FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » GAAAAaaahhhh! (or why do guys have to pee all over the toilet?) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: GAAAAaaahhhh! (or why do guys have to pee all over the toilet?)
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
mack, every toilet I've seen has both a seat (lid) and a rim that are hinged in the back. Both lift up when you grab them and lift.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's always safe to pee in the shower in the dark.
And there's no seat to put down.

*wanders away, whistling innocently, hoping Diane doesn't read this*

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

- posted      Profile for skillery   Email skillery         Edit/Delete Post 
I got caught once. My wife once decided to get in the shower with me and exclaimed: "what's that smell?!"
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I would have to be heavily sedated in order to bring myself to pee in the shower. It just ... wouldn't happen.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I had to do that for a while when I was having trouble urinating after the catheter I had while in labor. It was the only place I could manage.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

...just save washing your feet and legs till last.
Posts: 2655 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

- posted      Profile for TMedina   Email TMedina         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I'm a guy and there is no freaking way I could or would be comfortable urinating in the shower.

The notion of standing in or subsequently handling something recently sprayed is just not a fun idea.

The ugh, ick factor is way, way too high here.

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The notion of standing in or subsequently handling something recently sprayed is just not a fun idea.

I would advise you, then, to never, never, never, walk barefoot on a grassy surface, especially near trees, lightposts, etc.

And as for chewing on a blade of grass...

(best left to easily squicked imaginations)

[Razz]

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
notion of standing in or subsequently handling something recently sprayed
...has probably never known the joy of a warm pee in a cold lake while waiting for the ski boat to pick him up.
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I can't even imagine peeing in the shower. Or a pool or lake that I was freaking immersed in. Yeah, I know, the fish are all doing it, why shouldn't you, but bleagh!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

There is a very good reason why I don't run barefoot in the grass near civilization. [Razz]

-Trevor

Posts: 5413 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

This is why you scored on the girl side of the brain sex test, Noemon.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I'm finding I like the girl side of the brain test, particularly in regards to this thread.

*will never, ever take a bath in anyone's tub but my own, ever again

-----------------------------

*Light Bulb Moment

Whoa. So that's why my ex's friend Andy insisted on scrubbing down the bathtub before I used it, back when we visited him in Chicago.

Oh, my innocence. 'Tis gone. 'Tis truly gone. [Frown]

[ March 14, 2005, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMedina
Member # 6649

Not necessarily, CT - not many men take baths and as such, don't keep the tub as clean as perhaps we would otherwise.

-Trevor

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yes, I'll admit, my penchant for not peeing all over myself is a distinctly feminine trait. [Razz]
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

But I scored all the way over on the female side, and have peed in the shower when necessary. So there. [Razz]
zgator
Member # 3833

quote:
Yes, I'll admit, my penchant for not peeing all over myself is a distinctly feminine trait
I have to say that if you do pee in the shower, you're much more likely to do it all over yourself if your a female than if you're a male.

I've got a big walk-in shower with a big drain on the floor. You can't miss it. Not if you've got good aim. [Cool]

Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Aiming in the dark is easy, but it does require letting your shins hit the bowl to help sense placement.

A good reason not to splash the rim. [Smile]

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
to help sense placement
But you still have to account for nocturnal variations in the nature of the nozzle.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

[Evil Laugh] I just thought of something very, very evil. [Evil]
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
this is sort of off the current topic, and i may have even said it last may, but the cutest thing I've ever seen was when I was a cadet teacher as a high school senior, one of my main responsibilities was to stand outside the boys bathroom to make sure nothing happened, if i heard screaming or crying I could go in. Well one day I heard something loud (I think someone jumped off the sink) so I looked in, and all the little boys were standing at the urinals but had their pants and underwear totally down on the floor (first graders).
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skillery
Member # 6209

quote:
...totally down
Depending on the orientation of the local populace, you may also see that in certain airport terminals around the country.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
it wouldn't be as cute in an airport with normal size urinals (first grade bathrooms are adorable) or strange men around. *shudder*
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
First grade toilets are a dire threat to the inflexible.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AntiCool
Member # 7386

- posted      Profile for AntiCool   Email AntiCool         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
all the little boys were standing at the urinals but had their pants and underwear totally down on the floor (first graders).
I got mocked for this when I first went to kindergarten. I'm not joking or exaggerating when I say that I was scarred by that cruel teasing.
Posts: 1002 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, there's the lid, the seat, and THEN the rim of the actual bowl, zgator. That's why I was confused.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(in the dark, it's hard to tell if it's the seat or the rim)
So feel around the area of the lid. If there's an additional component there, it's the seat; put it down. If there isn't, you're safe. How hard is that? Are women really so delicate and helpless that they aren't capable of finding a bloody toilet seat and then putting the damn thing down themselves?

I'll concede the argument that men use the seat in two different positions and women use it in only one. So yes, it is courteous for a man to put the seat down if there are women who share the toilet with him. But any woman who would actually get angry and start fights over something so trivial as the position of a toilet seat is not a woman with whom I could share my toilet, or my bed, or anything else. Life is too bloody short for that kind of nonsense.

For the record, the default position of my own toilet is to have the lid itself down. It looks nicer, and anyone who needs to use it has to move something. Equal opportunity inconvenience.

Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
We also put the lid down.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Verily the Younger
Member # 6705

- posted      Profile for Verily the Younger   Email Verily the Younger         Edit/Delete Post 
So what are you complaining about? Pull up the lid, have a seat, and get on with it. No risk there.
Posts: 1814 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you folks ever considered a nice compromise?

Sorry dudes, but urine is a LOT cleaner than any natural body of water you'll ever dip your toes in. Has fewer bacteria than what would be found in any swimming pool that you'd wanna get into. The legally allowable concentration of bacteria/etc in tapwater is higher than what would be found in fresh urine from a healthy person.
Urine's got a nasty reputation mostly cuz it's loaded with nutrients which encourage bacterial growth at room temperature after it's out of the body.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tern
Member # 7429

- posted      Profile for tern   Email tern         Edit/Delete Post 
Problem solved. You can thank me later. [Wink]
Posts: 561 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Wome pee all over the seats in public toilets, which annoys me to no end. This seems to be particularly common in the suburbs, especially wealthier ones.

Can't sit on a toilet seat that might have germs, can't lift the seat because it might have germs, so they just pee all over it, secure in the knowledge that somebody else will clean it up. As long as they miss their expensive shoes, no harm done. [Mad]

I hate those women. HATE them.

Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my solution: Next time you have to clean it up, use his shirt. You should not have to clean it up, so go ahead and personalize it. ICK!!

Here is my gripe: I get sick of hearing complaints from girls that men leave the seat up. We have to put it up, why can't they put it down. Seems fair to me!

EDIT...because I mixed up "down" and "up," which was really confusing!

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
At last, a government website that usefully reveals more than it aggravatingly conceals:
"overseas tourists are using it to plan their entire holidays around toilets listed on the"
National Public Toilet Map.

[ April 18, 2006, 01:02 PM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Warning: Possible TMI. Read at your own risk.

quote:
Can't they aim?
Dunno if anyone else has said this (didn't read the whole thread), but in men's defense the penus is a little harder to aim than most men would admit or women believe. There are really only two modes of fire: on, and off. And the urine preassure doesn't come immediately. It takes a second to start and stop, during which time it kinda dribbles down right beneath the exit. When it finally hits steady stream it's sometimes hard to predict just how powerful the stream is going to be(and therefore just where to aim it), it differs depending on how full the bladder is.

The result of all this is that aiming is a guessing game. Aim too far to the back of the toilet and it may over shoot the rim. Aim too far forward (meaning standing back, because pointing the thing down when the pressure is on really isn't very comfortable) and the initial and final dribbles may miss.

That said...

quote:
Can't they quickly wipe up any little splashage?
Absolutely. But in the case of public toilets, why bother? No one else did... [Wink]
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I maintain that if you are in a woman's home, you should put the damn seat down.

Besides, if we forget to put the seat back up, what's the worst that could happen? I mean, you're going to be LOOKING at the toiled while using it. A lot of times, we just sit down. And then if the seat's up, bad things happen. Especially if we're in high heels.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bella Bee
Member # 7027

- posted      Profile for Bella Bee   Email Bella Bee         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm the only girl sharing a house with three (sometimes four) blokes. As I see it, it's a total 'good of the many' situation, where the only way to inconvenience the smallest number of people is for the guys to leave the seat up when they're done. I mean, honestly, it's just not a big deal for me.

Having said that, though, I always put the lid down - I was just brought up that way.

Posts: 1528 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Same here. Seat up or seat down was never an issue in my home because the lid was always down. Makes sense to me. Why put a lid on something if you never close the lid?
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I maintain that if you are in a woman's home, you should put the damn seat down.
I agree with you, if the home is only normally inhabitted by women, seat down. When I'm using the toilet in girls suites here in the dorms I always make sure to put the seat down.

However, if it's a shared home, occupied by both men and women, that's another matter. It's just as easy for women to put the seat down as it is for men. Why should men have to raise and lower the seat all the time just so women don't have to lower it on occation?

quote:
A lot of times, we just sit down. And then if the seat's up, bad things happen. Especially if we're in high heels.
It's your own damned fault if you don't look before sitting down. If you expect us to put the seat down that much, that's your problem kiddo. You get no pitty from me if you land in the bowl.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
As an additional incentive, if the lid is closed then each flush does NOT propel an airborne spray of tiny water-and-who-knows-what-else droplets throughout the bathroom.

Oh, and I can't believe this thread got bumped after a year!

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mabus
Member # 6320

- posted      Profile for Mabus   Email Mabus         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, by the way...

I have, on occasion, been known to sit down to pee. But when I was young, I hated to do this--I had discovered the hard way that when I did, I was often by default aiming at the crack between the seat and rim. So it became something I learned not to do.

As someone who must clean toilets night after night, I urge you...PLEASE clean up after yourselves. Men, lift the lids. Women, sit down; cover the seat if you must.

Posts: 1114 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

Noemon has cited a study contradicting the effectiveness of the lid-down method for preventing aerosol dispersement. Perhaps he will recite again for us -- I can't find it. [Smile]
Noemon
Member # 1115

Did I actually cite a study, or was I just speculating about it? I'm remembering something about fecal bacteria on toothbrushes, but I can't remember if that's from the study or from our previous discussion of the topic.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Mythbusters did a segment on the fecal bacteria on toothbrushes.
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

What did they find?
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

I thought it was something citable, Noemon, because I read up on it. Maybe I can go looking again. (Maybe it was Mythbusters? Hmmm.)
Noemon
Member # 1115

I doubt it was Mythbusters, if I cited them. I enjoy the show, but I'm not always terribly impressed with the design of their experiments, and I probably wouldn't use them as any kind of definitive reference.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ClaudiaTherese:
Noemon has cited a study contradicting the effectiveness of the lid-down method for preventing aerosol dispersement. Perhaps he will recite again for us -- I can't find it. [Smile]

No! NOOOOO!

You are removing the teeth from my one really good argument to get people (i.e., my brothers) to close toilet lids.

[Cry]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think the sheer aesthetics of a closed lid is a good enough argument, unless you clean your toilet bowl religiously.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.