FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The DM says: "OK, now you're a satanist." (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The DM says: "OK, now you're a satanist."
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone can guide me to how to copy the original, I think I'm going to tackle the "mormon" one, although, don't worry, it won't be about Mormons, it'll be about Marmallows, those who worship the all powerful Marshmallow.

[Smile]

Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Head Ditch Digger
Member # 5085

- posted      Profile for Head Ditch Digger   Email Head Ditch Digger         Edit/Delete Post 
sarcasticmuppet, straight to the telestial kingdom with you, you rock-loving Potter-reading left-leaning Fantasy-playing heathen. [Smile]
Posts: 1244 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor-

Just right-click on it and save it as a picture, import it into just about any program (heck, Paint will even work), and just block out the text with white rectangles and type over it.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
Sarcasticmuppet, you have inadvertently finally given me an answer for the "what do you consider yourself?" thread:
quote:
depraved Catholic

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
oh come on. "Endorse-depraved Catholic" is much better. [Big Grin]

[ July 28, 2003, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

- posted      Profile for The Silverblue Sun   Email The Silverblue Sun         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't save it. I've got to print it.
Posts: 2752 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

- posted      Profile for T. Analog Kid   Email T. Analog Kid         Edit/Delete Post 
I do, indeed, endorse many depraved things...

<appeals to our hosts yet again for inclusion of the evil smiley>

Posts: 2112 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taalcon
Member # 839

- posted      Profile for Taalcon   Email Taalcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Why won't it save, T? Right-clicking the graphic should bring up the 'save picture as' option - and then tell 'er where you want to put it. That isn't working?
Posts: 2689 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

when I right click it and save as...

it says I don't have permission...

I'm printing one out as we speak...

maybe I can figure it out by the time I do another one. [Smile]

Does Foobonic let us post stuff yet???

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
*is a depraved Catholic*

And I am willing to post any parodies of Chick tracts on my website of anyone has problems getting them up themselves. Come to think of it, I may have some fun with one of the Catholicism ones myself. Or maybe the KJV one...

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
That Walter Porter needs to pay attention to his own "Second Mile" essay....*glares at his co-religionist*
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I had this discussion with my husband the other day:

Me: You know that verse where Paul says "Wives, submit to your husbands?"

Him: Yep. Go get me another Diet Dr. Pepper.

Me: Shut up. No seriously, and the commandment for husbands is to love their wives as Christ loved the church, right?

Him: Yep. I love you.

Me: Well, I was thinking, the man is supposed to be the spiritual leader in the home, and he's supposed to emulate Christ as much as possible. Right?

Him: Um hmm.

Me: Well, Christ was the spiritual leader over the disciples, wouldn't you say?

Him: I'm scared of where this is going.

Me: And he showed his love of them through service, he washed their feet, remember?

Him: Oh no.

Me: I think you owe me quite a few pedicures.

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Still Voices needs to pay better attention to his website. The title that appears at the top of the window is "For Men Willing to Accept ALL of God's Truth". Okay, I'm a woman. Does this mean I'm exempt?
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it, Belle [Smile]
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm relieved, Belle. I thought your husband was going to be DEAD by the end of that conversation ...
Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

- posted      Profile for Geoffrey Card   Email Geoffrey Card         Edit/Delete Post 
This one is particularly insane: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1004/1004_01.asp

How can someone possibly believe that each of our salvation depends on blindly accepting the word of an overbearing born-again Christian who comes out of the blue and says that we must do X and NOT do Y and Z in order to be saved? I mean ... I'd feel patronizing just trying to explain everything that's wrong with that!

Why do I need to do what you say?
The Bible says so.

Why should I believe the Bible?
Because ... um ... lots of people verified the stories in it.

Really? Where are their testimonies written?
In the Bible.

That's convenient.
Isn't it beautiful, how simple the Gospel is? Now, will you say the prayer?

I'd rather go to hell. Apparently, that's where intelligent, discerning people go. I don't think I could handle the low grade of conversation in heaven.

[ July 28, 2003, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Posts: 2048 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Ok. The first half of my Chicky and the Mallows is done, where do I put it????

<<<my parody of The Visitors>>>

fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Thor: you need to turn off javascript, then go visit the page.

One of these pages should have the answer for you:

https://gandalf.registrar.ualberta.ca/webservices/service_pages/Browsers.html

http://www.lithosjigs.com/cart/enablejava.html

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

If you email it to me, I can put it up on my website.
Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

Hey, if Chick only accepts the KJV, what in the world translation is he using here?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5001/5001_01.asp

The best part is his assertion that the creation HAD to take place in seven 24-hour days, because if it didn't, the plants (day 3) would all have died before the sun (day 4) was created.

So ... The Genesis account is true because its arbitrary time periods line up with its arbitrary order of events?

[ July 28, 2003, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: Geoffrey Card ]

Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
No Geoff, the best part was when he said that Adam knew he was doing wrong but ate the fruit anyways, despite the fact that Adam and Eve didn't know right from wrong before they ate the fruit...

[Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
*has a headache from reading those*
It's stuff like that that just... arg >.<

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I just sent my Jack Chick Parody to Equal Legit ( [Smile] )

I hope you like it.

<T>

Geoffrey Card
Member # 1062

A classic Jack Chick quote:

"Don't make the mistake of believing that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. That's a LIE straight from the devil!"

[from "Happy Halloween" ... emphasis his]

Let me paraphrase that:

"Welcome to my sick little world, where God is a childish, narcissistic bastard who doesn't love you as much as he loves to hear his own name. There is no justice in the world, and the only way to avoid eternal pain is to get in good with the guy in charge."

Was Jack Chick's theology formulated in Stalin's Russia or something? Hmm ... well, he does owe his tracting methods to Chairman Mao ...

Sorry, this guy pisses me off once every six months or so, and threads like this give me the chance to vent about it [Smile]

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I checked my email, and it doesn't look like I have it. [Frown] Would you mind trying again?

eaquae_legit@hotmail.com

fugu13
Member # 2859

Make sure you keep that filesize small, Thor, hotmail is picky.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

How small?
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

I tried again. How small must the file be?
Hobbes
Member # 433

About 1MB. Your might not be able to compress your file enough. I can try hosting it, which would give me an excuse to try and figure out what my non-hotmail e-mail is. Give a few minutes and I'd be happy to host.

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

OK Thor, give it a shot. This is a high school run service so the attachment is a chancy proposition but it technically should work.

wahra@babylonia.flatirons.org

Hobbes [Smile]

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

Ok hobbesy, but I'm warning me, mine better be funny for all the trouble this is taking!
The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

It has been sent.

Did you get it?

Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

I've got it and it is now being posted. I'll put the link in the parody thread.
Hobbes
Member # 433

Yep, your parodoy is here.

By the way, thanks for testing out my e-mail Thor, I've put that off for about 4 months now. [Embarrassed] [Cool]

Hobbes [Smile]

[ July 28, 2003, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Hobbes ]

The Silverblue Sun
Member # 1630

No. Thank you.

Hobbes and Legit.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A classic Jack Chick quote:

"Don't make the mistake of believing that good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. That's a LIE straight from the devil!"

[from "Happy Halloween" ... emphasis his]

Let me paraphrase that:

"Welcome to my sick little world, where God is a childish, narcissistic bastard who doesn't love you as much as he loves to hear his own name. There is no justice in the world, and the only way to avoid eternal pain is to get in good with the guy in charge."

Honestly, I sort of understand why some people are atheists. These fundi-'mentals' ruin religion for everyone!

LOVE the parody Thor! I think I might write one about pancakes. Not just any pancakes, mind you, but Pat's SPECIAL pancakes.

If only I can figure out how to copy a website onto a paint program and email it.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that instead of making parodies to mock these people--or maybe along with making parodies, because parodies are always fun [Wink] --we should come up with a well-worded essay in letter format to send. It will probably be futile, but, firstly, it might get a very interesting reply, and, secondly, we might actually shift their fortress of irrational beliefs slightly.

What to other people think?

If we're going to do this, I think we should have a bunch of core ideas that we want to cover, based on the tracks we've read and issues we want to bring forward. We could have several points, I'd personally like to see the following:

• Roleplaying games -- I'm an RPG grayface through-and-through, of course I want to bring this up!
  • A defense of the LDS church -- I'm not a Mormon, but I like the Mormons and envy them in a few ways.
  • Flaws in faith -- Someone here must be able to point out the holes in scripture on the site. I know they're there, but I'm not versed enough to see them.
  • Closed worldview -- At least point out that there is no evidence that they're right and everyone else is wrong.
That's all I can think of for now, but I want to know if anyone else is interested. If a bunch of people sign their names, we'd at least be assured of a reply.
Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

WheatPuppet: I can assure you that people such as this receive hundreds of such letters yearly. It only strengthens their resolve, because it shows them how the "great Satan" feels threatened by their work.
WheatPuppet
Member # 5142

- posted      Profile for WheatPuppet   Email WheatPuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you talking about websites or images?

Entire websites (including images) can be captured by going to File and hitting Save, and usually there's a "save recursive" option which grabs all the images and other files needed to make the page work. Then it's just picking apart HTML and poking at the images a little.

HTML is one of the most non-scary markup languages out there. Just open the html file in a text editor, and you'll figure it out, I bet.

Posts: 903 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

fugu's right, wheat. Chick and Co. would burn it with all their other satanic paraphrenalia (dice, action figures, Spam, etc). Besides, if they admit to being wrong, their whole world would just collapse, and noone wants that...:::maintains straight face:::

What we should do is fight fire with fire. We should start our own comic. It worked in China, after all. [Wink]

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Back to Belle for a second, who has hit on one of my pet peeves... I'd just like to point out that you are actually understating your case by a great deal. In The Four Loves, C. S. Lewis points out that the husband is supposed to give himself up as Christ did for the church-- as lewis extrapolates: "the ideal Christian Marriage is the one most like a crucifixion of the husband" and "the fairer sex need begrudge us neither of these crowns [sexual dominance and headship of the house] for one is of paper and the other of thorns."

Drastic view perhaps, but much more in line with Paul's words than the Southern Baptist Convention.

ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
<laughs> I loved the suicide note best! That was so great! (In Tom's, I mean.)

[ July 29, 2003, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: ak ]

Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
TAK, do you actually have the entire Lewis (and Chesterton) canon memorised or do you just have copies ready to hand? I'm actually asking seriously as you quote both of them frequently and at length.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

I have the entire name memorizied, does that count?

Hobbes [Smile]

T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

CLose to memorized, yes...

I'm missing a couple of Lewis, and I haven't read Chesterton's most famous stuff-- The Father Brown mysteries...

Chesterton, especially, is very quotable... more so even than Einstein.

Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
TAK, I know what you're saying. There is no way I would trade my role in our marriage for my husband's. Things are as they are because they work best.

The conversation about pedicures was just supposed to be funny. [Smile] I try my little jokes out on people usually before I write them up, to make sure they are as amusing as I think they are. I can be biased, you know. [Razz]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T. Analog Kid
Member # 381

Oh, Belle, it *WAS* funny... it just happened to touch one of my favorite soapboxes... you know, the one where I get to pretend I'm a noble martyr hanging on the cross for my family when what I really want to do is say "bring me another beer, wench!" ;-)
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
For those instances, I'd keep a stock of nonalcoholic beer. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I could do a few parodies if I knew how these were created. Those "faith-only" bits are seriously irksome.

{Flaws in faith -- Someone here must be able to point out the holes in scripture on the site. I know they're there, but I'm not versed enough to see them.}

Wheatpuppet, I doubt it will do any good, but if you really want to try it I'm up for this.

[ July 29, 2003, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: Maccabeus ]

Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jacare Sorridente
Member # 1906

- posted      Profile for Jacare Sorridente   Email Jacare Sorridente         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes- I just e-mailed you a parody, if you wouldn't mind posting it. It was a great deal of fun to make.
Posts: 4548 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.