FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » GAAAAaaahhhh! (or why do guys have to pee all over the toilet?) (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: GAAAAaaahhhh! (or why do guys have to pee all over the toilet?)
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree, but that will mean nothing to my brothers (well, to at least two of the three).
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"If an alien...studied the bacterial counts...he...would conclude he should wash his hands in your toilet and crap in your sink."
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

"Dr. Gerba has also studied germ counts in the house, and by doing so, discovered the right way to flush the toilet.
You should flush with the lid down.
If you flush with the lid up, a polluted plume of bacteria and water vapour erupts out of the flushing toilet bowl. The polluted water particles float for a few hours around your bathroom before they all land. Some of them will land on your tooth brush."

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dab
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for dab   Email dab         Edit/Delete Post 
It drives me crazy when girls forget to put the seat up after they are done!

But seriously... I prefer that both the seat and lid are down... although in japan, some of the toilets are now automatic so that both seat and lid close when you are done, and lid opens when you walk in the room.

Posts: 104 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
My recollection was that the flush had been shown by somebody (?) to spray out from around the edges of the toilet lid, as there is usually a 1/2" (? or so) space there, thus mitigating the beneficial effect of having the lid shut. (Smaller diameter of spread leading to greater force, I guess, a'la Poiseuille.) But my recollection is hazy at best.
Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

And now available in America.
ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
(it seems to have an "aerated, massaging water stream" which might lead to even exacerbated aerosolization?)

(either that, or maybe some really fun times)

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

- posted      Profile for sndrake   Email sndrake         Edit/Delete Post 
Turns out that we can cut out the mess left by men in the bathroom and be friendly to the environment at the same time:

Brazil forest group: Go green - Pee in the shower

quote:
RIO DE JANEIRO — New TV ads are encouraging Brazilians to save water — by urinating in the shower. Brazilian environmental group SOS Mata Atlantica says the campaign, running on several television stations, uses humor to persuade people to reduce flushes. The group says if a household avoids one flush a day, it can save up to 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water annually.

SOS spokeswoman Adriana Kfouri said Tuesday that the ad is "a way to be playful about a serious subject."

The spot features cartoon drawings of people from all walks of life — a trapeze artist, a basketball player, even an alien — urinating in the shower.

Narrated by children's voices, the ad ends with: "Pee in the shower! Save the Atlantic rainforest!"

Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah! I missed this thread!

Morning Meest.

Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy thread resurrection, batman!
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

[Big Grin]
Posts: 4344 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sndrake
Member # 4941

Looks like the practice is coming out of the (water) closet and out into the open. The Guardian (UK) says there are rules and etiquette to be followed:

(excerpt)
quote:
New television advertisements in Brazil are encouraging people to pee in the shower as a way of conserving water. Our own nation, you may remember, stood divided on the issue a few years ago during Big Brother 3 when Alex was appalled by Jonny's unwillingness to make a distinction between loo and shower basin. The new campaign, however, undoubtedly marks a new stage – or high water mark, if you will – in the world's development, and with new mores comes new etiquette. Remember, you may be weeing in the shower, but there's no need to be rude.

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I like it when activist groups open new opportunities for me.

I've never particularly gotten the whole "put the seat down thing," because putting it down is just second nature to me. Maybe that's a natural consequence of growing up with a single mom, but my brother and I got the putting the seat and lid down thing drilled into us more than going to church (which is why our toilet etiquette is fantastic, but we're both lapsed Catholics who haven't been to church in years).

What annoys me is women who don't put the lid down when they're done. None of my female friends put the lid back down after using our bathroom. I mean, it's a lid, it's meant to cover something. Not putting it down is unnatural, it WANTS to be put down, but they just leave it up. Otherwise why is it even there? Is it decorative?

Am I crazy, or do most people just not utilize their toilet lids? I figured women, of all people, would be the first to put it down, but apparently I'm sort of Y Chromosomed aberration.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
An important question would be: why does your landlady's husband feel free to walk into your house while you're at the grocery store and piss all over your toilet... let alone piss at all in your house? How much of a discount are you getting for the total lack of respect for your privacy, and the seeming contempt of the owners?
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit that, at home, when I'm stumbling into the bathroom in the middle of the night, I often pee standing up in the dark specifically to test my aim. This is part of a multi-activity regimen in which I also see if I can wash my hands and sometimes use the toothbrush in the dark, just to in general increase my capacity for acting blind.

More often, I just pee standing up because it's slightly faster than sitting down (and, as mentioned, sometimes it's.... difficult.... for a guy to pee sitting down). And sometimes I do miss, and oftentimes that doesn't get completely cleaned for the same reason I missed in the first place: it's friggin 3 AM and I'm tired and lazy and I don't feel like it.

None of that's a good reason, but honestly there are a lot of other areas in my life where self improvement is in order, and this is not at the top of the list.

Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by sndrake:
RIO DE JANEIRO — New TV ads are encouraging Brazilians to save water — by urinating in the shower. Brazilian environmental group SOS Mata Atlantica says the campaign, running on several television stations, uses humor to persuade people to reduce flushes. The group says if a household avoids one flush a day, it can save up to 4,380 liters (1,157 gallons) of water annually.

Whoa- is that assuming each person in the household flushes one less time per day? Or does Brazil still use high-flush toilets?

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceria
Member # 11820

- posted      Profile for Traceria   Email Traceria         Edit/Delete Post 
PSI, you can add me to the number who compulsively put the lid down EVERY time.

Strange, but every mention on this thread of getting up in the middle of the night where a specific time was also included, 3 AM was the time.

This thread wins for providing the best mental breaks of the work week!

Posts: 691 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:

Strange, but every mention on this thread of getting up in the middle of the night where a specific time was also included, 3 AM was the time.

I imagine people report and or remember their nighttime wakings as being 3 AM, whether it was in fact 2:15 or 3:55. 3 is just smack in the middle of the night, whereas 2 is too close to not having gotten to sleep, and 4 is too close to just waking up really early.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
Some things I havent found the proper arena to say until now.

Im tall, and that stupid toilet is all the way down there.
Why did you leave the seat down when it was up when you went in?
Isnt that why you put that fluffy carpet around the toilet?
Sitting down is fine and it doesnt make you into a girl, or do you always preform 1 and 2 seperatly no matter what your body needs to do? But understand ladies that our crotch is always in a state of change, and mandatorily sitting down can result in pain or even hairy yellow tea.

And in my experience public mens rooms do not compare to the womens when Ive had to clean both, most men dont like using public toilets for fear of it being dirty anyway and just use the urinals (best invention ever.) Admittedly the mens room smells strongly of urine, but I never had to clean up blood in the mens room.

Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
erosomniac
Member # 6834

- posted      Profile for erosomniac           Edit/Delete Post 
It grosses me out that, despite all of the news stories and studies over the past five years of just how much stuff flies out of your toilet when you flush it, that anyone leaves the lid up. You close the lid and then you flush! This is not rocket science!
Posts: 4313 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

HAH. You don't even have a German style toilet with a health shelf that is liable to splash a liter of water up over the edge in a fountain of fecal matter when you don't close the toilet seat. That's why I pee in the sink, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

- posted      Profile for PSI Teleport   Email PSI Teleport         Edit/Delete Post 
"Health shelf?"
Posts: 6367 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by PSI Teleport:
"Health shelf?"

Dude, trust me when I say you don't wanna know.
PSI Teleport
Member # 5545

The name seems inappropriate.
AchillesHeel
Member # 11736

- posted      Profile for AchillesHeel   Email AchillesHeel         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
HAH. You don't even have a German style toilet with a health shelf that is liable to splash a liter of water up over the edge in a fountain of fecal matter when you don't close the toilet seat. That's why I pee in the sink, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

The kitchen or the bathroom?
Posts: 2302 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marlozhan
Member # 2422

- posted      Profile for Marlozhan   Email Marlozhan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a male and I have sat at the toilet at home for years to pee, because I, too, find it disgusting to get pee everywhere. I have noticed that some other males think they are less masculine for sitting, but I've been doing it for years and so far it hasn't had any detrimental effects on me.

And plus, I can sit and go as fast as any other male can stand, unzip and go.

Posts: 684 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

quote:
Originally posted by Marlozhan:
I have noticed that some other males think they are less masculine for sitting, but I've been doing it for years and so far it hasn't had any detrimental effects on me.

Yes it has. You SIT ON THE TOILET.

quote:

The kitchen or the bathroom?

I don't wanna be pinned down, ok?
lobo
Member # 1761

- posted      Profile for lobo           Edit/Delete Post 
We have our son clean the bathroom as part of his chores. Makes for much cleaner toilets!
Posts: 571 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Traceria:
PSI, you can add me to the number who compulsively put the lid down EVERY time.

Me, too. I have a cat.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe that after 6 years this thread lives on! I feel so honored. Or maybe it's the urine that should feel honored?

I'm happy to report that I have since gotten hitched, and my husband always closes the lid and never leaves pee on the seat. He grew up with 5 sisters, and that's what he was trained to do. In fact, he had to train me to close lid. A happy ending in what could have continued to be a disgusting plight. Now, my sister-in-law, on the other hand...I have no idea how she's coping with my brother's urinary habits. [Razz]

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
In horiffic toilet use news, today I witness the most flagrant violation I've ever seen. Two teenage boys at the mall urinals were laughing at each other, and one intentionally urinated on the wall between their urinals, to splash his friend.

So next time you see a pee-soaked floor, it may just be from a single dipshit.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

Perhaps men would be more willing to be flexible on the urinary issue if women stopped acting like it was their business to dictate our urinary habits as if we were "trained" dogs. Perhaps accepting that male behavior patterns, including those involving urination, are subtly different from, and often incompatible with female expectations. A person can learn to be courteous, but to be held automatically and with the assumption of complete correctness and propriety to a standard that doesn't fit with the sensibilities of their gender? That's demanding something without the understanding that it is something worth asking for. I consider women who lecture me about the toilet to be much ruder than me for leaving the seat up once in a while (and I rarely do).
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you flush with the lid up, a polluted plume of bacteria and water vapour erupts out of the flushing toilet bowl.
Not that I'm disputing these findings, but I have a hard time understanding how this plume erupts upwards. I've done a fair bit of work on atomization and it takes a lot of energy to atomize water to a fine mist. That and the fact that in most home toilets I just don't see where the shear comes in from the gradual filling and swirling that you see in a normal flush.

It also seems contrary to the guy's other finding, that the toilet seat is cleaner than the sink. If this plume erupts from the bowl and floats around the room enough to get bacteria on your toothbrush, why isn't the seat covered in the same bacteria?

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
This is JenniK being too lazy to log off of Kwea and sign in for herself.... my mother used to be a teacher and she told me this story many years ago.
She had a boy who asked to go to the bathroom (about 3rd grade). Several minutes go by and she hasn't returned. She started to worry, so she went down the hall and waited just outside the boys room door. 2 other little boys went in and the noisy giggles of little boys came through the door. She got the janitor to go in and check on her student. He and 4 other boys were standing facing the wall opposite the sinks, having a contest to see who could pee the highest up the wall!

I have cleaned up after my husband and my elderly father. My dad, was by far the worse of the two. His aim is horrible and I have never gone through that much bleach in 10 days before in my life! I do not like a messy nasty bathroom. I am a bit OCD, and would rather wait 'til I get home than use a public toilet if at all possible, but that's just my twisted opinion.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raymond Arnold
Member # 11712

- posted      Profile for Raymond Arnold   Email Raymond Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Something that randomly occurred to me, that doesn't necessarily need to be addressed to anyone in this thread: You know the women who hover above public toilets to avoid getting germs and then inadvertently splash on the lid? Why don't they just RAISE the lid as long as they're not gonna be sitting?
Posts: 4136 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.