FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Baseball (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Baseball
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Playoffs time!

I'm a Yankees fan, so I'm rooting for the Yankees... but I don't know how far they'll get, they just haven't clicked well this year, so I won't be surprised if they stumble and don't win it this year. But I'd like them to at least make it past the Twins to play the Red Sox... and then see either the Yankees or the Red Sox go on to play the Cubs...

*Hopes it won't end up being a Minnesota-Florida series*

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Risuena
Member # 2924

- posted      Profile for Risuena   Email Risuena         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been following baseball that much the past few years (I know where the O's are going to wind up , so why bother? [Wink] ) but I am hoping that both the Cubs and the Red Sox make it to the World Series. I want to find out who's curse is stronger.

Other than that, I don't care who's in the World Series as long as it's not the Yankees.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a Yankees fan, but if they can't make it to the World Series, then I'd love to see Florida win it again. The Marlins have actually been a lot more exciting and fun to watch this year, because they're not always in it, and they're so sxcited and happy about it. Also, Marlins games tend to have more offense than Yankees games.

[Smile]

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the Braves! [Big Grin] (Just ask Hobbes [Wink] )

They make it in the playoffs every year, but never win, and so I want this to be their year. Plus, Javy Lopez is my favorite player, and he's having the best season of his career. It would just be wonderful if he could top it all off with a World Series win. [Smile]

Oh, and I very much dislike the Yankees (sorry guys). I think it would be great if the Red Sox won for the AL.

[The Wave]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Goldner
Member # 1910

- posted      Profile for Paul Goldner   Email Paul Goldner         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in boston.

I'm a die hard fan.

Thats all I have to say about that.

Posts: 4112 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Braves! Javy Lopez is SEXY. The Yankees suck.
That is all.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traveler
Member # 3615

- posted      Profile for Traveler           Edit/Delete Post 
Go Twins! I am SO hoping that the Twins beat the Yankees. The Twins are what baseball is all about. A good TEAM that plays with heart and has good pitching, good defense, and more precision hitting. I get tired of these owners that think they can buy a championship (Yankees / Lakers). Seems like most people count the Twins out since they have such a low payroll...well...they may not get paid the most but you get the most effort / dollar out of any team in baseball! [Big Grin] If the Twins win tonight and get up 2-0 on the Yankees then the Twins will win this series for sure.

-Traveler

Posts: 512 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Yay, RRR! We can be friends. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I live in MN, here's my arbitrary vote for the Twins. Even though they were never the same after Kirby Puckett retired. [Frown]
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seriousfun
Member # 4732

- posted      Profile for seriousfun   Email seriousfun         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up near Chicago, and the '69 Cubs broke my pathetic 12 year old heart...

Then at 18, I moved to Boston to go to school, and lived near Fenway...

I don't think I will be able to function if the Cubs and Red Sox make it to the Series...

Posts: 86 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I love the Braves! (Just ask Hobbes [Wink] )
How come no one's asking?

The Rockies never even came close to making it this season so I'm not all that excited, but it's still baseball gosh darn it!

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Godric
Member # 4587

- posted      Profile for Godric   Email Godric         Edit/Delete Post 
Somewhere a bitter Phillies fan shakes his fist at the sky and curses the gods of baseball...
Posts: 1295 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's go Marlins let's go! I'll admit that after '97 I never expected my team to come within half a season of the playoffs so to same I'm excited is an understatement. If Jeff Loria, the current owner, dismantles this team the tri-county area will lynch him.

[Party]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Why can't we all relieve stress this way at work?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs2003/columns/story?columnist=olney_buster&id=1629398

quote:
[Giambi] is the most prominent Yankee now without a championship, his postseason struggles becoming magnified, and he was booed thickly after whiffing in the fifth inning with two on and two out.

Giambi, the designated hitter, retreated to the clubhouse, where David Wells -- another member of the old guard -- approached him with a handful of magazines featuring clothing-free women, just trying to take the edge of Giambi. In the seventh inning, Giambi's two-run single capped a three-run rally. "I guess it works," Giambi said of the magazine treatment, "to help me relax."

[ROFL]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, now they'll probably start testing baseball players for improper lust...

"Mr. Clemens, what were you thinking about when you won your 300th game?"

"Well, I did think some lustful thoughts -- but only about my wife! I swear!"

[Big Grin]

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

Stupid Yankees won last night... [Grumble]
Icarus
Member # 3162

[The Wave]
[Party]
[Taunt]
[Evil Laugh]
[Razz]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I love the Marlins. Did anyone else see that hit? [Party]
[The Wave] [Party]
[Party] [Party] [The Wave]
[The Wave] [Party]

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
"I live in boston.

I'm a die hard fan.

Thats all I have to say about that."

Yes, Paul, that IS all you have to say about that. I married one of those broken-hearted(or, broken-haaahted) men myself. Actually, two of those men, since you married all Hatrack women.

They WILL win this year. My 7 year-old son will be heart-broken if they lose, and that cannot happen! Not another generation!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paercival
Member # 1408

- posted      Profile for Paercival   Email Paercival         Edit/Delete Post 
red sox 15, A's 6
you heard it here first for tonites game
tomorrow night, burkett throws 7 shutout innings, red sox win 4-2
setting up pedro v zito for game 5 at oakland
red sox win 7-3

Posts: 348 | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Ah, a dreamer.

[Smile]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Is Boston, all we have are dreams. [Wink]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Um, why does the Metrodome have a forty-foot tall half-gallon jug of milk?

o_O

Freaks.

Icarus
Member # 3162

It also has these big old holes behind home plate . . . like ten feet tall!

What a weird freaking stadium!

-o-

Yay, another run! [Big Grin]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

THE MARLINS WON!!! [Party] [Party] [Party] [Party]
[Party]
[Party] [Party]

Hat's off to Pudge [Hat]

Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
HATE the Yankees.
HATE the Braves.

Go Cubs! Go Marlins!

Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Works for me. [Smile]

I can't believe they won. [Eek!] I'm just so happy. [Smile]

Icarus
Member # 3162

What a finish! [Big Grin]
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

You mean again, right?
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yep! [Big Grin]
hansenj
Member # 4034

Well, my Braves lost yesterday, but they didn't let me down tonight! [Big Grin] One more game to decide it... [Angst]

[The Wave]

Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
GO MARLINS!!!!!!!!! [Big Grin]

MARLINS ARE GOING TO THE NLCS!!!!! [Big Grin]

[The Wave]
[Party]

How come you're not online, Icky? I wanted to high five you. [Wink]

Too bad the Cubs lost...I was rooting for them to finish it off tonight... (I can't STAND the Braves - and I absolutely loath hearing their tomahawk chop. [Razz] )

**Ela**

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

::high fives Ela::

I'll be on AIM later on . . . right now I'm still alternating between Hatrack and trying to be productive.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Not an FSU fan then are you, that's ok I'm not either. I prefer the Braves only because I want to replicate '97 and we do better against them.
Ela
Member # 1365

- posted      Profile for Ela           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I went to FSU, so I am an FSU fan.

It's the Braves' tomahawk chop that really irritates me. [Razz]

quote:
::high fives Ela::

I'll be on AIM later on . . . right now I'm still alternating between Hatrack and trying to be productive.

Icky: Productive work? What's that? [Wink]

::high fives Icky::

**Ela**

[ October 04, 2003, 08:42 PM: Message edited by: Ela ]

Posts: 5771 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Oooohh. That figures.

Go Marlins!!!
[The Wave] [Party]
[Party] [Party]

Shlomo
Member # 1912

- posted      Profile for Shlomo   Email Shlomo         Edit/Delete Post 
Who wants to bet against the Marlins???

(Read: who wants to get embarrassed?)

After these last two games, I REALLY don't care what the situation is, becase the Marlins will find a way to win it all.

And if the team is not dismantled, they could very well win it all again. And again. And again.

The MLB will be fun to watch as a high schooler... [Laugh]

Posts: 755 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

Can't the Red Sox win(or lose) without all the drama!?!?!?!?

We're still in it, kids! This is the year!

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

The Red Sox are my second favorite team but I can't say I have any confidence in them. What may turn out to be ironic is if the Marlins lost to the Red Sox in the World Series. It would be especially ironic after seeing my second favorite team beat my favorite team in the Fiesta Bowl. I now hate that team that beat my team. [Mad]

Go Marlins and at least for now Red Sox!!!
[The Wave] [The Wave]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Wow, Boston came through. [Eek!] Will Boston take the series? [Confused] I hope so. [The Wave]

Go Marlins!!! [Party]

Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Um, why does the Metrodome have a forty-foot tall half-gallon jug of milk?

o_O

Freaks.

Hey! I'm one of those freaks, Ic!! And if it's forty feet, it's probably a LOT more than a half-gallon...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

This is the first year my husband has not said, "This is the year!" in almost twenty years of knowing him.

He thinks they will "sh** the bed" in the Series, even if they make it, because, though their hitting team is strong, their pitching team is not as strong, and pitchers win series'.(his words, paraphrased.

Still, because this is the only year he has ever said this, perhaps they WILL win.

Also, with Mars so close to Earth...

JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
MARLINS! Go Marlins! [The Wave] [The Wave]

I've been a die-hard Marlins fan since I was ten. I was there when we won the World Series in '97. And after six years of frustration, rooting for the Marlins is finally fun again. The team I love is back. [Smile]

And we're going to the NLCS!!

[Party] [Party] [Party]

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

"And if it's forty feet, it's probably a LOT more than a half-gallon..."

OK, but if it is a giant's bottle of milk, and they use the same English measuring system as we do, then wouldn't it still be a half gallon? In "Giant?"

(sorry, a bit giddy after game...)

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
THE RED SOX WON! WOOOOOOOOOOO! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

On to Oakland for game five!!!

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Cool! Give the Yanks a nice long break before they face Oakland!

[Big Grin]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Wow, one extra game. [Roll Eyes]

Curse of the Bambino or Curse of Game 5? Who will triumph? Probably Boston so that they'll get another oppurtunity to hate the Yankees. If that were to happen and Atlanta were to win then all four teams remaining would be from the East. Interesting.

Go Marlins!!! [The Wave]
[Party] [Party]

hansenj
Member # 4034

[Cry] [Grumble] [Cry]

Well...there you have it Cubs fans/Braves haters.

Oh well, there's always next year!

Icarus
Member # 3162

. . . Anybody else starting to find this game exciting?
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

No, its still almost as boring as golf. [Sleep]
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.