FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My review of LOTR:ROTK (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: My review of LOTR:ROTK
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
LORD OF HTE RINGSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rudolph
Member # 3236

- posted      Profile for Rudolph           Edit/Delete Post 
YEAH I STARTED THE THIRD PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!
OMGOODNESS!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111

Posts: 217 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ae
Member # 3291

- posted      Profile for ae   Email ae         Edit/Delete Post 
ROTK: eh. Fun movie. Wouldn't see it again. But better than the books.

This is the bit where I run away. [Angst]

Posts: 2443 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey ae, I disagree with 2/3's of your statement, but to each his own.

Fun movie, saw it the second time today (intend to see it many more times), and while I always liked the books better I think they did them justice.

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
Javert, I disagree with 1/4 of your statement: I haven't seen it two times yet. But I will. [Smile]

~Jane~

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
*breaths deeply* I just deleted everything I just wrote. Here it is again:

spoilers- naturally

Sorry about the length this is more than two cents but…

Personally, I think that cheering/applauding the characters is as valid as cheering/applauding the actors and filmmakers. It has gone on for hundreds of years and I’m sure that it will continue for many more to come.

Some questionably elements of the movie start for me with the big spotlight of Sauron’s eye, although thinking about it now, it seems to be the only way to have shown which way Sauron’s eye was fixed. Also, when Sauron ‘died’ I kept thinking ‘there’s going to be a shockwave’, and lo and behold, there was. Also, when Denethor caught on fire and was thrown out the room, he ran the entire length of the jutting-out platform in Minas Tirith and threw himself off the end, without falling, collapsing and dying, even though he was completely doused with oil. The Rohirrim, in order to look good on camera, never take the direct route, but tend to zigzag, which was a little unbelievable. Legolas’ stunt was fairly unnecessary, although very cool. It was pretty much the only useful thing Legolas got to do through the entire movie.

In the cave of the dead (does it have a proper name), there is a rather unfortunate line. The leader of the dead people has a deep booming voice which echoes. The beginning of the line is, “who disturbs…” In the Disney Movie Aladdin, the tiger head that rises out of the sand has a similar line, said in a similar voice. Hearing that jerked me right back to reality.

I don’t think Orlando Bloom is a bad actor, just inexperienced. Also, all his lines were either observation: “A diversion.” Or explanation, usually to Gimli. This means that he is fairly redundant, and thus Legolas is hard to act involved. He wasn’t brilliant in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’, but he wasn’t completely terrible either. We shall see what he’s like in ‘Troy’.

I loved the colour in this movie (as I loved all the colour in all the movies). White, brown, faded green and fire. Any bright greens were only in flashbacks and dreams, and of course at the very end. Red was only used in fire and lava, faded green was in the uniform of the Gondorians, the dead, the old grass of the plains and the Witch King’s palace (but that was the same unearthly green as the dead). The rest of the movie was brown and white and grey, bleak and terrible. Rivendell’s leaves that were in autumn in the first movie, were dry and dead in the last.

Some of my favourite scenes were; the scene with Smeagal and Deagle (sp), the doomed birthday, although the sense of dread in that scene was awful. I loved the battle speeches, they almost convinced me to go off to almost-useless war more than once…
Gandalf’s part in the movie was brilliant, as was Pippin’s and Merry’s, all characters who faded slightly in the second movie. In some ways, Pippin and Merry were more heart wrenching than Frodo and Sam. I was glad that they had a chance to shine. I had been afraid that Pippin’s song would be cheesy and out-of-place but the way that sequence was done, the reluctant start, Denethor’s eating, the fact that you never saw the slaughter, you just knew, was fabulous. I think that’s definitely one of my favourite scenes of all time.
Denethor was deliciously disgusting and dispicable. I hated him, hated him, hated him. I was glad when Gandalf thwapped him, I was glad when he burnt to a crisp.
I don’t know whether it was where I sat (third row right by the screen- I didn’t get there early enough), but in some scenes, especially when lying down, Faramir looked a lot like Boromir, which of course is perfect. But it was wonderful because Boromir was dead, but I kept seeing Faramir and thinking ‘there’s Boromir’ and then being sorry, because I would then realise that it was Faramir and that Boromir was dead. I loved that, because I could imagine the characters in the film looking at Faramir and seeing Boromir.

Large spiders are terrifying in the third row.

I loved the beacons, and Aragorn’s mad dash to the Golden Hall. I loved it when everyone bowed to the hobbits, and I loved the expressions on their faces at that time; all different, all perfect- nothing out of place.

I even sort-of-liked the fade to blacks at the end, although it was a little ‘when will it end’ish. The black screen did several things for me. First, it unfortunately brought me back to the movie theatre. Second it told me ‘time passed’, a useful thing. Third, it gave me time to collect my thoughts and move on to the next, completely different scene. The fade to white was very good, not only because the scenes were both more white than black, but because it told me that this was the last scene, then final-final scene, so when the door closed, I knew it was the door closing forever.

I cried. Yes, I cried, but also I laughed and giggled and gasped and hid my eyes and I smiled great beaming smiles of happiness, because that was all I could do. It is definitely one of the most beautiful films ever made. I loved it.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was the best of the three movies. Peter Jackson is kewl! [The Wave]
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Sniff. I need another hanky, Teshi.

I closed my eyes when Shelob made her appearance. I don't do bugs. I hate nightmares. And the two together would be horrid.

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
Deagol is spelled like Smeagol...they're brothers.

I hated Denethor since I saw the new scene in the Two Towers: "The Steward's Sons".

Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
cousins... or close friends. Not brothers.

I loved the Denethor scene becasue I hate Denethor and I admit I cheered with the rest of the audience when he was thwacked. But I really wish PJ had put in the palantir like in the book becasue for me, the way taht scene works in the book shows how Denethor was less inherently evil, than corrupted and in complete dispare, which can rather change the personality a tad. And the image of the palantir showing only two wizened old hands burning is... intense. (shudder) But it's a GOOD intense.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MoonRabbit
Member # 3652

- posted      Profile for MoonRabbit   Email MoonRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally saw it, and am I the only one here who thinks there's a hidden meaning to the Legolas/Oliphant scene? The Oliphant battle scene reminded me so much of The Empire Strikes Back (I don't remember a lot of detail about that scene in the RoTK book, and I've read it at least 5 times), except done a lot better.

All I could think is "That was put in to rub George Lucas's nose in it".

Way to show GL that effects work well if the story doesn't suck.

Posts: 173 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

- posted      Profile for Princess Leah   Email Princess Leah         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't knock on episodes 4,5 and 6! Star Wars rocks!!!!!

However, you are free to knock 1 and 2. Yeshhhhhhhh, indeed, effects are nothing without a decent script and story.

A decent love scene helps too... and the sad part is that compared to Annikin and the queed, romance-challenged RotK is freaking Gone with the Wind in THAT department!

Posts: 866 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

- posted      Profile for newfoundlogic   Email newfoundlogic         Edit/Delete Post 
No, they're brothers. One I saw written in a review somewhere. Two brothers always have the same nameish thing. Example: Boromir and Faramir. Smeagol and Deagol.
Posts: 3446 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

"[smeagol] had a friend called deagol"
-LorR FotR

Ha! Never trust reviews. My local paper gave Master and Commander more stars than RotK... The injustice!

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

One site

Another Site (look at the bottom)

Again there is the name evidence.

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

And brothers can be friends evidenced again by Boromir and Faramir.
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Aright, aright. But I still think I'm right. I looked up Deagol in the index to LotR (primary source, heh heh) and it mentioned him only in the beginning of FotR where Gandalf and Frodo are talking about how the ring came to Bilbo. And at least twice in that section Gandalf refers to Deagol as the friend, (not brother, there's no mention of them being family) of Smeagol.

I'm a loser. This little tiny twiddle is really bugging me. Perhaps I should get a life. Or, then again, perhaps I should just comb through the Appendices looking for family trees of hobbit-like creatures such as smeagol and deagol.

TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
In the books -- which I'll admit I haven't read in over four years -- Deagol and Smeagol are cousins, IIRC.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
nfl- I'm fairly certain the books trump websites, but that might just be me.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, Princess Leah's right. Never referred to as anything but friend. But then, Tolkein may have decided that they were cousins and had it put into a sourcebook later on...
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty certain that they're identified as cousins in one of the appendices or later books. It might be in the preface to The Hobbit.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ak
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for ak   Email ak         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was thinking of them as cousins, too, though perhaps not first cousins. Think about it, in a small community of Stoors (? was it, or Harfoots?) living in the Anduin river valley in those days, most everyone would be third and fourth cousins once or twice removed. They shared a grandmother, though, I think, so perhaps they were first or second cousins. Definitely not brothers, or it would have been mentioned.
Posts: 2843 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Teshi, I loved your review. [Smile] I really need to go see it again. I was getting ferklempt just listening to the soundtrack today. The music during the beacon-lighting scene is just thrilling and gives me chills. I also just LOVE the fact that it's Renee Fleming singing all the female elvish parts. The part where Arwen appears at the end and she sings is just gorgeous. I also really really love the words to "Into the West." I imagine that they're being sung to Frodo by Sam when they're back in the Shire.

I need to see it at least two more times this week before I start school again.

[ December 29, 2003, 05:17 AM: Message edited by: Narnia ]

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure how swept away I am by RotK...

Then again, I was fairly disappointed with the theatrical TTT, and love the extended version, so I hope for a repeat emotional performance. Though I have to say, thus far, FotR seems like the best of the three.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maccabeus
Member # 3051

- posted      Profile for Maccabeus   Email Maccabeus         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like the Smeagol/Deagol scene as much as some people seem to have. They look like rednecks of the crochety sort who carry rifles. Nor do we see much friendship between them; they fish for a brief time, the ring appears, and suddenly they're fighting.
Posts: 1041 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

Ah well *shrugs philosophically* everything will be made clear in the EE version.

HOW LONG BEFORE IT'S OUT????????

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
*checks watch*

Oh, about 11 months.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, overall what DID you guys make of the Smeagol/Deagol scene? I was very surprised that was in there. Why suddenly explain Gollum's obsession with the ring in the THIRD movie? Why wasn't that addressed in the second?

It just seemed weird to me, because that story wasn't in the third book -- so it is like they took a step back and said "oh, we better explain this better before we go on with the rest of the story.."

Farmgirl

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

There was never a definitive explanation of Smeagol and Deagol's relationship. I standby my logic.

Farmgirl, RotK didn't explain Gollum's obsession with the ring, that needs no explanation, it explained how Gollum got the ring and how he is a "murderer".

TomDavidson
Member # 124

NFL, I guarantee you that Deagol is described by Tolkien as Smeagol's cousin, not brother. [Smile]

And yes, I didn't get the point of the Deagol/Smeagol scene; I felt like they added it just to give Andy Serkis some actual screen time. It seems to me like something that should have been in the EE, especially when they moved the Houses of Healing out of the cinematic release instead.

sarcasticmuppet
Member # 5035

- posted      Profile for sarcasticmuppet   Email sarcasticmuppet         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was a good way to open RotK because it reintroduces Gollum and really focuses on his story for the first time since his skitzo episode. After doing this it moves to the Gollum/Sam/Frodo story, which I think is a really good segway. I really can't think of a better way to start the movie.

As to the Smeagol/Deagol reationship, I thought they were best friends, not necessarily brothers.

Posts: 4089 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Frisco, you do know that Merry and Pippin are going to get married and have children, right?
I assume you mean that they'll adopt? I'm glad that The Shire's morality can accomodate them.

quote:
Deagol is spelled like Smeagol...they're brothers
quote:
No, they're brothers. One I saw written in a review somewhere. Two brothers always have the same nameish thing. Example: Boromir and Faramir. Smeagol and Deagol.
quote:
There was never a definitive explanation of Smeagol and Deagol's relationship. I standby my logic.
Newfoundlogic, you're basing your belief on "some review somewhere", a couple of websites, and a theory you've put together about Tolkein's naming conventions? That seems like a...somewhat less than solid platform on which to build. By your reasoning, shouldn't Frodo and Bilbo be brothers? Similar names, after all. Same thing goes for Frodo's father, Drogo, right? What kind of family was *that*? [Smile] . In any case it seems to me like a fairly minor point to be taking a stand on. Why is it important to you?

About the whole clapping business--I've never been one to clap or cheer at movies. When I was younger, I used to sneer that people were clapping at a flickering light, for god's sake, and feel plesantly smug and superior. As I've gotten older, though, I've kind of gotten over myself, and appreciate that the people behaving that way are just immersing themselves very completely in the story, and are making it an almost participatory event. It's not for me, but it doesn't bug me either. If I don't feel like being around people who are acting that way, and sometimes I don't, I just wait until the crowds have died down a bit before seeing the movie.

quote:
It was ultimately an adequate movie. People project how they want to feel about it onto it -- and while it doesn't deserve all the acclaim, people like acclaiming things and probably deserve the chance to acclaim whatever the heck they want.
This I agree with completely. ROTK was okay. I'm glad I saw it--it wasn't a waste of three hours. I'll probably see the extended edition when it comes out, and I expect that someday, at some point, I'll watch all three extended editions.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when the audience claps. If you're going to be involved with something, do it completely.

Smeagol and Deagol are cousins. NFL, what logic are you standing by? The naming thing? You have the wrong fantasy series.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't realized that Pokemon and I were siblings until just now! Who knew?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frisco, you do know that Merry and Pippin are going to get married and have children, right?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I assume you mean that they'll adopt? I'm glad that The Shire's morality can accomodate them.

Yeah, to be honest, I was worried that the Shirefolk were too rural and bigoted to accept people different from themselves. Glad to see my worries of homophobia were unfounded -- clearly hobbits are a more advanced race than man.
Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Frodo and Bilbo both end in "o", I don't call that even similar. Siblings always seem to have similar roots in their names in Tolkein books. I have seen it mentioned in multiple places not just a couple sites, I'm not going to post every single place where I find evidence of Smeagol and Deagol being brothers.

[ December 29, 2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: newfoundlogic ]

Shan
Member # 4550

You could try reading the book . . . [Dont Know]
Shan
Member # 4550

The Fellowship of the Rings (authorized edition)

Start at the bottom of page 83 and continue on from there:

"Long after, but still very long ago, there lived by the banks of the Great River on the edge of Wilderland a clever-handed and quiet-footed little people. I guess they were of hobbit-kind; akin to the fathers of the fathers of the Stoors . . . The most inquisitive and curious-minded . . . was . . . Smeagol . . .He had a friend called Deagol . . ."

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
But everyone knows books are obsolete, of course websites would be more authoritative.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
But everyone knows books are obsolete, of course websites would be more authoritative.
Damn. I didn't know that.

But I did read it on a website, it must be true...

Shan
Member # 4550

It's okay, Lalo.

*pat pats Lalo's head*

I would suggest getting your copies of the trilogy at the used bookstore. They cost less that way. [Big Grin]

newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I already addressed that point. I had said brothers are often friends and described as such, therefore there is no clear cut evidence either way.
Javert Hugo
Member # 3980

- posted      Profile for Javert Hugo   Email Javert Hugo         Edit/Delete Post 
Just so we're clear...

You are not claiming that Tolkein ever said they were brothers. You are saying Tolkein said they were friends, but based on your super-duper-naming strategy, they must also, by necessity, be brothers.

Wrong fantasy series, nfl. The explanation that brothers have similar names was in The Horse and His Boy.

Posts: 1753 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
I think that their names are similar to contrast them. "Deagol" means "secret" in Old English, and "smeagol" means something like "ponderer, considerer," or some such. I guess it fits with his description of being "inquisitive and curious-minded."
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Princess Leah
Member # 6026

Let me just take this moment to say that my interest in languages and linguistics comes almost entirely from Tolkien and his supremem genius in that sort of thing that you just mentioned.
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
We really need a complete searchable text online, as we have with other scriptures. I understand the copyright still exists on this work, but hey, they need to get over it and realize this is IMPORTANT!!!!!

Then we could do a search on all occurrences of the word Deagol, and I'm sure it would be clear that they are friends or distant cousins.

When was the last time you referred to your brother like this, "I have this friend who...."? That makes no sense. Nobody does that in the English language.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

Javert Hugo, this is definitely the only fantasy series I'm talking about. Furthermore, its not some weird naming strategy, its what Tolkein does with brothers. I've pointed out that Boromir and Faramir also have the same ending. Its pretty simple, consistent, and makes sense. Finally, no one has shown anything conclusive .
ana kata
Member # 5666

- posted      Profile for ana kata   Email ana kata         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien's naming scheme for brothers is not nearly so consistent as you are trying to maintain. Also, there are vastly different cultures represented. The closest surviving culture to the proto-Stoors beside the Anduin (Smeagol's people) would be the hobbits in the Shire and in Bree. There is nothing like consistent naming of brothers in the Shire hobbits. I will give you specific examples from the geneologies when I get home and check. I don't think we know enough about the relationships of the Bree hobbits to say, for them.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newfoundlogic
Member # 3907

I'd like to see an example where the names are like I described they're not siblings. If you do that I'll concede.
TomDavidson
Member # 124

*sigh* Let me reiterate this: Deagol and Smeagol are cousins.

Not just friends. But not brothers. This is in the text, although I'm too lazy to find it. But when somebody else reads through all the appendices and prefaces to find it for me, those of you who didn't believe me will slap your foreheads and go, "Duh. Should have believed Tom."

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.