FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If we are all gods children... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: If we are all gods children...
IrishRage
Member # 5792

- posted      Profile for IrishRage   Email IrishRage         Edit/Delete Post 
A Question for the Christians.
If we are all gods children. Whats the big deal with Jesus?

Posts: 47 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nagaer
Member # 5796

- posted      Profile for Nagaer   Email Nagaer         Edit/Delete Post 
He's just so dreamy.
Posts: 13 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, Christmas is cool too.
Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
God does His best not to pick favorites, but you have to admit that Jesus makes the rest of us look like black sheep.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Baa.
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

Personally I think he just got a good publicist and when his boy friend (Pilot) got pissed at him and killed him his publicist promoted it.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah. So you would be a troll, then. I was wondering.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

No.. Not a troll just Irish.
Nick
Member # 4311

- posted      Profile for Nick           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
No.. Not a troll just Irish.
Maybe an Irish troll. [Wink] [Taunt]
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
*Walks into thread wearing a "Kiss me I'm Irish" shirt. Looks around. Runs out*

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread is not appreciated by all. You ought to know that.

Now I'm leaving.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

- posted      Profile for Ryan Hart           Edit/Delete Post 
*******REAL ANSWER*******

When you become a Christian you are accepted as an adopted child of God. The Bible says a "joint heir" Jesus was the son of God "begotten, not made."

However he is God....
Or his son....
Or a part of God....

Gah I confused myself again!

Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ayelar
Member # 183

- posted      Profile for Ayelar   Email Ayelar         Edit/Delete Post 
"That question is less stupid, though it was asked in a profoundly stupid way."

Actually, it's my understanding that Christian Scientists believe that there is no difference between us and Jesus in ability, only in comprehension of reality. That the material world around us is an illusion, and the "miracles" Jesus performed were simply changes in perception. Sort of a "mind over matter" belief taken to the next level.

Posts: 2220 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

I still dont see why we should all bow down and worship some guy who according to your bible is exactly the same as us. [Hail]
This confuses me and makes me so angry. [Wall Bash]

TomDavidson
Member # 124

Ten bucks says it doesn't, really, and you're just trying to get people riled up.
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
You. IrishRage. Get online. Right now.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Well "my" Bible doesn't say Jesus is the same as I am it, it says he is also a child of God. I certainly don't think that all children are equal to each other, and clearly all of God's children aren't. Now in terms of potential I think we all are equal, but I don't worship Jesus by saying "Jesus I'm so grateful what you could've done", I thank him for what He has done. Just like you thank someone who loaned you bus fair, you thank Jesus, but He's done a lot more than loan you bus fair so thanking Him takes a bit more energy. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

Ohh, and (((((Tom))))))

[Big Grin]

[Cool] <--Tom [Big Grin]

Hobbes [Smile]

Damander
Member # 4439

- posted      Profile for Damander           Edit/Delete Post 
Every single one of us is a spirit child of Heavenly Father. However, Jesus is the only one begotten of the Father in the flesh.

We worship Jesus because he is our Savior and Redeemer. He atoned for all our sins, but we must have faith in Christ and repent in order for the atonement to go into effect in our lives.

We worship him because he did for us what we could not do ourselves. We worship him because he loved us enough to give himself up as a sacrifice for our sins.

There is so much more I could say, but hopefully this will suffice to answer your question.

Posts: 119 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

She's Mormon. Christians disagree with that.
Posts: 650 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
You, of course, meant to say, "non-Mormon Christians disagree with that." Or perhaps, "Not all Christians look at it exactly in that way."
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Every single one of us is a spirit child of Heavenly Father. However, Jesus is the only one begotten of the Father in the flesh.
I agree with Damander's post except that part.
Posts: 4229 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
dkw. If I didn't have to go the Mormon temple right now and devour another baby, I'd send you a little huggie smilie thing.
Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Nick- That would be the "that" I was obviously reffering to in my own mind.

Scott R- Mormons don't qualify as Christians.

Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
oh god.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Scott R- Mormons don't qualify as Christians.
Why not? What makes a Christian a Christian?

Sure, I believe they are misguided when it comes to the matter of the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price, but I do not believe that their belief in those writings negates their belief in Christianity.

Ryan Hart
Member # 5513

Let me clarify. I am not saying that Mormons eat babies, they are not good people, that I don't like them. I am just saying that I don't think you should classify them as Christians anymore than you should classify Christians under Judaists. The reason being their views of Jesus do not line up with evangelical Christian beliefs.

It's an opinion. Something your alowed to have.

Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
It's an opinion. Something your alowed to have.
That's true, but when expressing opinions, try not to have the matter-of-fact approach. [Wink] [Taunt]
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
And also remember to use your and you're correctly. And spell check. That helps a lot.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch it here gang - religious fights are not allowed [Smile] For purposes of the living room of your host -- anybody who believes in Jesus Christ as their Savior and follows his teachings would be a Christian. The End.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
<this post was deleted upon seeing the post above it after it was posted>

thank you!!!!!!!! [Hat] to kacard

[ October 12, 2003, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Toretha ]

Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

[The Wave]
[Hat] kacard [Hat]
[Smile]

IrishRage
Member # 5792

Oh my god, this has turned into a total mormon versus non-mormon bash. If people start dieing, I am so gunna report us, But besides that, im really enjoying this.
-The Annoying Muslim [Evil]

mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Kristine and dkw posted exactly was I was going to post. [Big Grin]
Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick
Member # 4311

quote:
Oh my god, this has turned into a total mormon versus non-mormon bash. If people start dieing, I am so gunna report us, But besides that, im really enjoying this.
-The Annoying Muslim

Not really. I'm not LDS. It's not a LDS vs non-LDS, it's more like LDS and non-LDS vs anti-LDS.
[Wink]

dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
Nor am I LDS. And trying to start a "bash" won't really work here. We've put a lot of effort into learning to discuss religion respectfully, and we're not about to lose our cool over something this basic.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
Irish, are you really Muslim? That's so cool...
Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

dkw, speak for yourself [Wink] [Razz] (that was tongue in cheek, if anyone has doubts.)
TomDavidson
Member # 124

I'm reasonably sure "Irish" is not Muslim. I'm still trying to convince myself he's not Ryan Hart. *laugh*
sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
My Muslim test:
bism allaah irrahmaan irrahiim

Irish, what is that?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

[ October 12, 2003, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: sarcasticmuppet ]

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Professor
Member # 5319

- posted      Profile for the Professor   Email the Professor         Edit/Delete Post 
. . .then somebody owes me mucho delinquient child support. Don't make get all litigious. . . [No No]

Morbo

Posts: 111 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Irish is not Ryan, and he's not Muslim. Other than that I have no constructive advice on how to deal with him.

kacard- If I have a legit, earnest question about the whole naming thing, should I bring it up here, or ask someone privately? (has been wondering about this for a while)

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way, I'd love to hear what you have to say.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Ryan, what on earth is a "Judaist"? Because if you mean someone who practices Judaism, I personally prefer to be refered to as a Jew.

Of course, if you're refering to people who practice Judy-ism, nevermindthen.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obrom
Member # 5793

- posted      Profile for Obrom           Edit/Delete Post 
"refering to people who practice Judy-ism"---drag queens? [Dont Know]
Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Never seen the comic Judy Tenuta, hmm?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Obrom
Member # 5793

Oh, yeah, I haven't seen her in years! "Bow down before me!" She was weird and funny.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

As a member of the Church of Judyism, I am offended by your remarks. [Razz]
Obrom
Member # 5793

Did you know Judy-ism caused the first gay riot? It's true--well,at least partially. [Laugh] [Wall Bash] [Hail] Judy Garland
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it means that when God your Father is ready t' do a smackdown on yer sorry tush, God your Brother is ready to take the licks for ya.

[ October 13, 2003, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: aspectre ]

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.