FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Worst Album Covers Ever

Author Topic: Worst Album Covers Ever
Ralphie
Member # 1565

- posted      Profile for Ralphie   Email Ralphie         Edit/Delete Post 
Bad enough to make the wee baby Jebus cry.

Enjoy.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Zap!
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

- posted      Profile for Megachirops           Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I bet we could do far better!
Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Without the aid of Photoshop?

Dude - those are authentic, baby.

Posts: 7600 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
That was just beautiful!!!

Try this one:

Mae West Rocks Out!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ralphie
Member # 1565

Sa-weet.
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Without the aid of Photoshop?

Dude - those are authentic, baby.

Yeah, but I still want to see what Hatrack can come up with in Photoshop.
Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JonnyNotSoBravo
Member # 5715

- posted      Profile for JonnyNotSoBravo   Email JonnyNotSoBravo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the Let Me Touch Him album was pretty classic coming from a Minister's Quartet. You could probably Photoshop Catholic priest clothes on the guys, and change it to Priests' quartet, which would be funny too. Or change all the guys into Michael Jackson...That woman with the ESP album scared me a little. [Angst]
Posts: 1423 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

- posted      Profile for Starla*   Email Starla*         Edit/Delete Post 
Leto sent me this link a few days ago....I was very disturbed.

We both agreed that Julie's 16th birthday was really creepy, and that Joyce looked like Pat from SNL.

The naked hairy guys frightened me....and the old guys with Let Me Touch Him....That leather pants guy...ug....
Sometimes makes you wonder what people are thinking.

Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We both agreed that Julie's 16th birthday was really creepy
Oh, come on. Don't tell me you can think of a better way to spend your 16th birthday than being hit on by a middle-aged piece of white trash with the goofiest looking cowboy hat in the world. The look on that girl's face captures the moment flawlessly.

Really, though. That guy's hat should be in the Smithsonian. If they don't have an exhibit for "ugliest hat ever made by the hand of man," they should.

Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Even without photoshop.

A lot of those were only funny because they were not pop/rock albums, and we were looking at them from a pop/rock perspective. Like "The McKeithen's" [sic], "The Ministers Quartet," or "Country Church." Or because they were so totally dated, like 12 Top Hits. Frankly, laughing at people who are not trying to be cool by your standards because they are not cool by your standards seems kind of lame. (Like laughing at "Joyce" because she's ugly.) I would find them funnier if they were covers that were trying to be cool yet failed miserably in hindsight. As I recall, Hall & Oates had a couple like this. So did "Devastatin' Dave," "ORleans," and John Bult.

Posts: 1001 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

Well, I didn't spend my 16th birthday like that....but the whole year of being 16 (and 17, and 18 and 19.....etc) being hit on by middle-aged pieces of white trash (the hat was optional).
Posts: 463 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Hey Starla*, what's your sign? [Wink]
Starla*
Member # 5835

Virgo/Libra cusp (september 22, 1981)

Plus---the covers are funny because they are so dated. I mean, I am sure people will be laughing at our album covers (ie---what a wacky name for a band! I mean---PEARL JAM!? And what's up with the camel?).

And, come on, Joyce does look like Pat from SNL---that doesn't make her ugly. Just androgenous. Or Hermaphoditic (I'm not sure if I spelled that right). She looks very 1983 (or 82, or 84).

Megachirops
Member # 4325

http://www.thepoorman.net/archives/002163.html

quote:
If you think the John Bult cover is scary looking today. You should have been around when it came out. I was close enough to the man to know his thoughts, and I can say with all honesty that some of yours are right on target. Actually, the girl in the picture was supposed to represent his daughter. I never had the courage to tell him what the picture really looked like, but I am happy to see my feelings then are shared by others today. BTW, that album was made over 20 years ago.

Starla*
Member # 5835

He probably could have conveyed the message of the girl being his daughter if the picture was not shot in a bar-like setting, with the half-empty beer glass and half-smoked cigarette. Maybe if the picture was taken at a kitchen table or something....with milk and chocolate chip cookies.......

mmm....chocolate chip cookies.......damn, ate 'em all.....

Megachirops
Member # 4325

It's not that they're dated; it's that some of them aren't trying to be cool. What I mean is you aren't qualified to call something a "worst" album cover if you are not the intended audience. I think we should limit our choices to pop/rock. (Perhaps country, but that's like shooting fish in a barrel, neh?)

Here are some of my picks:
Hall and Oates 1
Hall and Oates 2

Billy Joel

Teenyboppers aren't immune

Starla*
Member # 5835

Yikes.

You do have a point there---lemme see if I can find one in my collection......

Starla*
Member # 5835

Candlebox's "Lucy" album cover was kinda lousy. But, then again, the album wasn't all that great. Not bad, just kind of boring. The first album was phenomenal---and the cover was nice, too, the band standing in a field of daffodils. Real pretty.

But I digress....

I found another one---a friend's band called Chipmonk, based out of Wildwood, NJ. The album name is foul (just like the album), so I won't link the picture. It's all daisies, lollipops and rainbows and sunshine. Really sick. The only song I remotely liked off it was the death metal version of "Meow Mix theme song."

Megachirops
Member # 4325

eek!
Starla*
Member # 5835

What? Lollipops and Daisies or Death Metal Meowing?
Megachirops
Member # 4325

Lollipops and Daisies
Starla*
Member # 5835

Yeah---I think they did that on purpose, because it is sooo incongruous with the style of music (I guess I could call it that) they were playing. I mean, the album is called F--- You. So...
fiazko
Member # 5812

- posted      Profile for fiazko   Email fiazko         Edit/Delete Post 
mega, i agree with you in that it's unfair to make fun of people who weren't even trying to be cool, but i'd definitely like to take a shot at the ones who were. i had an experience last night that ties in pretty well.

quote:
That leather pants guy...ug....
Sometimes makes you wonder what people are thinking.

(please disregard the sadness of my existence as demonstrated by this anecdote.)

i was watching the extras on the dirty dancing dvd. apparently, at the time there was a tour called dirty dancing: live in concert or something like that. basically a few of the people who sang tracks on the soundtrack got together to, um, sing songs from the soundtrack while the original dancers plus some did their thing on stage. so anyway, one of the artists gracious enough to take part was eric carmen , the guy who sang hungry eyes (as well as lose control). so first of all, this guy has a way overblown sense of his own popularity, even taking into account that he had some really good songs and it was the 80s. the point here is that i decided that his choice of attire was a perfect example of "what were we thinking?" regarding 80s fashion. the link is from about that time frame; his hair looks about the same. he was wearing a black body-builder type tank top (the kind with the thin straps that are cut low so you can see 'chest hair'), suspenders, light gray tapered jeans that barely grazed the tops of his white shoes. the key to the outfit, though, was the shiny gold blazer, complete with shoulder pads. i laughed out loud. repeatedly. anyway, i couldn't find a link for the image i'm talking about, but i hope you get the idea.

Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

- posted      Profile for Annie   Email Annie         Edit/Delete Post 
Even granting license for heinous 80s ideals of design aesthetic, this one wins, hands down.
Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, that forbidden is definitely the worst thing ever.

ever.

Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

i am not authorized to view that page, but i'll take your word for it.
Posts: 1090 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annie
Member # 295

oh, poo.

how about this link?

Apparently, Duran Duran has strict copyright lockdown going on. I mean, I would too if I had a design that brilliant available for public misuse.

Posts: 8504 | Registered: Aug 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fiazko
Member # 5812

her name is rio and she dances on the sand.

what, pray tell, did you expect?

Megachirops
Member # 4325

Actually, I had a good friend who was really into Patrick Nagel.
Annie
Member # 295

I'm surprised, though, that she can dance on the sand in those earrings without poking someone's eye out.
fiazko
Member # 5812

ah, good point. i would expect a prompt self-decapitation.
Starla*
Member # 5835

Y'know---I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but the every-other-decade fashion rule is coming into being....

In plan language...the 80s are back, for juniors clothing, at least.

I noticed it about a year ago...certain stripey patterns, off the shoulder tops, plastic earrings...

Then more a few months back....leg warmers, pointy-toe shoes with the skinny heel....

Now it's just blatant 80s all the way---just look in any teenage girl magazine....

I just find it disturbing that I actually remember some of the fashions that are coming back in: either because I saw older girls wearing it or I had the little-kid cleaned up version.

Starla*
Member # 5835

If big hair ever comes back...I'm quitting society and living in a cave.
Papa Moose
Member # 1992

- posted      Profile for Papa Moose   Email Papa Moose         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever seen this one?
Posts: 6213 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

I don't see anything---it looks like a black box.

The caption says "this is spinal tap."

It can't be good. [Angst]

Annie
Member # 295

lol @ pop
GreNME
Member # 3401

- posted      Profile for GreNME   Email GreNME         Edit/Delete Post 
The "every other" rule isn't just coming into being. It's been around for years. Once you get old enough to remember, it becomes more real to you when you notice it. Everyone is retro: punks, hip-hop, emo (emu, as I call them), and even the goth kids and plain-jane-pop-culture. It's all retro any more.

People ran out of creative subculture ideas back in the 20s.

Posts: 289 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
All-time classic (and worth a lot of money if you can find one)

[ November 09, 2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Bob_Scopatz ]

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starla*
Member # 5835

I didn't mean to say it was coming into being, I meant to say that it's going on it's cycle again--like it's now 2003...and now the 80s are in style. Like when I was in high school---everything late 60s and early 70s was the shizznit. I know it's always been around. I just find it highly disturbing that I actually remember some of this stuff because of my incredible long-term memory (and now that I say this, the gods will revoke it [Smile] ).

quote:
People ran out of creative subculture ideas back in the 20s
So true. I wonder what happened. If it was technology, or the depression and then the war...mass production....I don't know, really.

I really liked the grunge style...it was like "hey, you po-folks, now YOU can be cool..."
I wouldn't mind if it came back in. But then I'd be really disturbed.

Oh well, that's life.

ClaudiaTherese
Member # 923

- posted      Profile for ClaudiaTherese           Edit/Delete Post 
Grunge and me got together and made a baby. That baby was my bedroom closet.

Actually, I'm now going for a timeless (read: blend into background) look. My drive to modesty and fear of trends has lead me to ankle-length skits, turtlenecks, boots, and optional head covering. I look like I could survive a nuclear assault.

[ November 09, 2003, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: ClaudiaTherese ]

Posts: 14017 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.