FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » things to do during Lord of the Rings (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: things to do during Lord of the Rings
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
So who wants to print out this list and bring it to WenchCon? [Big Grin]
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
48. In a fit or rage over Jackson's changes, immediately following the movie find the nearest shire and scour it.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
Or maybe call this guy and see if he'll sing you a few songs.

[ December 02, 2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
#49 When Aragorn is crowned, yell "Its Good to be the King!"

#50 Complain bitterly that the cutting of the House of Healing scene is all a plot by the AMA and big Insurance companies.

#51 Debate Politics--Calling the Elves tree hugging Democrats who allowed gay marriage and thats what ruined their culture while Sarumon was a Fiscal Conservatives and Sauron was a more dangerous social conservative.

PS. The reason Phil Collins would make a great Tom Bombadil is because Phil Collins IS Tom Bombadil

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
52) Open a pipeweed concession stand. Label it in Elvish to avoid detection.

53) Next time Samwise saves Frodo, shout RU-DY RU-DY RU-DY

54) Bring your mandolin and tabaret for the final chorus of "Frodo of the nine fingers". (my favorite part of the cartoon verson)

[ December 02, 2003, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
Mmmmm Pipeweed.
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abrynne
Member # 5826

- posted      Profile for Abrynne   Email Abrynne         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
53) Next time Samwise saves Frodo, shout RU-DY RU-DY RU-DY
Amen!! lol

I just thought of an Arwen one but my brain derailed...

Posts: 51 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gottmorder
Member # 5039

- posted      Profile for Gottmorder   Email Gottmorder         Edit/Delete Post 
48. Make a petition to change the title of the third movie stating that it's misleading to Elvis fans, and try to get signatures from people in line.
Posts: 332 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL]
...Ow...my...sides...hurt...
[ROFL]

Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
Spit popcorn all over the person in front of you and shout, "We can'ts eat hobbit food! We must starve!"

Edit: Oh yeah. Number 49.

[ December 02, 2003, 09:05 PM: Message edited by: Wussy Actor ]

Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Gottmordor, I'm dying. That was choice. *wipes eyes*

50. Whenever someone on screen says "The Ring of Power," yell out "HEY! That was Wagner's idea first!! Cheaters!!"

Yeah, only dorky music people will get that. Really really dorky music people. [Wink]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

51. Bring a feather duster and tickle the back of the neck of the person in front of you when Shelob appears and every few minutes after that for the rest of the movie. Be quick and look noncholant so they don't know it's you.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
52. Go with a group of friends and all carry BIC lighters. Whenever a song comes on, as a group, flick your lighters and sway back and forth in time to the music.
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

Wow Bob. 12,000 posts. Impressive!

53. Every time there's a meaningful silence, say "Well, THIS never happened in the book." Loudly.

Book
Member # 5500

- posted      Profile for Book           Edit/Delete Post 
You know Tolkein considered Wagner's work to be amusing, but pretty much dismissed it altogether? I suppose I can see why, he had a problem with changing original stories, especially myths, so he probably wouldn't agree with Wagner's artistic license with the sagas.
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Come up with 2 different sets of #48-53.

Already taken care of? My work is done. [Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

- posted      Profile for Eruve Nandiriel   Email Eruve Nandiriel         Edit/Delete Post 
53. Cry overdramaticly every time Frodo or Sam says something touching.
Posts: 4174 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia...check out Tom Davidson's post count!!!
Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
55. Raise a family.
Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm
Member # 4653

- posted      Profile for Sarcasm           Edit/Delete Post 
56. Wear "elf" ears to the movie, and while you're wating in line, do the Vulcan "live long and prosper" sign to as many people as possible.

[ December 02, 2003, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Sarcasm ]

Posts: 276 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wussy Actor
Member # 5937

- posted      Profile for Wussy Actor   Email Wussy Actor         Edit/Delete Post 
57. Announce that you're going to file a complaint with the NAACP because the black riders aren't really black, and you're sick and tired of the man trying to keep you down.
Posts: 288 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Speed
Member # 5162

- posted      Profile for Speed   Email Speed         Edit/Delete Post 
58. Any time elves appear, say "Which one's Will Ferrell?"
Posts: 2804 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

I was watching Episode 5 of the Civil War series, and they mentioned Nathan Bedford Forrest, and I started laughing so hard I couldn't breathe. My husband came into the kitchen and wondered what could be so funny about a battle where "The bodies were stacked like cord wood". "Run, Forest, Run!"
Posts: 11017 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

67. When Galadriel comes on screen, use your best Bruce Willis voice "Nothing I can say, a total eclipse of the heart"

68. When anybody but Aragorn is on screen, say "Is he gonna be the king that's returning?"

69. At the end, proclaim "But I thought Magneto was the BAD guy".

Edit to correct numbering, I think...

[ December 13, 2003, 02:11 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

Jenny Gardener
Member # 903

- posted      Profile for Jenny Gardener   Email Jenny Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I did have some folks giggling uncontrollably with the following comments.

"Look, it's Boromir's wood!" when Boromir appears carrying firewood in FOTR.

And then nudge, nudge, wink, wink, when Gandalf tells Theoden he'd regain his strength if his hand gripped his sword.

I've spoiled the movies for myself forever. I can't wait to see what ROTK has to amuse my twisted mind.

Posts: 3141 | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
62. Bring a boombox and loudly play Leonard Nimoy singing about Bilbo Baggins.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

63) During the big battle scenes, jump up, point, and yell, "I found Waldo."

64) At the end say, "I can't wait for the next one."

65) At the end yell, "The Sword of Shanarra is better." Then run.

Run fast.

Run far.

They will catch you, eventually.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

- posted      Profile for Rhaegar The Fool   Email Rhaegar The Fool         Edit/Delete Post 
And eat you...
Posts: 1900 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

Yeah, recently when I was watching TTT in the climactic charge I said, "Wow, Magneto saves the day."
Posts: 2258 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
66) Smack any person who dares attempt any of these in my theatre. Smack them hard.
Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eruve Nandiriel
Member # 5677

67. (((((Rhaegar))))) [Kiss]

[Wink]

kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Jenny, you're not the ONLY one you ruined the movie for. I think you've permanaently scarred Ken.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

I've actually done a few of these.....
Olivet
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Olivet   Email Olivet         Edit/Delete Post 
Ron just slayed me this morning by doing an amazing vocal impersonization of the singer who did the "Frodo of the Nine Fingers" song from the cartoon. It drives me crazy how well he can impersonate some voices. He does a mean Bullwinkle, various Simpson's characters, etc.
Posts: 9293 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
74. (My own revised count, because of the duplicate 48-54's): Loudly proclaim that Jar-Jar Binks was lots better than Gollum. [Note: be prepared to run for your life!]

75. When you have been caught, just before you're about to be pounded into ketchup, plead: "That wasn't me! That was my evil twin!"

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
76. Ask people around you, "Wouldn't it have been easier if the Elves had taken the ring with them to the 'Undying Lands'? Surely the ring would have been safe in America."
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Wow! It's Ron Lambert! Hi!!!
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

77. Wait until the end and yell "It turned into a fluff thread about 3/4 of the way through."
Maethoriell
Member # 3805

- posted      Profile for Maethoriell   Email Maethoriell         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
30) Launch into a long discussion of Elvish genealogy. Include an explanation of the different types of elves and their histories.
What if your friend ALREADY does that?

I most definitely wanna do a few of those.

Posts: 4628 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaegar The Fool
Member # 5811

80-something: Lostramoth Gilbarell, Aurematorath Sistarell
raphael
Member # 5870

- posted      Profile for raphael   Email raphael         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
60. When anybody but Aragorn is on screen, say "Is he gonna be the king that's returning?"

oh my gosh-I love that one!
consider it done (translated to hebrew for the benifit of the crowd)

Posts: 109 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Book
Member # 5500

I actually had a woman ask me at the start of the Two Towers who the lost king was. She had no idea. Then she would read out all the subtitles to her son during the movie, who was way to young to be there. I wanted to die.
Beren One Hand
Member # 3403

- posted      Profile for Beren One Hand           Edit/Delete Post 
84. When Eowyn kisses Faramir, shout out, "those Rohan chicks are easy!"

85. When Aragorn proclaims "we cannot achieve victory through strength of arms," shout out, "man they are SCREWED!"

86. Go bare foot and bring your bong.

[ December 08, 2003, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Beren One Hand ]

Posts: 4116 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celia60
Member # 2039

- posted      Profile for celia60   Email celia60         Edit/Delete Post 
i, uh, own elf ears (ok, technically, they're vulcan ears, but who can tell the difference)

i think bill would leave me if i did 56, though.

Posts: 3956 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

As Sam and Frodo are going into the cave, mention that if Galadriel were all that smart, she would've filled the vial with RAID.

Complain that the terms "The Black Gate" and "The White City" are racist, and that Frodo was originally a black man.

At the beginning of the end credits, proclaim "No Oliphants or Fell Beasts were harmed in the making of this film."

During the beginning credits, proclaim, "FRODO LIVES!" Just in case anyone misses it, fill any long silences with "No, no...Gollum dies, not Frodo."

Comment on how amazing it is that they made an eleven hour movie based on a single Johnny Cash song.

After Return of the King appears in the beginning credits, orally subtitle it "Elvis, the Vegas Years"

Every time Legolas appears on-screen, let out a hearty "ARRRRR!"

[ December 08, 2003, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: Frisco ]

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

X+1)[where X=#of Lines prior to this one] Whenever Sauron's army shows up, start singing the Orkan theme song.

X+2) At the end scream, "Eagles, Why did it have to be eagles."

X+2 Alt) Yell, Eagles Suck! Go RAMS!!!!

X+3) Complain loudly how this whole thing rips off Gary Gygax.

X+4) Throughout the movie make as many Quake, Star Wars, D&D or Mario references as possible. Have a co-conspirator do the same. Keep track just like Legolas and Gimli.

X+5) Expand ad-nauseum how the ring was not really destroyed, but survives today, as seen as the mysterious item in the brief case in Pulp Fiction.

X+6) Print out a copy of the photo-shopped e-mail with President Bush wearing the one ring, and force everyone to look at it.

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
192) Don't be a nerd.
193) Don't show up in a lame costume for an even lamer movie.
194) Don't get all excited when a physically attractive and completely unattainable actor/actress comes on screen.
195) Shut up for five seconds (especially if you're talking in Elvish) and let people enjoy the movie.
196) Wear deodorant for cripes sake! I mean, I know you and your friends don't mind if you stink up your parent's basement with your painful body odor, but the rest of us socially adept people do.
197) Don't clap at the end. Peter Jackson didn't make this stuff up, he just drew some pretty pictures on the screen for you and every other monkey who cannot appreciate the books by themselves.
198) Going to a screening of all three movies including the extended editions? Good, I hope you get economy-class syndrome.

[ December 08, 2003, 04:39 PM: Message edited by: Primal Curve ]

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

*sigh*

It painful to watch you try so hard to be controversial, PC.

And in the end, it doesn't even work.

Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
X+5) Expand ad-nauseum how the ring was not really destroyed, but survives today, as seen as the mysterious item in the brief case in Pulp Fiction.
That's hilarious! I might actually do that...

And I also agree with 196, derogatory though it may have been intended - Deodorant is a must, even for the geekiest fanboys out there.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 5003

Edit: By my count, the suggestion of Photo shopping Bush with a ring of power is #100. Woot! Though it would be even better if he had that spikey, hinged glove with the ring of power on it.

googolplex) Come up with a list of things to do and number it in Elvish

[ December 13, 2003, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: pooka ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.