FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A pirate and a ninja fight. Who wins? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: A pirate and a ninja fight. Who wins?
Bugger #1
Member # 5760

- posted      Profile for Bugger #1   Email Bugger #1         Edit/Delete Post 
I say the pirate outwits him with his charming accent, then runs him through when the ninja goes for the numbchucks.

[ October 25, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Bugger #1 ]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Statler
Member # 5795

- posted      Profile for Statler   Email Statler         Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, the ninja has the ability to strike without the pirate knowing... especially a drunk pirate.
Posts: 5 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Trogdor the Burninator
Member # 4894

- posted      Profile for Trogdor the Burninator   Email Trogdor the Burninator         Edit/Delete Post 
but any self-respecting pirate never gets really drunk... just drunk enough to keep an eye on things.

I say the pirate wins based on the sheer coolness factor.

Posts: 1481 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Are you kidding me? Ninjas flip out and kill people ALL THE TIME! Everyone knows that. It's not even a contest. The ninja would just see the pirates hat and not like it so he would cut off his head. It's really quite simple.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
But ninjas still have some sort of code of honor that they are bound by. For the pirates, they're sort of guidelines...
So the pirate would do things that the ninja wouldn't.

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

- posted      Profile for Scott R   Email Scott R         Edit/Delete Post 
The pirate has a cannon.

The ninja has those goofy throwing stars.

No contest, folks.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Scott R beat me to my point.

If I'm a pirate, and a ninja is flipping and jumping at me, I'll pull out my gun and shoot him. End of story. [Laugh]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
And then the ninja would grab the bullet in midair and throw it back at you and kill you, 'cause ninjas can do that.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Bullet?

What bullet?

Canonball. Grapeshot, perhaps. From three or four different canons on the deck of the pirate ship.

Mangled ninja.

Posts: 14554 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay see... here is my take on things. If the pirate happens to be Johnny Depp's character in Pirates of the Caribbean, the pirate wins for shear charm and wit. If the ninja is an actual ninja, than it's the ninja. If the ninja is just Michael Dudikoff pretending to be a ninja, well then it all depends on which American Ninja movie he's representing. The first one... he gets away with a severe beating. The second one... he deserves to be stripped. The third one... well I don't think he was in that one so I guess he gets to walk away but the ninja throws a star at him just to scare him a bit.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
Who's to say a pirate can't also practice the ways of the ninja?
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marek
Member # 5404

- posted      Profile for Marek   Email Marek         Edit/Delete Post 
I think while the ninja and pirate are fighting they would enentually agree to join forces, and then the ninjas would actually rob ships secretly and the pirates would then blowup the ships with cannons that shot giant throwing stars. [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2332 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dude! Ninja-Pirates would rock!
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, as a ninja-in-training, I'd say a ninja would win any day. Pirates are just not stealthy enough. SNEAKY!!!
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Damien
Member # 5611

- posted      Profile for Damien   Email Damien         Edit/Delete Post 
Jade's a ninja, Adam's a pirate. They play in a band. Duh.

~DXM~

Posts: 677 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hobbes
Member # 433

- posted      Profile for Hobbes   Email Hobbes         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Apostle has already refrenced it (I assume, right Apostle?) but I felt the need to provide the link anyways: link.

[Laugh] [ROFL]

Hobbes [Smile]

Posts: 10602 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
[Laugh] Hobbes
Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But ninjas still have some sort of code of honor that they are bound by.
I believe you're thinking of a samurai. Ninjas are trained to kill.

But yeah - the ninja would beat the pirate. I love pirates, but you just can't stop a ninja.

(This is Avadaru, btw [Razz] )

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

- posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
If the ninja is a smart ninja and therefore attacks the pirate sneakily, the ninja will win. If the ninja attacks the pirate from the front, the pirate will win (especially if the pirate is hottie Capt. Jack Sparrow).
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
The ninja would win before the pirate even knew there was a contest, d'uh.

Ninja specifically eschew any codes of honor. They'd do things the scurviest of pirates would wince away from. The shuriken are frequently poisoned, and besides the ninja could hide so the pirate wouldn't even see the shuriken being thrown at him. Ninja are also expert in the use of gunpowder as well, and unless the ninja was stupid enough to get close to the pirate (the ninja wouldn't be), the pirate would miss.

Sheesh! If you people are gonna go for these kinds of comparisons, at least be halfway accurate! Pirate would win, *mutter mutter* amateurs;)

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scythrop
Member # 5731

- posted      Profile for Scythrop   Email Scythrop         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that we're neglecting to specify the actual perameters of the "fight". If, for example, it was a battle over who looks best in formalwear, then the ninja, in his classic black, has a definate advantage. If, on the other hand, the two are battling for supremecy in the ability to accesorise, then it'll be hard for anyone to beat the rougish impression that can be established by cannons, large hooped ear-rings, gold teeth and a Macaw parrot...

[ October 26, 2003, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Scythrop ]

Posts: 466 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethics Gradient
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Ethics Gradient   Email Ethics Gradient         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes, that is the best website. Ever.
Posts: 2945 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm,

If we are going historically, Pirates were untrained deck hands who had little formal martial training. They were bullies on the oceans. Ninja's, however, had lifetimes of training.

So if we are talking historically, fighting to the death, the Ninja wins.

If we are talking about movie Pirates verses movie Ninja's, the winner would be Jason in the hockey mask, at least until the sequel.

Musically, however, we must assume in any battle of the bands, that Pirates would beat up on the silent Ninja killers. While operas and musicals abound with Pirates (Pirates of Penzance anyone?), I can not think of one decent singing Ninja.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zalmoxis
Member # 2327

- posted      Profile for Zalmoxis           Edit/Delete Post 
There are historical ninjas?
Posts: 3423 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Hobbes---I almost peed myself [ROFL]

The ninja would kick it---they are all powerful and stealthy. But Pirates have bashing weapons----cannons, muskets, swords. And Pirates are sexy---so he would win with the ladies....but ninjas are sexy too-

Oh dear god, this is an argument I cannot figure out. [Wall Bash]

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snarky
Member # 4406

- posted      Profile for Snarky   Email Snarky         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates are sexy? But what about the poor hygeine?
Posts: 586 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob the Lawyer
Member # 3278

- posted      Profile for Bob the Lawyer   Email Bob the Lawyer         Edit/Delete Post 
Pirates generally weren't too sexy. What with the scurvy and the lack of grooming. At least ninjas leave something to the imagination.
And as for as the history books go, the pirates rarely got into fights. Generally it was less costly for a ship to hand over its cargo than risk being damaged. If the pirates did find themselves in a fight, they'd usually lose. They weren't known for their big, expensive well-made ships and cannons. They were a ragtag band the lot of them.
Ninjas, on the other hand, when there was killing to do they get the killing done. So, 1 on 1, ninjas win every time.

No, if it was a ninja in a dingy against a full fledged pirate ship, that might be a little trickier. Assuming the pirates notice the dingy.

Nah, ninja still wins.

Posts: 3243 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hobbes, that is the best website. Ever.
Actually, this is the best page in the universe.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saxon75
Member # 4589

- posted      Profile for saxon75           Edit/Delete Post 
The only way the ninja would lose is if he were either this ninja or one of these ninjas. In all other cases, the ninja wins.
Posts: 4534 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hansenj
Member # 4034

- posted      Profile for hansenj   Email hansenj         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Pirates are sexy? But what about the poor hygeine?
Hello?? Ever since Captain Jack Sparrow, pirates have ceased to be dirty and disgusting, savvy? Now they are most definitely sexy. [Wink]

I think all you ninja-supporters are wrong. A pirate (especially Captain Jack Sparrow *sigh*) would just kick the ninjas butt before he could pull any of his "cool tricks". [Razz]

[ October 27, 2003, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: hansenj ]

Posts: 1635 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigma
Member # 4005

- posted      Profile for Enigma   Email Enigma         Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly, hansenj, well said. Capt. Jack Sparrow is the sexiest guy in the world and that, of course, makes him cooler and tuffer than anyone else, especially [Laugh] scrawny ninjas.
Posts: 21 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Correlle_Fyrebrand
Member # 5839

- posted      Profile for Correlle_Fyrebrand   Email Correlle_Fyrebrand         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, first of all I've been watching The Little Ninja lately. Ninjai maybe a little boy and a scrawny ninja, but he is an AWESOME ONE! So, all I have to say is: if Ninjai was up against a pirate, that pirate wouldn't have a prayer.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD! [Evil Laugh]

Posts: 23 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Human
Member # 2985

- posted      Profile for Human   Email Human         Edit/Delete Post 
Ninjas would win. I mean...kunai, giant shuriken, the Sharingan eye, the Lightning Edge, Kage Bunshin no Jutsu...*looks around at the confused peoples* Well, manga ninjas, anyway.
Posts: 3658 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Go Human! Naruto rocks!!!

O_@ <--- Sharingan eye.

[ October 28, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Ryuko ]

Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scuba
Member # 5851

- posted      Profile for Scuba   Email Scuba         Edit/Delete Post 
The ninja would definetly kill all, especially if it is Naruto or any of those guys. Yeah pirates have cannons and muskets but can they hit the stealthy and quich ninjas? NO they cant! And how can a pirate use his wits and charms when he would be dead before he could open his mouth? They cant!

Kage Bunshin no Justu
[The Wave]

Posts: 9 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Squished Quail
Member # 5852

- posted      Profile for Squished Quail           Edit/Delete Post 
The Pirate and Ninja, may be equally matched, go through a grueling day of battle and sit exausted looking at the destruction of the room around them. Then they just may decide to call an honorable truce to enjoy one last repass. In the course of the meal, the ninja removes its mask revealing a beautiful..."Ninjette". The pirate and the Ninja fall madly in love eventually having a child, who, masters the skills of both parents and conquers the world through an incredible campaign of dark assasination and outright swashbuckling.
THE END [Taunt]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Then the cowboy shows up and saves the day.

(I so wanted to end it where you left it, SQ but then it would have fallen into oblivion)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
And then the Jedi chops up everyone that's left. [Big Grin]
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
Real Ninja's.

http://www.skhquest.com/

My son studied there for 4 years and reach brown belt with a black stipe. Never finished his black belt testing. This guy studied with the 34th Grandmaster of the 9 schools of ninjitsu over in Japan. He is 10th degree Dan.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
well, according to the Best Page in the Universe, pirates win. Why? Becuase they're pirates, they're the best just on principle.

To quote the ruler of the universe.

quote:
First of all, I'm a pirate. That alone makes me rule over everyone. Pirates by definition rule because they're so mean.

However, with two great forces meeting one another, other arch rivals will arrive, like robots. This will ensure a destuction on a greater scale, now assuming the pirate is defeated by the combined powers of the rest, then the ninja seems to be the winner, unless defeated by robot.

However, Fighter from 8-Bit Theater has shown without a doubt that he is the superior on multiple occasions
This battle cannot be finished due to the amount of forces involved.

However, if one were to make a robot/ninja/lumberjack/pirate/fighter/angsty anime teen/mecha pilot/cowboy hybrid...

[ October 31, 2003, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Gottmorder ]

Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

Historically speaking, Dan_Raven, the ninja wouldn't stand a chance.

All the training in the world won't stop a bullet.

And please remember that while pirate crew members may have been scurvy ridden flea colonies, their captains were often trained military men.

MEC
Member # 2968

- posted      Profile for MEC   Email MEC         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say It depends on the situation wheather which one wins. If the both are standing faceing together on some random location, and the pirate has his gun I'd say it's pretty much either could win. maybe both die. the ninja could throw surikens and the pirate could shoot, whoevers faster, and has beter aim wins. however if the pirate doesn't know he's supposed to be fighting a ninja he would be dead. The same goes for the ninja but with a lower probability.

I also fail too see how a pairate's sexyness and cannons can help him from a ninja.

Posts: 2489 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
The guy with a nuke.
Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

quote:
can they hit the stealthy and quich ninjas?
How tough can such a ninja be, made of flour and cheese and air? Little french dainty. . . no match for a swarthy pirate.

quote:
I also fail too see how a pairate's sexyness
You're kidding. You have to be. Ever seen the cover to Morgan Llewellyn's 'Grana?' I rest my case.

quote:
and [how can] cannons can help him from a ninja
Watch the opening battle sequence to 'Glory.' When you get done being disgusted, you will be enlightened on how exactly a cannon can aid a pirate in defeating his foes.
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
I want pics of Scott R dressed up as a pirate.
Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Think here, one ninja, or a pirate and his three hundred man crew, with guns, cannons, and oh yea, a ship. Hmmmm.

-Rhaegar The Fool

Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hazen
Member # 161

- posted      Profile for Hazen   Email Hazen         Edit/Delete Post 
This reminds me of another debate: Wizards v Robots

But anyway, it depends on which ninja and which pirate. It it was the Dread Pirate Roberts, from Princess Bride, he would easily kill the ninja and say something incredibly witty while he was at it.

If, on the other hand, it was the Ninja character from Final Fantasy, then he would easily kill all 9 of the pirates, just because they are so wimpy. Although it would be hard to get the Ninja upgrade without killing the pirates first, so it would probably end up in a temporal paradox, which gives an inherent advantage to the Star Trek characters. Then the wizard would wipe out everyone.

Posts: 285 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scott R
Member # 567

That was the single most brilliant thing I've ever seen on Hatrack.

Heck, it beats most of the academic stuff I've read too.

Hazen just tied in the quintessential adventure movie, the quintessential CRPG, and wizardry all in one post.

I think you rock, Hazen.

Pat
Member # 879

- posted      Profile for Pat   Email Pat         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, to continue the discussion...

You have the opportunity to be protected by an orc or a stormtrooper. Which would you choose?

[ November 01, 2003, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: Pat ]

Posts: 1800 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

I would run like heck.....
[Big Grin]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.