights...though if you think Return to the Batcave is a highlight...
Posts: 9871 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dobbie
Member # 3881

- posted      Profile for Dobbie           Edit/Delete Post 
I think portraying The Riddler would be a highlight of anyone's career.
Posts: 1794 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

You think? I don't think that is what I'd call the highlight of Jim Carrey's career. [Wink]
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record: I did not borrow Frisco's copy of Real Genius.

--Steve

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
What about "Sneakers"? I can kind of see Robert Redford or River Phoenix having this conversation with the blind guy. Especially with the answering machine box.
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't see Sneakers being that much a part of culture for us all to be exposed to it...I know I haven't seen it.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
If the combined forces of Hatrack and Craigslist cannot solve this puzzle, this is truly the end of the universe as I know it. [Frown]

That's it, I'm writing an email to Roger Ebert.

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
"What the hell spell were you trying to do?"

"Ra Tilt."

Guildenstern grabbed Rosencrantz by the shoulders and shook him, hard.

"You know the Ra Tilt and you never told me?"

"It doesn’t do anything, I thought I’d tell you when it works."

Guildenstern dropped Rosencrantz. "You have no idea what it does?"

"No, what does it do?"

Kayla
Member # 2403

This is really driving me crazy.
Kayla
Member # 2403

quote:
When the inventor was asked about the function of the weird machine, he replied, “What does it do? Oh, it doesn’t do anything, but doesn’t it run beautifully?”

Thalia
Member # 3891

Oh my freaking gosh... I leave for a few hours and you people are going nuts... I apologize to anyone whose peace of mind has been ruined by the attempt to place those lines. I'm just sharing the insanity we've experienced over the last few years... but you guys are hardcore. [Smile]

I want to stress that I do NOT know what the movie is... this is not a mindgame. My red/blue pill comment was a reference to the fact that this could very well be a conspiracy that we're untangling. Thinking about these lines is like experiencing deja vu.

I doubt it's Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead... I've seen that a couple of times, and it's also not THAT widely known.

Thalia

Godric
Member # 4587

As a proud owner of Sneakers (it was one of my first DVD purchases) I know it's not from there...
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
I am *THIS CLOSE* to losing it people. Must .... find .... answer ....

The only thing keeping me sane is Annie's Equestrian Quartet [Smile]

[ April 04, 2003, 11:52 PM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
I keep thinking "Real Genius," when Knight is showing off that Radio-Controlled sphere thing to Mitch...

I'm going to have to go check this tonight. I'll post Saturday with the skinny on RG.

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.