FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » If we are all gods children... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: If we are all gods children...
Rasputin
Member # 5409

- posted      Profile for Rasputin   Email Rasputin         Edit/Delete Post 
tick tick
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

- posted      Profile for IrishRage   Email IrishRage         Edit/Delete Post 
The sunni and the shiia have been in a state of feud since the british creation of afghanistan. This caused a minor party, the sunni to come to power over the larger shiia populace, this also occured when the british left iran, they put the minorities in charge so as to govern them more easily, this backfired causeing the feud we all know today.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasputin
Member # 5409

so how long was that ago? how many years?
Posts: 53 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasputin
Member # 5409

Sorry, you are off by more than 1000 years.
Rasputin
Member # 5409

You should really brush up on those googling skills--they come in handy sometimes.
IrishRage
Member # 5792

no my friend but you are wrong, that is not the feud we think of today, there was an ancient feud, but it was buried until the britsh caused the opening of an old wound.
Posts: 47 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

the feud oyu think of is the murder of ali caliph after muhhameds death.
Rasputin
Member # 5409

If you knew that why didn't you post it the first time?

What is the origin of their long blood feud?

seems pretty clear to me.

IrishRage
Member # 5792

After muhhamed died, ali his cousin was killed by Sunnis, but after many years of retributionary warfare, that feud was buried. It is a feud dead until the british reopened it.
IrishRage
Member # 5792

it was long but dead rasputin.
Rasputin
Member # 5409

Dude, what part of "origin" do you not understand?

[ROFL]

IrishRage
Member # 5792

fien ask another if you so wish.
Rasputin
Member # 5409

What title can a muslim who has made his pilgrimmage use?
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Rasputin, you DO realize you've done the equivalent of proving that someone's Catholic by asking them to list the seven deadly sins and describe the Spanish Inquisition, right? [Smile]
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasputin
Member # 5409

I cannot prove if he is or isn't Muslim...but all Muslims know the 5 pillars
IrishRage
Member # 5792

ihram
IrishRage
Member # 5792

if u have aim we can talk without hatrack, that would be better
Rasputin
Member # 5409

I believe it is "al-Haij", I could be wrong---I will google your answer

Arabic Ihram, sacred state into which a Muslim must enter in order to perform the hajj (major pilgrimage) or the 'umrah (minor pilgrimage). At the beginning of a pilgrimage, the Muslim stops at a designated station to perform certain ritual cleansing ceremonies; each male shaves his head, cuts his nails, and trims his beard before donning a white, seamless, two-piece garment.

[ October 13, 2003, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Rasputin ]

IrishRage
Member # 5792

the al-haji is the act of pilgrimage, the ihram is the person performing the pilgrimage
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] @ Tom's analogy -- very clever.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
lust, gluttony, sloth, avarice, wrath, pride...sneezy?

And who was expecting the spanish inquisition?

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

but he is known as an ihram, a man purified, he cannot kill, or have sex, or harm plants when he is a ihram
Rasputin
Member # 5409

hmmmm, we need a ruling from a real muslim. I know that after you pilgrimmage you can add something with "Haij" to your name. The definition of ihram says nothing llike that.
IrishRage
Member # 5792

I am a real muslim, but if u wish to argue in length let us get on aim, i cannot stay on hatrack indefinitely
Rasputin
Member # 5409

All right, i'll see you in "hatrack chat"

Invite yourself into the AIM chatroom "hatrack chat"

I think you are either Anastasia back for a rematch or someone else who is not Muslim, of course of course I could be wrong.

IrishRage
Member # 5792

HOW DO I INVITE MYSELF IN?
IrishRage
Member # 5792

I dont have aol, just instant messanger
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
Add yourself to your buddy list. right click on your name. pick "sent chat invitation". in the screen that pops up when you do that, type in "Hatrack Chat" for the chatroom.

There you go.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems interesting that you don't know how to get into Hatrack Chat when you've been there before tonight, IR.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have completed a Hajj, you are a Hajji Mabroor ("accepted"). Ihram is the state of INTENTION to perform the Hajj, similar to the state of grace protecting someone who's undertaken a geas in Western myth; when someone announces his intention to complete the pilgrimage, he enters Ihram.

Ihram requires certain rituals and maintenance -- including chastity, grooming, special garments (called, not coincidentally, ihrams), and the like. If someone falls from ihram before completing the promised Hajj (there are multiple -- three, IIRC -- varities, each of which have different requirements) by falling from these standards, the pilgrimage is invalid and the supplicant must actually atone (in "khaffarah") for screwing it up. For this reason, many modern pilgrims cheat (IMO) by not officially "donning Ihram" until they're actually close to Mecca -- although not IN Mecca, because that would be cheating; there's actually an official BOUNDARY (called Miqat) that marks the nearest point where people have to don ihram.

The "titles" given to people who complete the different types of Hajj vary with the type of Hajj completed (including "Mutamatti," "Qiran," and some other ones I don't remember), but all those who successfully complete the Hajj are "Hajji Mabroor."

Calling someone "El Hajj" is, if I remember rightly, pretty much a black American corruption of the original, common to the Nation of Islam and the like.

[ October 13, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: TomDavidson ]

Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasputin
Member # 5409

Thanks for the clairfication, Tom. [Smile] I appreciate it. So Irish came into HR chat for two minutes, said he was mad then split. Then he sent me a two-word IM I couldn't read---"until later"? and bailed in 30 seconds.

I'm wash my hands of the whole matter. Anyone who cares can talk to Irish and make up their own minds. Tom, I hereby declare you standard bearer against the infidels. (joke) [Smile] [Big Grin]

Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, I know you used to be Baha'i, and that that faith branched off from Islam (or "mainstream" Islam). I also seem to recall you recently claiming to be a former Muslim. Are you referring to the same religion, or was that two separate periods in your life? I always thought that Baha'i was separate.
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

Baha'is ARE separate, although they're Muslim -- as far as I now regard them -- in the same way that Mormons are Christian. Back when I was researching the Faith, though, I did a fair bit of research into Islam in general, and still have a fair number of Muslim (practicing and non-) friends.
kacard
Administrator
Member # 200

- posted      Profile for kacard   Email kacard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok gang. I wrote personally to Irish yesterday reminding him to be civilized. Now I'm reminding the rest of you. I think this very personal challenge has gone on long enough. Believe him or don't but drop it. You won't prove anything either way.
Posts: 780 | Registered: Jul 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danzig
Member # 4704

- posted      Profile for Danzig   Email Danzig         Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. Do they consider themselves to be Muslim in the same way Mormons consider themselves Christians? Would mainstream Muslims consider them to be?
Posts: 1364 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IrishRage
Member # 5792

Well kacard whoever you are, thank you, it gets very ammoying when people make a huge deal out of not beieving your religion, I get a lot of it at home too.
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
KACard is Kristine Card, the wife of Orson Scott Card. I think she's handling this quite well personally, either way, I would suggest treating her with plenty of respect, she's earned it. [Smile]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rasputin
Member # 5409

IrishRage just IM'd me. I agreed to give him the benefit of the doubt. Like Mrs. Card says, I didn't couldn't really prove anything either way. And quizzing him like I did was rude. I hate being rude .
Toretha
Member # 2233

- posted      Profile for Toretha   Email Toretha         Edit/Delete Post 
Mack-Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Posts: 3493 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

You're telling me. [Wink]
TomDavidson
Member # 124

"Do they consider themselves to be Muslim in the same way Mormons consider themselves Christians? Would mainstream Muslims consider them to be?"

It depends. Baha'is consider themselves to be another step along the Muslim doctrine of progressive revelation. In other words, they believe Islam to be "true" -- as is Christianity -- but they're as far "advanced" beyond Muslims as Muslims consider themselves beyond Christians (and Christians consider themselves beyond Jews). That said, many of the prohibitions and almost all the (few) rituals of the Faith are Muslim in origin, if heavily modified, and the Faith's attitude towards the written words of the prophet is very Muslim in tone. As you might expect, American Baha'is are far more liberal and less "Islamic" than Persian-region Baha'is, although there's been a new wave of Baha'i fundamentalism -- which I find absolutely contradictory to its message -- in the last three decades or so that has begun to change the tone of the religion here in the States.

A Baha'i, if asked, will probably call himself a Baha'i -- but may well be mildly surprised if a Muslim or Christian were to declare that the Faith is neither Muslim NOR Christian, in the same way that Mormons are affronted by the same charge (for the exact same reasons). Unsurprisingly, the Shia LOATHE the Baha'i Faith, and consider it one of the lowest forms of Sunni-influenced apostacy; the Faith is illegal in many strongly Shia areas, and its practice is still punishable by death in Iran and Syria.

(Interestingly, the Faith has its own kind of Sunni/Shia split -- much like the Mormons. It's a tempest in a teapot thing, but it's led to a lot of the current fundamentalist tone.)

Oddly, the American branch of the Baha'i Faith probably most closely resembles a weird, Persian-influenced form of Quakerism. The more Persian you get, the more it looks like liberal Islam.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.